Christmas Trip Pros and Cons

Princess Merida

DIS Veteran
Hello! My family and I are considering a 2021 Christmas trip. We would like to go for about 10 days and my oldest child doesn't want to miss any school so in order to avoid that we would have to be there for Christmas. There would be 10 of us in 3 rooms(my parents, sister and bil, their boys 10 and 3, husband and I with girls 9 and 14). Budget is definitely going to be for a value hotel at Christmas rates. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this. Did you decorate your room? Ship wrapped presents there? Santa come? Where to eat? Magic Kingdom on Christmas day? I'd love to hear about anything good or bad.

We did this years ago. We drove down, so we had some extra packing room. I brought a small Christmas tree. We discussed Christmas gifts before we left. I told the girls (ages seven, eighteen, and tweny-five) that the trip was their basic gift, but that I would buy each of them three gifts while at Disney. AND, thank goodness, as we were putting the suitcases in the car, I threw in their winter coats. I was glad I did. Christmas Eve and Christmas day had the temperture hovering at freezing. We had a fun time, but it was a bit chaotic-school, the holidays, crowded parks, and the drive down and home.

You might need to wait until closer to Christmas 2021 to see what even happens with the parks. Currently, only one one of the All Stars is open, Pop Century and Arts of Animation for value resorts. Two of the All Stars are still closed with no date for opening. You might even want to watch to see what happens this year for the Christmas holiday.

Hello! My family and I are considering a 2021 Christmas trip. We would like to go for about 10 days and my oldest child doesn't want to miss any school so in order to avoid that we would have to be there for Christmas. There would be 10 of us in 3 rooms(my parents, sister and bil, their boys 10 and 3, husband and I with girls 9 and 14). Budget is definitely going to be for a value hotel at Christmas rates. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this. Did you decorate your room? Ship wrapped presents there? Santa come? Where to eat? Magic Kingdom on Christmas day? I'd love to hear about anything good or bad.

Okay so some background - we went for Christmas week every year from 2009 - 2018. We're an older family. We started going when I was in my sophomore year of college and my sister was working as a teacher for a few years (so could provide some feedback regarding the school part.)

We went in 2009 as a one-time celebration. We had always gone during the summertime since my parents never wanted to take us out of school and because that's what worked best for my parents. By 2009 my dad was retired for a few years, my mom had enough seniority to take off whenever, and my sister had off during school breaks, and my college had the month-or-so off for Christmas break. My dad had battled cancer and went into remission in 2009, and he said "you know what? Let's go celebrate in Disney!"

Traveling
We drove down to save costs at the time and because my parents weren't too keen on flying. We always drove growing up (from NY) so it wasn't a huge deal. In 2010 we tried Amtrak and....never again. We drove again in 2011, and have flown ever since.

Christmas Eve falls on a Friday this year, so this could add some hiccups if you choose to fly. You now have the premium of flying during a holiday + flying on a weekend. If you can fly on 12/23, then I'd push to fly out that Thursday, as you may save some money. I'd also consider Southwest. The beauty of Southwest is that if the cost of your trip goes down, you can get a credit for the difference. So if you pay $200 to fly and 2 months later you spot it at $150, you will get a $50 credit per person (if you're quick enough.) For this reason I'd recommend booking two one-way tickets, rather than round trips. Just easier to deal. Buying with points is even easier. You simply choose the cheaper fare and it'll refund your account with points.

I'd write down everyone's confirmation numbers in your notes app, screenshot it, and have the two most tech-savvy people hold onto it. Check on Tuesdays, when most airlines have sales, and keep an eye out for sale emails. That's when you jump on and check if the fare went down.

Also SW allows up to 2 bags per person to fly free, and are pretty accommodating with carry-ons.

Hotels
We aways stayed Mod just because we were older and needed the space and larger beds. As we got older and could pay our own way, we upgraded to deluxe. Having gone to different resorts to grab a bite to eat, I'd say Art of Animation is probably the best decorated for Christmas. POP would be a good option, as you can walk over to AoA to grab a bite to eat and walk the grounds...and is also cheaper than AoA.

It's a tired cliche, but if you don't plan on spending a lot of time at the resort, then you don't really need a nice resort or room. We begged for a full balcony at Beach Club one year and were upgraded and used it maybe twice during our 8-night trip.

Where resorts come in handy are with the crowds. A big hotel with a lot of people could mean long waits for the bus, which makes it harder to get to the park for rope drop and at the end of the night when you wanna just get home and sleep? You're standing in line for the bus waiting. And just when you think you'll get on the next bus? Two wheelchairs show up and you're stuck waiting longer. Just something to keep in mind. A resort with the skyliner may be worth grabbing or pay a little extra for a preferred building closer to the main bus terminal.

As far as decorating, we never really did anything crazy, but people do. We'd bring a few paper window decorations and clings from the 99-cent store mostly because we didn't wanna lug heavy stuff in our luggage. In today's day and age, it's probably way easier. You can probably get a tiny tree delivered with your groceries now or send stuff to your resort through amazon and have it waiting for you.

Oh yea... that's another thing. To save space we almost always send toiletries down in a box. The box arrives around a day or two before we get down and is waiting for us at checkout. You can do that with Christmas decorations and gifts, too.

Gifts
Can't speak to this, as we never exchanged. Our trip was our gift. My mom would usually buy us a souvenir since she's a softy.

It's not just about the parks
That's the thing... it's crowded, but it's not just about the parks.
We've had nights where we go to Disney Springs and see the Christmas Tree Trail.
We do a monorail crawl and stop at each of the resorts and tour the lobbies.
We do Wilderness Lodge and AKL, which IMO are the two best decorated resorts.
We take a break from Epcot and go to Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin.
Fort Wilderness does a carriage ride, and many of the campers decorate their campsite. Really cool to do one night.
Take an Uber over to Gaylord Palms and do the ICE walkthrough

The Parks/The Crowds
As I mentioned above, there's more to do than just the parks. Of course the photos of crowds at Disney could make you anxious, but when you consider all the things outside the parks, it's really an amazing destination.

If you plan right (or close to right), you can have a great time. Personally, I'm a big fan of getting in for EMH or morning rope drop, getting a ton done, getting in a few FP+ from 10am-1pm, then heading out for the afternoon. It honestly doesn't get overwhelmingly crowded until ~11am. That's when you really notice the crowds and wait times start to skyrocket.

^^ For example, we used to do Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day. The park would open at 7am for EMH. We'd arrive by 6:45am. We'd do Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, PeopleMover, and get photos in front of the castle all before the park opened to general public at 8am. Then we'd do less popular rope drop rides, like Pirates, etc. We'd have a FP+ for Thunder Mountain, 7DMT, and Haunted Mansion (since my mom likes that the most). We'd do a parade, castle show, and leave by 130-2pm for the day.

Park Hopper is your friend. We'd usually split up Epcot and DHS to make the most of it, as without FP+ you're gonna spend a lot of time waiting in line.

So one day we'd do DHS in the morning, then Epcot at night. We'd do:
Tower of Terror FP+
Rock n Roller Coaster FP+
Toy Story Mania

Then we'd take a break at the hotel, then hop over to Epcot in the evening either after dinner or to grab dinner, and do the nighttime show and have some snacks around the world.

Another day we'd do:
Dine around Epcot in the afternoon.
~ Quick break at the hotel ~
Head to DHS for FP+ and nighttime entertainment:
Slinky Dog Coaster FP+
Tower of Terror FP+ (different experience at night)

Obviously this changes now with so many more offerings and different tiers... But this allows us to see and do everything. Another day we'd do Frozen at Epcot and Spaceship earth FP+, but with construction going on I wouldn't waste my FP+ there

Okay, the pros and cons...

Pros

It's the most amazing time to visit Disney. Seriously. You'll read a lot of negative posts about the crowds and cost but there's a reason why we kept going back. Yes, it's crazy crowded during normal times, but the parks are just infinitely more magical during the holidays. And the holidays last longer at Disney. Especially as we get older, it can be hard to find time to enjoy with one another, so having the holiday last days after just keeps the magic going.

Tons of holiday snacks and food - Disney always brings the heat with snacks and holiday offerings. We usually just do a day of eating at Epcot alone.

The decorations are incredible. Do a monorail crawl and go see all the MK resorts. Grand Floridian is probably the best on the monorail. The Wilderness Lodge is the most Christmas-y. Animal Kingdom Lodge is a close second.

With kiddies your travel habits are gonna be different than ours. Having been so many years and being older, we were okay skipping the parks on certain days or in the afternoon and hanging by the pool or doing Disney Springs.

As my mom would say: "no cooking, no cleaning, no worrying about gifts." Even as we were cooking for our small 3-person Thanksgiving, my mom looked up and was like "Disney was expensive, but man, at least we didn't have to do dishes."

The Cons
Most expensive time of the year to go. Some would argue you can go earlier in December and experience Disney during Christmas, with lighter crowds... but like you said... beggars can't be choosers. it's tough with school breaks.

The crowds make it difficult, but who knows what capacity will be like in 2021 (praying it's back to normal) and if you plan your day right and temper expectations you'll be fine.

As I mentioned above, it's gonna be expensive to fly.,.. especially this year when airlines will be looking to make money and demand to travel will be at an all-time high if things clear up.

There's uncertainty. I'd love to tell you to book a DVC and save some cash. Heck, I was looking at doing that as we plan on returning in 2021, but you can't chance booking it and losing out on the money.

It could be tough with young kids. They wanna see everything, they wanna do everything, but Disney is PACKED and it's hard to see and do everyting. I wouldn't recommend it for first-timers, unless you really plan on going back at some point. You're gonna miss out on a lot of things. That's just the honest truth.

Don't go if you want a traditional Christmas. We always went under the assumption that this was our escape from normal Christmas. No cooking, no cleaning, no worrying about seeing everyone.

That's all I can think of now. I will add more if it comes to mind.

Okay so some background - we went for Christmas week every year from 2009 - 2018. We're an older family. We started going when I was in my sophomore year of college and my sister was working as a teacher for a few years (so could provide some feedback regarding the school part.)

We went in 2009 as a one-time celebration. We had always gone during the summertime since my parents never wanted to take us out of school and because that's what worked best for my parents. By 2009 my dad was retired for a few years, my mom had enough seniority to take off whenever, and my sister had off during school breaks, and my college had the month-or-so off for Christmas break. My dad had battled cancer and went into remission in 2009, and he said "you know what? Let's go celebrate in Disney!"

Traveling
We drove down to save costs at the time and because my parents weren't too keen on flying. We always drove growing up (from NY) so it wasn't a huge deal. In 2010 we tried Amtrak and....never again. We drove again in 2011, and have flown ever since.

Christmas Eve falls on a Friday this year, so this could add some hiccups if you choose to fly. You now have the premium of flying during a holiday + flying on a weekend. If you can fly on 12/23, then I'd push to fly out that Thursday, as you may save some money. I'd also consider Southwest. The beauty of Southwest is that if the cost of your trip goes down, you can get a credit for the difference. So if you pay $200 to fly and 2 months later you spot it at $150, you will get a $50 credit per person (if you're quick enough.) For this reason I'd recommend booking two one-way tickets, rather than round trips. Just easier to deal. Buying with points is even easier. You simply choose the cheaper fare and it'll refund your account with points.

I'd write down everyone's confirmation numbers in your notes app, screenshot it, and have the two most tech-savvy people hold onto it. Check on Tuesdays, when most airlines have sales, and keep an eye out for sale emails. That's when you jump on and check if the fare went down.

Also SW allows up to 2 bags per person to fly free, and are pretty accommodating with carry-ons.

Hotels
We aways stayed Mod just because we were older and needed the space and larger beds. As we got older and could pay our own way, we upgraded to deluxe. Having gone to different resorts to grab a bite to eat, I'd say Art of Animation is probably the best decorated for Christmas. POP would be a good option, as you can walk over to AoA to grab a bite to eat and walk the grounds...and is also cheaper than AoA.

It's a tired cliche, but if you don't plan on spending a lot of time at the resort, then you don't really need a nice resort or room. We begged for a full balcony at Beach Club one year and were upgraded and used it maybe twice during our 8-night trip.

Where resorts come in handy are with the crowds. A big hotel with a lot of people could mean long waits for the bus, which makes it harder to get to the park for rope drop and at the end of the night when you wanna just get home and sleep? You're standing in line for the bus waiting. And just when you think you'll get on the next bus? Two wheelchairs show up and you're stuck waiting longer. Just something to keep in mind. A resort with the skyliner may be worth grabbing or pay a little extra for a preferred building closer to the main bus terminal.

As far as decorating, we never really did anything crazy, but people do. We'd bring a few paper window decorations and clings from the 99-cent store mostly because we didn't wanna lug heavy stuff in our luggage. In today's day and age, it's probably way easier. You can probably get a tiny tree delivered with your groceries now or send stuff to your resort through amazon and have it waiting for you.

Oh yea... that's another thing. To save space we almost always send toiletries down in a box. The box arrives around a day or two before we get down and is waiting for us at checkout. You can do that with Christmas decorations and gifts, too.

Gifts
Can't speak to this, as we never exchanged. Our trip was our gift. My mom would usually buy us a souvenir since she's a softy.

It's not just about the parks
That's the thing... it's crowded, but it's not just about the parks.
We've had nights where we go to Disney Springs and see the Christmas Tree Trail.
We do a monorail crawl and stop at each of the resorts and tour the lobbies.
We do Wilderness Lodge and AKL, which IMO are the two best decorated resorts.
We take a break from Epcot and go to Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin.
Fort Wilderness does a carriage ride, and many of the campers decorate their campsite. Really cool to do one night.
Take an Uber over to Gaylord Palms and do the ICE walkthrough

The Parks/The Crowds
As I mentioned above, there's more to do than just the parks. Of course the photos of crowds at Disney could make you anxious, but when you consider all the things outside the parks, it's really an amazing destination.

If you plan right (or close to right), you can have a great time. Personally, I'm a big fan of getting in for EMH or morning rope drop, getting a ton done, getting in a few FP+ from 10am-1pm, then heading out for the afternoon. It honestly doesn't get overwhelmingly crowded until ~11am. That's when you really notice the crowds and wait times start to skyrocket.

^^ For example, we used to do Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day. The park would open at 7am for EMH. We'd arrive by 6:45am. We'd do Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, PeopleMover, and get photos in front of the castle all before the park opened to general public at 8am. Then we'd do less popular rope drop rides, like Pirates, etc. We'd have a FP+ for Thunder Mountain, 7DMT, and Haunted Mansion (since my mom likes that the most). We'd do a parade, castle show, and leave by 130-2pm for the day.

Park Hopper is your friend. We'd usually split up Epcot and DHS to make the most of it, as without FP+ you're gonna spend a lot of time waiting in line.

So one day we'd do DHS in the morning, then Epcot at night. We'd do:
Tower of Terror FP+
Toy Story Mania

Then we'd take a break at the hotel, then hop over to Epcot in the evening either after dinner or to grab dinner, and do the nighttime show and have some snacks around the world.

Another day we'd do:
Dine around Epcot in the afternoon.
~ Quick break at the hotel ~
Head to DHS for FP+ and nighttime entertainment:
Slinky Dog Coaster FP+
Tower of Terror FP+ (different experience at night)

Obviously this changes now with so many more offerings and different tiers... But this allows us to see and do everything. Another day we'd do Frozen at Epcot and Spaceship earth FP+, but with construction going on I wouldn't waste my FP+ there

Okay, the pros and cons...

Pros

It's the most amazing time to visit Disney. Seriously. You'll read a lot of negative posts about the crowds and cost but there's a reason why we kept going back. Yes, it's crazy crowded during normal times, but the parks are just infinitely more magical during the holidays. And the holidays last longer at Disney. Especially as we get older, it can be hard to find time to enjoy with one another, so having the holiday last days after just keeps the magic going.

Tons of holiday snacks and food - Disney always brings the heat with snacks and holiday offerings. We usually just do a day of eating at Epcot alone.

The decorations are incredible. Do a monorail crawl and go see all the MK resorts. Grand Floridian is probably the best on the monorail. The Wilderness Lodge is the most Christmas-y. Animal Kingdom Lodge is a close second.

With kiddies your travel habits are gonna be different than ours. Having been so many years and being older, we were okay skipping the parks on certain days or in the afternoon and hanging by the pool or doing Disney Springs.

As my mom would say: "no cooking, no cleaning, no worrying about gifts." Even as we were cooking for our small 3-person Thanksgiving, my mom looked up and was like "Disney was expensive, but man, at least we didn't have to do dishes."

The Cons
Most expensive time of the year to go. Some would argue you can go earlier in December and experience Disney during Christmas, with lighter crowds... but like you said... beggars can't be choosers. it's tough with school breaks.

The crowds make it difficult, but who knows what capacity will be like in 2021 (praying it's back to normal) and if you plan your day right and temper expectations you'll be fine.

As I mentioned above, it's gonna be expensive to fly.,.. especially this year when airlines will be looking to make money and demand to travel will be at an all-time high if things clear up.

There's uncertainty. I'd love to tell you to book a DVC and save some cash. Heck, I was looking at doing that as we plan on returning in 2021, but you can't chance booking it and losing out on the money.

It could be tough with young kids. They wanna see everything, they wanna do everything, but Disney is PACKED and it's hard to see and do everyting. I wouldn't recommend it for first-timers, unless you really plan on going back at some point. You're gonna miss out on a lot of things. That's just the honest truth.

Don't go if you want a traditional Christmas. We always went under the assumption that this was our escape from normal Christmas. No cooking, no cleaning, no worrying about seeing everyone.

That's all I can think of now. I will add more if it comes to mind.
Wow!! Thank you so much! This is a lot of great information.

We did this exact trip Christmas 2019. We stayed from Dec 22, 2019-Jan 1, 2020 at Pop Century Resort and loved it! It was me, DH, DD 19, DS 17 and DD 11 at the time. We were lucky enough to have two inter-connecting rooms, so it felt like one big room. We decided to drive down not only because the flights were expensive, but, we also wanted to have a car for transportation flexibility. I'm really glad we chose to take our car because we wound up using it more than I thought we would.

I started to plan this trip about a little over one year prior. On Christmas Day 2018 I would check the MDE app to see how the wait times were and how the crowds would be. I started making an itinerary with several changes along the way, lol. I had an idea of which parks we would go to each day. We also chose to get park hoppers.

We celebrated Christmas at our house, with our extended family, the weekend prior to us leaving for Disney. My youngest was concerned that we weren't going to celebrate at all. We chose to give the kids any gifts that were too big to travel with, or we weren't comfortable leaving in our hotel room unattended, at home, and the rest of the gifts came with us to Disney. I wrapped those gifts and packed them, and some garbage bags, into a separate suitcase. We brought a small Christmas tree, about the size of a table top artificial tree. It was small enough to fit in the car. We also brought battery operated lights and suction cup hooks to hang on the windows and garland to lay on top of the head board of the beds. We chose to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve after we got back from EPCOT. We left EPCOT early and opened our gifts that evening.

Christmas day we went to Magic Kingdom early in the morning and visited the MK resorts in the afternoon and went back to the MK for Christmas dinner. We had dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. They had a family style type meal that I would probably cook at home on Christmas.

The parks were packed from Christmas day to NYE. I set up our itinerary to be as flexible as possible. I set up our 3 fast passes and ADR's and the rest we kind of went with the flow.

I would love to go back for Christmas again! The good outweighed anything negative! Happy planning!

My second and fifth trips to Disney were Christmas trips. It’s my absolute favorite time to visit, hands down. The weather is typically warm but not unbearable. Festival of the Holidays will shell out some incredible food and beverages. The decorations are unbelievable. There’s an electricity that run through the entire place. It’s simply amazing.

If you are a mega-planner and aren’t afraid to do the research, then you can do Disney during Christmas. Be well-informed and have a few back-up plans for when things go wrong, a you will have a fantastic time. Being flexible is the greatest thing anyone can do at WDW during the holidays.

We’ve gone twice the week just before Christmas, including last year. So about Dec 20-26. That week is my favorite because the crowds aren’t too crazy (yet) but park hours generally get lengthened so that if you are willing to rise early, you can get a lot done before most folks have finished breakfast. Also, that week the Xmas parade takes over for the Festival of Fantasy in MK without having to pay for a hard ticket event to see it. Our first Xmas trip we had perfect weather, last year it was cold and poured every day until Christmas Day. So pack layers and a rain jacket (I hate ponchos). Last year for my boys (ages 3 and 8) their Star Wars droids at Galaxy’s Edge was their big gift, and I also used Amazon to ship a few small things to hotel. Last December, we had Christmas Eve dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern in MK, and Christmas Day dinner at Storybook Dining at Artist Point, which was perfect. We love spending Xmas Day at Animal Kingdom because it is the least popular choice. Last year they had the magical menagerie puppets which were really special, I hope they find a way to bring them back someday.

We usually go either for Christmas or thanksgiving every year since 2006. Christmas will always be the most crowded time to go. If you could go the weekend before Christmas to start, then you might have a few days with lower crowds. The parks will typically be open for longer hours, but don’t know how that will be next year. The one thing we really enjoy are the storytellers around the world Showcase for the holidays. They are not there this year, you could hope about next year, but with all the cuts I don’t know if everything will be fully back next year. Also, the candlelight processional is to not be missed as well. The one piece of advice I can give is to avoid MK on Christmas Day. We typically do AK in the morning and then do dinner at a resort of HDR, but again don’t know if that would be back next year. Main thing is to pack your patience.

We have never done Christmas Day, but it has been a curiosity. We go every year either the week before or after, though. Love being there for Halloween and Christmas seasons! We do take one present for each kid in a “spare suitcase,” so the kids don’t suspect anything. Just something to open and enjoy in the evenings to allow us time to unwind. :-)

Don't forget about the Holiday Processional at EPCOT. Well worth it. One of our best times was going to see Snake Plisken. (Kurt Russell for the uninformed)

We have enjoyed the Christmas Holiday at WDW three times. Yes, it is crowded. We knew that it would be. Yes, the temperatures can REALLY fluctuate. We learned that the hard way. Missing school?? I was an elementary school principal 13 years. Absences often depend on the child and family. It seems those that care about school compensate and the children do well anyway. Decorating the room? It depends on the size of the room. A lighted garland between wall sconces is festive and a tree is not necessary for us. Presents? For the most part the trip is the "present". If gifts are a necessity, Santa may be able to come after the vacation at home. Where to eat? An endless list of great places depending on budget and schedules. MK on Christmas Day? So crowded, so festive, just bring patience for creating wonderful memories!!! In 2021 we are doing it all again and can't wait.

Yes said:
You said it! We were there in 2018 (left Christmas Eve), and it hit low 40s! The poor kids, we stayed at a resort because it had an amazing water play area and heated pool. They toughed it out, until their lips turned purple, lol.

We visited at Christmas time for 8 years but usually left on the evening of 26th or 27th December (staying around 17 nights). We only braved MK once on Christmas day and that was enough. After that we went to Epcot which was defintely manageable with crowd levels. For us the highlight is visiting all the resorts to check out the Christmas decorations, taste the holiday treats and dine at their restaurants (all pre COVID of course).

As others have mentioned the weather is hit and miss. We've had to defrost the car in the mornings, then by lunchtime we're wearing a vest and suncream. Other times it's been warm or cold all day and soon learned to pack for all eventualities. The only plus is we rarely saw rain.

We made wonderful Christmas memories - watching the Christmas parade, meeting Father Christmas in HS and Epcot and just immersing ourselves in the Disney Christmas spirit. I feel sad we can't go again for a long time. I say go for it, you won't regret it.

We love spending Xmas Day at Animal Kingdom because it is the least popular choice. Last year they had the magical menagerie puppets which were really special, I hope they find a way to bring them back someday.

We were also at AK on Christmas Day last year! The crowds were so manageable that we actually did a few standby lines. The new holiday decorations are some of my favorite.

Lots to think about. Sounds like if we decide to go then we should maybe do MK on Christmas Eve and maybe Epcot or AK or both on Christmas day. I would probably ship a mini tree to the resort from amazon and maybe pack some dollar store decorations I could throw out. The trip would be the present from us, but Santa would still come. Maybe Santa could send a wrapped box of gifts to the resort as well, but this could be difficult since my kids aren't so little anymore. Hmmmm maybe Santa would put everything in my parents room. That could work. I have experienced lots of things at Disney, but I've never attended festival of the holidays. I love food and wine so I'm sure I would really enjoy it. Is there anywhere on property that close to Christmas where my youngest could visit with Santa? Thank you all for sharing these experiences and tips!

Sounds like if we decide to go then we should maybe do MK on Christmas Eve and maybe Epcot or AK or both on Christmas day.
Be aware that in addition to tickets, everyone must have a park reservation. I think right now those are fairly open, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start to fill up soon, especially DHS. And there won't be park-hopping until Jan. 1st.

Is there anywhere on property that close to Christmas where my youngest could visit with Santa?
There aren't any direct character meet & greets on property, including Santa. However there are "character cavalcades" taking place in each park and I believe Santa joins at least some of these.

We're taking a December 2021 trip, too. I have really only been to WDW in December because when I was a kid I didn't want to miss school and now I'm a teacher and...still don't want to miss school. Anyway, the weather is weird and it's packed, but make the most of it! We don't go to WDW every year because it's an expensive trip for us coming from the west coast, but we do travel somewhere every winter, usually to some amusement park. They're all packed. They're all crazy. But, it really is the most magical time (and in FL the best time of year weather-wise as far as I'm concerned).

I'm actually here hoping to see people's ideas for Christmas day. We normally leave the day after Christmas or are back by Christmas Eve, but we'll still be at WDW on Christmas day. My kids all still believe in Santa (ages 7, 7, and 10) and while I think my oldest probably won't believe by next year, my little ones will. I was thinking about just buying a few things there, but with flying, I'm not sure I want too much stuff. I honestly think Santa might just come early to my house because our elf on a shelf will tell him we won't be home on Christmas day and he'll leave each kid $100 for souvenirs and some clothes to wear with a Disney theme. The other option is doing something at the hotel, but that also means more to fly with. Even bringing back souvenirs is something I'm a little iffy on with the cost of extra baggage. Disney, in normal years, does some great little gift baskets/boxes though. They aren't doing them this year I believe, but someone on these boards gave me a link where you can see what they provide on special request (and at a cost) in non-COVID years. I'll see if I can find it.

We're taking a December 2021 trip, too. I have really only been to WDW in December because when I was a kid I didn't want to miss school and now I'm a teacher and...still don't want to miss school. Anyway, the weather is weird and it's packed, but make the most of it! We don't go to WDW every year because it's an expensive trip for us coming from the west coast, but we do travel somewhere every winter, usually to some amusement park. They're all packed. They're all crazy. But, it really is the most magical time (and in FL the best time of year weather-wise as far as I'm concerned).

I'm actually here hoping to see people's ideas for Christmas day. We normally leave the day after Christmas or are back by Christmas Eve, but we'll still be at WDW on Christmas day. My kids all still believe in Santa (ages 7, 7, and 10) and while I think my oldest probably won't believe by next year, my little ones will. I was thinking about just buying a few things there, but with flying, I'm not sure I want too much stuff. I honestly think Santa might just come early to my house because our elf on a shelf will tell him we won't be home on Christmas day and he'll leave each kid $100 for souvenirs and some clothes to wear with a Disney theme. The other option is doing something at the hotel, but that also means more to fly with. Even bringing back souvenirs is something I'm a little iffy on with the cost of extra baggage. Disney, in normal years, does some great little gift baskets/boxes though. They aren't doing them this year I believe, but someone on these boards gave me a link where you can see what they provide on special request (and at a cost) in non-COVID years. I'll see if I can find it.
First of all, thank you for teaching. It's a tough job made even more challenging during these times! I really like your idea of shopping while there for the gifts. That would help so much with my Santa dilemma and it never even crossed my mind. I would have a great time leaving the kids with my parents to eat, drink, and shop. Maybe I could finally go to Wine Bar George while I'm out. We always fly Southwest and could bring extra bags with snacks and drinks on the way down and then pack the gifts in them for the flight home. I will also look into the gift baskets. Thanks so much!

One thing I did was pay attention to what our daughter commented on wanting at the gift shops. Then later I’d go back and buy some of those things and most were small. You could pack a small backpack or duffle to carry them back on the plane.
One year, we pretended that Mickey came to the room each night and dropped off a toy esp if she’d been good at the park. I picked up little things before the trip like those washcloths that expand in water and DIsney characters on them or Disney candy treats or snacks, coloring books, and/or things you didn't need to bring back but we’re easy to hide in your suitcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter