Class of 2021 Parents

Hello all....

Been a while since I checked in. Glad to see everything is doing okay moving along with this stressful college application process. DD got all of her applications in. There were a total of 7 and she received acceptance from all of them. We have gotten several merit scholarships in the mail, but are far off on making a decision. At this point, we are filling out scholarship applications and scheduling music auditions. Both my 2021 and 2023 kids are doing a hybrid schedule and excelling with it which I'm happy to see. I know a lot of kids have had trouble with time management and doing work on their own and online. DD got a little bit of a marching band season. There were no competitions though and only football games. She got to conduct at the homecoming game which she was pretty proud of herself that night. The homecoming dance was canceled. We got senior pictures done and I'm just keeping my fingers that we get graduation.

No acceptances here yet but he only submitted last week. FAFSA is done and submitted, so now he can start looking for scholarships.

So our school district just called it. Starting tomorrow the entire district is fully remote. We kind of already knew it would happen this week. Cohort A (Tues-Wed) kids were saying that all their teachers were saying goodbye to them over the past two days. My Cohort B kids are at the HS now, I guess having their last day. I feel worse for the K-5 in our district who were in person 5 days a week. That's going to majorly change things for them, especially for the parents. DS has five more weeks until he graduates, so this won't impact him too greatly. They know they were at least lucky to start in person.

So DS finally has an SAT score, from the free test at school. He definitely did better on the ACT so we’ll just let that SAT sit. I know it’s still early in the process, but does anyone have any more updates or acceptances? And did anyone else's newly minted 18yo get a tattoo? 🤣 He’s wanted to get inked for about 2.5 years now, so he had plenty of time to decide what he wanted to get. The artist did a great job and it looks fabulous!

How are everyone's remote learning grades looking? :duck:
DS was bad, but not concerned since he won't be reporting those grades to the universities. DD class of '23 though - VERY CONCERNED!! It's not fair that her school district is fully remote while schools in Orange County are open.

So DS finally has an SAT score, from the free test at school. He definitely did better on the ACT so we’ll just let that SAT sit. I know it’s still early in the process, but does anyone have any more updates or acceptances? And did anyone else's newly minted 18yo get a tattoo? 🤣 He’s wanted to get inked for about 2.5 years now, so he had plenty of time to decide what he wanted to get. The artist did a great job and it looks fabulous!
My daughter has 2 tattoos already at 18. LOL We let her get them at 16 and 17. We had to "approve" of them and also we definitely had to go because she was underage. She has a tiny one that says "blessed" on the inside of her wrist in red. And one on her arm with an infinity heart and the word family. She's thinking of another one on her leg soon.

Well add this to the is Covid craziness, DD's school district got hacked by ransomware, so they can't go onto their laptops or anything(at least for 3 days, I'm sure it will be longer)- and the school district is HUGE and fully virtual. We can't win I swear. UGHHHHHHHH

Mine are still remote, but honestly it’s fine. Dd has 4 AP classes and 3 other classes and has straight A’s so far, ds only has 2 AP’s but only got 1 B+. Dd went to philly with her sister and some friends on Saturday, she liked temple and it’s a contender because of a nice scholarship. She missed her last 2 soccer games after getting * COVID, ds finished the season. As far as tattoos, they turn 18 in January and all 5 kids have been waiting to get small sibling tattoos. DH and I were invited to participate but are opting out.

DD is playing though? Good for them! CIF in CA is still very much up-in-the-air. Nobody is playing any HS sports until '21 (training, yes, playing, no). A lot of parents are now lobbying CIF to give the kids back the year of eligibility they are losing so they can just pull the kids out in '20-'21 and try again in Fall '21. It is exceeding rare that kids are doing OK with Remote learning here. D's and F's are up by some ridiculous percentage, and it's not C's going to F's, it's A's going to F's. So at my wits end right now...

My DD, had straight A's first quarter, hopefully will have the same this quarter. of course report cards were supposed to come out today, BUT with our school system being hacked by the ransomware, I'm assuming she won't get it.

DD is playing though? Good for them! CIF in CA is still very much up-in-the-air. Nobody is playing any HS sports until '21 (training, yes, playing, no). A lot of parents are now lobbying CIF to give the kids back the year of eligibility they are losing so they can just pull the kids out in '20-'21 and try again in Fall '21. It is exceeding rare that kids are doing OK with Remote learning here. D's and F's are up by some ridiculous percentage, and it's not C's going to F's, it's A's going to F's. So at my wits end right now...
Our fall sports were allowed to play, it was wonderful! Fortunately Dd19 and Dd17 are good at teaching themselves material, and that ds17 has Dd17, his friends, and her friends. The content is easier than usual, Dd17 has no hope for AP macroeconomics exam.

DS is a straight A student and that hasn‘t changed. He has gotten in to two of the five schools he applied to, one of them he got into the honors college and a good scholarship. Still waiting to hear about the honors college for the other one, and he’s still waiting to hear about admission from two of his top choices. Unfortunately, sports pre-season practices got cancelled after just a couple weeks, so he’s basically home all the time right now. I’m still sad senior year has to be this way, especially when my older son (class of 2019) had a normal year with all the bells and whistles.

Our fall sports have gone on... In fact, our football team goes to the state finals this weekend and the band doesn't get to go because they haven't been allowed to go to any away games this year. Meanwhile, they get to pack a pep bus of students to take. I'm sure there are limits and they have to wear masks, etc., but one thing that has ticked me off this year is that while the home games have had limited seating, you have to get temp checked and wear masks, they allow a student section where those kids do NOT socially distance and no one even stays on top of them about it or their mask wearing.

We're currently in remote learning (last week was Thanksgiving break), but the week before was remote, as is this week. We're supposed to go back next week. Our middle school vice principal sent a message before Thanksgiving break that there are more kids failing classes right now than there typically are at this time in the school year. I'm not worried about my senior, but my middle schooler is not as focused when they're doing remote learning. He's not failing, but not doing as well as I would like. And I'm home half the time to stay on top of him -- what about other parents who don't have that flexibility? Ugh.

So, back to our seniors... For those of you whose kids do sports and other extracurriculars, are they planning on continuing that in college? I really wish DS was considering marching band (big SEC school), but I think he's done. My plan was to take a trip down there this fall for a football game to see the band in action, but obviously that didn't happen because of the ability to get tickets. In fact, only half the band plays at home games (they take turns) and they only play in the stands, not the field.

While the kids are definitely more resilient than us, I'm just so bummed that this is their senior year. I feel optimistic that they should have a semi-normal freshman year in college though.

I wanted to do some stocking stuffers/gifts for my DD for Christmas. i want to do a "dorm room" gift. Any ideas? We got a comforter set online black friday for a great deal already.

Time to toss the cap! DS finished HS today! Without fanfare, pomp, or circumstance, just the final day of online school. And then he went to work a shift at his job. 🤣 He went in to school yesterday to officially ‘check out’ and turn in textbooks, get info about walking at graduation, etc. There are 33 December graduates and the staff made a big deal over them as they went through the process. We surprised him with a cake, balloons, and a graduation sign in the yard. Announcements are addressed and ready to be dropped in the mail after the new year. So it’s in to the workforce for the next year and as a foreigner he’ll have to register for university in person in Buenos Aires in October, then classes will begin in March 2022. He’ll target his move date somewhere in between there. So I will bow out of this thread now, but will definitely be checking in for updates, acceptances, and all of the exciting stuff. It is my most fervent wish that everyone will get an in person graduation this spring! On the sunniest, most beautiful day of the year. Best of luck to all of our students and please know that I can’t wait to hear about your kid’s successes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter