• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clearwater, FL before our disney trip?

kandb

DIS Veteran
We want to spend some beach time before our week at Disney the 3rd week of August. We are going to be in FL for approx. 2 weeks. I booked a hotel in Clearwater for 4 nights/5 days but I have been researching and it seems like there is not much to do around the area. We are a family of 5, 2 adults, 2 teenagers and a 9 year old. Any suggestions/ideas? Will 5 days be too much?

We are also a family of 5, with kids in the same range. We visit Clearwater every year. Here are a few of our favorite things.

Clearwater Area
-Beaches! Sand Key and Clearwater are right next to each other, yet so different! Clearwater is fun and very lively, while Sand Key is perfect for relaxing and viewing sea life.
-Dolphin/ Pirate Cruise Tours
-Clearwater Marine Aquarium
-Tarpon Springs- sponge-docks with lots of Greek culture
-Caladesi/ Honeymoon Islands (Dunedin)
-Shopping- Countryside Mall (Clearwater)/ International Mall (Tampa) are our favorites
-Miniature Golfing (Congo Rapids is fun!)

Tampa/ St. Petersburg Area
-Tampa Bay Rays baseball game
-Florida Aquarium
-Busch Gardens/ Adventure Island
-Lowrey Park Zoo

Crystal River
-Swimming with Manatees/ Manatee viewing in Crystal River (groupon has great deals)

Have a fun vacation!

Last edited:
We are also planning 2 nights in this area before heading to WDW. We are planning a minor league baseball game, beach time, and a manatee swim for sure. We're also looking into the aquarium and/or seaside dining options. Don't forget, this side of the peninsula offers oceanview sunsets so be sure to take one in.

We had family in tampa so we visited a lot. T

@Hootenany has a great list. I can personally attest to the Clearwater beache (that's why you're there, right?), the Clearwater Aquarium, a Tampa Bay Rays game (go out and feed the sting rays in the bleachers!), Honeymoon Island (bring a gallon of mosquito repellant if you plan to hike) and swimming with the manatees. The manatees are less plentiful in the summer but there are still there.

I would add the following:

* Columbia restaurant in Ybor City. It has great food and when we went they had flamenco dancers.
* Weeki Wachee Springs. It's old fashioned authentic Florida fun ... with mermaids. It reminded me a bit of the old River Country at Disney.
* Fred Howard Park Beach. It's a lazy, laid back place with plenty of parking. Your kids can also rent stand up paddle boards and kayaks there.
* Invest in a cooler while you are there even if you end up leaving it behind.

You're going too early for the Manatee Viewing Center south of Tampa, but I thought I would include it for others reading: http://www.tampaelectric.com/company/mvc/

@Hootenany
* Weeki Wachee Springs. It's old fashioned authentic Florida fun ... with mermaids. It reminded me a bit of the old River Country at Disney.

We live about 1 or 1.5 hours south of Weeki Wachee. My kids have been there with friends and really dislike it. I would skip it. It's pretty old and run down from what my kids tell me. My oldest is 25, youngest is 14.

We live about 1 or 1.5 hours south of Weeki Wachee. My kids have been there with friends and really dislike it. I would skip it. It's pretty old and run down from what my kids tell me. My oldest is 25, youngest is 14.

It's funny that you should say that. I grew up about 2 miles from Weeki Wachee (Spring Hill). Personally, I love it and have fond memories of it as a kid. I do love it for the nostalgia and "old Florida" feeling. @robinb added it as a suggestion as it could be something the OP would find endearing as well, but it definitely has seen better times. :-)

@Hootenany has a great list. I can personally attest to the Clearwater beache (that's why you're there, right?), the Clearwater Aquarium, a Tampa Bay Rays game (go out and feed the sting rays in the bleachers!), Honeymoon Island (bring a gallon of mosquito repellant if you plan to hike) and swimming with the manatees. The manatees are less plentiful in the summer but there are still there.

I would add the following:

* Columbia restaurant in Ybor City. It has great food and when we went they had flamenco dancers.
* Fred Howard Park Beach. It's a lazy, laid back place with plenty of parking. Your kids can also rent stand up paddle boards and kayaks there.
* Invest in a cooler while you are there even if you end up leaving it behind.

You're going too early for the Manatee Viewing Center south of Tampa, but I thought I would include it for others reading: http://www.tampaelectric.com/company/mvc/

We were really excited to stop by the manatee viewing centre on our way to the Tampa airport on our recent trip, but even in February it was too warm!! (Meanwhile it was also too cold to see any in Sarasota the same week, apparently they were hiding in some mild in between spot) They said two weeks earlier they'd had 200 manatees, but none there that week. The center is really nice, though, I had expected just a viewing point and hadn't realized how much information there would be, other things to see, etc. We couldn't stay long but I would definitely check it out again on a future winter trip.

It's funny that you should say that. I grew up about 2 miles from Weeki Wachee (Spring Hill). Personally, I love it and have fond memories of it as a kid. I do love it for the nostalgia and "old Florida" feeling. @robinb added it as a suggestion as it could be something the OP would find endearing as well, but it definitely has seen better times. :-)

It's been a number of years since I've been there. Perhaps it's not the best place for teens but an 8-year old mermaid fans might find it fun, though. Where else can you see a "real" mermaid swimming around? (actually, there are bars with mermaids).

We were there in August and there were manatees in the river at Weeki Wachee and the staff had to warn us to keep our distance. My BIL also visited the area in August and he was able to swim with the manatees. We warned him tha they might not be in Crystal River then but there were :). We went with Captain Mike's to swim with the manatees.

We just spent a day in Clearwater Beach and are planning to return next year for a longer stay. We're thinking 3-4 nights, but we are the kind of people who like to sit on the beach during the day and walk somewhere for dinner at night. If you'll have a car and are willing to drive outside the immediate Clearwater area, the above list has some great options. I will add that it takes about 25-30 minutes, in no traffic, to get to the downtown Tampa area. St. Petersburg is closer.

Drive to Saint Pete Beach and take the shuttle to Shell Key. We saw soooo, sooo much cool stuff that day. We had whole pods of Mantas swim around us while we were knee deep in the water. It was one of the best times we had in FL. If anything though I would have it be the END of your trip because Disney can be so stressful, I think Clearwater Beach part is better to do second. But either way is fine and you will love it.

Also, in Clearwater at the marina do a Seascreamer dolphin tour. OMG so fun.

Edit: we have done both of these things with a ~10 year old within the last couple years.

My neighbor (who really never does anything and never spends money) had annual passes one year and took my older boys with her son a few times. They were just blah about it. My daughter went with a friend (who has 4 kiddos and on a budget) and she was really displeased with it. She said she wouldn't ever want to go back. I think it's a very low budget place to go for locals. The cost is probably the main appeal as there are much nicer places to go. An Eight year old might love it. A teen girl with annual passes to Adventure Island water park... not so much. LOL. I am also speaking of the area with the slides, etc. It can also get crowded. I am not sure if it's still as crowded for going on a kyak, etc. I personally do not like crowds.

I have been wanting to take the kids to Devil's Den. My youngest is 14 so we can do it. There is a minimum age allowed, so little kids are not welcomed here.
http://www.devilsden.com/
I would probably have to book a hotel nearby and stay the night before so we can get there super early before they stop guests after reaching capacity.
ETA: I think past years the minimum age was like 10 or 12. I am Disappointed it now says 6.
How old do children have to be to enter Devil's Den?

- Children must be 6 years of age or older and be extremely good swimmers as we don't allow any flotation devices. Anyone under the age of 18 must have a parent on site. If a parent is not present, court documentation must be presented in order to allow a guardian to sign a waiver on behalf of the minor or the person taking responsibility for the minor must have the parent write out a permission slip giving said person permission to have their child on site and this note must be notarized.

Last edited:
  • Tarpon Springs and take the boat trip out the secluded island. Many great Greek restaurants.
  • Fred Howard Park beach is one of our favs. Plenty of palm trees to set-up a blanket/chair.
  • Honeymoon Island State park is huge and easy on the eyes.
  • Ybor for a nice daytime visit. Take the trolley to the convention center and enjoy the river walk.
  • Eat at Ted Peters (smoked fish cooked in wooden drawers, etc.). Also, La Terisita is outstanding and offers the best Cuban food I've ever had while being very inexpensive.
  • St. Pete (downtown) and walk around. The Dali, Vinoy historic hotel and a couple of other museums (we recently visited the Florida Holocaust museum).

I live in St. Petersburg, but I need to remember to come here next time I need ideas for stuff for my mother-in-law to do when she visits

WE love Busch Gardens.

Also, if you are there on a Sunday, go to the Wat Thai Temple in Tampa by 10am to have an amazing experience tasting all kinds of Thai food.

I stayed a night at Clearwater Beach last year and went to Tarpon Springs which was lovely. Will be going to Clearwater Beach again this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter