(CLOSED) Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT and BAY LAKE TOWER INFORMATION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already learned two new things here in a few hours today. I'll stick around :hyper:

AHAHA!! love this. When I first joined, I somehow managed to get through the whole thread in about three days. I guess that is what happens when you get a snow storm here in New England! Learned so much and can't wait for our trip

Visiting CR for the first time in July! :cool1:
Welcome to the thread and let us know if you have any questions.

Have been looking at this thread for a while and I just have to say thank you so much! I have seen so much valuable information from this thread and it has made me fall in love with the contemporary! I stayed for the first time back in August 2013 in Tower BLV and absolutely loved it! After looking a this thread I have seen that I missed a lot at the resort when we were there since it has so much to offer. We got Annual passes this year due to a couple of conferences so we will be out there quite a lot this year. trip dates are March 15-21 CR TPV, June 2-5 AKL 5-8 CR TPV CL and December 6-17 CR TPV. Once again thank you so much for making this thread as it has helped me tremendously!
Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments. I'm glad you've found some things to do on your upcoming trips that you didn't get to do in August. I'll put all your dates into the Log-orail. How fun that you have so many trips planned:thumbsup2

I'm so excited to say that our entire group of 12 (10 adults, 1 toddler, 1 infant) will now be staying in two 2bed villas at BLT! We were going to be split between the BLT and garden wing, but not anymore! :)
That will be great having everyone in one villa and how lucky those 2 kids are to have 10 adults with them on vacation.

I am new to the DIS board and just trying to absorb all the fantastic knowledge on here. This is an awesome thread. I have been a DVC member for a few years now and never knew you could request a specific room. We are heading to DW this year and hoping to stay at BLT. We are spending the extra points to get the Themepark view as we will taking my 86 year old grandmother with us. Any recommendations on what room to request? Also can I make the request at the time I book or do I need to wait closer to the date? Any information would be great! Thanks for the terrific thread!
Here's another :welcome: to the DIS and the CR/BLT thread! Thank you for your kind comment about the thread. How sweet that you're taking Grandma to BLT! If you are booking a cash reservation, you can add your request to your reservation anytime. The Room Assignor will see it 3-5 days prior to your arrival. To help you with a villa request, we would need to know what villa size you're booking. This BLT ROOM VIEW THREAD will help you choose a location.

Kook, not sure if I ever posted my dates so that I can be added to the Log-orail. We will be staying at the CR-Atrium Club from 6/2/14 to 6/9/14. Love the WL, but looking forward to our first CR stay. :goodvibes
I'll add your dates and I completely understand loving both WL and CR/BLT:love:

AHAHA!! love this. When I first joined, I somehow managed to get through the whole thread in about three days. I guess that is what happens when you get a snow storm here in New England! Learned so much and can't wait for our trip

It's a strange feeling actually. On our third trip we stayed at POFQ and have been going back there every year since so I know the place inside out. It is the weirdest feeling to feel daunted by the mass of information on a thread about a Disney resort because 'not knowing' became a foreign concept to me in my little comfort zone :lmao: It's so much easier once you have the info just to keep it updated. I'm really enjoying this though and have always loved the look of BLT. I anticipate that this upcoming short stay there is not going to be our last!

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree with the poster who said it's a terrific thread: It's wonderful and jam packed with info and tips :)

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to shout out here. I'm fairly new to Disboards... and staying in the CR for the first time in oh...... 3 decades. Last time was way back around 1982! More recently we've been staying in the Polynesian, but this trip opted for the CR for a little something different and to relive those stays from our past. I remember watching the monorail drive in to the atrium and the electric water parade as a kid, but not a whole lot else about the resort. Besides most of it is different now anyways... We're 5 and a baby... so this might well be the first and last time we're able to fit into the 5-person CR rooms! Looking forward to it and counting the days till May...
-mike

It's a strange feeling actually. On our third trip we stayed at POFQ and have been going back there every year since so I know the place inside out. It is the weirdest feeling to feel daunted by the mass of information on a thread about a Disney resort because 'not knowing' became a foreign concept to me in my little comfort zone :lmao: It's so much easier once you have the info just to keep it updated. I'm really enjoying this though and have always loved the look of BLT. I anticipate that this upcoming short stay there is not going to be our last!

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree with the poster who said it's a terrific thread: It's wonderful and jam packed with info and tips :)

I agree!! Last time I went I stayed at Coronado Springs and got as much information as I could about the resort. The plan this time around was to also stay at CSR, but once I found about renting points, and being able to stay at BLT, my husband convinced me to go for it! I have a hard time spending money on just a room, but I feel like staying at BLT will be more than just that, it will be an experience. I have loved learning all the new information, and cannot wait to learn more!! six months left of planning :)

Thanks so much and happy planning!

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to shout out here. I'm fairly new to Disboards... and staying in the CR for the first time in oh...... 3 decades. Last time was way back around 1982! More recently we've been staying in the Polynesian, but this trip opted for the CR for a little something different and to relive those stays from our past. I remember watching the monorail drive in to the atrium and the electric water parade as a kid, but not a whole lot else about the resort. Besides most of it is different now anyways... We're 5 and a baby... so this might well be the first and last time we're able to fit into the 5-person CR rooms! Looking forward to it and counting the days till May...
-mike
:welcome: to the DIS and the BLT/CR thread, Mike.

I think you'll like the color scheme better now than it was back in '82. No sunglasses will be needed:cool2:, at least indoors. Let us know if you have any questions and May will be here before you know it:thumbsup2

I agree!! Last time I went I stayed at Coronado Springs and got as much information as I could about the resort. The plan this time around was to also stay at CSR, but once I found about renting points, and being able to stay at BLT, my husband convinced me to go for it! I have a hard time spending money on just a room, but I feel like staying at BLT will be more than just that, it will be an experience. I have loved learning all the new information, and cannot wait to learn more!! six months left of planning :)
Just a reminder that you can also book a cash reservation at BLT (or any DVC). You can apply discounts to the reservation just as you would a regular room. The cost might end up more, it's best to compare, but with a cash reservation you will get daily housekeeping and the ability to change and cancel your reservation without any penalty, (45 days for a package and 5 days for room-only). Since you "own" the reservation, you have full control of it.

For those of you who resort hop for Dole Whips and those delicious pork nachos...

Captain Cook's at Polynesian Resort: Closes on March 28 2014; re-opening in the summer. Temporary quick service location will be in the Great Ceremonial House. The menu offering will be similar, but no Dole Whips. The temporary location will be open daily from 6:30AM to 4:30AM.

:rotfl:Just tried to go to another link related to Capt. Cook's because the closure time listed above seems waaaaay off (it should be 11 PM, I believe) and I received this error message from the Disney site:

Someone Ate the Page!
Or for some other reason, the page you're looking for cannot be located.

For those of you who resort hop for Dole Whips and those delicious pork nachos...

Wow! How have I stayed at the Poly twice in recent years and never got the nachos??

Pulled Pork Nachos - Polynesian chips topped with pork, cheese, pineapple salsa and spicy Mayonnaise

What QS gems should I look for at the CR?

Captain Cook's at Polynesian Resort: Closes on March 28 2014; re-opening in the summer. Temporary quick service location will be in the Great Ceremonial House. The menu offering will be similar, but no Dole Whips. The temporary location will be open daily from 6:30AM to 4:30AM.

:rotfl:Just tried to go to another link related to Capt. Cook's because the closure time listed above seems waaaaay off (it should be 11 PM, I believe) and I received this error message from the Disney site:

Someone Ate the Page!

So just to clarify....the temporary location won't have Dole Whips, but when the original location reopens in the summer it will still have them? We had planned on monorailing it to MK one morning to stop off for Dole Whips and Tonga Toast! Now I want to go again for lunch for some pulled pork nachos! YUM!

Wow! How have I stayed at the Poly twice in recent years and never got the nachos??

Pulled Pork Nachos - Polynesian chips topped with pork, cheese, pineapple salsa and spicy Mayonnaise

What QS gems should I look for at the CR?
Here are our nachos from December, which we observed "had fewer toppings" than August:rolleyes1

CC has a great selection of cupcakes and we love their salads, too. Their lunch and dinner menu has many tasty items. We've never had breakfast in the new location, but the breakfast buffet at The Wave is a must-do for us:

So just to clarify....the temporary location won't have Dole Whips, but when the original location reopens in the summer it will still have them? We had planned on monorailing it to MK one morning to stop off for Dole Whips and Tonga Toast! Now I want to go again for lunch for some pulled pork nachos! YUM!
That's right, the DW will return in late summer, August or September is the prediction. Perhaps they can't find room for the DW machine or they don't have the proper outlet in the temp. location:confused3

That's right, the DW will return in late summer, August or September is the prediction. Perhaps they can't find room for the DW machine or they don't have the proper outlet in the temp. location:confused3

Nooooooo!!!!! I guess I missed that you said 'late' summer. We'll be there the third week of July. My sister loves Dole Whips so I was going to surprise her with a Dole Whip stop at the Poly.

I just booked my first stay at BLT last night and am getting excited. Now to figure out what room requests...I have a lake view studio...

I just booked my first stay at BLT last night and am getting excited. Now to figure out what room requests...I have a lake view studio...
:welcome: to the CR/BLT thread and congratulations on booking. work2play's thread shows and describes the BLT villa views HERE. It's a great resource in helping make location requests. (BTW, love the DIS Unplugged!)

We can make our FP+ reservations tomorrow. I'm a little nervous since this will be our first experience with the new system. Any last minute tips, advice, suggestions??? :)

I received this error message from the Disney site:

Someone Ate the Page!

:lmao::rotfl2: Well what do they expect if they take away The People's Dole Whips!?!?!! Maybe the page had cookies?

Scheduling question. Our flight arrives at 9:00am on a wed. We are staying at BLT. Right now we have an ADR for lunch at Akershaus at 1:00. Am I pushing it or do you think we have plenty if time. We also will have to stop at guest services to pick up our PAP's. We're going in May so not worried about weather, but just transit/check in time. Thanks!!

In June we will be staying BLV-CL because we also don't want to see a parking lot full of cars and buses even with the park beyond them. :goodvibes

I totally agree! We just returned from a week's stay on the 11th floor Tower Bay Lake View. I had felt bad we couldn't get a TPV room (with our discount), and felt we were settling for "second best." But when we entered our room and stood on the balcony, the view was AMAZING! Soooo much to see (and hear) going on; we could even see Spaceship Earth. Anyhow, when looking out the windows on the TP side of the resort, all that caught my attention was the huge parking lot with a zillion cars. The "top" of the castle and a couple other attractions could be seen over to the side, as well as the Grand Floridian waaaay on the other side of the lagoon. So glad we had the view we did!

Thanks! How early would you need to stake out a spot you think?

I think you're talking about the July 4th fireworks. Our experience from watching the fireworks on the 4th floor viewing deck, on February 25, was that when we arrived 20 mts beforehand, a few of the bench seats were already taken (on the far left side, which has an unobstructed view). A whole bunch of people showed up a few minutes later, making it standing room only. Bearing in mind this was in February, I would expect you'd need to show up for the July 4th fireworks no later than "at least" an hour to hour-and-a-half beforehand.

shelleylmu said:
Scheduling question. Our flight arrives at 9:00am on a wed. We are staying at BLT. Right now we have an ADR for lunch at Akershaus at 1:00. Am I pushing it or do you think we have plenty if time. We also will have to stop at guest services to pick up our PAP's. We're going in May so not worried about weather, but just transit/check in time. Thanks!!

As long as your flight arrives on time, I think you'll be fine. I'd give 2 hrs. from the time you land til you arrive at Bay Lake (it's never taken us this long, even using Magical Express) which would put you checking-in at 11 and then would still give you another 2 hrs. to get checked in, get to Epcot, pick up your stuff from guest relations and walk to your ADR. I think that would give you enough time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter