Coldest Trip Ever!

Just posting a mini trip report-we drove down to wdw on thursday afternoon, stayed friday and saturday, drove home sunday. It was SO COLD!

We literally had tears streaking out of our eyes as we rode the tram into AK on sunday morning, and we had layers and layers of clothing on, winter coats, hats, and just couldn't get warm.

Interestingly enough, there were people who we're presuming were from the frozen north walking around defiantly in t-shirts and shorts, like, I don't CARE if the thermometer says 41 degrees, darn it, I'm in Disney and I'm wearing my Mickey t-shirt and little else.

We do have a new rule now; if the forecast is below 65, just stay home. It was too much work to stay warm and we couldn't enjoy Disney because of the physical discomfort.

My husband calls it the Tumble Monkeys Requirement: If it's too cold for the tumble monkeys in the Lion King Show to perform, it's too cold for us southern weenies.

Just posting a mini trip report-we drove down to wdw on thursday afternoon, stayed friday and saturday, drove home sunday. It was SO COLD!

We literally had tears streaking out of our eyes as we rode the tram into AK on sunday morning, and we had layers and layers of clothing on, winter coats, hats, and just couldn't get warm.

Interestingly enough, there were people who we're presuming were from the frozen north walking around defiantly in t-shirts and shorts, like, I don't CARE if the thermometer says 41 degrees, darn it, I'm in Disney and I'm wearing my Mickey t-shirt and little else.

We do have a new rule now; if the forecast is below 65, just stay home. It was too much work to stay warm and we couldn't enjoy Disney because of the physical discomfort.

My husband calls it the Tumble Monkeys Requirement: If it's too cold for the tumble monkeys in the Lion King Show to perform, it's too cold for us southern weenies.

It was cold at Thanksgiving and DH had his silk long underwear top on, but wearing shorts. He was fine, but he's bringing the bottoms for this year's Turkey trip and me and the boys are buying a set too.

For us Northerners, we were fine, the cold made for short lines at rides and a great spot to view Illuminations.

We went one year right after Christmas and it was cold! Got down into 40's/low 50's at times. It was so cold one day at AK they had these huge heaters blowing outside of the River Rapids ride so people could try and warm-up and dry off.

Possibly those in shorts, simply did not plan ahead and refuse to buy the expensive Disney sweats.
My husband calls it the Tumble Monkeys Requirement: If it's too cold for the tumble monkeys in the Lion King Show to perform, it's too cold for us southern weenies

That is too funny. Yep, I agree the parks in the cold are simply no fun.

we went last year for Valentine's day and Florida broke some kind of record with a temp of 35 degrees.....you should have seen everyone snatching jackets off the racks in Epcot!:rotfl: everytime we wear them, I think of freezing our you-know-what's off in Disney! the good news: it snowed 26" at home while we were away!

Michelle :cloud9:

I guess somebody else went after Christmas and froze, we were buying gloves, hats you name it and frankly were miserable. We're from Long Island, NY and it was warmer at home that January than it was in Disney!!!

I don't CARE if the thermometer says 41 degrees

There's where you're wrong -- in contrast to some folks 'north' of Lake Buena Vista, 41F (after factoring in for windchills), would still be 60 to 80F warmer than their homes!
When you're from the Great White North - the Mickey Tees aren't an attitude, they're a pleasure! :)

Sounds like our December trip a couple years ago. I think there was only one day it got above 65, and even then it was pretty chilly. I know it's warmer than back home, but I agree it's very, very difficult to enjoy WDW when you're stuck in jeans, sweaters and heavy coats throughout the trip.

You just missed the warm weather last week. We arrived on Friday the 9th and it was in the 70s thru Wednesday. Temps dropped about 10 degrees from Wednesday to Thursday.

I totally agree. We just returned to the UK yesterday after a week's stay at BWV. It was so cold - in fact, I still reckon it's warmer at night here than it was in WDW. We spent most of the week in jeans and sweaters, which is unheard of for us when on vacation.

It didn't put us off, though, and we even bought in to DVC while we were there :thumbsup2

Mid January 2006 it was in the 30's. We were at BCV and couldn't even think about going into SAB. Worst weekend ever for us in WDW

I feel your pain Kickapoo Joie Juice. We were there the first week of december and were shivering as well. I actually viewed Illuminations while my teeth were chattering and we are from the frozen north! LoL

we went last year for Valentine's day and Florida broke some kind of record with a temp of 35 degrees.....you should have seen everyone snatching jackets off the racks in Epcot!:rotfl: everytime we wear them, I think of freezing our you-know-what's off in Disney! the good news: it snowed 26" at home while we were away!

Michelle :cloud9:

We were there at the same time last year! There was ice on the car when we got up in the morning and everyone was buying those Mickey hands to wear as gloves!

It was so cold! ::yes::

My DW and I visited BWV for our first ever trip home last week. I even made it into the pool and down the Keister coaster, just because I had to experience everything! We didn't find the cooler temps to be a problem, but it was 40+ degrees warmer than back home in NJ.:banana:

My biggest problem last week involved helping my left behind son diagnose and fix a slightly frozen pipe (no burst) back home! :lmao:

Those of us from up north know how to dress in layers!

Going saturday, hope the weather get's warmer!

Hope the weather is nicer for you this weekend, byoung. I think those of us from "up north" really look forward to a break from the cold when we visit WDW in the winter. We want to shed those layers! We've been in December at 38 degrees for MVMCP and January when it was 85 during the day. You just never know!

We went up for a quick long weekend getaway also and it seems that I have been picking very cold weekends lately for doing WDW getaways. I even found out that I have an ice warning in my car. Monday morning it was 37°, but the wind chill made it pretty frigid. To top it off, we were headed to AK where pretty much everything is outside. Even tho this was a last minute trip, I still needed to book this two weeks out. Unfortunately long range forecasts are nearly impossible. :(

The first time I took my wife to WDW, the temperature never got above 25 degrees F. The staff tried to tent over plantings and warm them with the jets that fruit growers use, but acres of flowers keeled over anyway. However, we were coming from -5 degree weather in Chicago. We saw the forecast, brought our parkas, and enjoyed the balmy weather (not to mention the very short lines). Lemons...lemonade...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter