Compensation for Illness??

kritters4

Mouseketeer
Been away from the boards for the holidays and just wondering what the compenstion from Disney has been for the people who got sick on the ship??
Sure hope this gets cleared up soon and everyone gets back to having the vacation of their dreams on the ship!!

Since I got sick, I called and asked today. They asked me to write guest services with my personal experience, and told me that they evaluate each case individually. I'll let you know what response I get.

Hmmmm......

I just wonder how many self-absorbed individuals will take advantage of Disney's generosity.

Why would you expect compensation? This wasn't food poisoning or any other problem caused by DCL. This virus was brought on board by other people.
I'm sorry you got sick, but this is getting ridiculous. Who compensates you if you get sick at home or at work. People expect too much for free anymore.

No I was not there and I was not sick on my vacation...so go ahead and slam away....I THINK ITS RIDICULOUS !!!

disny4ever:

From what I have read, people who were sick were quaranteened to their staterooms. If DCL is requiring you to stay in your stateroom for several days of your trip so that they can contain the spread (and lessen the numbers reported on CNN daily) then they can at least offer you some type of compensation. Everyone isn't due compensation but if I wasn't allowed to leave my room I would appreciate an offer to let me have another chance to enjoy my cruise. It's just good customer relations.

I called because I heard a rumor they were offering something. I had a good cruise and don't expect, nor will I demand, anything. However, Disney is notorious for going above and beyond. If they are offering anything...I'm not above taking it.

Originally posted by DisneyDarwin
I called because I heard a rumor they were offering something. I had a good cruise and don't expect, nor will I demand, anything. However, Disney is notorious for going above and beyond. If they are offering anything...I'm not above taking it.

:teeth: :teeth:
Good outlook DisneyDarwin!

i seen on the news that disney is going to offer free cruise to all people that got sick.chicago nbc 5

My mother-in-law got Montezuma's revenge while we were in Puerto Vallarta this summer.....hey...maybe I can get the tour company to refund me and give me another vacation.....Yah right, they would laugh in my face. I think Disney has been VERY accomodating, and all the BAD press hasn't helped any. One person says bio-terrorism, one says simple flu bug, another says something else....to me the press are blowing this all out of perportion. Do you know how many people get sick on airplanes with the recycled air from others on the plane that have colds, flu or something else? Plenty, but I don't see anyone asking the airlines for their money back. This is a good topic for John Stossel on his segment called....Give Me A Break.

Originally posted by SweetSpot
disny4ever:

From what I have read, people who were sick were quaranteened to their staterooms. If DCL is requiring you to stay in your stateroom for several days of your trip so that they can contain the spread (and lessen the numbers reported on CNN daily) then they can at least offer you some type of compensation. Everyone isn't due compensation but if I wasn't allowed to leave my room I would appreciate an offer to let me have another chance to enjoy my cruise. It's just good customer relations.

Well, what would you do? Go out and spread your germs to all teh other cruisers? Sounds VERY SELFISH to me.

Gimmee, Gimmee, Gimmee.

Anne

DCL did treat us very well when we came down with this virus. We were not made to stay in our staterooms but being that sick the group that I was with did not feel well enough to venture out. We did get a letter that asked us to follow some practical guidelines to try to prevent the spread of the virus. It asked us to stay in our cabins for about 72 hours and limit contact with other guests. I started to feel better on the 3rd day and by day 4 went out amoung the population. The cool breeze ondeck felt great and that was the day we were in Cozumal. I did enjoy the rest of the cruise. DCL explained that they were offering compensation for those passangers who were ill and because of their confinement in their rooms they would like to give them another cruise so they can enjoy they parts that they missed. We were asked to contact DCL when we got home, we left a message this morning when we arrived home. They were very nice to us during my and my family illiness and I do thank DCL for their constant calls to see how we were doing and the water and sodas and soup they brought to our cabins. In my opinion they did above and beyond to make shur that we were as confortable as possible, you know the usual DISNEY way!
As far as the statement made about "expecting compensation", it is more DCL trying to offer those of us who were sick a chance to go on the entire cruise and see all of the activities rather than us demanding to be reimbursed, I do resent that remark.

I ask this...if you were sick at WDW would you expect Disney to give you another free trip to WDW?

Anne

Ok folks.....everyone has obvious "strong feelings" about this subject. What is bothering me most, is a simple question can turn into an argument. I love a debate as much as much as the next person...but lets do it in the "Disney spirit" ...ok????

I think that everyone has missed the point. DCL has offered another cruise to those who were sick so they can enjoy the parts that they missed being ill in their cabins. I did not expect DCL to "give me a free cruise", Disney wants what is best for its "guests" and has made the offer to us. My wife did get sick at WDW and we did not expect or did we get a free WDW vacation. I was even at WDW during the Hurricane when the parks were closed and we did not get any compensation for that either or did we expect it. I think you are slamming the wrong people for the mis-information that you all have received, slam the media. At no time on this past Magic cruise did I hear anyone demand to be given a free cruise, it is the TV and Newspapers that are making those statements. Disney did it's best on this past cruise and went "above and beyond" for all of us, and we were there!

Thank you Dennis the WDW Menace.

You have echoed my sentiments exactly. We were there too, and while we did not get sick (so sorry you did...), we thought the situation was handled well. There is so much rumor gossip and innuendo, nothing we say -- even though we were there and saw it first-hand -- is going to convince people. But let me say it again -- if you did not get sick, you would have had a great cruise. Except for a few inconveniences, it was business as usual and most people were totally unaffected.

ducklite - let me rephrase your question: if you went to WDW and got sick and they offered you compensation, would you take it? I think most of us would say yes, don't you?

For those who are offered compensation, I hope you will take it in the spirit that it is offered, and I sincerely hope you feel better.

I've had this same virus and I know that there is no way I would have been well enough to go mingle with the general population. You aren't just confined to your cabin when this is in full swing but you're confined to the bathroom...not because DCL makes you but by necessity.

Good posts Dennis the WDW Menace.:D

Originally posted by mcnuss
ducklite - let me rephrase your question: if you went to WDW and got sick and they offered you compensation, would you take it? I think most of us would say yes, don't you?

Actually, unless it was their fault, ie food poisoning, no, in all honesty I would thank them for offering but decline. If they offered free park passes I'd take them but donate them to charity (I've done this before).

Anne

If a company offers you some form of compensation as a gesture of goodwill for an unfortunate experience you may have had while associated with them, there is nothing wrong at all with accepting it.

Once again the flamers are out in force. Can't people (and it seems like the same people sometimes) just voice their opinions without the sarcasm and scorn?
It is easy to say what we would or wouldn't do in the same circumstances but until I am sick in the bathroom for three days on a very expensive vacation it is hard for me to say.
I hope all those who where sick get whatever response they are hoping for. It is obvious that Disney is a first rate company and I think they will do their best to make people feel better.

I've stayed away from the "illness posts" until now, but I finally have to jump in because this whole thing has given me an idea:
Next time I get sick at work because my co-workers have spread around a cold or the flu, I'm going to demand compensation! Ditto for next time I get sick after an airline flight because some other passenger is hacking their lungs out in the closed-in environment. And if I had kids in school, you know I'd be looking for a good trial lawyer to teach the school a lesson if my kid and their classmates got sick...and of course, I'd hope they'd shut down the school for a week to scrub it from top to bottom.
Flame me if you want, but I feel the need to vent...I was at work today and overheard the following conversation:
"I'm going on a cruise for my honeymoon."
"Oh God, I hope it's not Disney!"
"No, Carnival."
"Oh, well, that's okay then."
There is no way Disney could have prevented this, short of cancelling all sailings in flu season or requiring full physicals complete with stool sample before boarding. It's a shame that a quality company with a 99 CDC rating is getting so much unwarranted bad publicity.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter