COMPLETED - We're Visiting Our Laughing Place - Trip Report

Thats so funny, I was just readying away at Cali Grill and I was thinking 'wouldn't it be wonderful if they got engaged!' and a couple of sentences later, you did :D. WOOOOO :D. Congrats! I love your dress, if you don't mind me asking, where is it from? :D

:D :D

Awww!! Haha that's exciting!!! I'm glad we gave a happy ending :woohoo:

My dress is from Lipsy. Last time I looked, they had it in a few colours as well. :thumbsup2

Day 7 - Friday 30 September 2011

Today was one of those days that I was really looking forward to, just because I knew that it would be a bit of a 'different' day - in that it wouldn't be all about the theme parks at Disney but exploring some of the other side of Disney World too - yey!

We were able to sleep in a bit and we had a late breakfast reservation at 'Ohana at the Polynesian Resort. It's a character breakfast with Mickey, Pluto, Stitch and Lilo.

We got the bus to Magic Kingdom from our hotel, and then took the monorail over to the Polynesian, we checked in and only had to wait about for 5 minutes until we were called to our table.

IMGP1370.jpg

The lady who took us to our table was so, so sweet and so excited for us about the engagement - she made us feel really great actually and definately started off the whole experience in a great way.

We had updated all of our dining reservations to show that we were celebrating our engagement and I think that it was noted as we got an amazing table for breakfast - I didn't even realise there were such good tables at Ohana with a Castle view - but we got a lovely table with a view - again cue my over excited-ness, hehe!

IMGP1371.jpg

They came around with their pineapple cinnamon bread - which was AMAZIN!

IMGP1372.jpg

And also juice and coffee - I fell in love with the juice there - I kept getting refills and getting a refill of this was not a problem at all.

We then got the hot food skillet - and it was all really good, the only thing is that the mickey waffles come seperately and I dont know if it was just that morning, but they seemed a bit stingy giving out the waffles - and when I had asked for more, they never did come. I do like my mickey waffles so I was a tiny bit disappointed. But really that is the only bad thing I can say about Ohana and I do hope that it was just a glitch that day as I would definately go back.

IMGP1374.jpg

IMGP1373.jpg

The character interaction was great too. And I loved that we went a bit later and the restaurant was actually quite quiet. I would definately recommend coming here when you are having a lazy start to the day.

IMGP1377.jpg

IMGP1378.jpg

IMGP1388.jpg

After breakfast we explored the resort for a while and found a nice beach swing to sit on and enjoy the sun and the lovely view - just taking the time out to sit and enjoy the peaceful, relaxing side of Disney that some people think it just a myth.

IMGP1393.jpg

Anyway, after 20 minutes or so of relaxation we do want to actually do something (!!) - and decide to rent a sea-raycer boat from the marina. We took it out for about 45 minutes, which went by so fast. I let Scott drive the boat as I knew I would be too scared to actually have fun with it!

It was lovely we explored all around up to the Contemporary and behind it to where Discovery Island was and could see Fort Wilderness all the way across as close to Magic Kingdom as we were allowed and along past Grand Floridian and Wedding Pavillion.

It was so much fun getting a chance to do this.

Once we were done, we took the monorail over the Contemporary as we had booked a tandem paraglide. I wasn't scared to start with until the whole thing was so fast that we were literally up in the air - haha I started freaking out for a while but when I finally calmed down and looked around - I was stunned by the view!

I just had to turn my head and I saw all the sites - the castle, space mountain, splash mountain, the epcot ball, tower of terror, expedition everest. It was so cool! Before we knew it we were back down - it was an expensive but thrilling experience.

IMG_4696.jpg

IMG_4738.jpg

IMGP1374.jpg

After this, we wondered around the contemporary for a while and then got the monorail across to Epcot. We wondered around Epcot for a while, mostly enjoying Spaceship Earth, the Nemo ride and Turtle Talk with Crush, before our early dinner reservation at the Living Seas.

We had a nice meal here - the food was good and we had a table quite close to the front of the aquariam.

IMGP1402.jpg

IMGP1409.jpg

To eat I had the seasonal fish (I can't remember what it was) and the Chocolate Wave.

IMGP1403.jpg

IMGP1407.jpg

And Scott had the Chicken and for dessert the Baileys Mousse.

IMGP1404.jpg

IMGP1408.jpg

Unfortunately we had pretty poor service - the waitress just seemed so unattentive - and I think what made it worse is the table right next to us had a different waiter who was lovely and bubbly. Oh well - never mind it didn't put a dampner on anything. I think it is always just worth a mention - maybe we were just spoiled by some of the amazing service in other Disney restaurants?

After dinner we walked about a bit, going on Spaceship Earth and we went to do single rider Test Track as the place was quite busy and were jammy enough to get to sit beside each other in a car anyway!

It was getting a little late by this point, so we went to the entrance of World Showcase as far as the Champagne Stand, and Scott got a Champange and I had a Rose Champange. We just got a bench and sat and enjoyed these - as this was the day Food and Wine Festival opened - you can imagine how crowded it was!! So we left as Illuminations started and got the bus before it was crowded - I think it was just us and a group with some little kids on the bus back to our hotel.

That breakfast at Ohana looks amazing! :goodvibes Glad you got to relax and experience some things at Disney and not just the parks. We had a meal at Coral Reef too (I had chicken and chocolate wave too :laughing:) - sorry to hear you had bad service :( this was our best meal when we went and our waiter couldn't have been more helpful. It definitely is luck of the draw. Can't wait for more!

That breakfast at Ohana looks amazing! :goodvibes Glad you got to relax and experience some things at Disney and not just the parks. We had a meal at Coral Reef too (I had chicken and chocolate wave too :laughing:) - sorry to hear you had bad service :( this was our best meal when we went and our waiter couldn't have been more helpful. It definitely is luck of the draw. Can't wait for more!

I know it was such tasty and as we were on the dining plan it was a great meal for 1TS each.

Unfortunately, we saw others getting the great 'Disney' service, and unfortunately we didn't - even the walk from the sign-in desk to our table was so sombre and not one work was spoken! Usually it's the "are you having a good trip / how long are you here for" small chit-chat.

We probably weren't as bowled over with the meal for this reason alone as well. Which is a shame - but then I don't think it would put me off trying it again at the same time, if that makes sense :goodvibes

I know it was such tasty and as we were on the dining plan it was a great meal for 1TS each.

Unfortunately, we saw others getting the great 'Disney' service, and unfortunately we didn't - even the walk from the sign-in desk to our table was so sombre and not one work was spoken! Usually it's the "are you having a good trip / how long are you here for" small chit-chat.

We probably weren't as bowled over with the meal for this reason alone as well. Which is a shame - but then I don't think it would put me off trying it again at the same time, if that makes sense :goodvibes

Aww I know what you mean, the service is an integral part of the dining experience. I felt the same about our service in Planet Hollywood (just awful :() I'm glad it hasn't put you off trying it again though :goodvibes

Just caught up with your trip, all your pics are making me excited for when I go!

Congrats again on your engagement, the proposal looks/sounds so lovely!Do you have any wedding plans yet?:goodvibes

Just caught up with your trip, all your pics are making me excited for when I go!

Congrats again on your engagement, the proposal looks/sounds so lovely!Do you have any wedding plans yet?:goodvibes

Thank you - it really was amazing - scott did so well at being a romantic :lovestruc :goodvibes

Our original plan was to get married in a castle in Scotland - we even spoke about it when we were in Florida in case we should look around any wedding venues whilst we were there.

Anyway we came back home, looked into everything for real...and have decided to take 10 of our nearest and dearest to disney and have our wedding there :goodvibes

It's very much the only place that I could say was really 'us' and neither of us have overly big families to warrant the need for a big at home wedding. But we will have an evening reception-type thing at home when we get back.

I'll stop myself here before I go into all my nitty gritty plans - that would take forever to write and are forever changing! :rotfl2:

Thank you - it really was amazing - scott did so well at being a romantic :lovestruc :goodvibes

Our original plan was to get married in a castle in Scotland - we even spoke about it when we were in Florida in case we should look around any wedding venues whilst we were there.

Anyway we came back home, looked into everything for real...and have decided to take 10 of our nearest and dearest to disney and have our wedding there :goodvibes

It's very much the only place that I could say was really 'us' and neither of us have overly big families to warrant the need for a big at home wedding. But we will have an evening reception-type thing at home when we get back.

I'll stop myself here before I go into all my nitty gritty plans - that would take forever to write and are forever changing! :rotfl2:

I'm so happy your getting married at Disney! I occasionally browse the wedding forums on here and thought I saw your name on a thread!:goodvibes

I got engaged what feels like a bazillion years ago now when I was 18, and although I'm not married yet,we have decided on Disney too, more so because our families are so huge it would cost a bomb here! Won't be a while though so I'll just live vicariously through your plans! :laughing:

I'm so happy your getting married at Disney! I occasionally browse the wedding forums on here and thought I saw your name on a thread!:goodvibes

I got engaged what feels like a bazillion years ago now when I was 18, and although I'm not married yet,we have decided on Disney too, more so because our families are so huge it would cost a bomb here! Won't be a while though so I'll just live vicariously through your plans! :laughing:

Aww I know weddings are sooooo expensive here right?! The place I really wanted to get married - for the venue hire alone was £12,000!?! Then Catering at about £100 for about 80 people would have been another £8,000 - so that was going to be £20,000 for a venue and catering! Never mind outfits / cake / entertainment / stationary / transport etc etc!!!

Ok Disneys not cheap - but as a comparison it definately won me and Scott over.

We are waiting a little while for the wedding and hoping for March 2014, but when we break everything down... it's quite close as well!

Aww I know weddings are sooooo expensive here right?! The place I really wanted to get married - for the venue hire alone was £12,000!?! Then Catering at about £100 for about 80 people would have been another £8,000 - so that was going to be £20,000 for a venue and catering! Never mind outfits / cake / entertainment / stationary / transport etc etc!!!

Ok Disneys not cheap - but as a comparison it definately won me and Scott over.

We are waiting a little while for the wedding and hoping for March 2014, but when we break everything down... it's quite close as well!

That price is crazy!! I think you can get alot more for your money at Disney, and of course the fact that you'll be in Disney world!

I'm just hoping for a wedding in my lifetime atm! :thumbsup2:laughing:

That price is crazy!! I think you can get alot more for your money at Disney, and of course the fact that you'll be in Disney world!

I'm just hoping for a wedding in my lifetime atm! :thumbsup2:laughing:

Lol, bless - I'm sure it will be a day worth waiting for :D

Fab report so far Izzie. Your engagement story was lovely...and so perfect, you definitely have a romantic boyfriend :goodvibes Looking forward to the next update.

Loving your report so far, Izzie! :thumbsup2

What a wonderful place for a proposal, I got all teary reading it!
And planning a Disney wedding, just magical.

We visited WDW just after getting engaged, and wore the buttons too, some of the CM's were just lovely about us being engaged. Makes it so special.
We're getting married in April (doing the Scottish Castle thing!) but it's not costing anywhere near as much as what you estimated, but then we're only having 30 guests ;)
Then off to WDW for our Disneymoon in September! :cool1:

Looking forward to your next instalment! And hearing all about your Disney wedding plans when you start a thread about that! :lovestruc

Day 8 - Saturday 1 October 2012 - MK 40th Anniversary / Epcot

So today was the Magic Kingdom / Disney Worlds 40th Anniversary, and even though I knew it would be crowded I knew that I really wanted to visit the Magic Kingdom that day.

I was pretty pleased with myself to score a 8.05am reservation at Crystal Palace that morning. Also it would mean an opportunity to get some pics with the castle with little crowds. We had also never been to Crystal Palace and I wanted to try it out.

Anyway, this lovely plan didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped. It was a bit of a sleepy start to the morning but we were running ok with time - until our bus scraped along side the other bus at the bus stop. Obvious lengthy disney procedures had to then follow - GROAN! :mad:

So we had to walk over to the main bus stop at SSR and wait about 30 minutes for the next Magic Kingdom bus. I was a little agitated - mainly because I hate being late and I knew we would be at least 30 minutes late for our reservation.

I tried not to let it get to me too much, and it was quite cool getting to go into the park as by that point there was a big crowd of people waiting to get in.

We picked up our 40th anniversary badges, and headed to Crystal Palace - we stopped for a couple of pics but I felt guilty doing so as we were already a bit late!

Photo0194FourBySix.jpg

Photo0197FourBySix.jpg

IMGP1421.jpg

Anyway we got sat etc at Crystal Palace and the waiter was the sweetest guy ever. We had some breakfast - which was nice and plenty of choice and the whole decor of the restaurant was really nice and bright - lovely for breakfast. It definately felt quaint.

Pics of us with characters:

IMGP1424.jpg

IMGP1427.jpg

IMGP1431.jpg

However, the knock-on effect from the mornings bus-drama was that we felt we had to rush our breakfast to get a good spot to see the special show they were putting on for the anniversary. We still got a fill of food - I could have probably had more and we didn't get to meet Pooh either - so I suppose I was just a bit agitated from the hold up in the morning! Haha.

Anyway we settled the cheque and went to see the Anniversary show - it was great to see the little parade of heaps of different characters and then it was lovely to have the sing-a-longs and music in front of the Castle. Unfortunately the speakers were completely too quiet and even straining to hear I had no clue what they were saying which was unfortunate.

However, the absolute best thing about this part was just the general feeling and buzz around the place. We overheard people saying how they were there 40 years ago, and we saw Cast Members come together to see the show who just seemed so happy and proud to be part of everything Disney. It was a lovely atmosphere of people so happy to be there and to have shared memories there and excited to share even more.

Anyway - after this, we managed to ride BTM and Splash. We passed by Haunted Mansion which had an 80 minute wait - are you kidding me! And Peter Pan / Its a Small World were just as bad and the park was only getting busier. I suppose we were spoiled with the other days with it being relatively quiet and short waits for everything. We went to see Philharmagic and decided that as happy we were to say 'we were there that day' - it was so busy we would rather start heading out. We got a Dole Whip on the way out (massive queue... but worth it!) and wondered through the shops on Main Street. There was word of a 40th Anniversary Cupcake, we went into the baker and confectionary but they had sold out already. I looked at pictures of them once I got home and we didn't really miss out anyway so I'm glad that we didn't hang about for the next baked batch.

IMGP1433.jpg

Photo0226FourBySix.jpg

My very rough plan I had made if we decided to leave early was to go to play mini-golf, however we decided we fancied getting some nice drinks in Epcot, which turned into us drinking and eating our way around the World!

Perhaps I should put a disclaimer here that drinking responsibly is encouraged... :lmao:

We started off buying a Duffy Bear to have a companion travelling the world. We then introduced mini-Duffy to big-Duffy.. I generally acted like a child and Scott just stood back and laughed at me! And that was before the cocktails!

IMGP1438.jpg

We then went to the Carribean stall and I got a coconut mojito and a jerk spiced chicken drum stick with mango salso. num. Scott got a beer and Shrimp from Australia.

We then went into Mexico and went to La Cava de Tequilla - which was crazy busy. But we were so lucky that a little seat became available as soon as we got our drinks.

I got a blood orange margarita and Scott got a Cucumber Margarita. We also got a flight of different Tequillas. We got chatting to another American couple there who just got a flight as well and enjoyed them together. Then me and Scott enjoyed our margaritas - which were amazing amazing amazing! And after these drinks it was obvioulsy a good time to try on the biggest sombrero there - one day i need to buy one of these!!!!

IMGP1440.jpg

IMGP1441.jpg

IMGP1442.jpg

IMGP1443.jpg

Photo0250FourBySix.jpg

We then went to canada for some wine and beer, then headed to UK and met Mary Poppins and Winnie the Pooh who got super big hugs as I'd missed him that morning and by that point I'd had a few cocktails hehe.

Photo0260FourBySix.jpg

We then picked up some Kim Possible phones, and did our mission in France and decided to save Japan. In Japan we picked up some more cocktails and sushi. We got talking to a great bunch of people there too who were also drinking their way around the world and had tshirts!

IMGP1450.jpg

We tried some things from New Zealand, America and Morocco before we headed to Germany and went to the Karmel Kuche which I had been looking forward to for so, so long. It smelt so good in there. We got a marshmallow caramel there and then a piece of chocolate caramel for later. It was nice but unfortunately really sickly. I would like to try the carmel popcorn though next time as I think thats what smelled so good!

Photo0270FourBySix.jpg

Illuminations was about to start, which was a good excuse for a Grey Goose Citron Slushie. Between this and the Margaritas at Mexico I couldn't chose a favourite! Illuminations was better than I remembered, but I just don't love it in the way others do or in the way I love Wishes and Fantasmic.

Once that finished, we were pretty done having been drinking since lunch time, bed time for us and we were not going to be setting an alarm for the next day :rotfl:

We were in MK that morning - it was a bit mad wasn't it? We left at around 11-ish I think but we went back in the evening for the fireworks.

Day 9 - Sunday 2 October - Blizzard Beach / Romantic Night Out

After a nice, long snooze, we felt fresh waking up today. Today was to be a lazy day, and visiting a water park with another fun night out.

We decided to go to Blizzard Beach as we hadn't been there before. We arrived, and had lunch - which was maybe the worst meal I had in Disney, I had a chicken wrap sandwich - avoid this at all costs, I don't know how you can screw this up but they did. I just filled up on fries and a cookie.

We then went and got our loungers by the wave pool and relaxed for a bit before going to relax some more on the lazy river.

We then went on a few flumes - and I was proud that I went on some of the scarier ones! We had a little rest again and then went over to the ski lift and went on the less intense of the rides there. We definately avoided Summit Plummet though haha.

After more chillaxing and some fun in the wave pool we headed back to SSR and decided to relax by 'The Paddock' pool for a while. More sunbathing and swimming later, and enjoying a bud light with lime and a mickey chocolate ice cream by the pool we were just about to head off to to get ready for the evening when they announced that they were about to start a Disney pop quiz type thing. This was very exciting to me and I decided that we move over to the bar, get some drinks and enjoy. I thought I would be really good at this but unfortunately didn't do quite as well as hoped but it was fun trying.

We then had a bit of a mad dash to go get showered and ready for tonight.

We had reservations at Citricos, and wow. This meal was out of this world good.

When we arrived we were taken straight to our table and even given special 'happily ever after' menus which we got to take home with us - lovely start.

IMGP1470.jpg

I had a peach mimosa and Scott just had a beer. We had the same dish to start - which was the wagyu beef, which was just a small taste but so good.

IMGP1469-1.jpg

IMGP1473.jpg

It was the main that blew me away though, Scott had the Veal and loved it but I chose the winner (only fair since he had the wonder that was the Steak at Cali Grill!). I had the Berkshire Pork two ways with fondant potatoes - wow! It was indescribably and irresistably good.

IMGP1475.jpg

IMGP1474-1.jpg

For dessert I had the lemon and white chocolate cheesecake (amazing!) and Scott had a chocolate and banana torte.

IMGP1476.jpg

IMGP1477.jpg

Overall - a 10/10 dining experience, it was a lovely restaurant, our waitress couldn't have been nicer and the food was out of this world. I had hoped it would be a nice restaurant but I wasn't expecting something as good as what it was which was nice.

We finished dinner and wondered around the Grand Floridian - what a beautiful resort and a definate 'weddingy' feel :lovestruc

IMGP1479.jpg

We then caught a boat to the Poly, we grabbed a sun lounger and Scott went to get us two lapu-lapu's and some towels to use as blankets. I watched the end of Toy Story and then we snuggled up and watched Hallo-wishes, sipping Lapu-Lapus. My idea of heaven.

After the fireworks, we couldn't decide whether to call it a night, go to Downtown Disney or try to go to Jelly Rolls. We went to MK to catch a bus from there and although we were both a bit sleepy at this point we both wanted to try Jelly Rolls anyway and presumed we'd wake up when we were there.

I'm glad to say we very much woke up and what a fantastic end of a lovely day it was. It was nice to be in a child-free Disney zone, and enjoy the jokes and banter and singing along to the duelling pianos. What a fun time. There were a lot of people who had obviously been drinking around the world and bought hats along the way - and this is something I'd like to do next time and end up here.

IMGP1493.jpg

IMGP1491.jpg

We got one of the last busses that left the Boardwalk hotel to Downtown Disney then walked back to the hotel - major perk of Saratoga Springs is making it easy to get home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter