Complexities of Holding

FrannyFrogs

Mouseketeer
I never imagined DVC would be so complicated... But here we are!

I find myself with the following...
Dec UY 100 points contract

A reservation for BWV starting July 22,
using 100 2022 points BANKED to 2023

100 2023 points available but in HOLDING status

The question... On May 23, the BWV will be within 60 days. If I modify the reservation then (same room type/100 points), what type of points will be used? What would remain?

In other words, is the holding status attached to the specific points (100 2023 points), or the number of points (100 points, which I will be using for the BWV reservation)?

I would love to be able to bank those current year points! I can't think of a downside to modifying within 60 days to see what happens... Right?

As long as things haven't changed you can modify it, don't make any changes, and it will take the 100 holding points.

You will be able to modify to use the points in holding, but you won’t be able to bank the 100 points you used for the reservation originally, as they have already been banked from 2022.

Hmm.

Perhaps my best course of action is:

1. Get within 60 days
2. Modify the current reservation without changing anything, let the system take the points according to its priorities
3. Check on the 100 points left in my account: they could be banked, holding, or neither
4. If they are banked or holding, modify again to a different unit/dates that uses (ideally) 200 points so I don't let points expire
5. Or, if they are neither banked nor holding, bank them!

Hmm.

Perhaps my best course of action is:

1. Get within 60 days
2. Modify the current reservation without changing anything, let the system take the points according to its priorities
3. Check on the 100 points left in my account: they could be banked, holding, or neither
4. If they are banked or holding, modify again to a different unit/dates that uses (ideally) 200 points so I don't let points expire
5. Or, if they are neither banked nor holding, bank them!
Keep in mind if you modify the reservation again it will have to be for a stay that is within 60 days for check-in. Holding points that are applied to a reservation are still "holding points" so the same 60 day rule applies. In other words if you modify at the 60 day mark to apply the holding points and then try to modify again you won't be able to use them for a reservation that is further out.

Yes, I understand about the 60 days. I'm pretty attached to my July dates, probably the only time we can go before the end of the UY.

I thought of a simpler way to ask my original question:

Can
100 BANKED, and 100 HOLDING points
Turn into
100 BANKED AND HOLDING, and 100 current points
By modifying within 60 days?

Yes, I understand about the 60 days. I'm pretty attached to my July dates, probably the only time we can go before the end of the UY.

I thought of a simpler way to ask my original question:

Can
100 BANKED, and 100 HOLDING points
Turn into
100 BANKED AND HOLDING, and 100 current points
By modifying within 60 days?

No…the 2023 points that are in holding can never come out of holding status and the banked points will remain banked.

So, you will not have any points to bank forward, without calling and seeing if you can get MS to remove the holding status…which does not happen very often.

The best way to use, if the July trip is it, is to splurge and upgrade your reservation to use more of the points.

Except none of the points would be good in December since a Dec UY would begin Dec 1.
November is certainly a possibility! It's a busy time of year but I'm sure I could figure out a teeny tiny little weekend Very merry Christmas party trip if I HAD to

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter