Concerned about 2 ECVs on WDW buses (long)

travelbug

DIS Veteran
My parents (in their 70s) are coming with me to WDW in April. When they came down with me in Feb. of this year, Mom was in an ECV for the whole stay. We got an ECV for Dad part way through our stay when it became evident he needed one. During the time that both had ECVs, we spent most days at MGM and Epcot, which only involved a walk or a boat ride from our resort (BCV). Only once did we load both ECVs onto a bus, and it was pretty stressful because it took a while and everyone was watching of course. This time we'll have 2 ECVs for our whole stay.

Here are my concerns/questions which I'm hoping you can help me with:

1. Are all WDW buses equipped for 2 ECVs? Seems to me I've been on buses that can only accommodate one ECV. If that's the case, how do I make sure that a bus arrives that can accommodate 2 units?

2. It will be Easter week, so crowds will be greater and buses will be packed. (We're prepared to deal with the crowds at the parks, take it slowly, and see whatever we can fit in.) 2 ECV units obviously take up a fair amount of space on already crowded buses. Last year, we had some VERY nasty comments made on our bus ride with both units. (You don't want to know.) I'm not even sure what my question is here. Guess I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out if there's any way to avoid the awkwardness and stress of the bus situation.

3. We're staying at BCV, which shares buses with other resorts. So that accentuates the crowded aspect to the buses.

Has anyone else had 2 ECVs in their traveling party? Any words of wisdom will be very much appreciated!

Apart from the bus concerns, we are all SOOO excited to be going back together. My parents are the most humble and gracious people. They were so impressed with how helpful WDW is to the elderly and disabled. They enjoyed everything with the wide-eyed enthusiasm of children, and they can't wait to go back.

Now if I can just alleviate my own concerns about the bus situation, we'll be all set. Thank you for any help or advice you have for me! :wave2:

Yes, all the WDW buses can handle two ECVs. The only potential problem is if there is already one person with a wc or ECV on the bus, in which case you would have to either split your group or wait for another bus.

As far as comments, there are two rebuttals. One is "yes, we are first on but also we are last off". The other is to (sweetly) offer to let the commenter have the ECV if they will take all the infirmities which make it necessary.

::yes::
They can all handle 2, but as Cheshire Figment mentioned, it's possible that there may already be someone on the bus using a wheelchair or ecv.

Staying at BC, you will be able to go to MGM and Epcot by boat or by following the path to the park. If you are not concerned about time, you could avoid using the bus to go to MK by going thru Epcot and then taking the monorail to MK. That way, you would only have to use the bus to get to AK.

As for other "hints" for the bus, we try to hit non-peak bus times. For example, lots of people try to leave the park right after a parade or show like Fantasmic. If you are not interested in the parade, leave before or during, not after. Also, for shows like Fantasmic or the night parade at MK, wait a while before you leave and let the crowds get on the buses ahead of you. We take our time leaving and sometimes are getting on a bus that still has quite a bit of room for passengers when it leaves the park.
We've been to WDW over Easter the last few years, so I know this works at Easter too.

I am in an ECV, my daughter in a chair (and when Nana is with us we have a Power Chair in our group) I really feel for you with the corwds of angry people...I use both of Cheshire's comments often.....I don't have anything to add except my support. If you see us toddling around when you are here, say hi!

I'm Nana and we are a sight when the 3 of us are riding around together but we sure do have fun. And I have had people make the same comments (my husband is my ears for what I miss) It is those times that I am happy my aids are out or broken. Ignore the comments and enjoy Disney. Use Chesire Figment's lines to counter. Hope to meet you rolling around the World.

Cheshire Figment said:
As far as comments, there are two rebuttals. One is "yes, we are first on but also we are last off". The other is to (sweetly) offer to let the commenter have the ECV if they will take all the infirmities which make it necessary.

First of all I love the above comments! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
My family was at Disney is September, and yes, I saw two cute elderly ladies both in ECV's and they were both able to ride on the same bus. I thought it was wonderful for them to be able to enjoy something so special, and I say shame on you to the people that are "put off " by having to wait. Tough luck, Disney is for all to enjoy, if you don't like it, rent a car so you don't have to wait. Also at closing, it's not unusual to have more than one bus leaving for your resort, so the wait should not be too bad if theres one at all. Enjoy your trip with your parents and make wonderful memories! Happy Holidays!

We had THREE ECVs last September and were always accomodated. Everytime, the bus driver would always call for a 2nd bus to come right away to get the third ECV. Most times it arrived before the first two were finished loading. Also, on a couple of occasions, when the bus was practically empty (like at 1:30 am from Pleasure Island), they allowed us to fold up the third ECV and load it like a stroller. (It is really small).

When loading the 2nd ECV on the older buses it was easier for us to put it in freewheel mode and push it into position as it is a kindof tight maneuver.

Don't worry about it! Enjoy!!

Also, the suggestion about walking through Epcot to Magic Kingdom is a good one.

Carol

Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind replies. There's lots of good advice and encouragement here.

Cheshire Figment, I admire your diplomacy. I must confess that I DID respond directly to the rudest 2 commenters on the bus, much to their obvious surprise. But I was pretty "direct" because I was so hurt and outraged that my parents were being insulted. The 2 people quit commenting but didn't apologize of course. I need to be prepared to respond calmly and sweetly as you recommended. Thanks for giving me some good words!

Again, thanks very much to you all! :sunny:

I stayed at Boardwalk with my wife's Grandmother (84) and Grandfather (87). Both had ECV's for the first time. I would say that it is difficult to maneuver the second ECV on the bus. We only did it one time. The rest of the time we walked through epcot and took the monorail. Monorail loading was very easy and we were experts by the end of the week. Check the schedules to make sure Epcot isn't close when you are trying to return to your hotel because I don't think they will let you walk through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter