Confirmed: Disney Wish Announcement Coming April 29th

JJZMgailey

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
On this week’s episode of the DIS Unplugged, Pete mentioned that based on what we were seeing that an announcement had to be coming soon about the release of the Disney Wish – the highly anticipated new ship that Disney Cruise Line is building. Well, no sooner did he say that on the show than Disney announces that they are holding an “event” on April 29th regarding the Wish.

Read more...

From DCLFan "Based on general history with DCL, my guess is... we’ll see sailings opened up for reservations starting Monday, May 3rd. "

Has anyone sailed on a DCL Maiden voyage? Any pros/cons to sailing on the Wish maiden voyage versus waiting 1-2 months? Very exciting!

Cool! What are the chances of snagging a spot on the maiden voyage being platinum?
I'm sure the maiden voyage is 99% platinum. is this correct?

Will this announcement provide details about what the ship will have to offer, and detailed deck plans? Or will it just be "bookings opening on X date and here are the itineraries?"

From DCLFan "Based on general history with DCL, my guess is... we’ll see sailings opened up for reservations starting Monday, May 3rd. "

Has anyone sailed on a DCL Maiden voyage? Any pros/cons to sailing on the Wish maiden voyage versus waiting 1-2 months? Very exciting!

I haven't but am now platinum and REALLY want to be on a maiden~! In the past Ive heard they have special guests/big wigs from DCL, media folk and a few extra pieces of swag/"maiden voyage" printed items in the gift shop for purchase. Unfortunately I have ALSO heard of huge lines to buy said merchandise, and a quick run for profit getting said items on eBay. For the maiden voyages of the Dream and Fantasy there were also scattered stories of people "taking anything not nailed down" with many little butter knives from Animators and pillows from the staterooms ending up in peoples luggage home. I really hope it was overblown... :(

Cool! What are the chances of snagging a spot on the maiden voyage being platinum?
I'm sure the maiden voyage is 99% platinum. is this correct?

I think it is good... though there are of course more platinum cruisers now than there were in 2011/2012. I've got my fingers crossed I can be on it..! For the Dream/Fantasy people of all levels were able to get on it, though I don't know the numbers of each.

Will this announcement provide details about what the ship will have to offer, and detailed deck plans? Or will it just be "bookings opening on X date and here are the itineraries?"

The invitation/registration said they will go over the new areas and details, but I don't know about detailed deck plans... I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait a little longer for those. I certainly hope we get a date to book the maiden & other voyages!

We were on the maiden voyages of both the Dream & the Fantasy. They were both great as far as special guests/performers & gifts left in our stateroom each day. But in every other aspect, they were as different as night and day. On the Dream - the sailaway party champagne was served in special maiden voyage glasses from maiden voyage labeled champagne bottles. One per person (glass not bottle LOL). But people could be seen running cases of glasses & bottles back to their cabins. The stores opened at 6pm (while we were at 1st dinner seating) and when we finally got to the store around 7, it was trashed. Almost nothing was left of the maiden voyage shirts, hats, etc. & passengers were literally screaming at CMs who were trying to take "wait lists" in case anymore items were in the storage room. Meanwhile, there were people on line to pay with arm loads of shirts, hats etc. Disney put no limit on items. Twice we saw elevators shut down - once was when someone took the lcd screen off the wall in the elevator & another time someone had pryed up a floor tile. Walking around the ship later that first night, we heard many people bragging about already having their stuff on ebay. Later in the cruise our servers told us that 2500 animators palate butter knives had "disappeared". There was also a rumor that someone was caught reselling shirts & hats in one of the stateroom hallways late the first night.
On the Fantasy - maiden voyage shirts, hats, etc. were preordered and waiting in your cabin. The special champagne glasses were also in your stateroom (1 per adult) - the sailaway party had plain plastic glasses for the champagne. The store had the knives and pillows for sale (the pillows were $200 & I remember seeing a notice somewhere that if the one in your cabin "accidently found it's way" into your suitcase, you will be charged $200. The whole atmosphere was much calmer & I didn't see any vandalism.
Hopefully Disney remembers the lessons they learned from the Dream's maiden.

Absolutely loved the maiden voyage on the Fantasy!! It was very unique.

So many amazing experiences. I’ll never forget sitting next to Lea Salonga, Steven Schwartz and Karl Holz at Remy. Lectures with imagineer Joe Lazaro and Bob Iger stopping by to chat with us as well. A lot of cool gifts as well.

I hope to book the maiden voyage on the Wish.

On previous Maiden voyages once itineraries were booked did the sailing take place on the scheduled date? (Aside from Covid is there risk of not sailing, ship not being ready, etc?)

Is there a premium in pricing for the maiden voyage vs sailing a few weeks later?

Last edited:
We were on the maiden voyages of both the Dream & the Fantasy. They were both great as far as special guests/performers & gifts left in our stateroom each day. But in every other aspect, they were as different as night and day. On the Dream - the sailaway party champagne was served in special maiden voyage glasses from maiden voyage labeled champagne bottles. One per person (glass not bottle LOL). But people could be seen running cases of glasses & bottles back to their cabins. The stores opened at 6pm (while we were at 1st dinner seating) and when we finally got to the store around 7, it was trashed. Almost nothing was left of the maiden voyage shirts, hats, etc. & passengers were literally screaming at CMs who were trying to take "wait lists" in case anymore items were in the storage room. Meanwhile, there were people on line to pay with arm loads of shirts, hats etc. Disney put no limit on items. Twice we saw elevators shut down - once was when someone took the lcd screen off the wall in the elevator & another time someone had pryed up a floor tile. Walking around the ship later that first night, we heard many people bragging about already having their stuff on ebay. Later in the cruise our servers told us that 2500 animators palate butter knives had "disappeared". There was also a rumor that someone was caught reselling shirts & hats in one of the stateroom hallways late the first night.
On the Fantasy - maiden voyage shirts, hats, etc. were preordered and waiting in your cabin. The special champagne glasses were also in your stateroom (1 per adult) - the sailaway party had plain plastic glasses for the champagne. The store had the knives and pillows for sale (the pillows were $200 & I remember seeing a notice somewhere that if the one in your cabin "accidently found it's way" into your suitcase, you will be charged $200. The whole atmosphere was much calmer & I didn't see any vandalism.

That's some disgusting behavior you have described.

Any pros/cons to sailing on the Wish maiden voyage versus waiting 1-2 months? Very exciting!
The pros are that you get to be the first to try the ship and to pick up some unique merchandise. And the cons are the same as for anything new that is released - some rough edges, incomplete work, things not working, etc. Plus, in this case, there is a price premium too.

People will also line up outside an Apple store overnight to pick up a new iPhone. We don't see the charm, but clearly there is a market.

Was anyone able to book a maiden voyage as gold or silver in the past for the Dream or Fantasy?

It's amazing to me that adults would act like that.

It is indeed! But, I am sorry to say, it is entirely accurate. We watched people climbing under tables where the stuff was stored, and carting off cases of champagne and Inaugural champagne flutes. And when we disembarked people were literally loading these cases into taxis or vans right outside the doors of the terminal. They were selling the stuff on ebay before we ever got off the ship! Although we did get our allotted one glass per person, lots of people did not get their glasses or any champagne as people had stolen so much of it before everyone had a chance to have any. We couldn't believe how blatant and selfish these jerks could be!

Also, they just didn't have it together. Many of the servers (ours included) could not speak English very well and couldn't understand what we said. They had clearly not had enough training to get the job done for twice as many guests as Disney was used to on their ships. They just did not know what they were doing. The whole dinner process looked like the Keystone Cops. We had second seating, and for three out of the four nights, we didn't even get out of the restaurants until after 11PM. But, I guess we are gluttons for punishment, because we absolutely do NOT regret being on that cruise :-)

I fully expect the Wish Inaugural to be nearly glitch free, though. We read that by the time the Fantasy Inaugural took place, they had solved the problems (as the previous poster said) and things went very smoothly. We waited for the 3rd or 4th cruise after the Inaugural on the Fantasy, but we are not waiting for this one! We are so excited about the Wish Inaugural!

It is indeed! But, I am sorry to say, it is entirely accurate. We watched people climbing under tables where the stuff was stored, and carting off cases of champagne and Inaugural champagne flutes. And when we disembarked people were literally loading these cases into taxis or vans right outside the doors of the terminal. They were selling the stuff on ebay before we ever got off the ship! Although we did get our allotted one glass per person, lots of people did not get their glasses or any champagne as people had stolen so much of it before everyone had a chance to have any. We couldn't believe how blatant and selfish these jerks could be!

Also, they just didn't have it together. Many of the servers (ours included) could not speak English very well and couldn't understand what we said. They had clearly not had enough training to get the job done for twice as many guests as Disney was used to on their ships. They just did not know what they were doing. The whole dinner process looked like the Keystone Cops. We had second seating, and for three out of the four nights, we didn't even get out of the restaurants until after 11PM. But, I guess we are gluttons for punishment, because we absolutely do NOT regret being on that cruise :-)

I fully expect the Wish Inaugural to be nearly glitch free, though. We read that by the time the Fantasy Inaugural took place, they had solved the problems (as the previous poster said) and things went very smoothly. We waited for the 3rd or 4th cruise after the Inaugural on the Fantasy, but we are not waiting for this one! We are so excited about the Wish Inaugural!
If you had second seating, you must have seen the free-for-all in the store when it opened! I can't imagine what it was like - only got to see the aftermath an hour later. We felt so sorry for the CMs - some were on the verge of tears. It just amazes me that DCL seemed to have no control over anything. Do you remember the Ducky Williams lithograph signing event? They had one signing session & it seemed like every passenger on the ship was there. Ducky was set up outside the theater and the line snaked back past the stores and back through the atrium. It must have been interfering with other things because a couple of officers showed up and decided to have the end of the line follow them - they tried to loop it back to the store area - sort of the way WDW lines snake back and forth. Well the people in the front saw these end of the line people coming and all h@ll broke loose. We actually saw a fist fight that had to be broken up by the officers. All this while they kept announcing that Ducky would stay until all the lithos were signed. It was truly insane behavior. (For comparison sake - on the Fantasy maiden, the Ducky signing event was done one deck at a time on consecutive days - DCL learned something).

I've heard that the Magic inaugural sailing was a you-know-what show too. I don't know about the Wonder. Hopefully since they've had two inaugural sailings on similar size ships, they know what the expect. With the Magic and Dream, they were new classes that Disney had never had before, so there was a learning curve.

I've heard that the Magic inaugural sailing was a you-know-what show too. I don't know about the Wonder. Hopefully since they've had two inaugural sailings on similar size ships, they know what the expect. With the Magic and Dream, they were new classes that Disney had never had before, so there was a learning curve.

Well, that literally would have been their first-ever sailing. So I'm sure they had a lot to learn and a lot of kinks to iron out. These horror stories about the Dream, though? That's a different story.

BTW, when it comes to the people selling the merch on eBay...I don't understand why someone who wasn't on the sailing would want that stuff. I would only want it if I were there and on that inaugural sailing. Otherwise, that stuff holds no value to me.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter