CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

I’m not a huge fan of illuminations. It is lovely but after many trips it’s not on our ‘must do’ when traveling as a family of 4..

That being said - my upcoming April trip with extended family has the FEA Dessert Party as a priority and we are anxiously awaiting April dates. Fingers crossed it’s not dark or doing a switch over during my trip!!

Yeah, I mean I did see it once, but the globe didn't open, and it was a weird atmosphere since it was 2 days before Irma and my first day in a WDW park! I'm leaning towards yes, but may base it on my exhaustion level that day!

That is a bummer that not everything wasn't working when you saw it. It throws off the overall feel for sure (and an impending hurricane I'm sure didn't help!). What is nice about Illuminations is that you can find a spot anywhere around WS fairly early and just sit and soak in the ambiance of whatever country you are in. It is just a perk that you are also saving your spot for the show!

Have an amazing trip! I just noticed your ticker has only a day left!!

I love Illuminations - but also know things need to change and be updated eventually

I just hope that whatever replaces it is something unique to EPCOT and has a similar vibe/fee/message/whatever of Illuminations - heck, maybe just change the second part so instead of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth it is Illuminations: Alive with Magic (or whatever)

All I want is for the four parks to feel unique, rather than 4 Magic Kingdoms and similarly I want 4 unique night time shows - not 4 versions of Happily Ever After (no matter how much I love it)

I enjoy the beginning and ending sections of Illuminations. The middle part not so much. The fountain effects are weak, as is the globe, and they are so far away.

My issue is that if this rumor is true, then I don't hold out much hope for the replacement. I have always believed that the water and globe effects should be upgraded significantly in some fashion. I would think that new fountains in the very least would be in order. To me something like that would take a lot of time and effort and I would expect that to have already started if we are only talking months from a debut. I would also expect either a better globe or an entire replace and redo if the show is truly entirely different.

So if there is a new show on the horizon, I don't know what to think at this point. A new song with new pyro won't be enough to get me excited.

There is no way this is coming out "soon."

Epcot would be doing many, many test runs of this show before debuting it. These test runs would likely happen after park close and would be obvious (because of the sounds and the, you know, fireworks) to those is the area...which would then trickle down to various web sites and Twitter. So far, no one has reported any show tests, so this seems like it is pretty far off.

Once I've seen a fireworks show a couple of times I'm over it. I haven't seen Illuminations in years. I do appreciate the FW shows as it holds people there while I make a clean escape.

There is no way this is coming out "soon."

Epcot would be doing many, many test runs of this show before debuting it. These test runs would likely happen after park close and would be obvious (because of the sounds and the, you know, fireworks) to those is the area...which would then trickle down to various web sites and Twitter. So far, no one has reported any show tests, so this seems like it is pretty far off.
If they are just recording music for it it wouldn't be ready for test runs yet.

Rumors still indicate 2019-2020 timeframe for a new show.

If they are just recording music for it it wouldn't be ready for test runs yet.

Rumors still indicate 2019-2020 timeframe for a new show.

How long did they test run happily ever after cause I’m pretty sure they recorded that song like a month before it debuted

How long did they test run happily ever after cause I’m pretty sure they recorded that song like a month before it debuted
Tests for fireworks happened only a week or two before over night. I'd have to imaginer they recorded music much earlier than a month before. We saw behind the scenes videos in the weeks leading up but those can be recorded well in advance.

Just saw a post on Facebook about how Disney is fast-tracking a replacement for Illuminations. There wasn't a ton of detail, except that the new show may not be focused around the lagoon. Anyone here know anything more?

f this is true, I'm going to have to plan a trip asap! I love Illuminations and will be very sad to see it go.

Fast track may be a relative term, no one has details right now. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about it not being centered around the lagoon. It seems to me that is the only logical place to have it. Anywhere else would cause problems with viewing, and insanity at the end of the show (well, kind of like MK has now with HEA) hopefully, they have learned their lesson with Happily Ever After, and will not repeat that mess in another park.

Sorry, I see this is a duplicate. I swear I did a search to see if the topic had been brought up. About as useful as doing a search on my work computer.:crazy2::crazy2:

While I agree that the show could use an update, I will be sad if Illuminations goes away before the end of this year as I have a trip planned for September and was hoping that I could see it one last time in person before it is gone for good.

I would be fine with that as well.

It seems pretty weak/thin lately, still pretty and song saves it. Of course Dec kinda ruins it with that ending.
Huh? "Let There Be Peace On Earth" is beautiful, and melds perfectly with the overall theme. Plus, it's a tribute to the original Holiday Illuminations. I just wish they hadn't replace Water Cronkite's intro & outro.

Huh? "Let There Be Peace On Earth" is beautiful, and melds perfectly with the overall theme. Plus, it's a tribute to the original Holiday Illuminations. I just wish they hadn't replace Water Cronkite's intro & outro.

I said that goofy, I must have went 10 times in Dec. The Holiday ending (just amazing) ruined it for the rest of the year.

Went last month.......:bored:

Last edited:
In 2014 we stayed at Beach Club and saw Illuminations so many times that when we went back last year we could barely sit through it once! :rotfl:

Be happy to see a new show in 2020!

We've stayed at Beach Club or Boardwalk over the past 15 years, and EPCOT is right up there with MK as one of our favorite parks. Over all that time we've seen (or heard) Illuminations countless times - mostly outside of EPCOT. Walking around the Boardwalk grabbing an ice cream or a snack, sitting on the balcony looking at the fireworks, lounging by the quiet pool or taking a dip in the hot tub. When we are in the "Disney-bubble" - Illuminations is an integral part of the soundtrack of what makes WDW to us. I don't wear a watch at Disney, but I can always count on Illuminations as my alarm that tells me it's time to go for a drink somewhere.

While I'm sure the replacement will be fine and possibly an improvement, there's still a part of me that hates to see it go.

But if they turn it into some sort of Avenger commercial, I'm out.

I agree with some who posted it could use an update, but I also hope that it remains available through this year. My DH and I have a trip planned for our anniversary in September. He proposed to me during Illuminations and we are excited to be seeing it ON our anniversary. <<crossing fingers>>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter