CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

I love Illuminations, but it is getting long in the tooth. I will miss it, especially the music. If they could find a way to keep some or all of the soundtrack, that would be the best of both worlds.

One thing that Disney does very well are fireworks shows. I have faith that they will do a great job with whatever show replaces it. There have so many technological advances since it debuted. It’s time for an update, and frankly, the globe has always been a weak spot. It’s small in relation to the size of the lagoon, and it’s difficult to see the images on it if you aren’t in the right spot.
I think my favorite was the first/original one where they lit up the different countries. The globe wasn't that great though, but for the period, I guess it was groundbreaking, just a laser drawing/writing on the globe.

Anymore I don't know how credible the rumor is.
Its been months and Disney still has not confirmed that its ending or that a new show is coming.
Its still on the calendar in December as the nightly show at Epcot so I'd venture to guess its certainly not being replaced this year even though the article would lead you to believe it could be replaced by September/October because "its nearing completion". How do they know that when Disney has not even announced that it will be ending or a replacement is in the works. They don't usually do this kind of thing without a warning.

Anymore I don't know how credible the rumor is.
Its been months and Disney still has not confirmed that its ending or that a new show is coming.
Its still on the calendar in December as the nightly show at Epcot so I'd venture to guess its certainly not being replaced this year even though the article would lead you to believe it could be replaced by September/October because "its nearing completion". How do they know that when Disney has not even announced that it will be ending or a replacement is in the works. They don't usually do this kind of thing without a warning.
Just because a show is on the calendar doesn't mean it won't be replaced. Wishes was believed to keep going yet was surprisingly replaced with Happily Ever After.

If you follow this board you will see that many sites and people have sources on the inside that know these things even though Disney has not announced said thing yet.

Just because a show is on the calendar doesn't mean it won't be replaced. Wishes was believed to keep going yet was surprisingly replaced with Happily Ever After.

If you follow this board you will see that many sites and people have sources on the inside that know these things even though Disney has not announced said thing yet.
Wishes was still about a 3 month warning wasn't it? I think it was announced around the 2 second week of Feb and HEA started at the end of April.

Wishes was still about a 3 month warning wasn't it? I think it was announced around the 2 second week of Feb and HEA started at the end of April.
Wishes ended May 11th I believe and HEA started May 12th.

Disney technically doesn't have to give us any warning of course. If something is coming this fall I would expect an announcement soon.

Wishes ended May 11th I believe and HEA started May 12th.

Disney technically doesn't have to give us any warning of course. If something is coming this fall I would expect an announcement soon.
Yeah, of course they don't have to give any warning, but they did give right at 3 months for Wishes.

Did they do special “farewell stuff” for Wishes? I’m thinking they had some merchandise and maybe did some special dessert parties or reserved viewing and a party at California Grill the last night? I could be remembering wrong but hope they do something to celebrate Illuminations before it is retired.

[QUOTE="JerseyJanice, post: 59334325, member: 2341"

One thing that Disney does very well are fireworks shows. I have faith that they will do a great job with whatever show replaces it. There have so many technological advances since it debuted. It’s time for an update, and frankly, the globe has always been a weak spot. It’s small in relation to the size of the lagoon, and it’s difficult to see the images on it if you aren’t in the right spot.[/QUOTE]

I had faith. Until I saw what I consider to be a horrible failure, Happily Ever After. All show no heart. I wanted to like it, but after a few viewings it just doesn't touch me at all. I will be very upset that if they decide to replace Illuminations, they do the same thing. Put in a show that is all technology and no heart.

I had faith. Until I saw what I consider to be a horrible failure, Happily Ever After. All show no heart. I wanted to like it, but after a few viewings it just doesn't touch me at all. I will be very upset that if they decide to replace Illuminations, they do the same thing. Put in a show that is all technology and no heart.

Talk about a hot take. I think 95% of guests or more would disagree

Talk about a hot take. I think 95% of guests or more would disagree

I don't know. Out of the 4 of us that saw it the first time, none of us went Wow! It was more along the line of What is the giant mash up supposed to mean?

And I know I'm not the only poster who thinks it lacks the emotion of Wishes.

Agreed. Not everyone has to like it, but I always get confused when people say it has no emotion/story or is just a bunch of movie clips strung together. I find the storyline and message of the show just incredible and very moving. I cry like a baby every time.

I agree - I loooove Wishes and was sad to see it go - but I actually like the message of HAE a bit better and get a bit emotional when I think of my kids watching it and the idea of having a dream but then putting in the work to make your “happily ever after” a reality

Well I disagree about the heart of HAE - that said I don’t want the Illuminations replacement to just be another HAE. I prefer when the different parks have a different feel and in some ways wish it wasn’t the same people working on this replacement as did HAE (as is part of the rumor)

I didn’t love HEA after the first couple of times I saw it. I agree that it came across at first as a mash-up of songs from Disney movies without a story or theme.

Now after seeing it several times, I get the theme, but the biggest thrill for me was watching my baby nieces see Tinkerbell fly during the show. They loved it! So now I have a great memory of these toddlers who I adore being thrilled at seeing Tinkerbell fly.

Illuminations Reflections of Earth, I loved the first time I saw it. Same with Rivers of Light.

The night time shows are my favorite thing to do at WDW. They have to change them up from time to time. Illuminations has been running since 1999. It’s time for a change.

Last edited:
I don't know. Out of the 4 of us that saw it the first time, none of us went Wow! It was more along the line of What is the giant mash up supposed to mean?

And I know I'm not the only poster who thinks it lacks the emotion of Wishes.

For me, I feel like HEA has more heart and it makes me more emotional than Wishes ever did.

I also find Illuminations boring :duck:

Did they do special “farewell stuff” for Wishes? I’m thinking they had some merchandise and maybe did some special dessert parties or reserved viewing and a party at California Grill the last night? I could be remembering wrong but hope they do something to celebrate Illuminations before it is retired.
Yes they had some merchandise.

Agreed. Not everyone has to like it, but I always get confused when people say it has no emotion/story or is just a bunch of movie clips strung together. I find the storyline and message of the show just incredible and very moving. I cry like a baby every time.
I think it’s a far more moving and entertaining show than wishes. And that includes the story as well. Then again I wasn’t a big fan of wishes in the slightest

I think it’s a far more moving and entertaining show than wishes. And that includes the story as well. Then again I wasn’t a big fan of wishes in the slightest
Wishes grew on me the more I saw it, but I looked the story the first time. I didn't get a good sense of the story from one watching of HEA at all, though. Just sounded like a mash up to me.

The pyro in HEA was way better than Wishes, though.

Last edited:
I must be in the minority, thinking it's been stale for years. I haven't even bothered to see it the last couple of times.

Nope, I'm right there with you. I take the time while it's on to enjoy FW or shop while everyone is watching it. It is by far my least favorite night time show at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter