Consent to travel letter not notarized

ilovetotravel1977

DIS Veteran
Sooo, I thought I had arranged for a family friend who is a lawyer to notarize my consent for travel letters. DH isn’t coming with us this trip so we thought I should have this letter with us. Well, the person won’t return my email or text for some odd reason. Let’s say I don’t have it notarized, will it still be okay if DH signs it, but not notarized?

The handful of times that I've travelled with my daughter and left hubby at home, I have never had it notarized. Nor do I intend to when DD (aged 10) and I go to WDW next week. Never been a problem for us.

That said, when the customs agent asks questions to my daughter, I am careful not to answer for her even when she was really small. I expect they are gauging how comfortable she is with the travel as an indication of whether they need to investigate further.

I mean I would because on the iff chance they do want it and weren’t happy with something are you ok with not going over something that easily could have been gotten for what $20?
I personally never take the chance on big vacations, day trips shopping maybe but vacations no I consider it insurance or having my ducks in a row

Ugh this is annoying. DD is 14 so it's not like I have an infant or even 5 year old who can't really speak for herself. I mean, IF the Border folks ask her why she is with me and her grandparents and her father isn't here, the honest answer is "He hates Disney World!" lol

This is one of those things where the risk is low (chance that they ask is very low) but the consequences could be high (if they did, worst case you cannot cross the border). For the cost and convenience of getting a mobile notarization (~$70), I guess I would ask why wouldn't you?

We have never had it notorized. Travelled a lot with one or both daughters solo from young till now. The paper we have gives our names, and phone numbers so boarder security can call and check. Only once were we stopped, on the way into Canada at the airport in Toronto. Looked at it, asked daughter 5 at the time, and on our way.

I contacted a friend who is a lawyer and she is going to do it for me next week. Thank god. My dad said he would get his lawyer to do it and I was like "No way am I paying someone $100 for three signatures!" lol

The firm that we downloaded from the gov website did not need to be notarized, just witnessed. No issues while travelling.

We just have a neighbour sign as a witness. The only time we had it notarized was when I was supposed to fly to Tokyo with both kids alone to meet DH who had been working in Asia for 3 months. I didn’t want to risk it since he had to sign the form 3 months before our travel date. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the trip. 😭

I contacted a friend who is a lawyer and she is going to do it for me next week. Thank god. My dad said he would get his lawyer to do it and I was like "No way am I paying someone $100 for three signatures!" lol
A notary can do it. Search notary. Our local one at a law office does it for a donation to theirs office coffee fund.

I have travelled many times with my kids without DH, only ever to the US. Most of the time driving across the border(flying from BUF) but sometimes flying from YYZ. I always had a letter that was written on DH's company letterhead, signed by both of us and signed by his boss along with everyone's business cards attached. The letter included DH's consent/knowledge of the trip, all our passport info (incl DH's), all dates, airline and hotel info, DH's consent for me to make any medical decisions, all our phone numbers and address. Then a sentence or two from DH's boss stating who he was and confirmed all info.....I guess a witness of sorts. My kids were prepared to speak for themselves should they be asked by border agents. They were questioned maybe 50% of the time. I would also say I was asked for the letter 50% of the time. The first time I took my youngest away she was 7 and her passport had not been signed....that was the only thing that was questioned. The agent asked her if she could write her name, she said yes and he handed her a pen.

My kids also travelled with my mother and those trips we got the letter notarized. She never took them to the US...they went to Mexico. Those times the kids were never asked anything but my mother had to produce the letter. Oddly, the one time my mother was not asked for the letter in Canada at airport check in, she was asked in MX when checking in for the return flight.

I have travelled many times with my kids without DH, only ever to the US. Most of the time driving across the border(flying from BUF) but sometimes flying from YYZ. I always had a letter that was written on DH's company letterhead, signed by both of us and signed by his boss along with everyone's business cards attached. The letter included DH's consent/knowledge of the trip, all our passport info (incl DH's), all dates, airline and hotel info, DH's consent for me to make any medical decisions, all our phone numbers and address. Then a sentence or two from DH's boss stating who he was and confirmed all info.....I guess a witness of sorts. My kids were prepared to speak for themselves should they be asked by border agents. They were questioned maybe 50% of the time. I would also say I was asked for the letter 50% of the time. The first time I took my youngest away she was 7 and her passport had not been signed....that was the only thing that was questioned. The agent asked her if she could write her name, she said yes and he handed her a pen.

My kids also travelled with my mother and those trips we got the letter notarized. She never took them to the US...they went to Mexico. Those times the kids were never asked anything but my mother had to produce the letter. Oddly, the one time my mother was not asked for the letter in Canada at airport check in, she was asked in MX when checking in for the return flight.
What kind of questions do they ask children? My stepson gets very nervous talking to strangers so I would like to prepare him for this.

They asked my daughter conversational questions e.g. Where are you going today? Have you been to Disney World before? Are you excited?

What kind of questions do they ask children? My stepson gets very nervous talking to strangers so I would like to prepare him for this.
They ask the kids….
Who is this person you are with? My kids thought that was really weird
Did you know about the trip before today?
Where are you going?
How long will you be there?
What are you planning to do while there?

Once when my daughter was with my mom she was asked if her parents knew where she was and who she was with. She was a young teen at that point. She said she had a letter from our family lawyer giving her permission to go.

Basically similar sorts of questions they might ask an adult. Part of the purpose of questioning is to observe body language and reactions.

Prepare your stepson so that he will know you can not answer for him if he is asked.

Back when DD14 was 5, it was the summer before she started school. We were visiting friends in Saint John, NB and we decided to drive to Calais, ME for the day. Border guy asked DD5 who she was driving with ("my mom and dad") and where we were going ("shopping for school stuff"). I think they ask questions based on how old the child looks so they can at least understand and can answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter