Considering Aulani, a few questions.

The onsite rental agency for aulani is Alamo. Goto Alamo.com and use HNLR72 as your pickup and drop off location to price it out.

I'd say you could do all 3 of those in a day. Start off at the dole plantation head to the north shore, have lunch at a shrimp truck then go to PCC for afternoon/evening luau.

Others may disagree though... We didn't find dole plantation or PCC to be that worthwhile though, so I wouldn't dedicate much time to them.

I put in that location number and was given a quote of $144 for 1 day (plus taxes). That is absurd.

Now, any good prices on shuttles from HNL to Aulani? I saw one that was for $50 each way for up to 4 people. Any better rates?

Ya, that's similar to what we saw (insane prices from rental cars at aulani). Did you book a standard room or are you staying dvc? You should check out the rates from the airport to rent a car, it's much more reasonable. If you're planning to go anywhere else (and I would, there's a lot to see on oahu), it's almost necessary. If you're staying dvc I think parking is free. We weren't, and the parking cost almost as much as renting the vehicle (35$/day). Still... It was worth it.

donkthemagicllama said:
Ya, that's similar to what we saw (insane prices from rental cars at aulani). Did you book a standard room or are you staying dvc? You should check out the rates from the airport to rent a car, it's much more reasonable. If you're planning to go anywhere else (and I would, there's a lot to see on oahu), it's almost necessary. If you're staying dvc I think parking is free. We weren't, and the parking cost almost as much as renting the vehicle (35$/day). Still... It was worth it.

I checked renting a vehicle from the airport yesterday. Got a good rate, booked it just in case. No, not staying DVC.

As of now, however, not planning on going anywhere on Oahu. I've been there, done that, and we are primarily going for relaxation. Aulani is our destination.

We can walk to our luau, from my understanding, at Paradise Cove.

I understand there is snorkeling available at the resort. Any idea on the fees? I want to be as prepared as possible.

Rainbow reef is at the resort. If you're familiar with typhoon lagoon, it's similar to the snorkeling there. I'm pretty sure the cost was 20$ adult 15$ child for a day or 39$ adult and 29$ child for length of stay. Someone correct me of I'm wrong... Going by memory here. Includes rental gear if you don't have your own.

There are only cooking utensils in the DVC rooms if you are in a 1 bedroom and up. The studios have a toaster, microwave and coffeemaker and small fridge.

Rainbow reef is at the resort. If you're familiar with typhoon lagoon, it's similar to the snorkeling there. I'm pretty sure the cost was 20$ adult 15$ child for a day or 39$ adult and 29$ child for length of stay. Someone correct me of I'm wrong... Going by memory here. Includes rental gear if you don't have your own.

I called, those prices are correct. But no, I am not familiar with Typhoon Lagoon, never been to WDW. It is in the plan for next year if we don't do the cruise next year.

Ok... It's a pretty large pool. Salt water and rock/sand bottom so it looks pretty natural. Water is quite cool compared to the other pools and ocean. The first few feet are about 3ft deep so you can get setup and comfortable, then it drops to 8 or so feet deep for the rest of the area. It's crystal clear and filled with tropical fish. There's a cave with a viewing window outside so people outside can see the fish and snorkelers (and vice versa). You're not allowed to dive below the surface, and not supposed to kick (although that wasn't so well enforced... Although it was also nearly empty, so it wasn't much of an issue). Lifeguards watch everything pretty closely. They insist you wear an inflatable floaty thing, but you can leave it more or less deflated if you're comfortable snorkeling. If you've done lots of snorkeling, you probably won't be blown away, but if you haven't, it's a great way to learn and get comfortable. Also great for kids, my 4 year old looooooved it.

HarperAnnesNana said:
Trying to book a mini van for Dec 2013. What are issues with Thrifty? Should I not book with them?

We just used Thrifty in Orlando for a trip to WDW. When we landed at MCO and went to the Thrifty location they did not have a standard vehicle available like we had booked online and said it would just be a few minutes for them to bring one over. After 10mins the attendant came over and told us to go pick out a very nice SUV and on our way we went with no additional charge.

I don't know about thrifty, but national at the honolulu airport was sure awesome. The shuttle came right away, our SUV was waiting for us, and they gave my wife and kids bottles of water while I was installing carseats.

I always book my car rentals through costcotravel.com I always get the best rates when comparing with other sites.

If you're not a Costco member like me, you might want to try Priceline. I had great luck booking a car at $20 a day. I took the advice of my hairdresser who said to start a month before. So I did. They didn't accept my bid until the week before (last week). I had the avaibility of using the code from work which saved a little bit but then Priceline saved me another $105. I was able to get National. They were awesome. Note - the size you bid for is the size you get. You are charged immediately. In case you're not familiar. But when I picked up my car, it was smooth.

Trying to book a mini van for Dec 2013. What are issues with Thrifty? Should I not book with them?

The reviews on Yelp are pretty bad for Thrifty...dirty, smokey cars, bad customer service, etc. We decided to spend alittle extra just to be sure our vacation doesn't start on the wrong foot.

We got a quote of $55 for a shuttle/van from the airport to Aulani and there are 7 of us, so we would need 2 vans....so that is $210 right there. We want to do a little sight seeing so we decided to get a van and have options while we are there. A 7 person minivan is around $450 total with all the fees and taxes for 8 days and we are DVC members staying on points so parking is free.

Thanks for all the great car rental info. There are 7 of us. We will definitely need a mini van. We are staying at Aulani 4 nights and then moving next door to a regular beach condo for 9 more nights.

Friends,

I will make an attempt to address a few questions, based on our visit to Aulani January 18-25, 2013.

We had an ocean view studio on the 12th floor of the Ewa tower. Construction noise was never an issue for us and the construction area was not an impediment to our spectacular view of the Waikolohe Valley and the Pacific Ocean.

We rented a Mustang convertible for the week from the Alamo car rental agency at Honolulu International Airport. The cost for the car rental came in at under $400 for the week. This was accomplished through a judicious use of coupons and codes garnered from mousesavers.com car rental information page.

The car rental allowed us the opportunity to travel around Oahu at our leisure. This included visits to Pearl Harbor, Honolulu's Chinatown, Waikiki Aquarium, Waikiki Beach, Dole Plantation, Haleiwa, Waimea Bay Beach Park, Waimea Valley, Halona Blowhole, Polynesian Culture Center, Laniakea Beach, Bishop Museum, & Iolani Palace. We also attended the luau at Paradise Cove.

During our stay at Aulani we ate at Ama Ama; Makahiki Character Breakfast; Olelo Room; One Paddle, Two Paddle; Mama's Snack Stop; & Papalua Shave Ice.

Yes, the Aulani dining prices are high. Heck, dining most anywhere in Oahu brings a higher than mainland price tag with it. We were on holiday. The flights from Toronto to Honolulu through Chicago were paid for using frequent flyer points (the total flight cost to us was $360 for three people) and we are DVC members. The room cost was paid for long ago, save for the $5.67/day Hawaiian tax we had to pay. We didn't mind paying the cost of the meals -- and we found all the meals we ate while on Aulani property were excellent.

We cannot say the same for Paradise Cove Luau. The kalua pig was bland. Think of putting a pork roast into a slow cooker for the entire day. It was pulled pork without any seasoning. The fried chicken was nothing special. Neither was the fish and the desserts were all quite normal. The hula performances were nothing special. We were not impressed with the experience and would not go again.

The same goes for our experience at the Polynesian Cultural Center. It is a highly overpriced visit. We did not attend the luau there, but simply visited for the day. That alone cost $100 for the 3 of us. It was nice to be able to talk with the students from Brigham Young University-Hawaii (the entire center is a mission outreach of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints -- the Mormons) -- and get some insight into the Hawaiian hula & the Polynesian ocean going canoes at the Hawaiian pavilion, however we do not believe it was worth the cost of admission.

If/when we do a return visit to Aulani we will enjoy another dinner at Ama Ama. The cost was high, but it was such a wonderful experience. We had a sunset view table. Our maitre d' and the waiter gave us excellent attention throughout the evening. As soon as we were done with plates and cutlery the bus staff were there to clear the dirty dishes away and refill our water glasses. We found the food to be excellently prepared to our liking. At no time did the staff try to "upsell" us to a most expensive option.

As well, on our next visit we will spend more time at the Bishop Museum. We learned more about Polynesian culture through a 25 minute docent tour at the Bishop Museum than we did in an afternoon and evening combined at the Polynesian Cultural Center and the Paradise Cove Luau. As well, the Science Center gives a wonderful demonstration of the formation of the Hawaiian Islands, topped off by the pouring out of molten lava. The small planetarium shows a wonderful presentation of the night sky (that particular night's sky, for that matter) over Oahu and does a session on Polynesian navigation using the stars. Get to the planetarium shows early. The best seats are in the back of the auditorium. Don't forget -- there's a DVC member discount at the Bishop Museum.

The Aulani Starlit Hui gave a much better presentation of the Hawaiian hula than anything at the Paradise Cove Luau -- as well, we didn't have to suffer through the requisite luau tradition of making fun of mainlanders trying the hula (including dressing up an overweight male guest in grass skirt & coconut bra). Instead the Starlit Hui was a respectful presentation of Hawaiian culture, including different forms of hula. Guests were invited to take part in the hula -- but not to mock them or the hula. Instead they had the opportunity to learn the steps of the Aulani hula in the lead up to the Hui and then to be a part of the presentation of the hula.

The Dole Plantation is a tourist trap -- there is no getting around that fact. The store is a collection of every bit of Hawaiian kitsch you can imagine. It is not a truly operational pineapple plantation. That occurs elsewhere in the Hawaiian Islands. The train trip through the fields is a nice way to learn about how pineapple is cultivated and the history of pineapple cultivation in Hawaii (like most everything else that we think is Hawaiian, pineapple came from somewhere else). Military discounts are offered. There are coupons available in all the tourist coupon books. The Dole Whip was excellent -- very different from what is sold at WDW.

Hawaiian Green Sea turtles are often seen at Laniakea Beach on the North Shore of Oahu, between Haleiwa and Waimea Bay Beach Park. There is a wide spot on the road with shoulder parking on the south side of the road and the beach on the north side of the highway. Do not park on the north side -- police are around and will ticket your car. The Honu guardians have a spot on the eastern end of the beach with signs and information. They are wonderful people to chat with and will give you as much information about the sea turtles as you can take in. You might see the turtles swimming in the water. You might see them basking on the beach. (keep a respectful 6' distance, please) You might not see any sea turtles at all.

During the winter months the surf pounds the north shore of Oahu and many serious surfers make their way to Waimea Bay. If you're not an experienced surfer -- keep a respectful distance from the water. This is not a place to go paddling about in the ocean. The rip currents are dangerous and the surf rescue will be truthful in warning you away from the water's edge. What was dry sand one second can be knee deep in a wave the next second. As the surf rescue guy told us, "it's just not worth it." However, watching the surfers is a wonderful experience. Put the zoom lens on your camera, set it on Sports mode, screw on the polarizing lens filter and enjoy the photographic experience as surfers ride the wild waves of the North Shore.

Disney Photopass is in operation at Aulani. Find the Photopass photographers and use them to get those wonderful photographs. They have a bit of a different system there -- using both the traditional Photopass cards and going through photos of events & activities you attended during your stay. A photo package purchased at the Makahiki character breakfast can be added to your Photopass CD. A Photopass CD costs $99 -- but if you've been judicious about using the Photopass photographers, you could end up with a nice collection of holiday memories.

Please feel free to ask any questions -- I hope I have been able to answer some questions already out there.

Best wishes & Aloha!!!

Neil

The cheapest rental I could find was through Costco. $359 for 8 days in June intermediate car

I made a reservation for a rental through HNLRentalCars.com, and got a quote for a basic economy vehicle for $83.08 total (taxes included) for our stay (5days/4nights). This is with Advantage Rent A Car.

Paid Aulani in full today!! Now, if the next 8 weeks would just fly by!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter