Contemporary vs grand floridian

thestevied

DIS Veteran
Evening all!

After a long time away we're back and looking to book up again. Question is where? We've seen some great prices for contemporary and grand Floridian and as we usually stay in an Epcot resort we've decided a monorail resort would be a great change.

Contemporary has always been my dream resort ever since I was a kid but I appreciate it's not exactly modern or cutting edge any more. The wife and I have both loved grand Floridian every time we've been for dinner so it's a fairly difficult choice. Grand Floridian is also coming in £400 cheaper!

Just wanted to gauge some opinion from you all. I think (?) my mind is made up anyway but after some further influence!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Contemporary has always been my dream resort ever since I was a kid...

Snap. Stayed there a few weeks back in a theme park view room over Valentine's and it was everything that I always imagined it would be. However, I've ruined my wallet forever as I'll only ever want to stay there now.

The single downer about monorail resorts is that all round transport isn't actually all that great.

Evening all!

After a long time away we're back and looking to book up again. Question is where? We've seen some great prices for contemporary and grand Floridian and as we usually stay in an Epcot resort we've decided a monorail resort would be a great change.

Contemporary has always been my dream resort ever since I was a kid but I appreciate it's not exactly modern or cutting edge any more. The wife and I have both loved grand Floridian every time we've been for dinner so it's a fairly difficult choice. Grand Floridian is also coming in £400 cheaper!

Just wanted to gauge some opinion from you all. I think (?) my mind is made up anyway but after some further influence!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

i've stayed at both several times and i much prefer the grand floridian, but that's me..
every person is going to be different...

i'd be happy at both and if it's been your lifelong dream, then maybe you should go for the contemporary..

let me see if i can compare them for you...

they're both monorail resorts....
and i believe both of them also have boat transportation to the magic kingdom if you want to take it (i do, as i like boats...i don't recall ever using it from CR, but i have used it from GF)..

CR has the advantage of being within walking distance of the magic kingdom, which we usually take advantage of (though in the height of summer, it doesn't seem all that close)...
but when we stay at CR, we always walk back from MK to CR at closing time.....much easier than getting in line for the monorail...

what else...

i believe that most of the rooms in the CR are in the main building, whereas, most of the rooms at the GF are in other buildings...meaning you'll have to walk outside of the main building to get to your building at GF...
this doesn't bother me....but it's a difference....i believe that most of the rooms at CR are in the main building (but not all, so you need to be sure, if that's important to you)..

what else...

i like the theming of GF better than CR, but again that's a matter of taste...

i probably should add that my favorite resort at WDW is the grand floridian and my second favorite is the wilderness lodge...
if i rank order all the resorts (and i've stayed at most of them), the contemporary falls pretty far down on my list....
but again, that's all personal preference..
if it's been your lifelong dream, i would go for it!!!

and if truth be told, it is a very cool resort....so yes, pay the difference and stay there!! :)

I prefer the Contemporary. You really can't beat the short walk to MK. Also, I thought the rooms were more suited to my personal style.....and huge! I also liked how everything is so close, whereas I find the GF a bit too spread out. It's a great problem to have though, both are amazing resorts :-)

Such a tough choice. I kind of think as it's my dream if I do it I'd want to pay extra for a theme park view room rather than do it half heartedly. Either way I know we'll have a great time so we can't lose. Think we are going to go with the grand Floridian on this occasion though. That's the wife's dream resort as well!

Such a tough choice. I kind of think as it's my dream if I do it I'd want to pay extra for a theme park view room rather than do it half heartedly. Either way I know we'll have a great time so we can't lose. Think we are going to go with the grand Floridian on this occasion though. That's the wife's dream resort as well!

the contemporary is really cool.....i'm sure you'll both enjoy it..
when we stayed there most recently i went for broke, as you say....theme park view, concierge..
but i don't think it's necessary..

at GF, we've stayed in the fanciest concierge (in the main building) and we've stayed in the worst view building, garden view..
and i enjoyed both of them equally....i don't think you have to go for broke..
i think you'll enjoy both the GF and CR whatever your view is..
after all, do you really spend that much time in your room?

truth is, i enjoy the pop century and it's certainly not the GF or CR....but i'm at WDW and having a magical time!!

I prefer GF over CR.

CR feels like an outdated airport to me. Just doesn't feel right.

But then again we stayed at the Poly and 'downgraded' to Beach Club and spent the refund amount on cocktails lol

I love them both! The GF is fabulous and we've stayed in garden buildings, Sugar Loaf and the main building which have all been great. It does have a great feel to it and even though the buildings are quite spaced out, it never seems to be a problem as the grounds are so beautiful.

The CR is also fabulous! We first stayed in a garden view room and I wasn't too keen. Since then we've stayed in the main building with a theme park view. Nothing can beat sitting on your own balcony, glass of wine in hand and watching Wishes (although that will soon change with the new fireworks). I like the busy atmosphere of the CR, love the proximity to the Cali Grill and the walking route to MK is the biggest advantage.

I'm not too keen on the CR pool - it's a bit bland whereas the pools at the GF are both really good.

You can't go wrong with either hotel.

I don't recall seeing if you had children or not?

The monorail resorts are awesome for many reasons, however, there are somethings to consider when looking at it as a huge bonus.....

The GF is the last stop on the monorail line to MK, as a result, people have already got on the monorail system from the Poly as well as from the TC. This means the monorail is already full at peak times and limited access, especially if you have a double stroller etc.. This was something that was really bothersome to us, paying a premium to be close to the parks, on the monorail line but not being able to use it, it became a hassle. The CR allowed us to get the monorail if we wanted to but also walk to the MK, this was a huge bonus! I agree that the pool isn't as good as other premium resorts, but it isn't too bad. I actually enjoyed being on BL in the garden wing, a bit more of a walk but the location was much more peaceful.

So its all personal preference, mainly for us we make decisions based on the kids, if you don't have any i would be tempted to go GF just because of the price, but if you do have kids i would personally choose the CR.

if we're talking about the monorail, i'll be honest that i no longer like to ride the monorail at all...
it seems to break down a lot more these days..
and from what i recall, i think the hours are shorter than they used to be...
also, i've been on the monorail with a very sketchy group of people and we were unlucky enough to get stuck on there with them...we definitely felt threatened...
so i tend not to take the monorail at all anymore...

Thabks for all your advice. We've gone with the grand Floridian and can't wait! And no, we don't have kids. Just the two of us!

Evening all!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

GF all the way, stayed at both, love the resort feel of the GF. We have stayed in the GFV as well. The quick service dining has improved over the years at the GF and we love the range of table service restaurants. The spa is beautiful, my only wish, is that disney wouldn't charge guest staying at the GF to use the SpA facilities. The location is great and we feel totally immersed in the magic when we have stayed there. We have only stayed at the contemporary once, it was ok, we had a few issues with housekeeping and the general Maintenance of the room which have probably coloured my view, overall I didn't think it was special enough for the price.

Last edited:
if we're talking about the monorail, i'll be honest that i no longer like to ride the monorail at all...
it seems to break down a lot more these days..
and from what i recall, i think the hours are shorter than they used to be...
also, i've been on the monorail with a very sketchy group of people and we were unlucky enough to get stuck on there with them...we definitely felt threatened...
so i tend not to take the monorail at all anymore...

Yes - the monorail used to be better. And the resort monorail was MUCH better when they had you show your room key to get on it. I had real issues with the monorail and its staff on our December trip. Surly bunch of employees working a failing attraction.

That said - The Contemporary beats The GF because you never have to ride the monorail if you have a car, and you don't have to ride it much if you don't have a car.

Congrats on booking GF!!

We stayed there last November and loved it!, watching the fireworks from the boat dock with the two little ones was amazing!

However we now have a major problem and do not want to stay anywhere else. I have always wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge...now I'm even putting that on the back burner against GF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter