Contemporary Work Continues w/pics

Just got back from a 10 day stay. Got to see the EPCOT 25th ceremony before we headed out on our Magical Express. Some observations:

We did a "Keys to the Kingdom" tour, and at one point the guide we had was asked about the construction going on -- since the crains are very visible from the MK. "Oh," she said, "that's the new DVC resort. The DVC people have been really wanting a monorail resort, so that's what they're getting."
:yay:
I was kind of surprised that there wasn't any attempt at evasion or any sort of disclaimer that this was a rumor or whatnot. Just, "That's the new DVC resort." So take that for what it's worth!

We also went over to AKL to look around. We saw the new animal barns and some large mounds of dirt over in the direction of Kidani. Further away there were two -- or maybe it was three -- crains at work, but we couldn't get a view of exactly where they were at or what they were doing. However, the presence of a crain would imply that vertical construction is -- or is about to be -- underway. The fact that they were further away leads me to believe that they are working on the new lobby for Kidani, and some of the surrounding buildings, first. I suspect that the buildings closer to Jambo will be part of a later phase or phases. But there is certainly work being done.

Also, at EPCOT the old Wonders of Life pavilion was opened as the Food and Wine Festival welcome center. It was full of setups for wine tasting, and for merchandise. However, they also had a big DVC display for AKV -- most interesting were the pictures (not drawings, but photos) of the Jambo Grand Villas with the pool table. The CM there also had a photo on his ipod of the master bath at the Jambo Grand Villas -- wow! :thumbsup2 DW and I decided we may just have to come up with the points for a GV stay one of these times! :grouphug:

Had a chance to talk to our guide about the new construction in California -- basically he knows only what we know, but said he's hoping more details will be announced soon.

Lots of stuff under construction, with lots of refurbs. We did hear that Midway Mania in the Studios is tentatively scheduled to open in April of '08, and that the name change to Disney Hollywood Studios will not be a gradual changeover -- on New Year's Day of 2008 the name will change, cold turkey. :scared1:

Hmmm ... the building looks smaller than I expected. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo.

It just seems like a tremendous amount of effort to remove asbestos.

Blame the EPA. Those Washington pencil pushers get downright nasty if not all I's and T's are crossed.

We did hear that Midway Mania in the Studios is tentatively scheduled to open in April of '08, and that the name change to Disney Hollywood Studios will not be a gradual changeover -- on New Year's Day of 2008 the name will change, cold turkey. :scared1:

But the real question is how long before the DIS members adopt DHS as the new acronym for MGM?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter