• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Contract value?

I wouldn't say you got screwed either but do agree you could have got more bang for your buck. If you're happy with your upcoming purchase I wouldn't fret about it. As I mentioned above, my first purchase I neglected to realize the value of a loaded vs stripped contract and to this day I'm still happy with my contract. Of course hindsight being 20/20 I would've bought loaded but it is what it is, live and learn.
We were looking for a lower total cost so we could buy a few more points. So no maintenance fees (or points) until Feb. 2019 worked for us. As we have our next vacations planned out already. The sales agent told me that stripped contracts cost the same as loaded ones because you are not paying fees on those points. And I fell for it. I am happy with the contract as it is fair and I know we will not lose money on it if we were to sell. Lesson learned and we have more points than we were originally going to purchase and that makes me happy!

If it's been 10 days or less since you signed the contracts then you can rescind your offer. Not that I encourage you to, but it's an option.
At this point it's small potatoes. You've gone resale so you still saved a lot. Not everyone will get the best deal. Just thin of those that bought retail and didn't know about resale.

Yep, and spread out over 25-50 years anything she overpaid (if that's how she feels) is next to nothing. Just letting her know of this option in case she did not know.

Plus the time and stress it takes to stalk the boards waiting for a contract you want to put an offer on. To me it was a worth a few small potatoes as I did not need the extra points. But no one likes to feel like they got a bad deal. And if we purchase again I will certainly take the points into consideration. Thank you all so so so much for the feedback and support. We are very excited to own DVC and certainly could not have done it at retail price.

Plus the time and stress it takes to stalk the boards waiting for a contract you want to put an offer on. To me it was a worth a few small potatoes as I did not need the extra points. But no one likes to feel like they got a bad deal. And if we purchase again I will certainly take the points into consideration. Thank you all so so so much for the feedback and support. We are very excited to own DVC and certainly could not have done it at retail price.
IMO if one spends sufficient time to truly be educated, much of this stress dissipates. This takes roughly 6 months of active investigation.

IMO when I am spending thousands of dollars it is stressful. I have been investigating extensively for over 6 months as I have been renting points from a DVC owner for years. But I do not know exactly what all contracts are selling for, I do not know if I am going to be over bid or if Disney will exercise ROFR, etc, etc.

IMO when I am spending thousands of dollars it is stressful. I have been investigating extensively for over 6 months as I have been renting points from a DVC owner for years. But I do not know exactly what all contracts are selling for, I do not know if I am going to be over bid or if Disney will exercise ROFR, etc, etc.
Good luck.

So I can help with one aspect of your stress. ROFR is completely out of your control. While some believe that it is about price, banked points, UY, deed info, etc., nobody really knows. Or those that know aren't saying. :) It is completely beyond anything you have control over, so why worry about it? If you pass, great, if not, back to the drawing board. This is coming from someone who has had some juicy contracts taken from him. :)

But I do not know exactly what all contracts are selling for, I do not know if I am going to be over bid..

A great resource for this is the ROFR boards on here and other sites. In addition to showing whether contracts get taken or not, it really gives a clear picture of what people are actually paying for contracts vs the inflated listing prices on the resale broker sites.

thank you, I wish I had found this board at the beginning of my search instead of at the end...next time I will be smarter. Thank you!

thank you, I wish I had found this board at the beginning of my search instead of at the end...next time I will be smarter. Thank you!
Many of us (myself included) did not get a great deal on our first contract. It's how we got such good deals on the next ones. :)

Yep, you can add me to that list. Heck my first offer I didn't know any better and offered the listing price. I was so impressed when the broker responded within like 5 minutes saying it's yours.. Lol. Thankfully that seller ended up being flaky and after 2 weeks of not returning paperwork the broker suggested that I make an offer on something else.

So at that point I at least had enough sense to negotiate a better price pp and I got it.. At the expense of the contract being stripped. But as others have said at the end of day it's small potatoes and I have no regrets. I love being a DVC member and definitely did much better my second go around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter