conversion van and power chair OT

brady961

Pal Mickey pal
this isn't Disney related but I am excited. I should be recieving my new power chair a Quantum 600 with rehab seating by the end of the month.

Plus I have already picked out a conversion minivan with Braun conversion.

Since the power chair is red I picked a red minivan, thought they should match :goodvibes

having these two items is going to make things so much easier for me in working and getting personal things done.

also am getting a cooling vest which hope to have sometime in May. This too will make a huge difference in the summer as will help keep my core body temp more regulated. I have a extense problems with heat intolerance.

I don't go the the parks normally in June july or august as I can't handle being out in the heat. just going out the door in the summer the heat can send me for a loop. hoping with cooling vest i can get out more and enjoy summer time.

ok now i take you back to disney related topics. :banana:

Glad you're getting your freedom and independence in the form of a chair and van! My van is on it's last legs and we are doing fundraising for a new one. A reporter in my community wrote a story for us and so far we have raised about 9K. That sounds like alot of money but it still would leave me to finance 22K which is too much considering I'd have to insure a vehicle, after the VR adapatations, worth 100K. I wish there were funds to help those of us who want to be independent. It's so hard to afford these things that cost way more than what they would cost a person without a disability. Hope you have many happy moments at Disney!---Kathy

Good Luck.

Voc Rehab is assisting me because with the van I can continue my career and work. Without VR's assistance I don't know what I would do. I looked at buying a used one already converted but WOW!!!!

So I went to VR and to retain my employment they are assisting on the conversion part, I still have to buy the basic van which is up there in cost as well. But fortunately I am not financing a complete conversion minivan, just the basic van.

VR is also paying for my conversion. Because of the equipment I need, their portion is 85K. I still have to pay for the van...although this time I'm getting a Honda Element conversion which actually comes out less costly. I have to pay 5500 for the lowered floor ( VR only pays for the lowered floor on a Chrysler minivan or a lift on a large van) but the Element itself costs less than the Chrysler so it comes out a bit less. I'll never, ever get another Chrysler minivan. After taking mine to all scheduled maintenance, regular oil changes, etc. it is at 96K miles and has a leaking engine, just got a new radiator, windows don't work, no heat, and slipping transmission. I want something that will be a better quality and last longer, thus I'm going with Honda and Freedom Motors this time around. I'll also get alot better gas mileage. PM me if you want a link to a photo and info on the adapted Element. Without VR I'd be stuck at home. I work fulltime despite a pretty severe disability.---Kathy

We also recently were able to recieve a Chrysler lift van with the help of our state's rehab program. What a difference this has made for my DH (with MD) & for me!
We just receive final approval yesterday to have high-tech driving controls installed! This is definitely something we could have never considered doing on our own. The driving controls alone are going to cost $65,000!!!!! :eek: The van will go back to the shop sometime next week & it will propably take about 6 weeks for installation. (They are providing a rental lift van during the time.)

Kathy, That's so great that you are getting the Honda Element from Freedom Motors!! That is what we wanted, but because they did not have any reps in state, we couldn't get it approved. (The state refused to pay for anything on the Honda.) We thought the size of it would have been much easier to drive, not to mention Honda reliabilty & saving gas! I can't wait to hear about it!

We also recently were able to recieve a Chrysler lift van with the help of our state's rehab program. What a difference this has made for my DH (with MD) & for me!
We just receive final approval yesterday to have high-tech driving controls installed! This is definitely something we could have never considered doing on our own. The driving controls alone are going to cost $65,000!!!!! :eek: The van will go back to the shop sometime next week & it will propably take about 6 weeks for installation. (They are providing a rental lift van during the time.)

Kathy, That's so great that you are getting the Honda Element from Freedom Motors!! That is what we wanted, but because they did not have any reps in state, we couldn't get it approved. (The state refused to pay for anything on the Honda.) We thought the size of it would have been much easier to drive, not to mention Honda reliabilty & saving gas! I can't wait to hear about it!

Great to hear you are getting assistance as well.

VR will be sending me for a drivers eval regarding hand controls. Right now I can take my brace off my right leg and drive. however, that probably won't last much longer so hand controls will be required. VR though is going thru with van conversion now. Then drivers eval, and if they recommend hand controls, VR will go back and have that installed.

I am going in the morning to see the van. Should take about another week or two before I actually drive it home. They have to install the transfer seat and ezlock system.

good luck.

Great to hear you are getting assistance as well.

VR will be sending me for a drivers eval regarding hand controls. Right now I can take my brace off my right leg and drive. however, that probably won't last much longer so hand controls will be required. VR though is going thru with van conversion now. Then drivers eval, and if they recommend hand controls, VR will go back and have that installed.

I am going in the morning to see the van. Should take about another week or two before I actually drive it home. They have to install the transfer seat and ezlock system.

good luck.

That was the same procedure we had to go through. Evaluation for the lift van, waited for the van to come in, then had to drive 5 hours away for the driving eval. It's taken quite a bit of time, we received the van in early November & had the driving eval done right after. It's taken all this time since to get the final approval for the driving controls. A manual brake was recommended but when it came in, the fit into the van would have made for a dangerous situation. So the changes had to go back for approval. Can't gripe too much though, otherwise we would never have been able to afford any of this. We purchased the van ourselves & the state paid for the conversion at the cost of $25,000.

That was the same procedure we had to go through. Evaluation for the lift van, waited for the van to come in, then had to drive 5 hours away for the driving eval. It's taken quite a bit of time, we received the van in early November & had the driving eval done right after. It's taken all this time since to get the final approval for the driving controls. A manual brake was recommended but when it came in, the fit into the van would have made for a dangerous situation. So the changes had to go back for approval. Can't gripe too much though, otherwise we would never have been able to afford any of this. We purchased the van ourselves & the state paid for the conversion at the cost of $25,000.

about the same with me. I started this process in Nov 06 and although it's taken a while imo I feel blessed that VR is covering the conversion (about same price as yours) and I am financing the basic van. I had to be evaluated on what I needed for vehicle, and at home so I could continue working. That person took over a month to get his report to VR. Since VR has rec'd the report my counselor there has really been moving on things.

I have to sell my current car/SUV which if can't sell to an individual will have to use CarMax. Which I know will not give me what I owe. Then that means having to roll in the difference into the van finance grrrr. But sure is better than financing about a 60,000 conversion minivan myself.

VR is also going to put in a sidewalk, extend my landing at front door, and install a ramp to front door. Oh yeah and getting me a cooling vest since I have severe heat intolerance. They are working on that today with a local medical supply vendor to see if company where has the vest will sell it to them at a price that when local store does markup it will work and be covered. I haven't heard back so am thinking that is a good sign, since he said would contact me after talking to vest company if couldn't do it.

Even if can't with this one vest company there are others but in my research seems the vest I want will best meet my needs.

so I feel very blessed that VR is doing so much and I can continue my career.

Without VR good chance I would have to stop working, then of course my monthly income would drop drastically on long term disability, which then affects everything from getting devices needed to leisure activities including the cruises I have booked :goodvibes

Will be interesting to see what happens at the drivers eval for hand controls. They will train me to use them of course but still makes me nervous thinking of using hands and no foot on the gas/brake pedal.

Good luck, would love to hear the final results for you guys.

:confused3
about the same with me. I started this process in Nov 06 and although it's taken a while imo I feel blessed that VR is covering the conversion (about same price as yours) and I am financing the basic van. I had to be evaluated on what I needed for vehicle, and at home so I could continue working. That person took over a month to get his report to VR. Since VR has rec'd the report my counselor there has really been moving on things.

I have to sell my current car/SUV which if can't sell to an individual will have to use CarMax. Which I know will not give me what I owe. Then that means having to roll in the difference into the van finance grrrr. But sure is better than financing about a 60,000 conversion minivan myself.

VR is also going to put in a sidewalk, extend my landing at front door, and install a ramp to front door. Oh yeah and getting me a cooling vest since I have severe heat intolerance. They are working on that today with a local medical supply vendor to see if company where has the vest will sell it to them at a price that when local store does markup it will work and be covered. I haven't heard back so am thinking that is a good sign, since he said would contact me after talking to vest company if couldn't do it.

Even if can't with this one vest company there are others but in my research seems the vest I want will best meet my needs.

so I feel very blessed that VR is doing so much and I can continue my career.

Without VR good chance I would have to stop working, then of course my monthly income would drop drastically on long term disability, which then affects everything from getting devices needed to leisure activities including the cruises I have booked :goodvibes

Will be interesting to see what happens at the drivers eval for hand controls. They will train me to use them of course but still makes me nervous thinking of using hands and no foot on the gas/brake pedal.

Good luck, would love to hear the final results for you guys.

I'm glad to hear that this looks like it will be working out for you too!! I hope you have good luck selling your car & getting that new vest.

My DH is also pretty nervous about learning to drive with the new controls. He will have a joystick for steering!:eek: The installer tells us not to worry, he thinks he will not have any problems learning it.

The program here in LA is also to help disabled individuals to continue working! My DH has been lucky in that he has worked with some of same guys for over 25 years, so he gets a lot of help getting around at work, otherwise he would have had to go on disability years ago.

What a small world, we are also working on some home renovations! They sent out a Rehab Engineer who came up with a plan to totally redo our bathroom with a roll-in shower! Also will add a ramp & an Open Sesame door opener. They were even willing to put in an overhead lift system in our bedroom, but we've decided not to do that right away, if we get the bathroom fixed, moving around with the chair will be so much easier.

The only problem is that here in New Orleans, contractors are so busy, we have been unable to find one who wants to do the work! The state had 3 approved contractors they sent out, actually they only gave us one referral, we found the other 2 on our own, only to find out that they were on the state list!? Out of the 3, only one actually bid on the job & we've find out that this co. has changed names & gone bankrupt several times. One of the other contractors told us that the renovation was more than they wanted to take on right now, they just didn't need the work! The other came out said he was going to bid & now just doesn't return our calls!
We think we finally have found a guy that's good & wants the job. But he will have to go through approval by the state & who knows how long that will take.:confused3

But as you said, we're not complaining, we feel blessed to even have the possibilties of getting this equipment & having the house renovated!:goodvibes

I didn't have to do any of the work finding contractors or getting bids for anything. The Rehab engineer after his eval sent out 4 bids for conversion van (well actually he sent three but i already knew who I wanted to go with so I had them contact the engineer to put in the bid. and thankfully his was the lowest). For the home modifications he sent out three, got two back. I think it was two. anyway, the lower bids win. but like you who knows when the contractors will even get started.

I am manage sorta until they put in sidewalk, ramp, and extend door landing. Its not best, and not convenient but is workable. I have an 8ft portable suitcase ramp that I use to get my scooter in/out. but I have to open door all way, open up/unfold ramp, drive scooter down, walk back up the three steps, close/fold ramp back, close door. walk back down steps to scooter.

With the power chair I will at least be able to leave ramp open all the time. can come up ramp, unlock door, go back down ramp in chair pulling door open with rope. then turn chair around and go back up ramp pulling door closed. so although not easy and extra energy/effort i can do it until get the ramp.

i have to go thru yard to my door which means dirt/sand/soft ground. Thankfully the chair will go thru that but of course the sidewalk will be wonderful. cut down on bringing in mud, dirt, sand etc... into the apartment.

Once I get the sidewalk, ramp, extended landing to door then will be so easy. ride along sidewalk, up ramp, open door. WOO HOO.

Oh the other thing they are going to put different hinges on my doors inside like to bedroom and hall. So the door will open flush against wall giving me about three more inches thru doors with chair.

I rent so am lucky VR is willing to do so much to apartment since I could move at anytime. The ramp though will be a rollaramp so if i move it goes with me. The sidewalk, landing stays of course. So the landlord is actually pleased to be getting a free sidewalk <G>

I know all the parts are in for the chair (it has rehab seating, tilt/recline, power leg elevation, my joystick will be more like a goal post. not the one that like video games (only example i can think of). Just not the standard joystick. My hands/fingers will cramp quickly using a joystick that operate with two fingers/thumb. Now that parts are in they are putting it together this week. At least that is what they told me Monday when I called them.

Once it's together then they deliver it which could be next week.

Then van company comes gets the chair to install ezlock. then i go to van place for them to determine where to put base of ezlock in the van that allows me the easiest transfer to drivers seat.

Then I come home. Once they have all that done including transfer seat. they will drive the van and chair back to me at my home. Oh and somewhere in there VR/Rehab Eng has to check van out to make sure everything is as ordered, working, and ok.

I did find that i had to call the advocate in Feb as the Rehab eng wasn't responding to my calls or emails. And the VR counselor hadn't heard from him. Once I did that he finally got the report to VR. I was so mad though as he had told me during eval he would get the report done the next week and to VR (this was in Jan). And when the advocate contacted him and his supervisor, he finally emailed me asking me questions about what decided on, etc.... So it was clear he hadn't looked at my file since the day he was here. Even all the bids were obtained at the end of Feb after I called the advocate.

Same with the power chair. I have had to call almost weekly to see where they were in the process, the status etc.... Thankfully I was calling as found out they weren't doing anything, and it too was laying in stack. So I called weekly after that, kept asking questions of process. had them repeat to me every call process, status, etc... (the chair was ordered by my doctor in Nov 06).

so anyone out there trying to get a scooter/chair, van or anything you have to be your own best advocate. pester if have to. squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I truly believe if I hadn't stayed on top of everyone even though I am sure they saw me as a pest I wouldn't be rec'ing either for many more months. And I am sure the rehab engineer isn't happy with me at all, as his supervisor got involved, the head of VR for the state got involved.

My VR counselor has been wonderful, on the ball, quick, responses to all emails. It was the rehab eng being the issue. VR couldn't do anything without his report. Once VR rec'd report boy things have been moving quickly.

Wishing you guys continue progress thru this process. And best wishes to you and esp your husbands health.

I think I saw you mentioned he has MD. I have spinocerebellar ataxia which is a progressive degenerative neuro disease. Seems to me its a close to combination of MS and MD. For couple years they thought I had MS. Only June 06 they finally made dx of SCA.

But I am thankful I can still do much, work, visit Disney, go on cruises, and live independently. I feel blessed for what I have, am getting from VR and insurance (power chair). And that i have a great employer willing to work with me so i can continue working with them.

Wow, I can't tell you how similar the stuff we've dealt with has been to your's! Ditto, on the Rehab Engineer & the wheelchair rep.! They just don't return emails, phone calls, etc.

His state counselor has been pretty good but they are so overwhelmed with cases, she does her best though. We are worried that she may quit, as she pretty much lost it on the phone with my DH yesterday. Nothing directed at him, but at how they have increased her case load etc., & other work issues. We are really hoping she doesn't quit. The van people, the rehab engineer & guy who did the driving accessment said that she is one of the few good rehab counselors.

I am happily surprised to hear that they will be able to assist you on a rental property! It sure sounds like what you have now, is not working very well for you!

Our next issue is processing his WC thru the state, our insurance has denied it, as get this... a LUXURY item! I know it's crazy! It's a luxury item because the seat goes up & down. That's it! So they denied the whole thing, not just the cost of the seat. So now we'll have to see if the state will pay for it, if not MDA has helped with his scooters in the past, so that will be a last ditch effort to not shell out $6000. for his Invacare Pronto that we recieved last August I think.

I have to say I am totally unfamiliar with spinocerebellar ataxia. Although I am all to familiar with MD & MS, my BIL has MS. My DH has limb girdle MD which as it says affects arms, legs & the girdle or trunk of the body. In most cases it doesn't affect organs but that is not a guarantee. Thank God, so far he has not had any other issues other than the physical weakness.

We have also been blessed that we are still able to visit WDW. We have not tried cruising, since our last debacle with Carnival Cruise line. (After much research, phone calls, etc. we still ended up in a cabin that had a 12 inch rise into the bathroom with a ramp that started right next to the closet. Totally unusable ramp. I had to try lifting him in to the teeny br only to have him fall & have to call for assistance that took a half hour to come. So we haven't tried that again. I would love to hear how Disney Cruise line is set up. Are the cabins truly accessible?

Cruise with Disney for sure. I have only gone once this past Jan. But am going in June, Sept, Mar 08 and Sept 08. Just have to call DCL to make the reservation and tell them you require a HC room. WOW these rooms are wonderful. large enough to move around in a scooter or power chair. roll/walk in showers. our room was huge and fantastic.

Once you make ressie thru DCL you print off a medical form from their website. Telling them why need HC room, meds, etc... and fax to them.

It says doctors signature but they tell me I don't need that. So I print, complete it, fax it. Then the special guest services dept will contact you prior to cruise to anskwer questions, make sure your needs can be met, etc..

DCL goes over and beyond imo to meet needs of those with disabilities.

Of course they can't do everything for everyone.

yeah I had a few minor problems because only a few doors to decks are accessible. and i was in a travel power chair which isn't meant to go over any lip/threshold.

I couldn't do excursions as most require walking and of course those countries/islands don't have ADA and aren't accessible.

It's no big deal for me that I can't do excursions. I enjoy the activities on the ship while at port. Where they have to tender you can get off ship if can use manual wheelchair, walk up/down some steps (mind you these steps are moving since tender is tied up nex to ship LOL).

I did go into Cozumel and their shopping area at the port.

Key west did trolley tour as they have a lift. just had to make sure that was set up beforehand.

Grand Cayman tenders so I couldn't go.

I am going to try snorkeling on disney's island castaway cay in june. at least try, if can't get to the water then oh well i tried.

CC does have sand wheelchairs. but boy i can't imagine pushing one with someone sitting in it LOL. I pushed one using it like a walker in Jan. and it was difficult to push thru sand. but I did manage to get in the ocean which was my goal.

in June my goal is trying getting thru beach to water, and out to where can snorkel. i am taking a swim aqua belt that will offer me some floatation assistance if i get tired.

So go for it, go Disney !!!!!!!!!

check my signature for when i am going. would be great if you guys to join me on one of those cruises.

I am so hooked and addicted now to Disney cruise, i need a program to help me <G>

Brady, you really are hooked on Disney Cruising! That's a lot of trips you have planned!

I think I will go check it out. My DH has said that maybe we should try a split WDW/cruise vacation. It sure sounds like your sold on it!

I was hoping that Disney had worked out something for getting WC onto tenders. But I guess that just pie in sky ideas on my part. I thought I read a while back about one cruise line that has some sort of lift, I was hoping it would be Disney. Maybe I was just dreaming, I'll have to go do some searching.

Was there any parts of the ship that was not accessible? Or did you just have to hunt to find the door?

Brady, you really are hooked on Disney Cruising! That's a lot of trips you have planned!

I think I will go check it out. My DH has said that maybe we should try a split WDW/cruise vacation. It sure sounds like your sold on it!

I was hoping that Disney had worked out something for getting WC onto tenders. But I guess that just pie in sky ideas on my part. I thought I read a while back about one cruise line that has some sort of lift, I was hoping it would be Disney. Maybe I was just dreaming, I'll have to go do some searching.

Was there any parts of the ship that was not accessible? Or did you just have to hunt to find the door?

I am definitely hooked on Disney cruises. Its really the only vacations I will be taking for this year and next.

There are signs directing you to a HC accessible door, bathroom, etc... I will say on the Magic the accessible doors for me were still difficult due to the type chair i was using. I saw others with scooters and larger power chairs not having the type problems I had. (My travel chair isn't made to go over thresholds, etc...) There were few accessible doors like with push button auto doors and sorta a ramp.

No problems using the elevator for me. I was able to get in/out deck 9 although little difficult as i would need someone to hold/open door in Topsiders. The HC door went into Topsides then would go out their door to main part of hall where elevators are. But there alwasy someone available to assist.

I went out on deck 4 once but got stuck getting back in again because type chair i was using couldn't go over threshold/lip. I didn't to up to deck 10.

But really I went everywhere I wanted.

Regarding tenders, if you use a manual wheelchair that folds then they allow you to tender. But you must be able to walk up/down few steps/stairs.

Since I could tender using my travel chair. I did ask guest services if anyway they would assist me to at least get on the tender, ride over to Grand cayman, not get off but just ride back. I know sounds silly but they worked this out for me to do. So I can say I have been to grand cayman just didn't touch their land LOL. They were great in assisting and doing all they could do for me to have that opportunity. I joked saying Been there done that but didn't get the tshirt. Later I had a note on the door and one of the crew/cast members that rode the tender back with me (Erica) had left me a nice surprise. A note saying since I couldn't get the tshirt she thought I should have something from the island. She had gotten me a flipflop with sand in it keychain. I had disney chararcter key chains hanging all over my chair. I thought it was so nice and what a surprise. Her wanting to get me something although I couldn't actually visit the island.

There were many ppl on the cruise using three/four wheeled scooters, power chairs, manual chairs, and me with travel power chair. I feel DCL does and did a great job to assure all enjoyed their cruise and to meet their needs if at all possible.

really go for it. make a land/sea reservation. maybe try a 3 or 4 night cruise and few days at WDW first to see if enjoy the cruise. Then next time do a 7 night cruise. My first cruise in Jan was 7 nights and I LOVED it all.

This June cruise was an impulsive decision as I going nuts having to wait for Sept to come to cruise again :goodvibes

Maybe one day you and I will be cruising at the same time and can meet. Or if visiting WDW i live about 30 mins away and would love to come down to meet even if just to say hi.

so let me know when you are doing on a DCL cruise :thumbsup2

We've also cruised alot with DCL and now my service dog goes with me. Since I am "solo" alot ( kids are older and off on their own) she helps me with the w/c pushplates so I'm not dependent on asking others for help and also helps me pick up everything I drop in the stateroom, alerts for my ventilator, etc. It can be tough to get around the ship but once you realize which doors are accessible and which aren't, then it's alot easier. All the public areas are accessible- it's just the foreign ports that obviously don't have the ADA to protect us. This makes me all the more thankful for what we have here.
As for the van, to Shovan, it IS hard to learn to drive with a joystick. I had to be trained by a vendor in Texas ( called Driving Ambition) for around 2 weeks solid, every day training before VR would even install the computer box. I drive with two fingers and never touch the steering wheel or obviously the foot pedals. The hard thing is backing up because you have to put the van in reverse and then push the joystick forward which is the opposite of how you drive your chair. They put a "slot" over the joystick that my hand slips in for better control. The computer box and touchpad are what cost the most, plus there's the EZ Lock and the lowered floor part that all of us need.
I really liked the Element. I have photos I can send anyone if you want to PM me and then I'll send them thru email. There's also a photo of me in the adapted Element on the "Honda Element Owners Club" website under the general discussion board, thread titled "Woo Hoo, my wheelchair fits!" or you could do a search on that site. Also Freedom Motors has nice photos of the interiors and exteriors of the adapted Element on their website. I really like the way the ramp works. If it ever failed, it would be really easy for someone just to flip it up manually. Because of all my equipment though I'll not have a passenger seat. I can't use the driver's side ramp because so much is mounted on the door ( the touchpad and jelly buttons I hit with my elbow to operate the turn signals, etc. ). Thus the computer box that drives the Element and the joystick mount would be in the way of the passenger seat. That's okay as my service dog can then have a bit more space. I guess we can all chime in about how wonderful VR is. They also installed a ramp for me into my house, widened some doorways and put in an automatic door opener for my front door...all so I could maintain employment. They also bought my first power chair, which was the Permobil with tilt, recline, elevating seat. I had to get a new one last year..same thing only an updated model that my insurance paid for 100% so now I have coverage for things that I need. I know VR has spent alot to help me but figuring I'd cost taxpayers over 50K a YEAR if I were in a facility then everyone got a bargain and I got my independence. :-) ---Kathy

We've also cruised alot with DCL and now my service dog goes with me. Since I am "solo" alot ( kids are older and off on their own) she helps me with the w/c pushplates so I'm not dependent on asking others for help and also helps me pick up everything I drop in the stateroom, alerts for my ventilator, etc. It can be tough to get around the ship but once you realize which doors are accessible and which aren't, then it's alot easier. All the public areas are accessible- it's just the foreign ports that obviously don't have the ADA to protect us. This makes me all the more thankful for what we have here.
As for the van, to Shovan, it IS hard to learn to drive with a joystick. I had to be trained by a vendor in Texas ( called Driving Ambition) for around 2 weeks solid, every day training before VR would even install the computer box. I drive with two fingers and never touch the steering wheel or obviously the foot pedals. The hard thing is backing up because you have to put the van in reverse and then push the joystick forward which is the opposite of how you drive your chair. They put a "slot" over the joystick that my hand slips in for better control. The computer box and touchpad are what cost the most, plus there's the EZ Lock and the lowered floor part that all of us need.
I really liked the Element. I have photos I can send anyone if you want to PM me and then I'll send them thru email. There's also a photo of me in the adapted Element on the "Honda Element Owners Club" website under the general discussion board, thread titled "Woo Hoo, my wheelchair fits!" or you could do a search on that site. Also Freedom Motors has nice photos of the interiors and exteriors of the adapted Element on their website. I really like the way the ramp works. If it ever failed, it would be really easy for someone just to flip it up manually. Because of all my equipment though I'll not have a passenger seat. I can't use the driver's side ramp because so much is mounted on the door ( the touchpad and jelly buttons I hit with my elbow to operate the turn signals, etc. ). Thus the computer box that drives the Element and the joystick mount would be in the way of the passenger seat. That's okay as my service dog can then have a bit more space. I guess we can all chime in about how wonderful VR is. They also installed a ramp for me into my house, widened some doorways and put in an automatic door opener for my front door...all so I could maintain employment. They also bought my first power chair, which was the Permobil with tilt, recline, elevating seat. I had to get a new one last year..same thing only an updated model that my insurance paid for 100% so now I have coverage for things that I need. I know VR has spent alot to help me but figuring I'd cost taxpayers over 50K a YEAR if I were in a facility then everyone got a bargain and I got my independence. :-) ---Kathy

Hi Kathy, Good to hear things are going well for you! We seriously investigated getting the Element. LA Rehab Serv. didn't want to work with an out of state company. Also the guys my DH spoke with at Freedom Motors, could give him no informations on the type of driving controls he needed & who could install them. Who will be doing the driving control installations on yours? Freedom or a company in FL?

Anyway, our new van will be going in Monday morning for the driving installations!:eek: :scared1: That's how DH & myself feel about it!;) pretty nervous as to how hard it will be for him to learn to drive. And how much it will inhibit my being able to drive the van. He will be getting the joystick & the touchpad, sounds very similar to yours.
He will be driving to work again & around town, but on long trips it would be nice to be able to share the driving duties. Don't know if that will be workable or not? Also, not looking forward to having the van ramp blocked by dummies, when he's out alone! Right now if we are out & the ramp ends up blocked I can just get in & move it into the street for him to load up. How do manage when someone does that & you can't get into your vehicle? That must be a real day buster! Kathy we'd love to see your pics & pm you! Again, glad things are going well. And it sure sounds like we are going to have to look into Disny cruising real soon!

I am definitely hooked on Disney cruises. Its really the only vacations I will be taking for this year and next.

There are signs directing you to a HC accessible door, bathroom, etc... I will say on the Magic the accessible doors for me were still difficult due to the type chair i was using. I saw others with scooters and larger power chairs not having the type problems I had. (My travel chair isn't made to go over thresholds, etc...) There were few accessible doors like with push button auto doors and sorta a ramp.

No problems using the elevator for me. I was able to get in/out deck 9 although little difficult as i would need someone to hold/open door in Topsiders. The HC door went into Topsides then would go out their door to main part of hall where elevators are. But there alwasy someone available to assist.

I went out on deck 4 once but got stuck getting back in again because type chair i was using couldn't go over threshold/lip. I didn't to up to deck 10.

But really I went everywhere I wanted.

Regarding tenders, if you use a manual wheelchair that folds then they allow you to tender. But you must be able to walk up/down few steps/stairs.

Since I could tender using my travel chair. I did ask guest services if anyway they would assist me to at least get on the tender, ride over to Grand cayman, not get off but just ride back. I know sounds silly but they worked this out for me to do. So I can say I have been to grand cayman just didn't touch their land LOL. They were great in assisting and doing all they could do for me to have that opportunity. I joked saying Been there done that but didn't get the tshirt. Later I had a note on the door and one of the crew/cast members that rode the tender back with me (Erica) had left me a nice surprise. A note saying since I couldn't get the tshirt she thought I should have something from the island. She had gotten me a flipflop with sand in it keychain. I had disney chararcter key chains hanging all over my chair. I thought it was so nice and what a surprise. Her wanting to get me something although I couldn't actually visit the island.

There were many ppl on the cruise using three/four wheeled scooters, power chairs, manual chairs, and me with travel power chair. I feel DCL does and did a great job to assure all enjoyed their cruise and to meet their needs if at all possible.

really go for it. make a land/sea reservation. maybe try a 3 or 4 night cruise and few days at WDW first to see if enjoy the cruise. Then next time do a 7 night cruise. My first cruise in Jan was 7 nights and I LOVED it all.

This June cruise was an impulsive decision as I going nuts having to wait for Sept to come to cruise again :goodvibes

Maybe one day you and I will be cruising at the same time and can meet. Or if visiting WDW i live about 30 mins away and would love to come down to meet even if just to say hi.

so let me know when you are doing on a DCL cruise :thumbsup2

Thanks Brady! It sure does sound good. It seems like any problems you encountered were mostly due to the travel chair. That is so neat though that they assisted you to get on the tender in Grand Cayman! But leaving my DH on the ship, while I go off for fun, didn't make either one of us very happy on the Carnival Cruise we took about 7 years ago. So we will have to look into which cruise we took, we'd like one with the least amount of tender ports. You live 30 minutes from WDW!!!! Wow that is so cool!

regarding ppl blocking door/ramp side of van. This is what I plan to do (ok maybe will be rude, inconsiderate, etc...) if the HC spots available don't allow using a ramp (which many HC spots don't have room to lower a ramp and get chair out), I am going to park in regular parking taking up two spaces.

Ya know the number and type of HC parking spaces in any parking lot is based on a percentage of the total parking spaces in that lot. The number of HC which leaves the room for a side entry ramp is also based on percentage of how many HC spots are required.

I realize many HC parking permits are for ppl that don't need side space for a ramp. Like me now, I use a SUV, my scooter lift is on the back. Or if using travel chair again its in the back. So I don't need the HC spot with side room for ramp. I try very hard not to use those spots but the HC spots that aren't van accessible. Unfort sometimes that isn't possible and feel so guilty using the van accessible spot. Thinking what if someone comes and needs a spot for their ramp and I am parking there. I don't need that type spot with SUV. I will need the van accessible spots after getting van.

Many of our stores parking lots now have HC that are vertical parking (sorta paralell) which are great for ppl needing space for ramp. I get aggravated when i see a car parked in those and esp then see the person getting out not even using a manual wheelchair, or any mobility device. (I am not saying the person isn't HC or needs HC parking).

I try to be considerate when using HC parking. If I am in a travel chair or scooter, I try not parking in the first HC spot but a few back, and one that doesn't have the space between spots that a ramp could be used.

Now if I am walkng then I do try to get the HC as close as possible to door but again like the one next to curb (first spot) where a van with ramp couldn't use anyway.

Anyway, I have decided that if there isn't a HC spot available that will allow the ramp to lower and me exit/enter then I go park further out in lot, using two spots (And I don't mean spots close to door of store but further out). Since will be using power chair not far out in lot won't make much difference, so I feel then taking two spots to assure I don't get blocked to ramp is about all I can do. As I won't have anyone that can back van out to access ramp.

Just hope there is no law that will ticket using two spots. But even if there is I believe I could fight it on basis that there was no HC van accessible spot that would allow the ramp, or spot that someone would block me from using the ramp.

good luck to all

Freedom Motors is doing the conversion on the Element in Michigan and then it will be shipped to a vendor in Florida that will install all the controls. In Florida, I had to pass the driving test with the joystick before that system was approved. They had put this expensive system in for a young woman who then could not learn to drive with it, thus then they had to pay another 1K to take it out...so no longer in Florida can anyone get the joystick unless they take the driver's ed and then an extensive driving test using it before installation. I also found out that they rarely approve this system now because the company that makes them has had to drastically increase their insurance due to many folks having wrecks while driving with them, thus increasing their liability. If I hadn't already proven I could drive with a joystick then it was extremely doubtful that I'd have gotten approval to have the system installed in another vehicle. Whew! I guess I was in the right place at the right time. VR's only concern for me was if my chair would fit in the Element. I have a ventilator and feeding pump on the back which takes up some extra space but now have a new vent that sits almost flush against the back. When the rep was out here I had him take photos and sent them to my VR counselor who then said I was approved! If someone had a family though the Element might be tight if they need the computer/joystick controls since there will be no passenger seat.
As for parking, I've called the police before. Once at Disney several security guards put my van in neutral and backed it up for me so I could get in the ramp. I also park sideways so that no one can park in the hatch-mark area. I usually get blocked in at WalMart so I know I need to park sideways there. ---Kathy

dclfun i see you are local too. i am using a conversion van company in tampa. i had asked my rehab engineer about the element but he said my chair wouldn't fit and wouldn't work for me. oh well. just thought would be something smaller drive. but now that i have seen the new braun van, drove it around, i am so excited. now to just get it <G>

i do have that concern of being blocked getting to ramp door yet i have plans on creative parking too LOL.

have a good day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter