conversion van and power chair OT

Well, we took our van in yesterday for them to start installation of the driving controls. DH & I are really stressed out about it, both of us had a pretty bad day yesterday. We know we should feel happy & excited, but we're just so worried about how it will all work. We finally got the van with the lift, which we just love & have found it makes our lives so much easier. Just concerned that the controls will be difficult for him to learn. We're also worried that I will no longer just be able to get in & drive it. They told us the controls can be turned off & the seat put back in, but of course that will take time, advance planning, etc..
We were lucky to be able to get a rental lift van, but it reeks of smoke. I have asthma so that's really annoying with a van we will probably have for 2 months.

Sorry I'm venting! There just isn't anyone to talk to about this stuff.

It's really easy to turn off the controls and snap the driver's seat back in. The only thing you'll have to learn, which is really easy, is how to start the van with the touchpad vs. keys and how to use all the controls on the touchpad. It's driving with the joystick that is the challenge. As for the Element, I have the longest chair possible,..a Permobil C500. It has a ventilator on the back, battery tray, and feeding pump and often I'm in a tilt position. Heck, if I could fit in an Element, probably anyone can! The concern of my VR counselor and rehab engineer was that my chair wouldn't fit either. That's when I called Freedom Motors and they sent a rep with the adapted "E". I had him take photos of me inside the Element and forwarded them on to my VR counselor. Once she saw the photos, then it was approved. The rep even told me that he's going to start taking photos on his camera phone because 99.9% of the time, the "fit" is the concern.
I had my first controls put in my van by AAbility in Tampa and have no idea who will do these since it has to go out for bid. At least several conversions have been done under VR on the Element in Florida which I'm sure helped me out that I'm not the guinea pig. I just have to wait awhile longer to try and raise some more funds so that my "note" is affordable each month. Once the controls are put in, I have to pay insurance costs on a vehicle worth over 100K so that also factors into my budget ( which is strained right now due to my youngest son in renal failure and waiting for a transplant). Cheers to all of us having our independence!---Kathy

dclfun i see you are local too. i am using a conversion van company in tampa. i had asked my rehab engineer about the element but he said my chair wouldn't fit and wouldn't work for me. oh well. just thought would be something smaller drive. but now that i have seen the new braun van, drove it around, i am so excited. now to just get it <G>

i do have that concern of being blocked getting to ramp door yet i have plans on creative parking too LOL.

have a good day

Brady, I have to say we love our new Chrysler Braun Van. DH had really wanted the Element also, wanting a smaller vehicle. The driving eval. guy here, wouldn't even consider it. And then Freedom Motors couldn't give us any names for companies who could install the driving controls in it, so we just gave up on it. But we do really like the van, now just to get it back!;)

It's really easy to turn off the controls and snap the driver's seat back in. The only thing you'll have to learn, which is really easy, is how to start the van with the touchpad vs. keys and how to use all the controls on the touchpad. It's driving with the joystick that is the challenge. As for the Element, I have the longest chair possible,..a Permobil C500. It has a ventilator on the back, battery tray, and feeding pump and often I'm in a tilt position. Heck, if I could fit in an Element, probably anyone can! The concern of my VR counselor and rehab engineer was that my chair wouldn't fit either. That's when I called Freedom Motors and they sent a rep with the adapted "E". I had him take photos of me inside the Element and forwarded them on to my VR counselor. Once she saw the photos, then it was approved. The rep even told me that he's going to start taking photos on his camera phone because 99.9% of the time, the "fit" is the concern.
I had my first controls put in my van by AAbility in Tampa and have no idea who will do these since it has to go out for bid. At least several conversions have been done under VR on the Element in Florida which I'm sure helped me out that I'm not the guinea pig. I just have to wait awhile longer to try and raise some more funds so that my "note" is affordable each month. Once the controls are put in, I have to pay insurance costs on a vehicle worth over 100K so that also factors into my budget ( which is strained right now due to my youngest son in renal failure and waiting for a transplant). Cheers to all of us having our independence!---Kathy

Glad to hear that turning off the controls & moving the seat isn't a big deal. If Freedom could have given us any info on having the driving controls put in the Element, we definitely would have pushed a lot harder to get the Element. My DH had been checking them out for a while & really did want it pretty bad. I'm shocked that the driving evaluator for our state was so uniformed concerning the Element. You would have thought that DH was asking for the moon when he asked about the Element!

I hear you on the insurance! We upped our policy when we got the new van with the lift. We will have to raise it again when it comes back with the added $65,000 driving equipment! You know what's funny, is that when DH called our insurance agent, he at first said we didn't need to raise it at all. My DH had to explain to the agent that without the added coverage we'd be in a real mess if the van was totaled!:confused3

I am so sorry to hear about your DS! He is waiting for a transplant? That sounds really tough. I hope everything goes well with that.:hug:
Take care, Sheryl

Again, I was fortunate in that the rep here from Freedom Motors had names of rehab engineers in Florida who had done the conversions on the Element as well as names of two vendors locally who could put in the EMC system. If not for that I'd probably still be fighting too.
I just didn't have good luck with my Chrysler and I did everything possible to maintain it. Everything started "leaking" at once...engine, transmission, radiator. Then the heat went out this winter, now the windows don't roll down. It's at just under 100K miles. I've had the brakes fixed twice ( a few months ago had to have the front calipers rebuilt and some other work but finally the brake light is off!) and can't tell you how many times I've had to get new tires. The "camber" was off on my van which made the tires wear out faster. This of course was not covered by any warranty since my van had been adapted by Braun and Braun would take no responsibility so I had to have a camber kit installed at great cost w/in the first two years of purchase. At least the tires began to last longer than 10K miles. There is a vehicle for everyone though. If you are transporting more than two people on a regular basis, you are better with a minivan vs. the Element. I've been told that Chryslers are now made better than when I got mine ( 2001 but it's a 2000 model).
I can imagine what a conversion place must go through to get approval from the manufacturer to do a conversion on a new vehicle type...the testing, the liability concerns, etc. and then to market that new vehicle. Remember when all you ever saw was the big high-top vans and the side lifts? Apparently a veteran going through VA is limited to that now vs. even being able to get a minivan. I'll bet we all see more options in the future as the disability community grows ( unfortunately) and we have a bigger voice.
Oh, and yes, my son David was diagnosed with end-stage renal failure in December, right before Christmas. We didn't even know he was sick. He is not yet on the transplant list- apparently that is a long process- but goes to dialysis three days a week and feels horrible all the time. I'm supporting him right now. Since he's 20 there is no help for him with insurance coverage since he's no longer a "child" and thus we're getting behind financially. It's the worst time to need a new vehicle. I have alot of friends in my community and at my workplace who are helping me raise funds for the purchase. I've never had to ask for help in my life so this has been really hard but I have received such love and caring that it's overwhelming.---Kathy

have your son apply for social security disability. even if he hasn't worked much he could still qualify for SSI which comes with medicaid. SSDI have to wait two years before getting medicare.

never understood that one, a person goes on disability under SSDI (because they have worked and put into SS) but have to wait two years to receive medicare. therefore leaving most (as most won't qualify for medicaid as SSDI check is too high) two years without insurance yet they are disabled. which means needing medical care. so for two years no insurance if on SSDI. but if on SSI then get medicaid. SSDI makes no sense to make a disabled person wait two years before can receive medicare/insurance.

. I've been told that Chryslers are now made better than when I got mine ( 2001 but it's a 2000 model).
Oh, and yes, my son David was diagnosed with end-stage renal failure in December, right before Christmas. We didn't even know he was sick. He is not yet on the transplant list- apparently that is a long process- but goes to dialysis three days a week and feels horrible all the time. I'm supporting him right now. Since he's 20 there is no help for him with insurance coverage since he's no longer a "child" and thus we're getting behind financially. It's the worst time to need a new vehicle. I have alot of friends in my community and at my workplace who are helping me raise funds for the purchase. I've never had to ask for help in my life so this has been really hard but I have received such love and caring that it's overwhelming.---Kathy

Kathy, I know I've told you this before, but you amaze me! With everything you are dealing with, your attitude just astounds me. You are one very impressive lady!:thumbsup2

Your van is only a 2000:eek: ! I really thought it was older than that. I will be sure to tell my DH of all of the problems you've had, so he can be on the lookout for them. The Chrysler Van we traded in was a 95 & we had very few problems, so it doesn't look like newer is better.:confused3

have your son apply for social security disability. even if he hasn't worked much he could still qualify for SSI which comes with medicaid. SSDI have to wait two years before getting medicare.

never understood that one, a person goes on disability under SSDI (because they have worked and put into SS) but have to wait two years to receive medicare. therefore leaving most (as most won't qualify for medicaid as SSDI check is too high) two years without insurance yet they are disabled. which means needing medical care. so for two years no insurance if on SSDI. but if on SSI then get medicaid. SSDI makes no sense to make a disabled person wait two years before can receive medicare/insurance.

Brady, Since my DH is still working full time we have not had to deal with any of this yet. We have heard some horror stories about people waiting for the SSDI to be approved and have heard that some people wait as long as 2 years for medicaid to kick in. But am I understanding you correctly? It's based on the SSDI amount you receive? :confused3 So, if you've worked a long time & make decent money, then you will have to wait longer to qualify for medicaid?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter