Coral Reef 10/14/06

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
I made Saturday dinner ADRs around 2 months ago. Previously, we had only eaten here once for lunch, approx 5 years ago. The memory was favorable. But we just never returned. :confused3
2 adults and I used our DDE membership card.

The ADR was for just before 5 p.m. and we arrived almost a half hour earlier than that.
After check in we sat and waited. There were quite a few others waiting. And others seemed to be in fairly large groups -- 6 - 8.

We waited maybe 10 minutes, and were seated at a table for two near the aquarium. We were not right next to it. But a table over from another table for two that was. So we were pleasantly surprised the view was good. And I prefer at a busy time not to be right next to the aquarium. Anyone who has been there probably knows why. ;) :crowded: :rotfl2:

We started with just two unsweet ice teas.

Nothing on the menu really just struck either of us as mouth watering. After reading the menu I think we even debated about eating there. (Previewed the posted menu on the outside of the building.) I think we were expecting a little more offerings.

I opted for two appetizers as my meal. DH started with an appetizer too.

me: Mixed Greens with Key Lime herb vinaigrette dressing. $5.99 (I wish I had seen mushroom soup on the menu. I LOVE good mushroom soup. But that was not an offering. So don't plan 100% by what is on allearsnet.)
DH: Crab Claws with a small amount of a slaw dressing. ($9.99. I also do not see that on the allearsnet menu.)
He was served three good size crab claws with a little bit of slaw in the middle. He said it all was very good.
My salad was good and plentiful. There were some greens that were bitter. But overall good and fresh. I ordered this salad because I wanted to try the Key Lime dressing, which is their house dressing.

As my main course I ordered Seafood Souffle, $9.49. (Also not on the allears menu. I would have opted for crab cakes if that was on the menu. But alas, like the mushroom soup, it was not offered. dang)
The only souffle I have eaten was years ago, and a dessert. I chose this as I wanted something different. :)
It was good. The portion looked small, but actually was plenty. It was a small, round portion maybe 1.5" high. There was a sauce of some type over it. The main taste was crab. But not all crab I could tell. Kind of like a crab cake with other seafood and not a crusty outside. The crab cake I would prefer.
The taste reminded me of the Crab Alfredo I order at Red Lobster (with no bed of pasta). But this had no other servings with it. Not even greens for presentation. (Personally I think I prefer the RL Crab Alfredo. :confused3 )
The souffle was good. But I don't know I would order it again, unless I did as an appetizer to share.

DH ate the Grilled Mahi Mahi served over Israeli Couscous and Tatsoi with Honey-Soy Glaze. $25.99.
He said it was very good. As far as Mahi Mahi, he said it was the best quality of mahi meat he had even eaten. He liked his dish. But said he liked the taste of the Mahi at Kona Cafe better. (I think Kona Cafe is DH's second favorite WDW restaurant.)

We ended the meal by sharing The Chocolate Wave - Warm Dark Chocolate Cake with a White Chocolate Grand Marnier center with Chocolate Ganache and White Chocolate Ice Cream $7.99.
It was very good. I think DH liked the ice cream the best. And that consisted of a little butter scoop. So maybe five Tablespoons. :confused3
I liked the cake. But it very similar to the dessert we ate not long ago at LTT for lunch. And theirs was better.

We enjoyed theview. It was very relaxing, even though the restaurant was busy and noisy.
I am sure we will some day return. But can't say we are in a hurry too. For the $ I think there are other places I rather eat.
After the discount and before the tip, our bill came to $54.38.
Usually we do not eat appetizers and desserts. So this was a little higher than normal for us.
The portions we thought to be smaller than many WDW restaurants. But we were comfortably full when we left and did not feel over stuffed.
Lots of guests ordered light up beverages (children and adults)

Our server was very good and friendly -- Dave. :wave2:

I will add the few steaks we saw being delivered to other tables looked mouth watering. :bitelip: I think we may have gone that route had we seen those first!

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the review. We are eating at Coral Reef in December, I hope we enjoy it.

Thanks very much for the review. I really enjoyed reading it. We're going in Januaray and I've made reservations there. Will have my 16 year old son along and really want him to enjoy himself. Again, thanks for the tip on the steaks.

Myrtle :cool1:

Luv2Roam said:
But this had no other servings with it. Not even greens for presentation.

Oh my, it's the new version of Kevin's 'sad little crab cake'!
[SIZE=-2](read his review of Coral Reef on this site if you don't know the reference.)[/SIZE]

We ate at CR about a week ago and did order the steaks and they were the best ones we had all of our trip, including Le Cellier! And cooked perfectly..
We will return here on future visits..
And I sooo agree with being away from the front row tank tables. We had a booth on the first tier and saw so many people bringing their children up to the tank, standing right next to and sometimes in front of people eating at the tank side tables, we thought very rude. One man brought his baby up to the tank and sat at an empty table for nearly 20 minutes, the server was getting soo irritated. I am sure the people waiting for that table were not happy either.
If we are ever offered a table at the tank we will ask for something else after seeing all of this..

Bev

I have probably watched too many Iron Chef America because I did notice the plating was very lackluster at CR. :lmao:
The seafood souffle was not a bad size portion. But it was served in a large white bowl that I imagine would be for soup. The souffle just kind got lost in that large bowl and nothing else to fill the space or dress it up. :rotfl2:
I did read the other sad crab cake review just now. Thanks! :wave2:
Can't say that DH's slaw serving (with the crab claws) was a mound. How about a tiny hump? (A few small bites at best.) :lmao:
The portions were adequate. But smaller than we usually see at WDW restaurants.
But better to have good quality in smaller portions (IMO) than lackluster and a lot of it.
I was surprised to see a barely larger than a melon ball size for a scoop of ice cream. I did not know a scoop of ice cream could be that small. That did look pretty cheap.
Maybe they had a stingy chef that night. :rotfl:

We ate there a couple of weeks and were right by the tank and obviously lucked out as we really had no problems with people interrupting us eating, and had several divers come and pose for pictures, and blew kisses at DD9 which she loved. The meal was hit and miss. I really hated my souffle - not souffley at all, more like a timbale, quite dense. DH had shrimp cocktail which was good and DS had ceasar salad which was also good. My tuna was fabulous, the best of the trip. DH had the mahi mahi which was horrible, overcooked and the couscous undercooked. DS had the prime rib - fabulous. DD had a kids pizza, hated it, had no sauce just some chopped tomatoes and cheese. The desserts were fabulous. Service was not good - waited forever for entrees then dessert was delivered and left on the table half way through our entrees. We ordered the glowing ice cubes and were charged $5 each which was outrageous - we ordered them in a different colour at Sci Fi and they were only $2 there. We would definitely sit by the tank again, that was the highlight.

Thanks for the review, we're planning to try Coral Reef in January. :fish:

We ate there in July. Steaks were far better than Le Cellier. Our family's favorite resturant by far! :thumbsup2

Bev J said:
We ate at CR about a week ago and did order the steaks and they were the best ones we had all of our trip, including Le Cellier! And cooked perfectly..
We will return here on future visits..
And I sooo agree with being away from the front row tank tables. We had a booth on the first tier and saw so many people bringing their children up to the tank, standing right next to and sometimes in front of people eating at the tank side tables, we thought very rude. One man brought his baby up to the tank and sat at an empty table for nearly 20 minutes, the server was getting soo irritated. I am sure the people waiting for that table were not happy either.
If we are ever offered a table at the tank we will ask for something else after seeing all of this..

Bev

Did they have filet mignon or just New York Strips?
What about Tuna steak?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter