Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Has anyone worked out how much it is costing per cancelled sailing? How much will they lose when the Hawaii, EBTA and Med get cancelled?
If someone has time to do this, I expect it would be a very high number. We already know the initial booking prices for all state room categories based on opening day, all you need to do is figure out the number of staterooms per category and average passenger load per sailing to guestimate a dollar figure.

If someone has time to do this, I expect it would be a very high number. We already know the initial booking prices for all state room categories based on opening day, all you need to do is figure out the number of staterooms per category and average passenger load per sailing to guestimate a dollar figure.
It would be very interesting. Has to be hundreds of millions. Fully believe the slow cancellations are to get people to take 100% credit instead of 125% credit or a refund. It's a game of chicken as others have said.

Now that NCL and MSC have made their announcements as well, Disney is the only line that claims they’ll be sailing during 4/29-5/10. Hard to imagine that happens. Not sure why they wouldn’t just go ahead and match what literally every other major line has done

Fully believe the slow cancellations are to get people to take 100% credit instead of 125% credit or a refund. It's a game of chicken as others have said.
Agreed. We took the credit and rescheduled our 5/15 cruise to November. But that was before we found out all discretionary out of state travel was prohibited indefinitely for my husband and myself due to our jobs. I’m dreading having to get on the phone with DCL again if they prohibit our travel again the fall...or if they just don’t lift the discretionary travel ban. At this point, I fully regret moving our cruise because I doubt they’ll offer us our money back now that we’ve moved it. And I doubt they’ll understand if we can’t go due to work issued travel bans if this comes up in the fall.

Last edited:
It would be very interesting. Has to be hundreds of millions. Fully believe the slow cancellations are to get people to take 100% credit instead of 125% credit or a refund. It's a game of chicken as others have said.
Well, the revenue will definitely be lost when a cruise is cancelled but there are expenses that will not be there as well. For example, fuel, food, laundry supplies, entertainment costs, cast member salaries (if they sent them home), port employees, etc. Its not a complete break even but it’s not a total loss either

Agreed. We took the credit and rescheduled our 5/14 cruise to November. But that was before we found out all discretionary out of state travel was prohibited indefinitely for my husband and myself due to our jobs. I’m dreading having to get on the phone with DCL again if they prohibit our travel again the fall...or if they just don’t lift the discretionary travel ban. At this point, I fully regret moving our cruise because I doubt they’ll offer us our money back now that we’ve moved it. And I doubt they’ll understand if we can’t go due to work issued travel bans if this comes up in the fall.
You have until the normal PIF date of that cruise to get your money back. So if you were purchasing for the first time and your PIF was July, then you have until July to cancel for a refund.

You have until the normal PIF date of that cruise to get your money back. So if you were purchasing for the first time and your PIF was July, then you have until July to cancel for a refund.
I thought this credit was non-refundable? Wouldn’t we still be out what we had already paid in full for May? Or would I be able to get it back?

I thought this credit was non-refundable? Wouldn’t we still be out what we had already paid in full for May? Or would I be able to get it back?
What I was told before I used my credit to rebook was that the new cruise rules now apply. My new PIF is Nov, so I have until Oct to change my mind. That was straight from the CM.

What I was told before I used my credit to rebook was that the new cruise rules now apply. My new PIF is Nov, so I have until Oct to change my mind. That was straight from the CM.
Interesting! I was told it was non-refundable and the only other option would be to move it to another cruise sailing before 5/15/21. I hope I don’t have to find out; I’m hoping this will all be under control by November :)

Well, the revenue will definitely be lost when a cruise is cancelled but there are expenses that will not be there as well. For example, fuel, food, laundry supplies, entertainment costs, cast member salaries (if they sent them home), port employees, etc. Its not a complete break even but it’s not a total loss either

No. It's a total loss. They aren't spending as much as they would, but they are bringing in absolutely no money. They still have to keep the boats going. They are using fuel. They do have staff on the ships they are paying. There are still staff that can't be sent home. This is an absolute hell storm for a cruise line.

I am getting really frustrated.
I'm on the Canada sailings that WILL be cancelled as the Port of Vancouver is CLOSED for our saildate. Yet Disney still hasn't cancelled our cruise. We are in a holding pattern of "decisions will be made." Its been two weeks, I don't understand why they won't cancel us!

Are you cruising in June? We are and I just wish they’d do something. Everyone else has an option but we can’t even move ours.

DCL also has yet to acknowledge the closure of The Atlantis and the impact on all the Bahamas cruises. I can still book Port Adventures at The Atlantis for May 12 when the hotel is closed until at least May 15.
Candidly, it's because they are definitely cancelling that cruise. Why bother change the port adventure options when the cruise will never sail?

Interesting! I was told it was non-refundable and the only other option would be to move it to another cruise sailing before 5/15/21. I hope I don’t have to find out; I’m hoping this will all be under control by November :)
Maybe I misunderstood your situation? We had a cruise cancelled. Disney moved funds to credits automatically and then we chose to assign those credits instead of refund, but I was told that I could refund the credits (up to what I paid, not the extra) up until the PIF of the new sailing.

Was your sailing cancelled or did you move your sailing before it was cancelled?

Maybe I misunderstood your situation? We had a cruise cancelled. Disney moved funds to credits automatically and then we chose to assign those credits instead of refund, but I was told that I could refund the credits (up to what I paid, not the extra) up until the PIF of the new sailing.

Was your sailing cancelled or did you move your sailing before it was cancelled?
I cancelled (and rebooked for November) when they made the offer of 100% for rebooking because I didn’t see how it would be possible for us to fly down and cruise (and I wasn’t comfortable with going with the way things were already heading when they made the offer). As far as I know, they still have not cancelled our originally booked May cruise. But we live in the northeast and we would have to cancel and rebook anyway, since both of our jobs currently prohibit all discretionary travel outside of the state as of two weeks ago until further notice.

Maybe I will look into travel insurance that will cover job related issues for November. The more I read right now about how things are unfolding, the more I worry about us not being allowed to go in November either :sad1:

I cancelled (and rebooked for November) when they made the offer of 100% for rebooking because I didn’t see how it would be possible for us to fly down and cruise (and I wasn’t comfortable with going with the way things were already heading when they made the offer). As far as I know, they still have not cancelled our originally booked May cruise. But we live in the northeast and we would have to cancel and rebook anyway, since both of our jobs currently prohibit all discretionary travel outside of the state as of two weeks ago until further notice.

Maybe I will look into travel insurance that will cover job related issues for November. The more I read right now about how things are unfolding, the more I worry about us not being allowed to go in November either :sad1:
Ah. Your circumstance may be different than mine. Still it might be worth asking about if you're sure. Also, hopefully you can find suitable travel insurance. :)

Also, hopefully you can find suitable travel insurance. :)
This could be difficult but it will all work out one way or the other. In the long run, it’s just money and I would rather lose the money than risk my job or my kids’ health.

It will all work out in the end...I think :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter