• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I have a plane to catch to San Diego in a couple weeks. Went to Walmart yesterday and I bought a 5 pack of the industrial mask. Not supposed to be at all effective, but I got some and will probably wear one, my husband said no. But I will say, they were low in stock of them.

From the Q&A of WHO
Should I wear a mask to protect myself?

Wearing a medical mask can help limit the spread of some respiratory disease. However, using a mask alone is not guaranteed to stop infections and should be combined with other prevention measures including hand and respiratory hygiene and avoiding close contact – at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and other people.
WHO advises on rational use of medical masks thus avoiding unnecessary wastage of precious resources and potential misuse of masks (see Advice on the use of masks). This means using masks only if you have respiratory symptoms (coughing or sneezing), have suspected 2019-nCoV infection with mild symptoms or are caring for someone with suspected 2019-nCoV infection. A suspected 2019-nCoV infection is linked to travel in an area in China where 2019-nCoV has been reported, or close contact with someone who has traveled from China and has respiratory symptoms.

The url in the link doesn't work, but it should go to this page:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...9/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masksThere are some videos on how to wear the mask to make it as effective as possible.

I wear a mask on every airline flight. Never get sick pre or post travel. It can only help, not hurt.

You just started doing that recently or you've done this for a long time?

A few years ago I got horribly sick from a woman on an airplane that was sitting beside me that was coughing non stop... I was knocked out for a good couple of weeks. with the flu, cough.. I was miserable.
Since then I fly with one of those gaiters motorcycle riders use and I cover my mouth and nose with them when I hear ppl coughing nearby.
I haven't got sick since, a good 3-4 years... I do get the odd looks from ppl but idc.

Good For you DisneYE People should NOT be travelling who are that sick anyway but because they do we all suffer the consequences and have to be proactive. I'm going to look up the motorcycle mask you mention Sounds like a winner to me I would not care either what other ppl think. Stay well!

You just started doing that recently or you've done this for a long time?

A few years ago I got horribly sick from a woman on an airplane that was sitting beside me that was coughing non stop... I was knocked out for a good couple of weeks. with the flu, cough.. I was miserable.
Since then I fly with one of those gaiters motorcycle riders use and I cover my mouth and nose with them when I hear ppl coughing nearby.
I haven't got sick since, a good 3-4 years... I do get the odd looks from ppl but idc.
I have been doing this since 2009. After I got sick after a flight, I wear one religously. I dont eat or drink on our flight.

I just read again what I had been told for years in the medical profession which I hope is accurate. The N95 masks if placed on the face securely will screen 95% of germs and influenza This particular virus who knows or sure? There is not a lot out there to read yet on what has been working and what has not. The CDC recommended use of N95 masks 5 days ago with suspected Corona Virus. The surgical masks you see on people in articles are to prevent droplets from infecting others. There is still much to learn...…………………...

Masks are more effective if the person who's sick wears one. Not so much the other way. Buying a non-medical mask is just ridiculous. Washing your hands Hawkeye Pierce style is the answer. Secondarily not poking your fingers into your eyes, mouth, or snout. (Harder than it sounds.) Did I mention washing your hands? No, not hand sanitizer, washing your hands. Did I mention washing your hands?

But the reality is that in America you are 14,000 times more likely to die of flu than Corona. And you would never have even thought about it.

Having worked as a Registered Respiratory therapist for 22 years I can tell you that the N95 masks work!! It is the best you can wear to prevent particle sizes as small as .3 microns. That is small and should prevent the Coronavirus particles from passing through the masks. Washing hands alone is not going to stop the spread of this virus.

Having worked as a Registered Respiratory therapist for 22 years I can tell you that the N95 masks work!! It is the best you can wear to prevent particle sizes as small as .3 microns. That is small and should prevent the Coronavirus particles from passing through the masks. Washing hands alone is not going to stop the spread of this virus.
I work in healthcare and I can’t even imagine wearing an n95 mask for the duration of a flight without taking it off. They make me feel so claustrophobic. Not to mention if you don’t know what your doing and don’t take it off properly, your just moving everything on the outside of the mask to your skin.

all of the mask wearing outside of a healthcare setting just feels like show. If you don’t know what your doing to wear it properly, move it to itch your nose or something etc, it’s not going to do anything.

Ok, let's play a not so fun game. So... Let's pretend you're on a Disney Cruise, and it's discovered that someone has coronavirus aboard the ship. One case becomes three or five or seven over the course of the week, and now they've decided to quarantine the entire ship for two additional weeks, or more. What are the next steps, and who pays for it? Because in their contract, it would appear (as it reads now), that the guest pays, not Disney. (And that could get more than a little pricey I'd think... It's food for thought.) Anyone have the same or different interpretation? Or another thought of what may happen in this case? :

TERMS & CONDITIONS

RIGHT TO CHANGE ITINERARY/DETENTION

Disney Cruise Line may in its sole discretion and without prior notice change, substitute, postpone, cancel or deviate from any scheduled sailing, itinerary or call at any port, and may substitute another vessel for the ship, and shall not be liable for any loss or damage incurred by a Guest as a result of any such change, substitution, postponement, cancellation or deviation. The Guest shall pay any and all expenses incurred if a Guest is detained on board ship or elsewhere at any stage of a voyage because of quarantine, port regulations, prevailing applicable law, illness or other cause.

CRUISE CONTRACT:

# 25. The Carrier and Master each reserves the right, without liability whatsoever, to refuse passage, disembark, quarantine, deny service of alcohol to, restrain or confine to a stateroom or any other area any Guest who physical, mental condition, or behavior, or the physical or mental condition or behavior of any person in the care of the Guest, is considered in the sole opinion of the Master and/ or the ship's physician to constitute a risk to the Guest's own well-being or that of any other rGuest, crewmember, or person, or to the safety of the Vessel. Carrier may refuse to transport or may disembark at any port any Guest with a criminal background or any Guest who may be suffering from contagious or infectious disease, ill health, or who presence in the opinion of the Master may be detrimental to the comfort or safety of any other Guest, crewmember or person, or who, in the Master's opinion, might be excluded from landing at destination by Immigration or other Governmental Authorities. If any Guest is detained on board or elsewhere at any state or at destination because of quarantine, port regulations, prevailing applicable law, illness or other cause, all expenses incurred in connection with such detention shall be for Guest's account. Any Guest carried beyond destination for any reason without fault of the Carrier shall pay for any additional maintenance or extra transportation. In any and all cases described in this clause, the Guest shall not be entitled to any refund of fare, credit or compensation whatsoever.

Ok, let's play a not so fun game. So... Let's pretend you're on a Disney Cruise, and it's discovered that someone has coronavirus aboard the ship. One case becomes three or five or seven over the course of the week, and now they've decided to quarantine the entire ship for two additional weeks, or more. What are the next steps, and who pays for it? Because in their contract, it would appear (as it reads now), that the guest pays, not Disney. (And that could get more than a little pricey I'd think... It's food for thought.) Anyone have the same or different interpretation? Or another thought of what may happen in this case? :

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Disney Cruise Line may in its sole discretion and without prior notice change, substitute, postpone, cancel or deviate from any scheduled sailing, itinerary or call at any port, and may substitute another vessel for the ship, and shall not be liable for any loss or damage incurred by a Guest as a result of any such change, substitution, postponement, cancellation or deviation. The Guest shall pay any and all expenses incurred if a Guest is detained on board ship or elsewhere at any stage of a voyage because of quarantine, port regulations, prevailing applicable law, illness or other cause.

CRUISE CONTRACT:

# 25. The Carrier and Master each reserves the right, without liability whatsoever, to refuse passage, disembark, quarantine, deny service of alcohol to, restrain or confine to a stateroom or any other area any Guest who physical, mental condition, or behavior, or the physical or mental condition or behavior of any person in the care of the Guest, is considered in the sole opinion of the Master and/ or the ship's physician to constitute a risk to the Guest's own well-being or that of any other rGuest, crewmember, or person, or to the safety of the Vessel. Carrier may refuse to transport or may disembark at any port any Guest with a criminal background or any Guest who may be suffering from contagious or infectious disease, ill health, or who presence in the opinion of the Master may be detrimental to the comfort or safety of any other Guest, crewmember or person, or who, in the Master's opinion, might be excluded from landing at destination by Immigration or other Governmental Authorities. If any Guest is detained on board or elsewhere at any state or at destination because of quarantine, port regulations, prevailing applicable law, illness or other cause, all expenses incurred in connection with such detention shall be for Guest's account. Any Guest carried beyond destination for any reason without fault of the Carrier shall pay for any additional maintenance or extra transportation. In any and all cases described in this clause, the Guest shall not be entitled to any refund of fare, credit or compensation whatsoever.
This is terrible. Even if your insurance policy would have covered that initially, now insurance polices are not covering anything related to coronavirus...

TERMS & CONDITIONS

CRUISE CONTRACT:

This is terrible. Even if your insurance policy would have covered that initially, now insurance polices are not covering anything related to coronavirus...

This is new territory, this is not the same as individual quarantines that happen from time to time. Princess and HAL have similar things in their contracts. But now the costs for on board etc. were covered by the cruiseline and everyone got their fare refunded plus discounts for future cruises.

It is most likely that in the unlikely event a DCL ship would be quarantined they will follow the same procedure. Because people who weren't sick, got quarantined. People got sick on board of the Diamond Princess. No cruiseline would want to risk the backlash of having those people pay.

This is an unusual situation, there is no reason to think they will follow usual procedures.

I work in healthcare and I can’t even imagine wearing an n95 mask for the duration of a flight without taking it off. They make me feel so claustrophobic. Not to mention if you don’t know what your doing and don’t take it off properly, your just moving everything on the outside of the mask to your skin.

all of the mask wearing outside of a healthcare setting just feels like show. If you don’t know what your doing to wear it properly, move it to itch your nose or something etc, it’s not going to do anything.
So we will just agree to disagree. If you dont believe in the mask, then dont wear one. Your choice. But your not of the authority to say they dont work. What exactly did you do in healthcare? I stand by my statement.

TERMS & CONDITIONS

CRUISE CONTRACT:

Thanks for posting! I think Disney will have to address this.

I'm on a southwest flight right this second out of PVD... only one young woman wearing a mask.

I did buy chlorox wipes and wiped down the hard surfaces.

No one around me is acting sick - projectile coughing and the like. Going on the fantasy Saturday... Hoping to stay healthy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter