Coronavirus discounts on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know some people whose school district just canceled several Disney trips for this week that involved hundreds of students and since it was booked through a travel company, they're still waiting to find out if they are going to be 100% reimbursed. Ridiculous really. Those kids fundraised and parents took vacation days, and the school district got paranoid and canceled at the last minute.

We are already booked for June and unless Disney itself shuts down, we are going.

That's terrible! At this point, COVID19 doesn't seem to be in the Orlando area. Depending on where they are, the chances of getting the virus at Disney is about the same as in the local supermarket.

DH’s work hasn’t cancelled domestic travel yet, but they do have two week quarantine periods for people returning from abroad. Also, if I get quarantined from exposure during the course of my work, he won’t be able to travel, either., which is not good for business.

I think part of the reason the trip was canceled in our case is that some of the other participants are based abroad, including Asia. Since they couldn’t just tell some winners not to go, they canceled for everyone.
Makes sense
DH's travel is all local, within 500 miles (the service area) and with only local people. So that may be why they aren't cancelling things yet.

That's terrible! At this point, COVID19 doesn't seem to be in the Orlando area. Depending on where they are, the chances of getting the virus at Disney is about the same as in the local supermarket.
To be honest, it’s probably everywhere. Some people don’t have symptoms though, or very mild symptoms that unless there is a cluster in the area or have been to one of the travel areas, they wouldn’t even test

We know some people whose school district just canceled several Disney trips for this week that involved hundreds of students and since it was booked through a travel company, they're still waiting to find out if they are going to be 100% reimbursed. Ridiculous really. Those kids fundraised and parents took vacation days, and the school district got paranoid and canceled at the last minute.

We are already booked for June and unless Disney itself shuts down, we are going.
It’s a tricky situation. With some parents you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Lots of liability at play with students. I can see school boards erring on the side of caution.

It’s a tricky situation. With some parents you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Lots of liability at play with students. I can see school boards erring on the side of caution.

I guess I just think this is way beyond caution. Canceling is absolutely paranoid, so many people are paranoid. Even people who say they aren't paranoid but claim they're just buying a few extra things "just in case" Kroger and Costco are both limiting how many items people can purchase because people are going nuts stockpiling toilet paper.

So in that sense, I do see how with some parents you can't win either way. Plenty of parents living in complete paranoia too.

We live in different times and you can't argue the point people sue at a drop of a hat. School districts have to be very cautious with kids. I don't blame the school districts. Let's hope money gets refunded.

We live in different times and you can't argue the point people sue at a drop of a hat. School districts have to be very cautious with kids. I don't blame the school districts. Let's hope money gets refunded.
Yes, this. You also cannot tell those students with asthma, that are immune-comprised etc that they cannot go and take the rest. No choice really.

Yeah I can see if some of the big dance/cheerleading comps get cancelled disney closing all star sports down. Move remaining guest to the other 2 all stars and switch the builders from music to sports. Then they could get into the reno with out worrying about guest
Our Dance studio is staying at CBR, so the groups dont just use Sports, as far as we know our trip is still on. Wonder what will pan out!??

What did the upgrade offer end up being?
I called and the offer was to upgrade to CSR only. I'm currently at AS Movies. Unfortunately the offer wasn't available for my dates so I couldn't find out what kind of savings it would be. The CM told me he hasn't seen a unique offer code in months.

Disney is much more likely to have guests from around the country, and even the world, then your local supermarket.
I never assume people I encounter anywhere in public live in a bubble. A lot of people, regardless of where they live, travel the world, especially this time of year.

I called and the offer was to upgrade to CSR only. I'm currently at AS Movies. Unfortunately the offer wasn't available for my dates so I couldn't find out what kind of savings it would be. The CM told me he hasn't seen a unique offer code in months.

Was it a complimentary upgrade or would you have to pay more?

Currently booked at Sports for May and hoping to stay elsewhere if budget allows or an upgrade opportunity came along.

Was it a complimentary upgrade or would you have to pay more?

Currently booked at Sports for May and hoping to stay elsewhere if budget allows or an upgrade opportunity came along.
I would have to pay to upgrade but unfortunately since it wasn't available for my dates I wasn't able to find out what the price difference would be. I'm happy staying at AS Movies, I called just out of curiosity.

I agree who knows how many people have had it and thought it was the regular flu but didn’t get tested.
It actually presents more like a cold than the flu, more upper respiratory less aches, but usually with a fever (but not always). I have a friend who works at CDC who said most people probably won’t even go to the doctor simply because they’re like “it’s just a cold”, and some may even brush it off as allergies as areas in the southern US start warming up. Who knows how many have it or have had it and didn’t/don’t know.

I've been checking every weekend of March since January....flights & hotels sucked, until this week haha. Might be a coincidence, might not. This is a tad late to see discounts - usually I have better luck 6 weeks out, not 3. Flights were $200 even on Spirit and then last week I found penny fares to Orlando, so Disney here I come!

We made our trip out to San Diego/Mexico last week. But everything was prepaid and I knew I wanted to go. So we did go. Now if it had been a cruise, might be a different story.

It actually presents more like a cold than the flu, more upper respiratory less aches, but usually with a fever (but not always). I have a friend who works at CDC who said most people probably won’t even go to the doctor simply because they’re like “it’s just a cold”, and some may even brush it off as allergies as areas in the southern US start warming up. Who knows how many have it or have had it and didn’t/don’t know.

I no longer go to the doctor with flu like symptoms. Copay went up to $50 this year and labs go towards the deductible. It ends up being $100 to be told I have a virus and need fluids and rest. Waste of time and money.

I have no idea how everyone is finding cheap flights! They're normal fo rme.
Guess it depends on where and when.
We've had fares for 2 trips with Southwest drop by a total of $250
One to MCO and the other to SNA
Both trips are under 800 miles each way

Our other trip for May with Delta has not changed, it's cross country

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter