Cost of ABD vs on your own

To the OP- We just got back from Emerald Isle. and I was mulling over whther to do Londos/Paris on our own next year, or go with ABD. I started to price ut the hotels that Disney uses for comparison purposes, and then guesstimate food and transportation costs. Wow are the hotels expensive, particularly with the exchange rate! So my guesstimate is the cost is about the same for us. Given that ABD makes the whole trip so smooth , and I do believe you see and do more with them, the cost on our own woud have to be significantly less in order to have any advantage over ABD.

You might try a search on this board re Tauck. I have seen threads on this in tth past. Also, Globus now does family tours, but looking at their accomadations ABD stays in nicer hotels.

As long as you aren't transferring (selling from one DVC owner to another - which I think you can only do once/year) and are just booking a vacation and then putting it into someone else's name, you don't have to do it all at once. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can do it as many times as you like. You can rent your 08 and 09 points now which would give you enough for the ABD deposit and some savings. Then you could borrow from 2010 in a year to pay off some more. Think that would work.

Someone on another thread said that the early booking discounts go fast. Anyone know about that?

Jodie

From what I remember last year it seems the discounts were gone really quickly on the more popular trips. It seems like within a couple of weeks of the release of pricing info. You could look back at posts from August/September last year but it seemed very soon that people had already been told the early booking discounts were gone, even though they were within the early booking window. If they only allow a certain percentage for each trip to be early booking (which is what I think someone explained) then with a total group size of around 40 you can see how they might go quickly.

What it boiled down to for us was: On any other trip we've ever taken, no matter how much fun we had, no matter how carefully we planned, tnere has always been some point at which, however briefly, we've gotten snippy with each other. This has either been from
*being hungry and trying to find a good place to eat while being unsure of the area
*worrying if the choices in hotel or transportaion we made from an online review were going to turn out to be the right choice after all
*being so busy trying to navigate/keep safe/drive car that we were unable to attend to a child's needs before she hit the wall
*spending a week with essentially only ourselves to talk to

None of this happened on our ABD because they handled everything. There were always snacks ready before we got grouchy. We were always able to keep dd on track, we had no choices to make, and we had plenty of interesting folks to talk with.

You can't put a price on complete relaxation.

Ditto for me, except it wasn't ABD, but another tour company. All things being equal, it all depends upon which has a higher value to you -- having someone take care of 'stuff' for you/relaxation or saving money.

Now my BIL and his wife always do it on their own to save money. And they do in one sense, but it's really comparing apples to oranges bec they don't have the same experience we do. They tend to spend a lot of time and effort into using public transportation and finding cheap restaurants, while meanwhile we've gone to two historic attractions/mini-tours and so on. The truth is, we have gone to the same place with them at the same time and they never see or do as much as we do. I would rather spend money and see this site to which I might never return as much as possible rather than save money but lose a once in a lifetime experience.

Ditto for me, except it wasn't ABD, but another tour company. All things being equal, it all depends upon which has a higher value to you -- having someone take care of 'stuff' for you/relaxation or saving money.

Now my BIL and his wife always do it on their own to save money. And they do in one sense, but it's really comparing apples to oranges bec they don't have the same experience we do. They tend to spend a lot of time and effort into using public transportation and finding cheap restaurants, while meanwhile we've gone to two historic attractions/mini-tours and so on. The truth is, we have gone to the same place with them at the same time and they never see or do as much as we do. I would rather spend money and see this site to which I might never return as much as possible rather than save money but lose a once in a lifetime experience.
Amen! I used to be all about the cost, & doing things as cheaply as possible, and I still have a hard time getting out of that mode when I make my own arrangements. For some reason, it's a lot easier to spend the money when it's all included in one lump sum, and the decisions are already made.

Sayhello

OK, but just playing devil's advocate here - and I'm not knocking anyone's preference - but if it takes longer to do things on your own (and I can see why it would), can't you just stay a few more days and still spend less money? And can't you tailor it to your own tastes more than a pre-planned tour? I guess it comes down to a matter of preference and of course money. I loved the independent travel time we spent in Barcelona pre Med cruise. Getting around was easy (even though my Spanish is not good). I'm sure we didn't see as much as we could have on a tour, but we did things when we wanted to and at our own pace. It was lots of fun. I think ideally it would be fun to do some of both. I could definitely be convinced to do one of these ABD trips though. I think the group experience would be the attraction for me.

Jodie

Maybe it also depends upon how well the group itinerary matches what you would have done anyhow.

For me, Rome, Tuscany, Venice....all places I wanted to see.

In Rome, the Colliseum, Trevi Fountain, Vatican/Sistine Chapel, Forum, Pantheon, all places I would HAVE to go. If I can do it all in 1 1/2 days and NOT spend time waiting in line, that's worth extra $$$. Now, if I hadn't wanted to see most of those places it would have been better to do something different. In addition to that some of the places we found on our own were neat. I do think our exploring was more relaxing knowing we had covered the "required" things.

I also think something should be said about the unique experiences Disney provides. Almost everyone in our group felt that the pasta making and Venetian Mask making were much more fun than we could have imagined, and would be unique and memorable moments for our families. Everyone's Venetian masks came out surprisingly well! I'm thinking that probably holds true for some of the other itineraries as well.

I also think something should be said about the unique experiences Disney provides. Almost everyone in our group felt that the pasta making and Venetian Mask making were much more fun than we could have imagined, and would be unique and memorable moments for our families. Everyone's Venetian masks came out surprisingly well! I'm thinking that probably holds true for some of the other itineraries as well.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I think I would enjoy a tour more (any tour really) if there is enough down time for exploring. When we did the Med cruise last summer, we only had one day in Rome of course, so we decided to do the 11 hour Rome excursion. The bus ride to Rome was 1.5 hours which cut down on our actual tour time. We visited the Vatican, St. Peters, walked by the Forum on the way to the Coliseum, and then the Trevi Fountain. It felt way too rushed, but hey, we only had 1 day. The tour group stopped for a loooong lunch (and the food wasn't that great). If it were me, I would have grabbed a sandwich and done some shopping or sat at a cafe with a glass of wine or something to people watch. Seeing Rome was great, but the whole WAY of doing it wasn't for me. I kept wanting to leave the group and just walk around. Obviously, when you're on a cruise ship, thats how it has to be I guess. Lesson learned - although I LOVE the Disney cruise, I doubt that I would visit Europe that way again. Anyway, thats the extent of my "tour" experience.

Were there lots of kids on your Italy trip?

Jodie

That sounds like a lot of fun. I think I would enjoy a tour more (any tour really) if there is enough down time for exploring. When we did the Med cruise last summer, we only had one day in Rome of course, so we decided to do the 11 hour Rome excursion. The bus ride to Rome was 1.5 hours which cut down on our actual tour time. We visited the Vatican, St. Peters, walked by the Forum on the way to the Coliseum, and then the Trevi Fountain. It felt way too rushed, but hey, we only had 1 day. The tour group stopped for a loooong lunch (and the food wasn't that great). If it were me, I would have grabbed a sandwich and done some shopping or sat at a cafe with a glass of wine or something to people watch. Seeing Rome was great, but the whole WAY of doing it wasn't for me. I kept wanting to leave the group and just walk around. Obviously, when you're on a cruise ship, thats how it has to be I guess. Lesson learned - although I LOVE the Disney cruise, I doubt that I would visit Europe that way again. Anyway, thats the extent of my "tour" experience.

Were there lots of kids on your Italy trip?

Jodie

We had kids of all different ages, from about five years old to college. About half the group was kids, if you count the older ones. We probably had 13 or 14 out of 42 people in the under 12 age group. The kids tended to stay with their families much of the time, just because when you're walking around with the tour group that's what you do, and even when there is on your own time families tended to go their own way. Still, there were some events where the kids were given play time and our youngest enjoyed those. Also, times like at the pool in Tuscany or in the yard during the barbeque, they would get together and do "kid stuff." I posted before that Mamadis brought some of those neon glow stick things....enough for everyone. They ALL (even my teens) were running around in the yard playing with them and having a great time.

And you know what, Pillow? If I had that day in Rome I would have felt like I missed a lot as well. We toured everything but the Vatican one day, but then had the evening to wander around and eat on our own, which was nice. The second day we toured the Vatican until just before noon, but after that we were free until dinner time. We had bus passes provided by ABD, so we could ride home, we could walk home, we could take the bus a ways, get off and then get back on...whatever we wanted for seven hours. Because our boys tend to get a little fed up with museums we headed for an area with a marketplace, sat outside and ate pizza and watched the locals come shop and barter. Then we fed them gelato (which made us all happy). After dinner that evening, the boys stayed in the room (benefit to having teens) and DH and I went out by the hotel to a little sidewalk cafe, had a glass of wine and just watched people go by. Same thing in Venice...our arrival day was booked but we had the evening free, but the second day, after our mask making which was over by noon, we were free to wonder the streets, shop, enjoy ourselves until our farewell dinner. It wouldn't have been the same without that free time, but we did have some!

I understand why excursions have to be the way they are, you are trying to see so much in such a short time....next day, different city. ABD's pace is a bit more relaxed than that. For me, free time wasn't the issue so much as losing the ability to do things like negotiating a better hotel room (I could have sicked the guide on it, but I felt they had worked so hard I decided not to make it an issue....now if it had been ME.........). The other thing that was starting to get to me after a week was the waiting around. We waited in the morning until all were ready, we waited at restrooms for everyone to get through, we waited at meeting places while touring for everyone to show...etc. All of it was necessary, and thank goodness we had our free time to break it up, but by the end of the week I was happy to not have that be part of my day. Still, looking back, that was a minor inconvenience that only got annoying toward the end.

We had kids of all different ages, from about five years old to college. About half the group was kids, if you count the older ones. We probably had 13 or 14 out of 42 people in the under 12 age group. The kids tended to stay with their families much of the time, just because when you're walking around with the tour group that's what you do, and even when there is on your own time families tended to go their own way. Still, there were some events where the kids were given play time and our youngest enjoyed those. Also, times like at the pool in Tuscany or in the yard during the barbeque, they would get together and do "kid stuff." I posted before that Mamadis brought some of those neon glow stick things....enough for everyone. They ALL (even my teens) were running around in the yard playing with them and having a great time.

And you know what, Pillow? If I had that day in Rome I would have felt like I missed a lot as well. We toured everything but the Vatican one day, but then had the evening to wander around and eat on our own, which was nice. The second day we toured the Vatican until just before noon, but after that we were free until dinner time. We had bus passes provided by ABD, so we could ride home, we could walk home, we could take the bus a ways, get off and then get back on...whatever we wanted for seven hours. Because our boys tend to get a little fed up with museums we headed for an area with a marketplace, sat outside and ate pizza and watched the locals come shop and barter. Then we fed them gelato (which made us all happy). After dinner that evening, the boys stayed in the room (benefit to having teens) and DH and I went out by the hotel to a little sidewalk cafe, had a glass of wine and just watched people go by. Same thing in Venice...our arrival day was booked but we had the evening free, but the second day, after our mask making which was over by noon, we were free to wonder the streets, shop, enjoy ourselves until our farewell dinner. It wouldn't have been the same without that free time, but we did have some!

I understand why excursions have to be the way they are, you are trying to see so much in such a short time....next day, different city. ABD's pace is a bit more relaxed than that. For me, free time wasn't the issue so much as losing the ability to do things like negotiating a better hotel room (I could have sicked the guide on it, but I felt they had worked so hard I decided not to make it an issue....now if it had been ME.........). The other thing that was starting to get to me after a week was the waiting around. We waited in the morning until all were ready, we waited at restrooms for everyone to get through, we waited at meeting places while touring for everyone to show...etc. All of it was necessary, and thank goodness we had our free time to break it up, but by the end of the week I was happy to not have that be part of my day. Still, looking back, that was a minor inconvenience that only got annoying toward the end.

Yes, I can see where that could be a problem, esp since I'm a bit impatient. Guesss thats what the good Italian wine is for.:goodvibes

Jodie

can't you just stay a few more days and still spend less money?
I do not have unlimited vacation time. If you do, congratulations.

The 10 day trip I took to Italy in June/July was my entire vacation time for 2008. That's it. There's no more. So for some of us, it's not an option to extend our vacation to compensate for inefficiency in transportation or more importantly, WASTING time standing in lines or getting lost.

The other thing that was starting to get to me after a week was the waiting around.
We did not do much waiting for others on our trip, so that wasn't a problem. And frankly, when we did have to wait a few odd times, it was so hot, everyone enjoyed the opportunity to relax and chill for a bit.

For me, free time wasn't the issue so much as losing the ability to do things like negotiating a better hotel room (I could have sicked the guide on it, but I felt they had worked so hard I decided not to make it an issue....now if it had been ME.........). The other thing that was starting to get to me after a week was the waiting around. We waited in the morning until all were ready, we waited at restrooms for everyone to get through, we waited at meeting places while touring for everyone to show...etc. .

Was the hotel room bad? And I would think that would be a bad thing doing a tour group.. waiting for everyone to get done. etc..
I am still up in the air about doing the ABD..

Was the hotel room bad? And I would think that would be a bad thing doing a tour group.. waiting for everyone to get done. etc..
I am still up in the air about doing the ABD..

No, the room was fine. If it weren't I would have complained. We're just big on views....we enjoy having a nice view and often will pay extra for it. Many of the people in our group got nice canal views from their rooms in Venice. Had we booked a hotel room ourselves, we would have made that a point. Instead, our room overlooked an alley and someone's back yard. For some people this probably would not have been an issue, but for us it was a disappointment. I think it was just luck of the draw and we came up short.

About the waiting, sometimes it annoyed me, other times, like the previous poster said, it was fine with me to "hold up" for a few minutes. I still believe that for my family the benefits of going with the group outweighed the negatives...but the negatives do exist.

No, the room was fine. If it weren't I would have complained. We're just big on views....we enjoy having a nice view and often will pay extra for it. Many of the people in our group got nice canal views from their rooms in Venice. Had we booked a hotel room ourselves, we would have made that a point. Instead, our room overlooked an alley and someone's back yard. For some people this probably would not have been an issue, but for us it was a disappointment. I think it was just luck of the draw and we came up short.

About the waiting, sometimes it annoyed me, other times, like the previous poster said, it was fine with me to "hold up" for a few minutes. I still believe that for my family the benefits of going with the group outweighed the negatives...but the negatives do exist.

One of my biggest concerns are about the same as you have said... getting the luck of he draw on everything.. I really have to give it some thought.

Is it alot of time on a bus?

Tha amount of bus time varies with each itinerary. On Costa Bella, not much bus time. In Ireland we had alot of bus time. I was not looking forward to that part of the trip. But I ended up really, really enjoying the bus rides. First of all, they break it up so the longest ride we had the whole week was 2.5 hours. Then we had lunch or toured someplace good for an hour or two, then we were off again. Second, the scenery was so beautiful I loved just sitting looking out at the window. Very relaxing. And the busses are quite comfortable as well.

Wow, I must have had my notificaitons on weekly as I just got back to this thread and found a WORLD of information.

Love it..thanks to everyone and keep it coming.

The idea to rent the points and giving me the real example with Costa Rica was a great idea. I will plan on doing that. (i need to read up on renting the points..meaning if I should reserve something first or just post to rent and then book what people want - if someone knows a thread on this - let me know ---- I haven't even looked yet).

The ABD vs non-ABD really seems like a preference as well as is it in the budget etc.

Reading through all of this it also makes a difference on where you want to go. Example - I could see doing the Costa Rica on my own as I think it would be easier to plan, and not a lot of waiting in line kind of stuff.

But going to someplace like Italy - it appears there would be a lot of time-savings on the types of things we would like to do. Plus being in a different country etc.

I TOTALLY think all the extras Disney Provided would be worth it.

The PERFECT world -
If I had the MONEY and VACATION TIME - I think I would ALWAYS do ABD and then add a week on my own. :goodvibes

Since I don't have either I think I would really look at the itineraries and use ABD when it appears to be most advantageous.

For example one example where I wouldn't use them is in Yellowstone. Again, I think it would be great, but I know me and how I am with animals and I wouldn't want to be on a time schedule. I could sit and watch them for hours and just drive around trying to find them etc.

I can't wait to go on an ABD!!!!!!!

I am curious as someone mentioned a few other tour companies --- do they also get to bypass the lines etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter