Courtyard Theme Park Entrance vs. DLH Villa

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it's sold out for our stay - we're going during Spring Break. With the age range of the kids a single hotel room at GC or DLH won't work. Even doing 2 rooms is just about the same price without the guarantee of connecting. Thanks!!
I totally get that!!! We have two older teen DDs, and one hotel room is getting really, really "cozy" these days. And one bathroom.... But I just don't want to pay for two rooms at GCH just yet!!! Have fun either way!

I have stayed in a lot of boujee hotels, but I do not think it is worth $750 a night more to stay in the bubble. We were there in the summer and stayed at the Westin (I wanted club access and my husband has a lot of Marriott points) so walked from there and had zero issues, day or night. The only way I could justify that price difference is if we planned to spend a lot of time in the room. But of course that is just my opinion and it really depends on what it is worth to you.

I don't think I'd be able to justify the $3k difference. Except I somehow justified a $1k night during Christmas week in DLH club level, so probably I'm just kidding myself. 😂

My family isn't really bothered by the vendors and "you're going to hell" megaphone guy. My kids are teens, so that's one big factor. We are all "hell - here we come!" as we walk to security. (But we are also used to walking and living in cities.) I totally get why others have issues with it, though, and I think it's super helpful to know about that being there in advance, b/c it'll take some of the edge off if you aren't surprised. It's also a good idea to prep your kids that you aren't going to buy the crappy light-up toys and whatnot that they are selling.

I have family who stayed in that same Courtyard setup with 3 slightly older kids and loved it. I also just personally love DLH and think it feels so magical. Ultimately I think you're going to be happy with either choice - no wrong decision here.

I've stayed in DLH, GC, PP (previous version of Pixar Hotel), Spring Hill Suites and Hilton Convention Center. The only hotel where I felt "the bubble" was at GC. That's because of the direct park entrance, as well as the side entrance to downtown Disney. I found the walk from DLH to the parks through downtown Disney to feel less "bubble-like" than I suppose others do. During my stay at DLH and PP the monorail was down often due to the excessive heat. If the monorail had been working, I would have thought differently about the walk from DLH to DL.

If I was a person that only planned to walk to/from the parks twice each day, I would stay off-site because the preponderance of my day is at the parks. Only a small fraction would be outside the Disney bubble. I also love to use the park lockers. I found that enhanced my time in the parks, not having to go back and forth to the hotel to change for the cool evenings. I could store jackets, rain gear, store snacks and purchases, etc. I would use the "savings" from the off-site locations for special in-park experiences that I otherwise couldn't afford, like dining at Walt's or a fireworks/show dinner package.

Many happy magical memories whatever you choose!! :cutie:

Thanks so much for all of the great - and thoughtful - responses. It's clear there's really no obvious answer! Well, maybe there is if they were the same price :). I'll continue to agonize over the decision and make a final call this weekend! My 5 and 7 year old are actually really pushing for the Courtyard due to bunkbeds while my wife is pushing for VDL. I love the idea of one of us taking the 2 year old back earlier for bed and the others staying up, but last year during our 3 (!!) WDW trips we always left as a family after a long day at the parks.

If your trip is Spring Break 2024 you should be aware that the Disney “bubble” is a major construction site currently with walls everywhere. I’ve stayed at all the Disneyland hotels including the new DLH villas. The villas are nice and new but they are actually 1/10 of a mile further from the front gates than the Courtyard. IMHO given the current state of Downtown Disney, the 1/2 hour early entry benefit (which you aren’t planning to utilize) do not justify the cost of staying at the DLH. Save the $3000, use a fraction of that savings to buy Genie + and ILL for RotR and RSR, perhaps even a nice dinner at Carthay Circle/Napa Rose or a fun character breakfast at Plaza Inn/Goofy’s Kitchen etc.

If your trip is Spring Break 2024 you should be aware that the Disney “bubble” is a major construction site currently with walls everywhere. I’ve stayed at all the Disneyland hotels including the new DLH villas. The villas are nice and new but they are actually 1/10 of a mile further from the front gates than the Courtyard. IMHO given the current state of Downtown Disney, the 1/2 hour early entry benefit (which you aren’t planning to utilize) do not justify the cost of staying at the DLH. Save the $3000, use a fraction of that savings to buy Genie + and ILL for RotR and RSR, perhaps even a nice dinner at Carthay Circle/Napa Rose or a fun character breakfast at Plaza Inn/Goofy’s Kitchen etc.
Thanks! Didn't realize there was that much construction going on. All great points.

I agree with all of this. I’ve stayed in all of the Marriott hotels in the surrounding area, and DLH, GC, and PP many, many times. The Courtyard is hands down our favorite offsite hotel and the walk is closer to the entrance than the new Villas. We have a toddler and I feel perfectly safe walking back to the hotel for nap time and bedtime on my own. The vendors aren’t really bothersome, and the screaming guy isn’t always there. I try to time getting to the crosswalk so I’m walking across the street without stopping and not waiting on the corner. Once you get past that corner, there are no other vendors. You might see some houseless people or you might not. We live in an urban area so seeing a few unhoused people isn’t bothersome for us.

We stay at home2suites on Manchester because we need a kitchen. I wouldn’t walk there alone with one of my kids at night (I would in the day). I would walk back to courtyard anytime alone because it’s front and center on Harbor.

One year we went to dapper days and stayed at the DLH on discount just dh and I. I wish we’d stayed at GCH because I think the direct park entrance would have felt magical. The walk through DTD wasn’t magical. It’s frequently crowded with shoppers, so they’re looking everywhere but the crowds they’re crashing through walking 5 across. On Harbor everyone is going to or from the parks in an orderly fashion. I’ll take five seconds of the 2 guys selling light up toys on the corner and a homeless person sleeping under the bus stop (which is across the street from courtyard so you won’t even walk by them). I don’t even remember the religious person from last year so it wasn’t a big deal.

Double the price seems a bit much for a 4 day stay. On a longer stay I think you’d benefit from a kitchen and laundry.

ETA I would not walk to DLH alone in the dark, even through DTD. With just DH and I it felt pretty dark and creepy on the paths close to the hotel. I don’t know which tower we were in. Maybe Adventureland?

Thanks! Didn't realize there was that much construction going on. All great points.
We always stay at Beach Club, Boardwalk, Poly, or Grand Floridian when at WDW, at Disneyland we typically stay at Courtyard Theme Park, Westin, JW or Grand Cal. We are DVC members and will be trying the DLH villas this summer but I don’t expect to add it on our regular rotation…the walk is far if you aren’t taking the monorail to DL as your first park. Our kids are older now but my husband HATES taking a double stroller through DTD, it’s got fairly narrow (often divided) walkways and tons of people milling around distracted. FWIW, we walk from courtyard and grand cal but would take Ubers at least one way (or park at DL structures) from Westin and JW Marriott.

Theme Park isn’t fancy but our kids love the bunkbeds (use a rolled up towel to stop squeaking if necessary) and they also really love the waterslides and splash zones on a warm day. If the park is hot and crowded, it’s a nice alternative. As others mentioned, a divided bathroom with two separate showers is also great.

I’m a petite woman and feel safe on harbor blvd between about 7AM and midnight. If my husband wasn’t with me after dark I might try to wait and set off with a crowd. There are generally large groups of people all heading in that same direction.

the walk is far if you aren’t taking the monorail to DL as your first park

When we stay at VDH we love taking the monorail into Disneyland. It's not a bad way to do it and it greatly enhances the bubble experience..... but the hidden secret is that it's actually crazy quick to get into DCA too if you go this way -

1709800384017.png

I didn't judge right our first stay at VDH at I delayed my order at Corn dog castle out to the next mobile order block to give me 20 min to get here. My son and I sat there for like 15 min waiting. I can get from the VDH tower into DCA in about 5 to 7 min. If your staying at VDH or VGC your room key will open all of those gates.

I'm also very excited about the new Great Maple all day brunch at Pixar Place.

As someone who likes to stay in larger rooms and who has done the Marriot and Hilton Suites near property when we run low on DVC points I would say stick with VDH if the cost won't break you.

We'll be checking into a 2BR for our spring break in a few weeks.

We always stay at Beach Club, Boardwalk, Poly, or Grand Floridian when at WDW, at Disneyland we typically stay at Courtyard Theme Park, Westin, JW or Grand Cal. We are DVC members and will be trying the DLH villas this summer but I don’t expect to add it on our regular rotation…the walk is far if you aren’t taking the monorail to DL as your first park. Our kids are older now but my husband HATES taking a double stroller through DTD, it’s got fairly narrow (often divided) walkways and tons of people milling around distracted. FWIW, we walk from courtyard and grand cal but would take Ubers at least one way (or park at DL structures) from Westin and JW Marriott.

Theme Park isn’t fancy but our kids love the bunkbeds (use a rolled up towel to stop squeaking if necessary) and they also really love the waterslides and splash zones on a warm day. If the park is hot and crowded, it’s a nice alternative. As others mentioned, a divided bathroom with two separate showers is also great.

I’m a petite woman and feel safe on harbor blvd between about 7AM and midnight. If my husband wasn’t with me after dark I might try to wait and set off with a crowd. There are generally large groups of people all heading in that same direction.
Thank you! Very helpful. At WDW I don’t mind paying the premium (the premium doesn’t seem to be as steep either) because of the significant benefits you get by staying in the hotels you mentioned. But at Disneyland it doesnt seem like there are any outside of the Disney bubble experience (since the early entry doesn’t work for us at this point).

We have done off site, on site and my upcoming is off site.

I have not read through all the replies but... how much time do you plan to spend at the hotel? That's my determining factor... longer trips we splurge for on site and make time for the resort. Quick trips... not worth it.

Normally, I'm a stay-onsite girl. I love DTD and I love being within the resort at all times. I don't want to see the "outside world" while I'm at DLR and I'm lucky to generally have the means to be on site.

That said, I've stayed in most of the off-site hotels/motels on Harbor and many beyond that. I can honestly say that it does make a difference to me. It's not the same experience. It's not bad, but it's also not in-the-bubble good, regardless of the hotel itself.

And having said THAT, I also have to say that I'm not someone for whom money is no issue. I have to assess the commesurate value I'm getting for the cost difference, and if it's TOO great a disparity, I opt for the off-site property. In your case, I PROBABLY wouldn't spend an extra $3000 to stay at VDH because that's enough for me to fund a whole other trip (my family is grown and I usually go with a friend/adult family member).

But you're a family of 5 and it may be the only time you get to DLR together, so in your shoes I well might stay on site. The grounds, history, and location are worlds above Harbor IMO. I was just there a few days ago and the effects of construction aren't a big deal.

Did I help? :rotfl:

Thanks - the bunk beds are a huge selling point - and our room even has a bunk "room" so everyone has some space. I just worry about the walk based on some of these other comments. I honestly wasn't worried about it until I started posting...I was more worried about the "magic"!
The walk isn't bad at all and those people only ruin the "magic" if you let it. I've never understood the disney bubble in DL or WDW because when you arrive, nothing else matters. To me, waiting for a bus at MK removes all the magic even though I'm in the bubble. Even the bus ride isn't magical to me lol I would never spend $3k more just to be in the bubble for 4 days. I've stayed both on and off property at Disneyland and it's just not worth it IMO but I can't justify that price to spend all day in the parks and pay a ridiculous amount for just a bed and shower.

When we stay at VDH we love taking the monorail into Disneyland. It's not a bad way to do it and it greatly enhances the bubble experience..... but the hidden secret is that it's actually crazy quick to get into DCA too if you go this way -

View attachment 839774

I didn't judge right our first stay at VDH at I delayed my order at Corn dog castle out to the next mobile order block to give me 20 min to get here. My son and I sat there for like 15 min waiting. I can get from the VDH tower into DCA in about 5 to 7 min. If your staying at VDH or VGC your room key will open all of those gates.

I'm also very excited about the new Great Maple all day brunch at Pixar Place.

As someone who likes to stay in larger rooms and who has done the Marriot and Hilton Suites near property when we run low on DVC points I would say stick with VDH if the cost won't break you.

We'll be checking into a 2BR for our spring break in a few weeks.
The Courtyard actually has some of the largest rooms in the area. The bunk beds room is listed at 929 sqft whereas the VDH 1BR is only ~750 sqft.

Depending on how much time you are planning to spend at DCA, the Pixar Pier entrance is definitely a huge benefit VDH.

I'm going to be definitive in my opinion that I suspect you will regret not staying on property considering your circumstances and as long as the added expense won't make you sacrifice other more deluxe components of your trip such as Genie+ and dining where you want to. At the end of the day, nothing beats the magic of staying in one of the resort hotels. Plus, the 1-bedroom villas are so ideal for a family staying more than a night or two. The convenience of the kitchen and laundry are going to be huge.

We were the opposite of your family when we planned our WDW trip last year: lifelong Disneyland regulars making what was likely a once-in-a-lifetime visit. I knew I would regret not splurging on all my bucket list items. I have absolutely zero regrets!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter