Covid travel UK-US ... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will have to look into DVC although not sure can warrant it, not sure how it works out for UK visitors etc, I know you can rent them out etc but still quite costly.

I will have to look into DVC although not sure can warrant it, not sure how it works out for UK visitors etc, I know you can rent them out etc but still quite costly.

Not to derail the thread with DVC chat. But it's definitely only worth it for people who plan on going over an extended period of time, for many years etc. We bought enough points to go for 10-14 days every 2 years initially, and added on smaller cheaper contracts to mean we can now go annually.

Also, I am not sure how useful it is for people in the UK that are tied to school holidays. The 'cheapest' time to travel in terms of points is September and early December which doesn't exactly fit in well with school holidays.

I'm not from UK but rented points from a UK owner lol.

Renting DVC points is a good option too, especially if you're unsure if buying is right for you or not. What I enjoy staying DVC is the free parking, the locations, the lack of extra charges per adult head (most places start charging after 2 adults, DVC does not), taxes & fees included, and whatever onsite perks are offered plus now the Deluxe pmEMH is included. WDW costs are crazy. DVC is not as flexible as a hotel stay but for us the trade offs are worth the savings. We also like knowing what to expect inside the bubble because most resorts are run similarly.

Looking at the case loads i dont see us being allowed back in this year. The broke 50k new cases on the 13th. 14,787 people were hospitalized, 145 percent more than during the state's previous peak in July 2020.

Even if they allow us in they may well be put on the red list.

About a week ago a senior US medic, not Fauci but someone close, said "If Florida was a foreign country we would be telling people not to go there."

And now US schools are going back and the doctors are worried about flu season kicking off on top of Covid. It's a mess.

Looking at the case loads i dont see us being allowed back in this year. The broke 50k new cases on the 13th. 14,787 people were hospitalized, 145 percent more than during the state's previous peak in July 2020.

Where you getting that info from I can only find details of it hitting 24k new cases with 29 deaths on the 13th.

But I agree that its not good at the moment but the deaths have fallen all week in Florida daily.

Im getting that from Worldometer but if you have a better link let me know please.

Where you getting that info from I can only find details of it hitting 24k new cases with 29 deaths on the 13th.

But I agree that its not good at the moment but the deaths have fallen all week in Florida daily.

Im getting that from Worldometer but if you have a better link let me know please.

Im using the google search option that chucks the graph at the top (type covid florida in the search bar) and they reducing the time to 2 weeks. it may be out i guess.

Statistics

10 Aug 2021
New cases: 56,610

13 Aug 2021
New cases: 49,745

The news about the hospital cases i got from here

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/08/10...tors-to-florida-as-covid-surge-continues.html.

Im using the google search option that chucks the graph at the top (type covid florida in the search bar) and they reducing the time to 2 weeks. it may be out i guess.
You need to be careful with some of these statistics. Florida seems to only give numbers 4 days a week, so the headline figures may be misleading - much like UK death figures are higher Mon/Tues because of limited reporting at the weekends.
This is the chart I use from a bookmark in Google Chrome that gives me UK as default and I then 'browse' elsewhere as I want. (Note that sources vary with US numbers from the NYT as a rule.)
This is for Florida, 30 days:

The 7 days average is obviously a better guide than the dailies.

This is my actual link (UK) if anyone wants it:
covid statistics uk

Last edited:
We've shunted one of our many cancelled trips to December (trying to use points before they expire without going through the hassle of getting DVC to extend their expiration), so our question right now (unanswerable question!) is whether to buy Christmas party tickets or not, will the doubts ever end!

Thanks for that it can be misleading looking at stats if you don't read them or do a comparison to other places.

We've shunted one of our many cancelled trips to December (trying to use points before they expire without going through the hassle of getting DVC to extend their expiration), so our question right now (unanswerable question!) is whether to buy Christmas party tickets or not, will the doubts ever end!
I think if your going in the next 12 months then the doubts are still going to be there, even if they open the borders is it truly safe, the only person that can answer that is yourself making a judgement call.

Its not a nice place to be knowing that a) you could be fine and have a great time or b) you could be ill and have a bad time or worse. Its like quite a bit of life the decision you make is the right one for you hopefully.

One of the reason we bought into DVC was the parking charges. I know that perk can be removed at any time, but saving $25 a day is massive if you drive at Disney.
It's not a perk. We already pay for parking upkeep with our dues because parking lots are declared in the common areas. Legally they cannot ask us to pay twice. There is no way they can make us pay for parking (or they would have already done it).

It's not a perk. We already pay for parking upkeep with our dues because parking lots are declared in the common areas. Legally they cannot ask us to pay twice. There is no way they can make us pay for parking (or they would have already done it).

Does this apply at the parks though?

Just cancelling our Oct 28th trip as had to pay for my Gulf Coast villa next week. We had a call from a friend out there who works at Disney that they are in the middle of another wave. If they do let us in i believe they will go on Red list as there numbers are climbing all over the country ( we do not take stay by state numbers). Just going to move my VA flights on as free cancellation available.
Mediterranean it is then !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter