Creating a communication aid- guide for parents

Forevryoung

DIS Veteran
Ok, well it's my summer project for a grad class. I'm not sure if it's going to be a website, paper panphlet, webcast... but I will disseminate the information when it's together in a few weeks.

I have come to realize that there are many parents out there with children who have little verbal communication for a variety of reasons. Parents want to communicate with their children but don't have the means how and unfortunately, there are many SLP's out there who are clueless (as in any profession).

I'm putting together information on how to make a light (low) tech communication system for your child and how to most effectively use it, especially in the beginning.

Does anyone have any personal experiences of things that worked or didn't work from a parent's point of view that I could include? Or even questions that you have now or had originally about alternative communication methods...

Thanks for the help,
Forevryoung

When DS was younger, we did try the PECs for a while- they're sort of the "standard" thing with autism, I guess. His language skills are good enough now that we don't need them, but for alot of kids w/ autism, PECs are their way to communicate.

A big issue with them is the availability of the software and the cost. Our school district has the software, but it is way expensive and something that families usually don't own themselves.

So if the idea of PECs works, but the availability or cost is prohibitive, there are a few options. To begin with, people sell sets of them on e-bay like crazy. If you put "autism" in the search, probably half the listings are for home-made PECs cards.

DS works much better with real-life photographs than with line drawings. So what our SLT did, was bring a digital camera and take photos of things at our house. His shoes, toys, the toilet, etc etc. She printed them out on plain paper, trimmed the pictures to about 2" x 2", and laminated them. Then we put sticky-velcro on the back. He had his in a notebook, or sometimes you make posters, with the other half of the velcro. Worked much better for him since they were photos, and they were his real stuff- his actual shoes instead of some random pair of shoes- and not generic line drawings. I imagine it would work just as well to print them out on photo paper, but that gets expensive too, and the SLP had access to a laminater.

Of course, if you were making a bunch, it would be alot more work than just buying the PECs software, because the software has everything imaginable. Since DS was young at the time, there weren't alot of "wants" that he needed to express.

BeckyScott- Yep! I agree that the software should be cheaper... and that digital photos are great and work much better than random symbols many times (especially for kids with autism or younger kids)

For our toddler, she loves fridge magnets, so her speech therapist has printed out and laminated some pictures. The pictures are a little much for a toddler, but I'm trying to bring the magnet for food, and the one for drink, and put them on her highchair's tray at mealtime, for instance.

What is working is sign language. We're learning new basic signs, and teaching them to her.

As an SLP, I would say that the communication method depends on what will be easiest and most accessible for the particular person. Sometimes it takes some trial and error. It's important to work with what you have and to do what is best for the person. Sometimes it takes a few times before you get it right. If at first you don't succeed, throw it out, and try something different. I have worked with several children using different means of alternative communicative methods. I've used electronic devices, switches, PECS, modified PECS systems, and have found something that works with my kiddos in every situation. But, it's not the same for all kiddos.

As an SLP, I would say that the communication method depends on what will be easiest and most accessible for the particular person. Sometimes it takes some trial and error. It's important to work with what you have and to do what is best for the person. Sometimes it takes a few times before you get it right. If at first you don't succeed, throw it out, and try something different. I have worked with several children using different means of alternative communicative methods. I've used electronic devices, switches, PECS, modified PECS systems, and have found something that works with my kiddos in every situation. But, it's not the same for all kiddos.

That's one of the biggest things that Janice teaches us- The other biggest is that you know you have to get from point a to point c but you can get there quite a few different ways- and the one that best fits all needs and skills, is the one you start with... definitely trial and error! :goodvibes

<sigh> this project is going to be massive :rotfl:

I agree about using real photos. When my oldest was little we used polaroid photos and digital cameras have made things so much easier. I recently found out that Boardmaker makes a cheaper at home version of their software. They don't advertise it in the catalog, but you can ask.

I also made inexpensive communication boards my putting velcro on plastic folders. I keep the pictures inside. This makes it easy to have several folders that are ready to go, kept in different rooms or the car. Sometimes putting pictures on keyrings or in inexpensive photo albums works too. You can also find talking photo albums that are easy to program. We found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

The other thing I learned through trial and error is that if it's not parent friendly, it won't be used. Sometimes I have been persuaded into using things that sound great but just aren't practical for our family. I now know that if I can't adapt it into our routine we need to find a different way.

Another option is to check if your school or state participates in a lending library for assistive tech devices. In Indiana we have Patins. Teachers can check out devices to try with students so you can try before you buy.

That's one of the biggest things that Janice teaches us- The other biggest is that you know you have to get from point a to point c but you can get there quite a few different ways- and the one that best fits all needs and skills, is the one you start with... definitely trial and error! :goodvibes

<sigh> this project is going to be massive :rotfl:

:rotfl2: Good luck!!! I hated my grad project...I did mine on phonological processing...it was soooooooo fun! ;) :sad2:

I found this on an AAC (Alternative and Augmentative Communication) board I am active on and thought it might be useful to some people. It seems to fit into the discussion here.
Visual Planning and Contingency Maps.

When my DD was little, we had lots of communication boards up in varous places. I put many of them into clear plastic paper protector sleeves and with a little bit of velcro attached to them, they could be stuck anyplace they would be handy. We also used photo albums, individual picture signs or messages went into individual pockets of the album - easy to change and carry around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter