Cross border shopping (same day trip)

This conversation is one of the reasons I do not like to cross land boarders. There is far too much variation in what you get and how you get treated compared to the consistent treatment you get at an airport.

Going into the USA I've had everything from where you from and how long you planning on staying to show me your; hotel confirmation, tickets, how much money you have, credit card, more ID etc. And coming back I've had 20 questions to any alcohol/tobacco?
The difference is that people making a land crossing have more ways to hide things and they think they can get away with stuff easier. A good friend of mine works for CBSA and used to be the guy in the booth at a land crossing. They intentionally ask strange questions to throw people off. The agents are trained to read reactions from those questions.....body language basically. I too have been asked all the questions you mentioned at different time. I find the strangest ones come at times when I have been crossing in the middle of the night.

There are added layers of security at the airport so the entire interaction with the agents there is completely different. I have also been asked at the airport to produce a hotel reservation. So that doesn't only happen at a land crossing. I have also been asked to show proof of a return flight.

This conversation is one of the reasons I do not like to cross land boarders. There is far too much variation in what you get and how you get treated compared to the consistent treatment you get at an airport.

Going into the USA I've had everything from where you from and how long you planning on staying to show me your; hotel confirmation, tickets, how much money you have, credit card, more ID etc. And coming back I've had 20 questions to any alcohol/tobacco?

Going into the US the border guard asked us what we were going to be doing in the US. I replied Joann Fabrics, he just rolled his eyes (those crazy fabric ladies are on a mission) and wished us a good day.

Going into the US the border guard asked us what we were going to be doing in the US. I replied Joann Fabrics, he just rolled his eyes (those crazy fabric ladies are on a mission) and wished us a good day.

My Mom and I went across the border and did some shopping today...got some great deals at JoAnn Fabrics with my coupons...also bought some clothes since I have a hard time finding plus size clothes in Canada that actually fit me...we were waived through...it was an awesome ending to an awesome day spent with my Mom...

The difference is that people making a land crossing have more ways to hide things and they think they can get away with stuff easier. A good friend of mine works for CBSA and used to be the guy in the booth at a land crossing. They intentionally ask strange questions to throw people off. The agents are trained to read reactions from those questions.....body language basically. I too have been asked all the questions you mentioned at different time. I find the strangest ones come at times when I have been crossing in the middle of the night.

There are added layers of security at the airport so the entire interaction with the agents there is completely different. I have also been asked at the airport to produce a hotel reservation. So that doesn't only happen at a land crossing. I have also been asked to show proof of a return flight.

I also forgot to mention that I find airport USCBP to be a lot friendlier. I remember flying back from CDG to Toronto via Newark. I went through customs at Newark and the guy looked relieved to be dealing with a Canadian. How I was treated there as a Canadian has made a world of difference in how I see the USA and the US-Canada relationship.

Though my favourite interaction with someone on the American side was crossing at Niagara Falls at 3am with my Dad heading to Disney last year. The guy (who was you typical 30-something Dad-type) asked us where we were going and my Dad replied, to the airport to go to Disney World. The look of shock on the guys face was great. He said, didn't expect that. And then started going on about all the attractions and restaurants he loved at Disney. It a perfect start to a trip when you find another one of us.

I also forgot to mention that I find airport USCBP to be a lot friendlier. I remember flying back from CDG to Toronto via Newark. I went through customs at Newark and the guy looked relieved to be dealing with a Canadian. How I was treated there as a Canadian has made a world of difference in how I see the USA and the US-Canada relationship.

Though my favourite interaction with someone on the American side was crossing at Niagara Falls at 3am with my Dad heading to Disney last year. The guy (who was you typical 30-something Dad-type) asked us where we were going and my Dad replied, to the airport to go to Disney World. The look of shock on the guys face was great. He said, didn't expect that. And then started going on about all the attractions and restaurants he loved at Disney. It a perfect start to a trip when you find another one of us.

I don't find any of them to be very friendly, but they are not supposed to be. I would say the exceptions to that lean towards the American agents. My one stand out with a Canadian agent was crossing back at the Rainbow bridge. My friend and I were going shopping for the day and her DH decided to tag a long. He is a big shopper and I figured we might have a problem. He took off to shop alone and when we met up later he had spent over $700. So as we got to the border inspection I'm a whole lot nervous because they had been discussing what to lie about. I've said a couple of times to not lie and just suck it up and pay (it was my car). Anyway, as I pull up to the booth the new brakes on my car let out an ear piercing squeal. The guy in the booth starts laughing and says I think you need new brakes. I reply that they were new only the week before and we proceed to have a discussion about brakes. He then says have a nice day. He asked us NOTHING about our trip, what we bought etc.

I don't cross at Ogdensburg usually Fort Erie or Lewiston and at least 3x a month.
It's hit and miss as has been said whether I pay tax ..sometimes I declare $300 and get waved through and sometimes $100 and I pay tax...but I only go for the day and no matter what I've bought , I never ever pay duty. HST yes occasionally , but no duty. I've also had Nexus for maybe 8 years and never completed a form. Don't even know what it looks like. Weird how it can be so variable.

MY experience is similar for day trips. I declare everything [and am prepared to pay whatever taxes are owed]. Sometimes they ask me to come in and I then pay HST, other times they send me on my way, even though the $ amount is similar. I have never had to pay duty.

At the airport I have found they are more consistent with the limits, but people returning to Canada at the airport tend to be returning from multi-day trips where there are specified limits. For day trips the limit is actually $0, so anything you are allowed to bring in tax free is by the discretion of the customs officer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter