Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far operationally for our trip (possibly) in 10 days:
1) Cancelled our ALK CL => BWV 1 BR Travelocity reservation. We had a concurrent reservation in a Pop Preferred room, and couldn't justify the over $1000 difference for 3 (or maybe 2?) nights. Our Poly DVC stay for the second half hasn't been an issue.
2) Started to realize that driving down is probably the only safe way to get there and extricate us back home if things take a turn for the worse (i.e. positive infection). Southwest credits are good for quite a long time with their COVID policy, so we could possibly use those next year somewhere
3) Looking at outdoor dining / QS options as well as planning on QS to take to a pool area or room vs. indoor dining. Why no indoor dining? Well...
4) Brother in law got a positive COVID test. He had 3 excursions out himself, one was to a chain restaurant where hostess and cook staff failed to wear PPE and indoor dining. Other possible attack vector could have been his wife who's taken the kids out and about at least once a week, dance class, etc. She's probably going to be tested today.

Because of #4, the Mrs. who was gung ho for the trip now is super nervous. She's been wearing PPE since March and has interacted with several COVID positive clients at work, which is why she was confident with the PPE requirements Disney is putting in place. We have a go / no go choice I guess next Wednesday night, so we can see how all of the previews and the first few days of park operations go as well to make a final choice. The plan was to go early in the opening while Disney is super dilligent (press eyes on them etc), and burn through our DVC points so we don't "have" to do something with them until 2023. Thought about shifting to HHI, but the move restrictions where half of our 2021 points go back to 2021 crimps flexibility and destroys our "window" we're tying to create burning these points in one shot.

I’m not understanding whether or not resort hopping is allowed. I interpreted a statement by Disney as meaning not allowed without a dining reservation IF you are not a guest at the resorts (any resort). Are others interpreting the new rules to mean you can’t visit a resort without a reservation unless you’re staying at that specific resort? I’m really hoping we will be able to visit other resort quick service location, both for the variety and something to do in the evenings besides DS.

I’m not understanding whether or not resort hopping is allowed. I interpreted a statement by Disney as meaning not allowed without a dining reservation IF you are not a guest at the resorts (any resort). Are others interpreting the new rules to mean you can’t visit a resort without a reservation unless you’re staying at that specific resort? I’m really hoping we will be able to visit other resort quick service location, both for the variety and something to do in the evenings besides DS.
My guess is that this is going to change once the parks open. They're not going to be able to enforce the rule with all the bus/monorail/boat traffic.

1) Cancelled our ALK CL => BWV 1 BR Travelocity reservation. We had a concurrent reservation in a Pop Preferred room, and couldn't justify the over $1000 difference for 3 (or maybe 2?) nights. Our Poly DVC stay for the second half hasn't been an issue.
2) Started to realize that driving down is probably the only safe way to get there and extricate us back home if things take a turn for the worse (i.e. positive infection). Southwest credits are good for quite a long time with their COVID policy, so we could possibly use those next year somewhere
3) Looking at outdoor dining / QS options as well as planning on QS to take to a pool area or room vs. indoor dining. Why no indoor dining? Well...
4) Brother in law got a positive COVID test. He had 3 excursions out himself, one was to a chain restaurant where hostess and cook staff failed to wear PPE and indoor dining. Other possible attack vector could have been his wife who's taken the kids out and about at least once a week, dance class, etc. She's probably going to be tested today.

Because of #4, the Mrs. who was gung ho for the trip now is super nervous. She's been wearing PPE since March and has interacted with several COVID positive clients at work, which is why she was confident with the PPE requirements Disney is putting in place. We have a go / no go choice I guess next Wednesday night, so we can see how all of the previews and the first few days of park operations go as well to make a final choice. The plan was to go early in the opening while Disney is super dilligent (press eyes on them etc), and burn through our DVC points so we don't "have" to do something with them until 2023. Thought about shifting to HHI, but the move restrictions where half of our 2021 points go back to 2021 crimps flexibility and destroys our "window" we're tying to create burning these points in one shot.
I don’t have a problem going to FL.

You very much seem like you will be uncomfortable. You are following the news? Sure, Disney will be most vigilant now. But you still 💯 must be fine getting COVID if you go to Disney right now. You think guests won’t slip masks off in elevators, dark rides, lines? Please. Disney CMs can’t be everywhere.

I’m disturbed you mention using your points now so you don’t have to “worry” about using them. If you lose them for your safety you lose them. If your analysis is “This will be the safest date to use them” ok- but if you or anyone in your party doesn’t feel it’s safe enough you/they will spend the trip miserable.

Things changed on you the last two weeks. FL has a lot more diagnosed COVID. The trade off to CMs being their “most vigilant” is now entirely possible to be “FL has more COVID than ever”

I think this is something we won't find out until people go this week. I took it the way you did - if you are a guest staying at any resort, you can go to other resorts. Not all places do ADR's (like, say, Capt Cook's for tonga toast), so I think this is more to discourage locals from resort hopping on days they can't get a park reservation. I don't know for sure, obviously, but from what I've seen from people currently staying on property pre-parks opening, they've been going to various restaurants/lounges at resorts they aren't staying at. AFAIK Disney isn't having people scan magicbands before entering hotels, but they have the ability to do that if they want to or if they feel like the resorts are too busy in the evenings. I personally hope we can resort hop because I would really like to do a Skyliner "crawl" next week.

We have our trip in about 2 weeks now and I will watching closely and counting on Disney to run a tight ship. I also think going early will be best because:

1. The crowds should be very low after the first week (at least that's my prediction/hope)

2. I agree that when they first open is when Disney will be most diligent enforcing mask wearing and cleaning with the world and the press watching.

I wouldn't go many places far from home right now, but I do Trust Disney. When it comes to safety they are World Class.

Parking your own vehicle at any resort requires now to be staying at that resort or having a dining reservation but you can tour the resort and go to their quick service by taking a bus from DS.

I feel like the answer is yes, but can anyone confirm if the resorts are still doing the refillable mugs? I think they are, but CMs have to refill for you, correct?
yes refillable mugs are available and thre cm will fill it for you

But you still 💯 must be fine getting COVID if you go to Disney right now.
This says it all for everyone going, which may include myself later this year. It is not alarmist to say this, it is practical. We should all be realistic about the possibility of catching the virus if we go anywhere, but especially a large place like Disney where we will be exposed to more people than usual. Preventative measures will never be 100% effective, and while it would be nice to think that full compliance will be achieved at Disney, it just isn't realistic.

Parking your own vehicle at any resort requires now to be staying at that resort or having a dining reservation but you can tour the resort and go to their quick service by taking a bus from DS.

yes refillable mugs are available and thre cm will fill it for you

Do you actually have to have the plastic mug with you or can you show a receipt or something? Sometimes its inconvenient to have the mug if you don't want to carry it around for instance on your way out to a park in the morning.

Do you actually have to have the plastic mug with you or can you show a receipt or something? Sometimes its inconvenient to have the mug if you don't want to carry it around for instance on your way out to a park in the morning.
I would assume that yes you must have your mug with you. Before the changes and shut down, you were required to have your mug, therefore you would be required to have it now. Otherwise, anyone could get a drink.

Exactly. Disney has made this clear and has signs up everywhere stating that you are risking getting the virus by being there, staying at their resorts, etc. You also have to be aware that getting the virus could have devastating consequences. I read last night that Broadway star Nick Cordero lost his battle with the virus yesterday morning after being in the ICU for 3 months. No pre-existing conditions, fit, and 41 years old - same exact age as me. Leaves behind a wife and 1 year old son. So unbelievably sad.
The scary part is how many are ok with that. I'm sorry but my health is more important then any vacation let alone a Disney one.

New numbers are out. Number of cases is down because the number of tests is way down. Positivity rate is almost exactly the same as reported the day before.

Today - 6327 cases, 44,227 tests, 14.97% for new cases

Yesterday - 9997 cases, 69,983 tests, 15.04% positive for new cases

Orange County reported 374 new cases today (14.5% positive rate), 760 new cases yesterday (14.2% rate) so a similar profile to the rest of the state - lower number of cases, same positivity rate

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/state_reports_latest.pdf

This says it all for everyone going, which may include myself later this year. It is not alarmist to say this, it is practical. We should all be realistic about the possibility of catching the virus if we go anywhere, but especially a large place like Disney where we will be exposed to more people than usual. Preventative measures will never be 100% effective, and while it would be nice to think that full compliance will be achieved at Disney, it just isn't realistic.

Yup.

It’s not enough to feel safe with the precautions Disney has taken. I have seen this said so many times, that Disney has made them feel safe going. That’s good and all, and will hopefully help a great deal, but what you really need to be at peace with if you go somewhere like that considering all the various circumstances right now is actually catching COVID-19 and everything that comes with that.

On a side note, can you guys tell this AP waiting game is getting to me? I had a dream last night that we were in WDW, masks and all, but we bought new tickets and “forgot” to use our passes, still making them a problem in my dreams 😂.

Waiting not so patiently for our July email with the refund options laid out and ready to choose online. I have 0 faith in random phone CM I will be connected to will give completely correct info at this point with a decision that we will be locked into.

I don’t have a problem going to FL.

You very much seem like you will be uncomfortable. You are following the news? Sure, Disney will be most vigilant now. But you still 💯 must be fine getting COVID if you go to Disney right now. You think guests won’t slip masks off in elevators, dark rides, lines? Please. Disney CMs can’t be everywhere.

I’m disturbed you mention using your points now so you don’t have to “worry” about using them. If you lose them for your safety you lose them. If your analysis is “This will be the safest date to use them” ok- but if you or anyone in your party doesn’t feel it’s safe enough you/they will spend the trip miserable.

Things changed on you the last two weeks. FL has a lot more diagnosed COVID. The trade off to CMs being their “most vigilant” is now entirely possible to be “FL has more COVID than ever”
#4 was a biggie. It makes an impact when a relative gets it. I would postpone.
The scary part is how many are ok with that. I'm sorry but my health is more important then any vacation let alone a Disney one.

I think the thing counteracting that is the fact that the Mrs. has had a higher rate of exposure at work, and the mitigating steps (mask / disinfecting / etc.) work. They just do. The kids have been going to summer camp / day care w/ masks for a little while, and DD has been going back to in person activity class (dance) with these mitigating steps as well. I guess what I'm getting at is we're basically under the assumption we've been exposed for 4 months already. The big risk is the eating portion, since you're fundamentally unprotected. That's an activity we haven't done yet, and that's where most of our fear is at the moment. Yes there's a risk, but if people for the most part stick to the plan, the risk is low. Deciding to drive mitigates a compressed density space for extended period risk (airplane) as well as if someone would get it we would have a safe way to extricate back to home and not be trapped in FL. We don't have to decide until the night before we go, so we will have a week of operational data to make an assessment if the plan is being adhered to, or if it's not (like Hershey ended up becoming).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter