Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember something a while back where there was something in the works about possibly adding VQ to a few MK attractions to test it out - JC comes to mind. Had to be a month or 2 back where I had heard this, but nothing since.
Yes, my understanding is that they tested the tech at JC overnight a month or so ago, and they weren't confident enough to roll it out ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday "rush." Not sure what the future plans are for it.

While I agree with the sentiment (and I don't think Americans from other parts of the country are any more "virtuous" than Floridians), I will say, as a Floridian has also spent extended parts of this pandemic in other parts of the country, it's impossible for me to deny there is a marked difference in the behaviors I see. Whether that is because of local government policy, personal attitudes, or something else, I don't know and can't say for sure, but there definitely is a difference. For example, I went out to pickup takeout last night here in Florida and saw a bar at the restaurant full with at least two dozen people, chatting and drinking without masks and no more than maybe a few inches between each party. I haven't seen that anywhere else in the last nine months (and I've seen people seated socially-distant at bars at restaurants elsewhere in the country), which is why it was so jarring. While everyone is entitled to make their own decisions and risk assessments, scenes like that get "picked up" likely don't inspire a lot of confidence in out-of-staters thinking about spending money to come down here.

I'm never a fan of generalizations by any means, and I know many Floridians who have taken this very seriously, myself included. In fact, I feel confident that the majority of Floridians take it seriously, but one of the challenges with this pandemic is that if only a handful of people don't take it seriously, it can affect everyone. That's what Disney figured out early on and got right. It's not enough for 70% of people to wear face coverings; you need 95% to really make a big difference. And I do think that when anecdotes like mine (and in my experience, it hasn't been an isolated incident) get out, especially when contrasted to what's happening in other parts of the country, it can be off-putting and not particularly reassuring for someone traveling from an area where that isn't commonplace right now and is being actively warned against.

For me, I take the precautions, self-regulate, and act as my own best advocate. But I also have reasons to be here well beyond WDW or tourism. For most of Florida's out-of-state tourists, that's not necessarily the case. It's much easier to say "I'm not coming; it's not worth the risk." And personally, as someone who wants to see as many Florida service employees go back to work (and stay back to work) as possible, I think it would be wise for the state to focus on inspiring confidence in the health and safety measures for out-of-state visitors (much like Disney has done with their latest ad). A different decision was made, so we'll see how it pans out.
I so agree! I live in South Carolina where we do have some mandates in place statewide (more than Florida, less than Maryland, where I'm from originally), but in my particular county there are elevated restrictions in place. The attention to the virus varies greatly within the state, largely because the mandates aren't uniform. While I'll comfortable in my immediate area, I would not feel comfortable in some other parts of South Carolina.

I've had occasion to travel to Florida several times since the pandemic started and my experiences, depending upon destination, have been vastly different. Travel to Disney World doesn't begin to compare to the Fort Myers area, which had close to zero precautions enforced. I've also traveled to Gainesville which was somewhere between the two. My last trip to WDW we spent 5 nights at Universal Orlando, and even with their restrictions in place it seemed less "safe" than at WDW.

It's unfair to generalize about any state's residents, but it's clearly evident (at least to me) that the mandates of a state are at least an indication of how safe travel will be to that state. Certainly there are businesses and counties that take things a step further, but for those people traveling from another area with more restrictions, the position of the Florida government can be somewhat disconcerting....and as I said, I come from a state that is more relaxed than many.

Illinoisan here! Yeah, Illinois has been awful lately. I can tell you from personal experience that there are a lot of people here (probably like everywhere else) who just don’t think this is a big deal. Just looking at my Facebook feed on Thanksgiving was making my blood boil. The hospitals are getting crowded and it’s making me so nervous. I live in the middle of the state, not near Chicago, and I’m getting the impression that attitudes downstate are quite different than in the big city.
We are in the EIU territory just west of Mattoon. We take it very seriously around here, but as you go on further south, masks are not as common. To whoever up the thread that said they wonder where people come from that say they felt safer at Disney, I am one as I was there two weeks ago and am going back Friday! Disney is better than our Walmart, our grocery store, and any restaurant. It is true. pirate:

109% agree, also these business that are allowing this to happen should be penalized in some ways, and just to open how complicated this discussion is, some of these people going to these establishments are visitors that feel their states are too strict and are blowing off steam here. I just hate generalizing
109% ? Wow

To be fair to Florida, the Orlando airport was lightyears better in terms of mask compliance, cleanliness, and distancing compared to the Denver airport. Which is funny because I think many of us Coloradoans have had a ‘we’re winning at this attitude’ but my anecdotal experience was that DIA was the most unsafe I felt our entire trip!

I’m already planning when we can go back- we had such a positive experience overall at WDW.

To shift the conversation -
How many of the "reopening" things that are happening this month do we think will stick around January/February/March during what is normally (pre-COVID) an already slow time?

Like . will the restaurants like Crystal Palace and the little quick-service places at DHS (like Woody's Lunchbox) stay open or is this just due to they know December will be getting pretty close to max capacity and they need the capacity?

How many of the "reopening" things that are happening this month do we think will stick around January/February/March during what is normally (pre-COVID) an already slow time?

Like . will the restaurants like Crystal Palace and the little quick-service places at DHS (like Woody's Lunchbox) stay open or is this just due to they know December will be getting pretty close to max capacity and they need the capacity?
Very hard to tell. They weren’t announced as temporary openings, but that doesn’t mean they could be. I would think if they’re accepting reservations for the TS restaurants for those time periods they would probably stay open. QS are easier to close back down if they wanted/needed without altering people’s plans.

I definitely think they were getting things open for the holiday crowd so we could see some things close back down in January - maybe only open on the weekends .... though we also know one of the All Stars is opening in early February so maybe they do expect some increased crowds longer term as well

I think it totally depends on how successful the current Ad campaign is.

Really interesting question.

I think if it already reopened it's probably safe. It's an employee labor nightmare (recalled, furloughed loop) and Disney will do what they can to push 35% capacity until the decided to increase it overall.

What I find interesting is that the outdoor Patio for Trader Sam’s hasn’t been opened yet. It wasn’t discussed that it would be closed throughout the refurbishment, and I would imagine they’d get enough guests from just the DVC guests. The inside is almost impossible to open up unless you only have a 5-10 guest limit, but not having the outdoor bar open doesn’t make sense to me

We just got back home to TX last night.

We drove partially bc our youngest is autistic and we didn't know how well he'd handle wearing a mask, and didn't want to be kicked off a flight. (We also wanted to have a car since we were staying in a cabin and didn't want to deal with strollers on the buses.) We figured if he didn't want to wear a mask, we'd hang out in our cabin at FW, order take out, and maybe my husband or I would switch off taking older kids to the parks. Luckily, our youngest was very good about mask wearing and it wasn't an issue.

We've never driven from TX to FL before. I noticed quite a few cars with TX license plates as we were heading into FL, but obv don't know how numbers compare to normal. I know I've read comments from people saying they'd feel more comfortable driving than flying right now, but mask compliance at basically every stop from Mississippi through Tallahassee wasn't great. (We only got out of the car for bathroom breaks and gas, went through a few drive thrus.) Even gas stations that had signs saying masks required were full of people without any masks (>half of customers). Also, what's with gas stations in the panhandle closing at like 10 pm or earlier?? I've only been on 5 flights since March, but the airports (MCO and airports in TX) and planes felt much safer than anywhere we stopped along our drive.

I also posted several pics of the walkway from Liberty Square into Fantasyland on Thanksgiving. Those pics are pretty representative of every time we were in the area both in early Nov and on our 3 MK days over Thanksgiving. From further back, the area definitely looks crowded, but we found that once we were actually in the walkway, it was fairly easy to distance. It seemed like what looked like crowding was just a trick of perspective. Obv others could have different experiences, that's just what we found.

I wish there was a better way to get guests to pay attention to the actual placement of the "please wait here" stickers in queues. Pretty consistently, guests were standing what they prob felt was 6' away, without noticing that there were no stickers on switchbacks.

Also, I've said it before, but most of the actual wait times for attractions were far lower than estimated. We got into line for I think Buzz one day, sign said 35 min wait, and the CM working at the attraction said, "yeah but that's not real." It was a walk-on. Queues themselves can look intimidating (HM starting down in Frontierland and wrapping through the Liberty Bell line, for example), but they tend to go pretty fast. Even though I personally want DLR open, I can see how socially distancing queues would pose a real strategic problem there since walkways are so narrow.

I'm not sure how much this has been discussed, but eating and drinking in lines was really only an issue in covered/interior portions of queues. There was even a sign outside PotC that said no eating or drinking past this point (located by the normal standby queue entrance). Every time we went on TOT, for instance, there were people who were told to step to the side once they got up to the entry gate to finish their drink or food.

When does Disney update the park hours on their site? I saw the other day that MK had been extended to 8-10 on multiple days in December but they aren't showing up on the site yet. It still shows the 7th for example being 8-8.

Last edited:
When does Disney update the park hours on their site? I saw the other day that MK had been extended to 8-10 on multiple days in December but they aren't showing up on the site yet. It still shows the 7th for example being 8-8.
I believe they have updated the park hours. MK is showing the 8AM-10PM starting on 12/20.

I hope that they continue the extended hours after 12/31 for my trip. If the short hours come back our back up plan is stop go to Disney Springs for shopping and dinner after the parks.

During his press conference today DeSantis said there would be “no lockdowns, no fines, no school closures. No one’s losing their job because of a government dictate. Nobody’s losing their livelihood or their business. That is totally off the table.”

So that should nix any fears of WDW shutting down

We are in the EIU territory just west of Mattoon. We take it very seriously around here, but as you go on further south, masks are not as common. To whoever up the thread that said they wonder where people come from that say they felt safer at Disney, I am one as I was there two weeks ago and am going back Friday! Disney is better than our Walmart, our grocery store, and any restaurant. It is true. pirate:
Totally nothing to do about WDW, but graduate of EIU, class of 1976. Go Panthers.

During his press conference today DeSantis said there would be “no lockdowns, no fines, no school closures. No one’s losing their job because of a government dictate. Nobody’s losing their livelihood or their business. That is totally off the table.”

So that should nix any fears of WDW shutting down
JMO The fear isn't if Disney being forced to shut down, that would have the biggest impact with DVC. The fear is if the infection rate increases to the point where Disney should close or is the infection rate high enough to suggest any intelligent person should delay a trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter