Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the court documents in a recent ADA decision, Disney cited average attendance in the MK is approximately 55K per day. With reduced ride capacity due to distancing measures, some not even opening, no stage shows or parades to detract from lines, I’m guessing that 15K is just going to feel like a normal crowd level of 4 or 5.

Yuck. 4 or 5 does not sound like much fun to me, especially with what we've spent and what has been taken away.

However, with no Fastpass line, or...being able to use the FP line as a second standby line...I would think it would eventually balance out, just a little bit.

Also...I think that clearer walkways, a less crowded "feel", less crowded shops will do a great deal of goodwill. We'll see.

Its the best time for people that know what they’re getting into to have a ride oriented trip. Its still going to be tough to get on rides like FoP and RotR, but you’ll almost certainly be able to get on both of them.

If this happened 2 years ago before TSL opened, I dont even think they’d bother to reopen DHS with the lack of things they had. Now its probably the park with the 2nd most stuff to fill a full day with without having to worry.

Yeah, I really don't know why Disney opted not to do Virtual Queues....at least in the major high ticket attractions.

People praised Universal for guaranteeing resort guests get into their parks. It appears that Disney may not have officially done this but have in practice done this too with their buckets.

There are a lot of less than ideal things they’ve done with APs during this. I think both locals and out of state have a right to be annoyed with them. But this isn’t your typical downturn, if they have enough people traveling to come to hit whatever break even number they have, it makes a lot of sense to heavily prioritize people staying at the resorts. They don’t need sheer numbers of people to keep them afloat, they need the biggest spenders they can. They’ve got a lot of room for AP holders who are paying their hotel rates, after all. Maybe they’d open spaces day of or close to it when it becomes clear it’s not needed for resort guests.
Oh I definitely agree that people with resort stays should be guaranteed park entry, including DVC.
My gripe this morning is with day tickets w/o resort stays having more availability than AP especially since a lot of those day tickets were extended out to 9/2021

According to the court documents in a recent ADA decision, Disney cited average attendance in the MK is approximately 55K per day. With reduced ride capacity due to distancing measures, some not even opening, no stage shows or parades to detract from lines, I’m guessing that 15K is just going to feel like a normal crowd level of 4 or 5.
All rides are opening in MK, and people will still be in the lines. I believe only monsters Inc laugh floor isn't opening. And there will be cavalcades of characters to pull crowds. :)

Yeah, I really don't know why Disney opted not to do Virtual Queues....at least in the major high ticket attractions.

I think it is because they want to use the queues to hold people. If people are on virtual queues then they would be walking around and there isn't room for everyone to properly social distance if the queue space isn't being used

I think it is because they want to use the queues to hold people. If people are on virtual queues then they would be walking around and there isn't room for everyone to properly social distance if the queue space isn't being used
I agree with that. Also, Universal Orlando also has not been using virtual queues for a majority of the time-- they don't need them due to such low capacity. They turn them off and on throughout the day because of this. My guess is Disney doesn't need virtual queues because of lower capacity, more than anything.

Oh I definitely agree that people with resort stays should be guaranteed park entry, including DVC.
My gripe this morning is with day tickets w/o resort stays having more availability than AP especially since a lot of those day tickets were extended out to 9/2021

I wonder if that one is just demand showing.

How many people are holding tickets without an on-site stay, are not AP holders, and are actually wanted to go to Disney right now or anytime soon to the point that they’re booking days? I have nothing backing me up but I wonder if the crowds immediately will be primarily onsite guests and AP holders. Those groups probably hold a lot of the biggest WDW fans (who are coming hell or high water) and the people who can pop in for shorter amounts of time. The ticket holders only may even be potential onsite guests just waiting to book a stay since they have been locked out for a bit.

Are they still limiting access to DS based on capacity? Thought there was something early on about when the parking garages were full that was it. But now with resort guests being bused in is it still limited? After the parks open, with the reduced park hours and without the ability to hop to other parks I can see how folks at WDW may want to "hop" over to DS and I'm now wondering if there will be capacity limits still in effect there.

I tend to think that will happen too, but they could take it a step farther and open the unused slots for park hopping. I know I start many days there by going to or ending the day at Epcot during the festivals for the food booths.
Too much to hope for at first but maybe after things get a little better.
Just to expand on this a little. It would make financial sense since..if they are set up for a certain number of guests at any one time , why not pull from the on property pool of guests to keep the money flowing for the 10 hours or so at each park.
They can sell more food at F&W but DHS would be a problem with ROTR.
A long shot but...$$$

I wonder if that one is just demand showing.

How many people are holding tickets without an on-site stay, are not AP holders, and are actually wanted to go to Disney right now or anytime soon to the point that they’re booking days? I have nothing backing me up but I wonder if the crowds immediately will be primarily onsite guests and AP holders. Those groups probably hold a lot of the biggest WDW fans (who are coming hell or high water) and the people who can pop in for shorter amounts of time. The ticket holders only may even be potential onsite guests just waiting to book a stay since they have been locked out for a bit.
That’s a good point and probably is a big possibility, y’all have to excuse me I’m just in a mood this morning lol. I’ve been trying to be so patient with Disney in all of this because I had hope that they would treat APs better since we know we are pretty much going to be who Disney calls on to help them rebuild after the pandemic (and subsequent recession). 😂 I’m just being a brat this morning

A bit of operational news, the unions have agreed with Disney to reconvene during the next 100 days to renegotiate the terms, basically the 14 days paid leave if a CM has the virus and the fact that if a CM has symptoms they can now call and say they won't be going into work and won't get any points against their record, along with other safety measures.
This seems reasonable and wise.

It is at least clear that Disney does not see as much value in local Passholders as some would have thought. I don’t think they’ll do away with AP’s, but I do think the days of being able to visit on a whim, as often as you’d like, are long gone.

We are ( soon to be were, as we’re getting refunds) out of state Passholders. I doubt we’ll go back to multiple visits during the year unless they drop the reservation system as it now exists. If they don’t come back with significant room discounts, AP’s wouldn’t make much sense for us anymore either.

I’m just not making reservations and buying tickets a year or more in advance. So we’ll sit back and see how this all pans out. I suspect the time will come when Disney is begging for guests to return instead of us begging to get to go. I can wait.
Were you able to call and get them to cancel your pass and give you a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the pass? Or were you just able to get a refund for the period the parks were closed?

That’s a good point and probably is a big possibility, y’all have to excuse me I’m just in a mood this morning lol. I’ve been trying to be so patient with Disney in all of this because I had hope that they would treat APs better since we know we are pretty much going to be who Disney calls on to help them rebuild after the pandemic (and subsequent recession). 😂 I’m just being a brat this morning

No I get it, I’m really pleased with what they’ve done with my kids multi day tickets but my DH and my APs have left a lot to be desired. At least they’re giving the money back option (we think) I guess.

I missed this somewhere, obviously - but it looks like there's no option to buy another 2020 ticket? We only had 2 of our 3 days of tickets purchased before it all got locked down. Have they announced somewhere it's only 2021 and on that can get new park days?

Just the other week it was announced refunds are avaliable for the balance of the pass starting from the closure date. For those on the payment plan,
payments made from closing date onward can be refunded and future payments cancelled. It’s on the passholder page on the website.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/annual-passes/
Oh, wow, thank you. I see it says that they will announce details in early July. I guess I'll wait. I tried calling the passholder line and it just says "all circuits are busy now."

I missed this somewhere, obviously - but it looks like there's no option to buy another 2020 ticket? We only had 2 of our 3 days of tickets purchased before it all got locked down. Have they announced somewhere it's only 2021 and on that can get new park days?
Correct. 2020 ticket sales will reopen “later this summer”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter