Cruise for adults

I think they mean the ship in general. For example:

Staterooms have Disney artwork replacing nautical theme on older ships.

2 out if 3 main dining rooms are disney character dinner shows. Magic and Wonder have that too now. But Dream and Fantasy only have the Crush show in AP and very fleeting character smile and wave in EG the Wish has the Frozen and Marvel dinner shows.

Main water slide is now a disney attraction at sea with Mickey/Minnie video screens playing throughout the ride.

Skyline lounge (themed to world cities) is now Hyperspace Lounge (themed to star wars).

Main atrium now has a big castle stage.

Adult dining venues are themed to beauty and the beast (although pretty subtle from the looks of it).

So I can see how someone would find the Wish to be more “disney-in-your-face.” However I kind of think all the disney ships are very Disney-centric, with Disney stage shows, movies, and music. I also like Disney stuff as an adult do I don’t think of that stuff as just for kids, but YMMV.

That's what I mean. Not that there is any doubt on the current ships that you are sailing with Disney but it's more subtle. There are a lot of IP's on the Wish. I'm not saying that's good or bad as it depends on the person. I enjoy Disney but maybe not as enamored as some on here. I'm just interested to see how it is in real life and not in a 3D animation.

So here’s my question a 1 bedroom suite concierge level which is like a 600 square foot room on Disney for 7 nights Carribbean cruise standard Carribbean ports is $22,500. I have cruised on Norwegian in the Haven which is a private area of the ship with phenomenal service and food private pool area all that and a similar cruise, same number of nights but a 1300 square foot room in the Haven is $17,100. I would say that the Haven is Excellent service. So basically the same cruise is $5000 more on Disney in a room half the size. A Viking 15 day European cruise in a comparable room size is still less than this Disney Carribbean cruise. Viking is considered a very good line. Probably on par with Disney service.
so my question is what makes the Disney cruise worth it to you?
im not starting a debate about is this worth it I want to do a Disney cruise cost is not the issue. I have experience with Norwegian and Viking but not Disney cruise lines so I’m just curious as to where the people who have experience cruising with Disney suggest some room types, locati on ship, restaurant to try etc that add that value to a Disney cruise
so please all I’m asking is why Disney commands more? I’m sure it’s worth it that’s not the debate I’m starting. What I’m asking is what makes it worth it to you if you have cruised.
im looking to plan a big birthday cruise next year for myself and my wife on Disney. We are Disney lovers, DVC owners all that hook line and sinker just never cruised with them before because we have no children and always thought that Disney cruise was a kids cruise but have since learned it’s a luxury experience

I prefer the Dream and Fantasy because they have the Aqua Duck, mini golf, sweets shop, Midship Detective Agency (the kid in me loves it), and Remy, which offers the best dining on any DCL ship.

Fantasy has aft vibration issues: which makes the Dream my top favorite.

so please all I’m asking is why Disney commands more? I’m sure it’s worth it that’s not the debate I’m starting. What I’m asking is what makes it worth it to you if you have cruised.
im looking to plan a big birthday cruise next year for myself and my wife on Disney. We are Disney lovers, DVC owners all that hook line and sinker just never cruised with them before because we have no children and always thought that Disney cruise was a kids cruise but have since learned it’s a luxury experience
IMO, it's very difficult to point objectively to things that justify the Disney price premium. Objectively, Disney is solidly in the middle of the pack of premium (not luxury) cruise lines. But as you hint, that doesn't mean it isn't worth it. There are a few things that I personally think Disney does well:

- Entertainment throughout the ship is excellent, and not just in the theater. While it isn't as extensive as you'd find on resort-style ships like RCCL's Oasis-class ships, it's really good for a traditional-style cruise.
- The dining experience is excellent. The food itself is average to slightly-above-average (and pales in comparison to premium dining on other lines), but the rotational dining concept and the MDR entertainment is great.
- The experience for kids is second-to-none. (This isn't super relevant to a cruise for adult guests, except I will note that it means that a lot of the noise and chaos that you might expect is actually pretty contained.)
- Castaway Cay is pristine and beautiful and a ton of fun, although I actually prefer RCCL's Coco Cay just because there's more to do--I'm not a "lounge on the beach" type.
- The Disney "magic" is a ton of fun. I think this deserves more credit than it usually gets, but personally just having characters around, seeing Disney movies, and hanging out with other likeminded guests is a huge part of the fun for me.

IMO, because of that last point alone I think it's worth a try if you're a big Disney fan. But don't come in expecting real luxury. Concierge is a great experience and it may be worth it to you because it's the best that Disney has to offer, but if you come in expecting something like The Haven from NCL or The Retreat on Celebrity then you'll probably be disappointed. The Concierge lounge and sundeck are lovely (especially when the ship is full), but there's no ship-within-a-ship or large dedicated area or restaurants like there are on other lines. The Concierge hosts are great, but IMO a lot of what they do is compensate for Disney-specific annoyances like the fact that there aren't enough of the popular facilities and activities to go around (or Disney isn't charging enough for them to mellow the demand), and even then most of the advantage is that you can join the booking scrum early rather them holding back reservations for Concierge guests (although they do seem to hold back a very small number). We usually get 1- or 2-bedroom suites on other lines, but usually don't bother with Concierge on Disney because it's just not worth it for us.

I hope that's somewhat well-balanced. I love cruising with Disney and am very much looking forward to our EBTA cruise with them in May. It sounds like you're a big Disney fan so I do genuinely think it's worth giving it a shot, but if you do you should go in expecting a premium mainstream cruise line with a lot of Disney magic mixed in.

Last edited:
We prefer the pool area and the adult club spaces on the classics.

To have a more adult cruise, I would say it's not just a ship issue, but also a timing issue. If you sail the shorter cruises and the ones that occur during school breaks, there will be more kids onboard. The long repo cruises (TA,PC) will have the lowest number of kids.
How about Alaska cruises? Are there fewer kids? Were going in July. We dont have kiddos but love their energy.

IMO, it's very difficult to point objectively to things that justify the Disney price premium. Objectively, Disney is solidly in the middle of the pack of premium (not luxury) cruise lines. But as you hint, that doesn't mean it isn't worth it. There are a few things that I personally think Disney does well:

- Entertainment throughout the ship is excellent, and not just in the theater. While it isn't as extensive as you'd find on resort-style ships like RCCL's Oasis-class ships, it's really good for a traditional-style cruise.
- The dining experience is excellent. The food itself is average to slightly-above-average (and pales in comparison to premium dining on other lines), but the rotational dining concept and the MDR entertainment is great.
- The experience for kids is second-to-none. (This isn't super relevant to a cruise for adult guests, except I will note that it means that a lot of the noise and chaos that you might expect is actually pretty contained.)
- Castaway Cay is pristine and beautiful and a ton of fun, although I actually prefer RCCL's Coco Cay just because there's more to do--I'm not a "lounge on the beach" type.
- The Disney "magic" is a ton of fun. I think this deserves more credit than it usually gets, but personally just having characters around, seeing Disney movies, and hanging out with other likeminded guests is a huge part of the fun for me.

IMO, because of that last point alone I think it's worth a try if you're a big Disney fan. But don't come in expecting real luxury. Concierge is a great experience and it may be worth it to you because it's the best that Disney has to offer, but if you come in expecting something like The Haven from NCL or The Retreat on Celebrity then you'll probably be disappointed. The Concierge lounge and sundeck are lovely (especially when the ship is full), but there's no ship-within-a-ship or large dedicated area or restaurants like there are on other lines. The Concierge hosts are great, but IMO a lot of what they do is compensate for Disney-specific annoyances like the fact that there aren't enough of the popular facilities and activities to go around (or Disney isn't charging enough for them to mellow the demand), and even then most of the advantage is that you can join the booking scrum early rather them holding back reservations for Concierge guests (although they do seem to hold back a very small number). We usually get 1- or 2-bedroom suites on other lines, but usually don't bother with Concierge on Disney because it's just not worth it for us.

I hope that's somewhat well-balanced. I love cruising with Disney and am very much looking forward to our EBTA cruise with them in May. It sounds like you're a big Disney fan so I do genuinely think it's worth giving it a shot, but if you do you should go in expecting a premium mainstream cruise line with a lot of Disney magic mixed in.
Thanks! This is the type of information I am looking for. I realize that Disney premium is there and for me in the parks, resorts, DVC always worth it. I was just at Walt Disney World last month and did a split stay between the Grand Floridan and Beach Club and am so tired of hearing “the magic is gone” from people and these Facebook pages because we found it to be amazing. We found magic in the resorts, by the pools, restaurants and even in the parks. We don’t go full blast thru the parks we relax and take in everything. Yes the resorts are expensive (even though we are DVC we still bought our contracts) but there is always that intangible thing Disney has that I just can’t put into words. It sound like it’s on the ships as well and that’s what I was looking for so thank you

After 11 trips to WDW as a great aunt but myself childless, I'm used to enjoying seeing them have fun. The restaurants/MDR might be a little challenging but I just know they will all be on their best behaviour. LOL.

After 11 trips to WDW as a great aunt but myself childless, I'm used to enjoying seeing them have fun. The restaurants/MDR might be a little challenging but I just know they will all be on their best behaviour. LOL.

You'd get a kick out of this, then... when we cruised DCL to Alaska several years ago, some little girl ran up and hugged my husband around the legs while we were all waiting in line to see a character. She said, "I just needed to hug somebody!" and ran off. It was cute. :)
P.S. We were sailing in May on the first cruise of the season and there were not that many kids like there would be in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter