Curious about value of points of expensive home resorts

NorCalDisFan

Earning My Ears
I would have this curiosity because I'm a newbie. Actually, I'm not even a newbie. I would call myself a pre-owner.
I live in NorCal and love Disney parks more than my young kids do.
I have interest in VGC as well as the upcoming Disneyland Tower because of geographical reasons, so I've been reading and researching DVC for a couple of months.

As all you know, VGC is most expensive. I wonder why? Due to the premium to book the high demanding resort in 11 months advanced? It seems like that. Right?
At first, I thought when renting out or exchanging the points, the market value would be higher, but it doesn't look like that. When I wanted to rent from David's, the price was the same even though I couldn't make it. Anyways, I would try to buy points of VGC or the new one this year or next year. Just out of curiosity. Thanks for any comments.

I think VGC is so high because of the 11 month priority and the small number of rooms. However, some rental companies vary in what they charge by resort. I don’t know which ones off the top of my head as we don’t ever have points left to rent :rolleyes1

If you buy VGC, are you planning to buy resale? If so, I assume you would not be able to book at DLT with those points. It is my understanding that DLT will require qualified points for non-DLT owners but I could be wrong as I haven’t been following DLT very closely.

It’s a small resort and the only one out that way so it’s very popular. Those that own points there use them there. So it’s hard to get into if you don’t own there.

Thanks for the comments. I'm just waiting until DLT is released. After that, I will buy either one hopefully. As far as know buying VGC from Direct is almost impossible (too long waitlist for now). So I don't consider that option.

Yea only way to get VGC currently is resale, and if you want to stay there and DLT, you'd most likely need to buy direct for qualified points. I dont think its been confirmed yet if DLT will carry the same restrictions as RIV, but it is definitely a more likely then not scenario.

So you are right to wait for DLT or at least wait until its confirmed for sure regarding restrictions. And I would highly doubt they sell DLT direct for the 300+ that VGC goes for resale.

if you don’t own at VGC you can’t get a reservation there.
Right now it’s booked out about 9 months in advance.
I just bought 75pts for $289 because I want to stay there yearly.

If you use the search engine there are only 7 contracts anywhere under 100pts available and they are 300-315 a point.

Right now it’s the only place to stay and probably will be superior to DLT.
The rooms and resort are great and your right next to the park.
I’ve stayed there 5 or 6 times and it’s my favorite resort.

Thanks for the comments. I'm just waiting until DLT is released. After that, I will buy either one hopefully. As far as know buying VGC from Direct is almost impossible (too long waitlist for now). So I don't consider that option.

We own at VGC and are in escrow on an additional contract there. DVC stopped taking waitlist requests for VGC even before Covid hit. The only way to buy in there is via resale now.

I bought VGC in 2010 and it’s nearly impossible to find a room there if I don’t plan 11 months out. I’m considering renting out my points but trying to find family or friends first. A little hesitant to post a rental ad on this forum or use a third party intermediary like DVC Rental. Still feeling out this space.

I bought VGC in 2010 and it’s nearly impossible to find a room there if I don’t plan 11 months out. I’m considering renting out my points but trying to find family or friends first. A little hesitant to post a rental ad on this forum or use a third party intermediary like DVC Rental. Still feeling out this space.
If you haven't already, include this thread from our Rent/Trade Board in your research:

REQUIRED READING BEFORE POSTING - DVC Rent/Transfer policies - UPDATED - January, 2022

You will find lots of good info on renting via the DIS.

Good luck with your research.

If you haven't already, include this thread from our Rent/Trade Board in your research:

REQUIRED READING BEFORE POSTING - DVC Rent/Transfer policies - UPDATED - January, 2022

You will find lots of good info on renting via the DIS.

Good luck with your research.
Thank you. I did read this thread and found it helpful. Now I’m also finding out there are other requirements to posting rental ads, such as being an active member for 3 or 6 months. Not sure if I have the time or energy to keep this up for that long before I can actively seek a renter, but I’ll give it a try.

Thank you. I did read this thread and found it helpful. Now I’m also finding out there are other requirements to posting rental ads, such as being an active member for 3 or 6 months. Not sure if I have the time or energy to keep this up for that long before I can actively seek a renter, but I’ll give it a try.

The posting and registration requirements qualify a poster for a fee waiver. In that case, there would be no charge for a DVC owner to post a rental ad on the R/T Board. If you are unable to meet the posing requirements or haven't been registered for 6 months, you can purchase a Rental Plan. Information on the various plans available is in the Required Reading thread. Since you just registered, you would qualify for the $59.95 GOLD Plan.

You are wise to explore your options now before you buy and find yourself needing to rent points. Good luck with your purchase decision. There is a lot of information to absorb! Feel free to ask more questions. You'll likely get many responses. :)

I keep watching the resale market while waiting for DLT release. IMO the resale price of VGC is too high. It would make sense since the price is determined by demand and supply, but just too high to me 😞 A good thing to me is that the price seems to start to go downward a bit seeing some listings are in the market for a long time as unsold and some recent listings are listed with a lower price. I’m looking forward to seeing DLT Direct price vs. VGC resale price at the time and it would highly affect my decision.

I keep watching the resale market while waiting for DLT release. IMO the resale price of VGC is too high. It would make sense since the price is determined by demand and supply, but just too high to me 😞 A good thing to me is that the price seems to start to go downward a bit seeing some listings are in the market for a long time as unsold and some recent listings are listed with a lower price. I’m looking forward to seeing DLT Direct price vs. VGC resale price at the time and it would highly affect my decision.
I just bought a small contract for $289.
If you want to stay there especially in a studio the only way is to own there and book 9-11 months in advance.
You could pay $900 a night or more including tax if you want.

My opinion is it will be superior to DLT since it’s next to the park and will have a balcony and is a beautiful resort.

If you use the search engine of all VGC available there are 5 with less then 100 points.
With that limited amount for sale and the only way to stay there is to own, $300 is a good deal.

If you use the search engine of all VGC available there are 5 with less then 100 points.
With that limited amount for sale and the only way to stay there is to own, $300 is a good deal.

Yes, that's true, but most of them is waiting for new owner for a long time. See my attached screenshot. I guess buyers are not in a hurry.

Those have not been there long.
Last week there were 2 Dec 50 points for $315 and both are gone now.
They go in a few weeks tops
I check it frequently since I just got my contract recently

If you look at the 4-50 pt contracts 3 are from the same person and can’t close till end of May the other 50pt can’t close till October

They normally go very fast and usually say full price only.

They normally go very fast and usually say full price only
That’s true for a small amount of points (not just for vgc). I’m not buying a small point btw. I’m interested in 150ish points.

Thanks for reminding me of the possible closing date. I will check the info of each listing from now on.

Today there’s a new listing with June/160 p/$240 pp. I think that’s amazing price but June use year is not mine targeting spring break. 😞

That’s true for a small amount of points (not just for vgc). I’m not buying a small point btw. I’m interested in 150ish points.

Thanks for reminding me of the possible closing date. I will check the info of each listing from now on.

Today there’s a new listing with June/160 p/$240 pp. I think that’s amazing price but June use year is not mine targeting spring break. 😞
Wow that is a great price!!

It’s gone already.
It was a great deal for somebody

We bought our VGC contract in 2010 too. I tried to post on here to rent my VGC points last year but there was not much interest. I believe I was asking $17/point. I offered the points up to a third party intermediary and they rented my points out in a few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter