Curious - Other Adult Kids and Senior Parents Traveling Together?

Wishful

Earning My Ears
Just being nosy :)

I'm 35 and travel with my 65 year-old mom and wanted to see if anyone else was in a similar situation and/or had any stories or tips.

I act like a kid and can run around the parks like crazy, but mom isn't up to that some of the time, understandably, sometimes I can't keep up with me! I wouldn't change a thing with travelling with her, but if she calls it a night and wants to stay in the room after dinner, I'm just too bashful to wander about by myself, and then if I do make it somewhere, the "you left your mom in the hotel" guilt creeps in.

I feel bad too sometimes when we both wait in line and I leave her so I can ride Space Mountain or the other coasters and fast, spinning, bouncy, "read the warning notice" rides, but she always holds our stuff and if it wasn't for her there'd never be any photos of me on the rides! She always has a big grin when she sees me get off a ride like she doesn't expect me to be able to walk straight (it only happened once...or twice).

There is a lot of stuff we do together so it's not bad. We are a fun team: she gets the AARP discounts and I carry the suitcases :)

She's a trooper though: she may try the trail ride at FW on our next trip. Now if I can just get her on one of those jetski/water mice things... :Pinkbounc

While I was growing up, my parents had a great disdain for everything Disney. My first trip to Disneyworld was, consequently, as an adult. I immediately fell in love with the place (recently becoming a DVC'er), and go about twice a year.
Needless to say, my mom is somewhat confused by this. She went to Disney a couple of years ago for a conference, and all she could say when she came back was: "there was music coming out of the rocks!" She couldn't even remember which resort she stayed in. :D
However!!!! She has promised to join me at SSR and let me show her Disneyworld through my eyes. I think it'll be great. She won't ride Mission Space, or Rockin Roller Coaster, but she has vowed to ride Tower of Terror (IMHO the greatest attraction, ever)!
She's 68, and my dad is 74; when they go to sleep, I'll stroll over to PI ;)

Boy, I could really use some help on this one! In May, I'll be going to WDW with Mom (who's 72). She's been once-about 15-20 years ago, I go yearly. She's been trying to get Dad to go with her, but he has no desire to go. She didn't want to go solo, so I'm taking her there for Mother's Day. Any tips?

Hello :D

Ambifins, that's sweet that you're taking your folks. I hope I can get a DVC membership some day so I can share too! That "music coming from the rocks" comment made me chuckle. My mom tends to have an interest in food - we live in LA and when we had APs to DL we were known to drive all the way there for the fried chicken at the Carnation Plaza...and she had to have the peanut brittle...

Simba's Mom - that'll be a great Mother's Day for your mom! Not sure if you're local to WDW or not, so don't know if you need lodging ideas, but I'd definitely make my restaurant reservations as early as possible! Use the PS calculator to see when you need to call in.

I believe EPCOT has a Mother's Day brunch during the Flower & Garden Show (which runs through 6-6-05) and some of the character meals should be fun too. Afternoon Tea at the GF is pricey IMO, but definitely special :D

I think the the Dis site has some of the 2005 events listed, including May, but Disney.com and wdwig sites have the 2005 calendars up with a few more spefic listings too.

I hope you guys all have fun!

The Mother's Day Brunch at EPCOT is SO VERY WORTH IT!!! I took my mom this past year and it was delightful. The food was great, of course. The music was beautiful and the deserts were AMAZING!

As an adult kid who often hosts her parents' trip to "My Happy Place" I have found it to be some of the most memorable times of my life.

I took my mom in 99, she was 60ish, also took DD and a youger neice who was 18 at the time. My DMOM walked circles around DN(lol). DMOM had never been and really enjoyed her self. If there was something she didn't want to ride, she would sit on a bench and people watch(this women needs to write a book, she's 5 star when it comes to people watching.) DD(32) DS(30) and me(50) are leaving for a trip on Thursday and I don't consider myself SC yet(even though those AARP people seem to think so,they keep sending me stuff in the mail to remind me I'm 50 as if I need reminding:crazy: ) Anyway DD and DS are talking about staying at PI until closing and me i'll just stay a couple of hours and head back to SSR. Your mom will be fine if you want to stay out later. I'm sure she'll just kick back and read a good book or just relax a little. I'm taking DM back in Dec,05 and can't wait. She really enjoys Chef Mickeys and the fireworks cruise. Have fun. Susan

I travel with my mom 75 all the time. Some thing to consider is humidity, we tend to go off season to avoid it but if it happens to be when we are there we go early in the morning or late in the day to the parks. We take breaks and people watch, some of the rides are hard for her to do becuase she has artificial knee's so she holds my stuff and I go. She feel's comfortable to stay at the resorts by herself, once we went with 2 friends, she stayed at VWL all day while we went to AK (the hardest park for her to walk) she enjoyed her day, she went to the pool and walked around the resort. We just got back from OKw and never went to the parks. We resort hoped and did Downtown Disney.

I don't think this idea would work so well for families, but for those otherwise solo adults taking an elderly parent to WDW:

You might consider (as it gets closer to the date of your visit) checking this board and other Disney boards for other adults with elderly parents/grandparents visiting at the same time. Then try to arrange a meet. You may get lucky and they'll hit it off and be happy to hang out conversing with each other when you want to hit the wilder rides they can't do.

And before anyone jumps on me for saying "elderly" - I use that term because, at 52, I too would qualify for AARP but I still do the parks at a faster pace and ride ALL the thrill rides. So I use "elderly" to distinguish from those who are "borderline" seniors! :p

Although I'm not yet elderly at 56 ;) I am not a fan of the thrill attractions - if anyone will be with someone during the time that I'm there I'd be happy to keep them company (or maybe they'll keep me company!!)

POFQ 12/9-13

There are plenty of younger people who are not into thrill rides. No harm in that.

But many of the rides (<I>Mission:Space, RNRC, Tower of Terror</I>, etc.) are not good for most <I>really</I> senior citizens or those with health problems to be tackling, so it's nice to not have them sit alone waiting for others who <I>are</I> into the thrills. ;)

I will be at WDW with my senior parents from 12/4-12/12!! Dad is 65, mom is 63. They are really geeked to go and have started walking to really get their legs in shape by the time we get there. :D I love travelling with my mom especially. Don't feel bad about leaving mom to sit while you do the "thrill" stuff. If she's anything like my parents, they LOVE sitting in the shade and people watching. She'll also probably enjoy the walking break. And go explore!!! I went down to Downtown Disney alone.. it was fun just to walk around! I went to Pleasure Island and walked around. I wasn't really into the bar thing alone, but I did enjoy walking around and exploring. :tongue: So if mom turns in early - go out & do the town. Heck, maybe you can meet some people here & meet up... actually that's not a bad idea for myself! All I know is last time I was at Disney, I was WIPED OUT by the time I got to my room each night!! LOL.. this time I have 7 days though... Have fun with mom!! Yeah seniors! :tongue:

Originally posted by Scrappymags
I will be at WDW with my senior parents from 12/4-12/12!! Dad is 65, mom is 63. Yeah seniors! :tongue:

Maggie, you have me laughing right now! I think of seniors at around age 70-75 and up....but maybe that's because I am now 56 and "senior citizen" sounds mighty far away and certainly not anything to do with me!! :) :) I think my friend who is 64 would drop if anyone called her senior!!

I don't know if baby boomers are ready to be called seniors!

Toooo cute!!

Thanks for the smile today!!
:sunny: :wave2:

Originally posted by BaciBecky
I think of seniors at around age 70-75 and up....but maybe that's because I am now 56 and "senior citizen" sounds mighty far away and certainly not anything to do with me!! :) :) I think my friend who is 64 would drop if anyone called her senior!!

Glad to get ya laughing!! Don't have your friend drop!!! My parents, since they tend to get the "senior discount" now have bridged that senior age gap. LOL.. so I razz them pretty good now that they call themselves "seniors". They are ordering "senior portions" too... LOL.. Although me being a Weight Watcher I WISH I could get senior portions! I seriously LOVE my cool, hip senior parents! My parents are such great people. I mean - how many 30 yr old single women travel with their senior parents? :tongue:

My daughter, age 32, would travel with me - IF one of us did not have to be available to care for our senior ;) Maltese.

We've gone to Europe together and would probably travel now and then..even to Disney...if not for little Jackie.

Sooo, you are not alone and it looks like others travel with parents as well. Only thing is my daughter would be wanting to relax and I'd be going strong!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

See ya at the Parks!!!:sunny:

P.S. I have to admit to not wanting the aarp card until I found out it came with some deals! I can get great rates at Westins and that means upgrades at the Swan/ Dolphin..no complaints here! :eek:

I go with my mother to WDW all the time.

She is 82 - and I have been taken her every year since 1989.

Until my knee surgery - she refused a wheelchair (WDW has them free to resort guest - on a firstt come basis. you get them at your WDW resort) - but I needed one -

anyway she was in the wheelchair more than me - she enjoyed it and that ended - "I am not that old routine."

So now we get one. Since these are the pushing type - well my back and arms end up hurting - and now I will only allow the wheelchair every other day - I need a day to rest - but it is great plan.

Mother had no problem with Splash Mountain (loves it more than me - I don't like heights) - Tower of Terror, most of the rides in Epcot - I am pretty sure she will love Mission Space - but the curve of Test Track will put her back out.

we goto have fun and we do~~~

bring a backpack with plenty of water. You will both need more water than you think. You because pushing a wheelchair is work, and her because the elderly lose water fast in the Florida sun.

It can ride on the back of the wheelchair - so the extra weight isn't on your back. (kept a fanny pack for your money, credit card, phone, camera)

In the early days - I use to leave her - but she now start crying....Yes I know just a gulity trip - I am paying for everything - she pays for nothing - but she won't be able to go shortly.

I drive - so the 9 to 11 hours drive - takes alot out of her.

plus Spicey and her don't always get along.....

hey mother loves just about everything at WDW!!!

now because of work - we have also gone to Willamburgs, Va and Hilton Head, SC - but she like I prefer WDW!!!

Hey <I>spiceycat</I> - - You're taking your mother on <I>Mission:Space</I>? :eek: This I have GOT to see! Can I come ride with you guys in your "capsule?" I'll be around so if you just let me know when you'll be doing <I>M:S</I> I'll show up. :p

oh yea!!!

I have been hearing from her for years - about wanting to go to space - well....

there is nothing to upset her back - the reason she refused to do roller coaster.

besides I really think she will enjoy it!!!

My (82 next month) mother is a former flight instructor and even used to sky dive, so she would love it, but . . .

She is Type 2 diabetic and, like many women her age, has osteoporosis. She still does WDW on her own two feet, but recognizes her limitations. At 52 I do <I>Mission:Space</I> frequently and even did a ride marathon on it one day. But due to the uniqueness of it, especially the G's during lift-off and a couple other times, plus a few "jerky" maneuvers in flight, I don't encourage my mom to go on it. She would not anyway if she read the warning signs. Too many people ignore them, thinking WDW "<I>Just wants to make it sound more intense</I>," and those are some of the ones who have ended up in the hospital afterwards (not over motion sickness, but <I>serious</I> problems - heart, etc.).

So I think it is WONDERFUL if your mother is <I>able</I> to ride it successfully at her age, and I would just like to witness the "event" to tell my mom about. :D

FYI: "Back problems" are also on the list of the M:S warnings.

back problems are also on Tower of Terror and believe me she loves it... she say if she read all the warning she would never ride the thing.

her back problems are more from jerky and curves - than straight up and down - so I am pretty sure she will be fine....

If not I will heard about it.

I made the mistake once of taking her on a ride without me pre testing it - BIG mistake - it was the 'back to the future ride' in US.... oh boy - she hurt - but I really don't think Space Mission will be a big problem. She is in (for her age) pretty good shape.

of course will she ride it???? I think so - she wanted to do tot again after the first time - but I have been on it twice already - three times were enough....

but she has been pretty brave so far - it is only the RR at the parks that she won't ride - because of the bad curves....

I'm also going with mom who's 63...first trip we really ever took together!
I'm starting to stress about all that walking at WDW for DM and me as I've been having a lot of pain in an ankle lately!
Any suggestions apart from the wheelchair (couldn't live it down...mom pushing me!)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter