curious, what is the best way to turn down a free upgrade? (car rental)

disneyberry

Dreaming of adventure
DVC Premium
i keep reading about agents trying to upgrade people because they ran out of smaller cars.

since it's usually just me and my bf travelling, we really don't need or want to drive around a huge car ("huge" for us means anything bigger than a Camry).

we've only encountered this scenario once, when Budget tried to upgrade us to a Grand Marquis, and that is just so unnecessarily big for us... when we tried to turn it down and get a different car, they acted like we were crazy or something, and gave us a hard time.

so... how do you graciously turn it down?
especially when they're all pushy... obviously 'cause they want to get rid of some of their bigger cars.

Simply and FIRMLY say "No, but thank you. The car we've reserved is sufficient for our needs."

If any car rental agent gives me a hard time about anything -- this includes fuel purchase option, upgrades, or (GRR!) purchasing THEIR insurance... I IMMEDIATELY ask to speak to a manager. This has happened to me only twice in over 12 trips to MCO. If it happens, explain to the manager what you want -- i.e., I want the car I reserved, not an upgrade -- and ask nicely that he instruct the agent on how to process this request.

Remember, no one can take advantage of you without YOUR permission (thank you, Dear Abby!).

This happened to me last Christmas at our local airport. They gave me an upgrade that I didn't want. I told them I would rather not take the bigger car but they had to give it to me cause they didn't have any of the smaller car available. So you can refuse all you want but you can't take what they don't have. Of course at MCO there are cars coming in & out all the time so I'm sure you can wait for a smaller vehicle if you wish but you would have to let them know that.

If they are trying to sell you the upgrade or anything else, just say "no".
If they are giving you an upgrade at no charge, take it. It is not going to cost you anything and you might enjoy it.

Step one, when they offer to upgrade for $5 a day tell them no!

If they don't have the small car you wanted, they will then give you what they have. As long as it is at least as big as what you ordered they have met their requirements. I assume that you could hang around the airport waiting on a smaller car to be returned, but that seems kind of boring to me.

Some of the budget web sites acutally recommend the strategy of booking the compact car just because they run out of them more. That is fine IF you can actually live with the compact, if you can't and you don't get the free upgrade you will be at the rental car companies mercy!

hmm... i hear what people are saying about, if they don't have any small cars left, i wouldn't want to wait around the airport too long either.

but, i have a feeling sometimes they just have an abundance of really large cars, and even though they might have a few small cars left, they still try to upgrade you.

oh, btw, i was referring to when they try to upgrade you for free.
hence the story about the agent acting like we were crazy for turning down a free upgrade.

both my bf and i have driven huge cars before (Towncar, Van, SUV) and we just don't like it, and don't feel comfortable driving them.

is there just no such thing as: if you reserve a smaller car, then you should be guaranteed a smaller car?

thanks for all the replies so far.

is there just no such thing as: if you reserve a smaller car, then you should be guaranteed a smaller car?
Didn't Jerry Seinfeld cover this one?? :teeth:

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Pinobi
Didn't Jerry Seinfeld cover this one?? :teeth:

hmm... i must've missed that one.
anyway, i changed the subject line... but now it sure looks weird... asking about how to turn down a free upgrade :crazy:

so, is it really true? that they've met their obligations as long as they give you a car at least as big as you reserved? even if it's like 3 sizes bigger or something?

It is rarely more than a one size jump.
They usually overbook, (some people make ressies and don't show). The Grand M that they tried to give you might have been their way to be nice.
If it is a free upgrade and it is bigger than you want, tell them I appreciate the offer but do you have something a bit smaller.
A Camary is considered, in some places, a full sized car. An Impala is also. A Grand Am is considered an Intermediate.
Just keep a happy attitude, tell them you would really like what you reserved, but, if you don't have it, you want the next size up ,not a Premium.

I really don't want to drive a land yacht that only gets 14 mpg.

There is no way I know of that you can reserve smaller cars and absolutely guarantee that size. They will do it with larger vehicles if you need to seat a certain number of people, but that is the only such situation I've ever seen.

If they say that they have no smaller cars, ask for a rundown of what they do have. Last time we got offered a big Lincoln Towncar, I was able to choose an SUV instead; still big, but at least it had better luggage space, and I could feel the road. I hate those really plush cars that are marketed primarily to senior citizens; I end up going too fast in them because I can't feel the road, and it takes too long to figure out how to do the simplest things, like turning off the d*** dome light!

I hate those really plush cars that are marketed primarily to senior citizens

I really do like the plush cars and I am far from a senior citizen, and I can figure out the dome light, it has a switch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter