Current or Future Aulani Guests

lovetotraveltx

DIS Veteran
Looking for best local Sushi close to Aulani. And, the best flavored pancakes :)

Also, anything to see in the immediate area? We are already doing north shore and 2 nights in Waikiki.

In Waikiki area besides Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and Swap meet, what's not to miss.

Can we hit Leonard's Bakery or other Malasadas on the way to Aulani?

What's best time to move hotels from Waikiki to Aulani on a Monday?

Anyone do Diamond Head with a guide? Cheap enough.

What LUAU have you done. Was all set to do Fia Fia and then it left.

What did you do for lunch at Aulani. Are their quick things like coconut strip, puka dogs, shave ice good?

We are 4 adults do Ama Ama and Roy's or just Roy's?

Did you do any exercise walks or classes?

What time do you need to show up for good spot at Starlit Hui?

Has anyone rented the 2 seated lounges with covers? If so, worth it? Are they just on the beach and how/when do you reserve?

How about catamaran to see Dolphins or Sunset?

I know some of this was covered but thought I would try to get people there or fresh on their minds or going in May to July and have answers in one place.

Thank you again for all the help I get on here!

Hi - we're here now so let me take a stab at some of your questions:

We had awesome sushi at Furusato in Honolulu. Little place that doesn't look like much, but it was great. I heard that Sushi bay in Kapolei is good. Can't remember if that's the one we went to a couple years back or not.

There's a malasadas truck off the freeway at the Outlet mall (?). Not sure if we'll get a chance to try it or not.

We did Diamond Head without a guide before and it was fine. If a guide is more informative and you're into that then it'd be worth it.

We've hit no traffic so far but aren't leaving the hotel till 9-10 am.

The new ULU Cafe is great. We've been sharing dinners from there but it's also perfect for lunch. So far we've eaten lunch out or leftovers in the room. Their pizza is doughy but good and probably best buy for the $$.

The first night we had a terrific dinner at AMA AMA so it's still great. We haven't eaten at Roys so I'm not sure that helps that decision.

We're not into luaus so nothing to chime in on that.

We did book the catamaran, and it was fun. Saw sea turtles but it's past whale season, and there were no dolphins. Lunch was nothing special but their pulled pork was good. Drinks were good - you get two alcoholic drinks per adult. I'd recommend it but not sure I'd rush to do it again at that price.

I just got back from the gym. Cardio equipment was pretty packed at 7 am, but weight machines were free. Last visit I did yoga which was great.

We haven't done Starlit hui yet. Last time we showed up 30 mins before which seemed a little early. We'll probably show up 10 mins before this time bc we don't mind standing in the back.

We haven't rented the loungers. I can't stomach the added expense. Doesn't seem like they give you any more privacy. There are some on the AMA AMA lanai, the beach, and by one of the pools.

Overall, the improvements since we were here two years ago are fantastic. We love the new infinity pool area and new bar, Ulu Cafe, etc. There are more restaurants across the street, and if we ever get back early enough we'll hit Monkey Pod for happy hour. We're watching our $$ a little closer this time so we're doing a little more eating/drinking in the room which is ok. We stocked up at target on our way in.

Feel free to ask anything else. We're hear till sat am.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for your comments!:)

Want to most breakfasts/some lunches in the villa....
Don't want to "go crazy" running from store to store, so what store do you think has the best selection of groceries???

Safeway, Target, or Walmart????

Read somewhere that there is not much sun by the adult pool? Is there a good availability of loungers by the adult pool? There are free beach umbrellas and loungers on the beach, correct??There was some debate that I read whether there was a hot tub by the adult pool? Is there a hot tub in the adult area or another area which is more family?

THANKS! Hope that you ENJOY YOUR TIME AT AULANI!:cheer2::thumbsup2

Can't wait for our May trip!

Don't mean to hijack, but could you post some photos of the cabanas by the Ka Maka Grotto area?

OP, I used to live on Oahu and hiked Diamond Head a lot. I don't think a guide is necessary.

@Jerseygal We are planning on going to Safeway. My cousins who live on Oahu suggested we go there for our groceries vs. Target or Walmart.... more variety.

We like Sushi Yuzu across the street. I think their sushi is pretty good for how convenient it is. Their other Japanese food is really good. We have also eaten at Ushio Teo next door at the Marriot quite a few times. They had updated their menu before our last visit, but it was also pretty good. I think they are in transition to modernize/westernize their menu a bit. In Waikiki, Nobu is good and their bartenders tend to be great mixologists. We have had dinner there a few times but have had drinks and appetizers/dinner in the bar more times then I'd like to admit. I like Morimoto and Doraku in Waikiki. All three Waikiki restaurants mentioned are a little corporate but they do a decent job. All of their menus are online, so if you are interested, I would check them out before going.

We mostly go to Aulani early in the morning (7:30-8:15) without a problem but we have gone a little later twice (9:00 and 10:30) without a problem. I think it should be okay up until an hour or two before the rush hour from Honolulu to the west side of the Island starts (before 2:00?). Locals could probably correct me on this.

We have enjoyed lunch and dinner at Ama Ama. I would say that if menu/price seems doable, it should be nice. I have heard good things about Roy's but because of allergy issues, their menu is a little difficult to navigate for our family. If you are at Aulani a while, I might do both, but from what I've heard, I would suggest just doing Roy's and then hit Sushi Yuzu/Monkey Pod or another area restaurant depending on what you are hungry for.

We have found that we like the new Ulu restaurant and often just have hot dogs and coconut shrimp, which are better than we expected. Daughter loves shave ice. Not a big fan of the pool bar food and even less interested in their menu.

Never been to Starlit Hui, but have had rooms overlooking it twice and watched from our Lanai. Unless it has become more much more popular than those stays, I would think that DVCtiff is correct here.

I'll leave the answers to your other questions to those who know better.

I have to agree that the sun's a little spotty over by the adult pool. Also no hot tub over there but the closest one is pretty close in the new grotto.

There are umbrellas and little tables at the new grotto pool. It's been pretty quiet over there. My new favorite spot.

Where's the best place to buy booze & beer?? Does Safeway have both?? Who has the best selection / price? (Where we live neither are available in grocery or convenience stores. We have "beer and wine" stores and we have county run liquor stores where you have to go if you want anything besides beer & wine.) You can see where my priorities are!! :rotfl:

I would not do Diamond Head with a guide, as there really isn't anything to "guide". Just alot of walking and alot of steep stairs towards the end. Just be aware that the parking lot is small, plus you have to pay to park; it fills quickly, but there is a very organized "waiting line", where an attendant watches for someone pulling out and directs the next car in line to the open spot. Make sure you bring at hat and some water. Don't wear a tank top unless you put sunscreen on your shoulders (lesson learned).

Analannie: all stores like Safeway, Target and the ABC store across from the resort carry beer, wine and spirits. Best selection and price seems to be at Safeway, but Target was reasonable.

We did Germaine's Luau a while back. Alot of fun (very "cheesy"), but I think I'd rather do Paradise Cove if the opportunity arises to go back. A little pricier, but you can walk there from the resort.

If you don't already have one, apply for a Safeway savings card on-line.

I found that the lounge chairs at the adult pool that provided shade most of the day were the most popular. the sun is very strong (even in January). There are plenty the get all day sun, too. The two level infinity hot tub is now Adults only. It is wonderful. There are three other hot tubs...one in the new family grotto pool, one in the main pool near where Off the Hook is, and another one close to the koi pond...it is kind of "hidden", you have to look for it on the resort map.

We could see the Starlight Hui from our room, but it did fill up. You get these nice big bamboo mats for the family to sit on. Movie night is in that spot too.

We actually spent no money at all on food at the resort. Fine dining in the area is very overpriced and we were happy with using the barbeque grills and going to places where the locals go.

Stop by the front desk and ask them for the map they have that gives directions to Safeway, Target, and all the little places to eat. Longs Drug Stores is a great place for island treats to bring home (macadamia nuts and Kona coffee).

Oh....in my opinion, those rental chairs are not worth it. There are free lounges on the beach, but the ones next to the umbrellas go fast.

If you walk past the Marriott on the beach, there is a wonderful cove where we have seen turtles and there are sometimes some wonderful snorkling opportunities there (Paradise Cove is on the other side of the fence). I think it is the fourth cove over. However, it is very hard climbing and there is alot of coral in the water, so caution needs to be taken.

I need to start planning our next vacation there. Probably 2016. have fun....you will NOT be disappointed.

Deedisneydream...THANKS for your helpful hints!:thumbsup2
We will probably be getting some groceries at Safeway and as suggested by someone on the boards, will sign up in advance for a Safeway rewards card..
Why not!:)

Thought that it was STRANGE that there would be an Adults Only Swim Pool Area and not a hot tub!:confused3:sad2: HAPPY to hear that Disney Aulani has made ONE of the hot tubs ADULT ONLY!:dance3:

THANKS again for the helpful hints!:thumbsup2:cool1:

Where's the best place to buy booze & beer?? Does Safeway have both?? Who has the best selection / price? (Where we live neither are available in grocery or convenience stores. We have "beer and wine" stores and we have county run liquor stores where you have to go if you want anything besides beer & wine.) You can see where my priorities are!! :rotfl:

:lmao:
I have the same priorities Annie!
Safeway does have both booze and beer..that is why we are headed there. If we were renting a car, I would hit Costco too (for mass quantities of beverages) , but we aren't...so it is Charley's Taxi for one stop shopping.

Does Charley's include a grocery stop? Or are you planning another trip?

Not that I am aware of.
They will take you to a store in the area for $10 each way. They drop you off, and you call them when you are ready to be picked up. The $20 fee is a lot cheaper than renting a car or having the groceries delivered.

Jersygirl...the adult only pool used to be called the "quiet" pool. I'm not sure why they did not put in another hot tub, as there is room near where the two cabanas are. My thinking is....the existing two level infinity hot tub had been over run by unsupervised kids and preteens using it as their own kiddie pool, complete with splashing and screaming. So this last trip we had was much more enjoyable and the cast members would immediately appear when there was an under-18 in either area. I am wondering if they monitor with cameras.

I will no longer use the hot tubs at WDW. It took me two months to get rid of a bacterial infection that I suspect came from the hot tub at BLT. I do not agree with the Disney policy about permitting children with "swim diapers" to be in a hot tub.

About car rental in Hawaii. We got a great deal thru dollar for $220 for 10 days. With free parking for DVC members it was well worth it. A little intimidating when driving and not knowing where you are going....but since this was our second time, it was alot easier finding our way around.

Oh....and the barbeque grills at the resort are gas!!! And they clean them thoroughly every morning. We picked up burger patties and steaks at Target and the community hall will give you the grilling tools. Baked potatoes in the microwave....some green giant steam fresh veggies....it was heaven.

We just got back from Aulani. It was an awesome week!

We rented a cheap car because of the free parking and were so happy we did. We hit up Target and Costco (best place to buy chocolate covered Macadamias, IMO)' but Safeway in Kapolei had the best selection of groceries and booze. We ate at Makihiki twice when we first got there and AMA AMA once but ate all other meals in our room. The rooms are stocked well enough to make a simple spaghetti dinner, hot dogs, fish sandwiches, etc. we saved a ton of money by not eating out all the time. dinner at AMA AMA was not worth the price, IMO. The location and view are great, but the food is so-so. When the waitress dissed my favorite food of all time (creme brûlée) she lost me altogether. We'll try Roy's next time.

Having a car was nice because not only could we shop for food/essentials, we could take off and go see a movie, head across the island to Manoa Chocolates, go to Diamond Head, etc.

As far as the adult pool area, I travelled with kids so didn't get to enjoy it. One day I will!

The Starlit Hui is worth seeing. Once. Parts of it were entertaining, but parts were comically amateurish. We left at. 8:30 when the "dance party" started. Ds's are 10 and trust me - these boys don't dance. Nor would they ever go to Aunty's, which was a bit of a disappointment for my DH and I. The free movies in the Pau Hana room kept them occupied in the evenings.

Overall we had a great trip and can't wait to go back.

Hello, I'm here at Aulani now and happy to chime in. I eat in my room a lot too so did all my shopping at Costco and Target, including booze. I love the casabellas (those lounge chairs with covers at the beach). DVC gets 10% off I call them the "poor man's cabana". I love how comfy the cushions on and the shade. Please note that if you need an umbrella at your lounger at the beach just ask for one. They will bring one from their inventory and set it up for you-free!
Starlit Hui is great. I did eat at Roy's last night at the bar. Great sushi roll and pineapple martini. $38 with tip. Pretty view of the golf course. Very nice staff.

Hope that helps.

Roys is on our list!:cool1:

1 son and my husband are golfing at KoAlina Golf club! Course looks BEAUTIFUL!:) Other son and I will just HANG! Younger son will be working at a Golf Club this summer before entering college...Maybe he will catch the "GOLF BUG"...:laughing:

I have been to Aulani twice in the past two years...
- There is a nice sushi place across the street from the resort in the plaza, about a five minute walk there.

- If you are going during December, they have a cute set up of Christmasey statues at the town square in Waikiki and have a show room of Christmas trees.

- My mother and I did the Luau that was at the Marriot next to Aulani and we both thought it was very cheaply done considering the high price we paid for general admission. Would not recommend it.

- Almost everyday we would eat lunch at the resort and have the food delivered to us pool side. And if you're staying in a Villa, think about going to Walmart or the market place across the street and make lunches in the room.

- My boyfriend and I did Ama Ama on night and we both thought the food was not that good and would of much rather spent half the money to do the buffet there. We both weren't impressed.

- We also did the sunrise yoga class and it was pretty neat even though I was absolutely horrible at it.

- And for Starlit Hui, we got there a good 20 minutes early and our seats were good. If you have kids, there are fun activities to do before the show starts that you should get there early to do.

- We have never rented the lounges but have done the cabanas. The loungers are on a grassy area right before you hit the sand on the beach. Idk if you can call ahead and rent them like the cabanas but they look really nice.

- We have done the Ko Olina Catamaran that is next to the resort and we loved it! Ours included a buffet and drinks on the boat and we saw whales and even got to snorkel in the middle of the ocean. The fish, coral, and sea turtles you see are amazing and the views are breathtaking.

HAVE FUN!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter