D23 2024 expectations (Parks & Experiences)

Having said the above, I do think there will be major announcements only because a lot has changed since the last Expo. Iger is back, investors' obsession with streaming growth shifted, and they've committed money over the next decade. I still wouldn't expect anything because, if there are big announcements, it may not be for the park, resort, or region of the world you might want.

A big thing that still makes a difference with WDW versus Epic Universe -- and I am very excited to go to EU -- is the transportation options, and while losing Magical Express was a bad move, if they can get a Skyliner expansion ramped up, that keeps WDW folks on property and they don't have to rent a car.

Epic Universe looks amazing, but unless you're staying at Helios for $900 a night (guessing,) you're off site and being bused in down the highway. It's not as immersive as the Disney bubble. If they expand the Skyliner to the neglected/overrun areas, they can build more DVC/hotels, ensure fuller occupancy, and hopefully divert more traffic via hopping to all four parks, instead of MK being overrun. I also can see them extending to MK as a stopgap for the monorail since the infrastructure for it is really showing its age and it needs capacity help -- unless they make monorail usage tied to Magic Bands/guests staying on site versus commuters or something. The new buses they introduced seem to limit ECV numbers, and it really bogs the loading/unloading process down a lot. The Skyliner is much more efficient pulling those dedicated cars offline to load/unload. With an aging population base, they need MORE ECV access and transportation options, not less.

UO/IOA, granted, we only have gone twice, but I honestly don't remember anyone with strollers, let alone ECVs and wheelchairs. I did have someone with a service dog for Kong (which blew my mind that the dog was so calm in that noise and chaos!) but WDW is the default park for folks who need some help and the stroller set.

I absolutely could be wrong, but this is honestly my biggest hoped-for announcement -- that actually becomes a reality! So much time is wasted on transportation, and I think a lot of folks tire and bail rather than park hop, so it just becomes MK as the default all the time.

I think this will be a better D23 than the last one in 2022 but expect it to still be quite muted compared to expectations. I am expecting the following things to happen either at D23 or prior.

Disney Cruise Line
Update on the Disney Global ship
More looks at the Disney Treasure

Animal Kingdom
Concrete Dinoland land designs with dates when it will begin construction. Not expecting a land opening date
More information about A bugs life closing and Zootopia refresh starting

Magic Kingdom
Country Bear Opening Date
Tianas Opening date
Pirates Themed tavern
New Orleans Square
New Blue Sky Concept for behind Big Thunder

Rest of WDW
I expect nothing for DHS or Epcot
Update on Poly Tower

Disneyland
Tianas Bayou update
Blue Sky Concepts about Disneyland forward

International Disney Parks
Updates on all foreign park construction
Announcement of a new land at one of the foreign parks

The only big thing I am expecting is for them to announce approved plans for the land replacement at Dinoland. I don't expect much out of a D23 besides being disappointed but this feels like something the last few years have led and will be their splash, so to speak, of the event. Besides that announcement, I only expect more blue sky concepts and updates on things either already in construction or finishing construction. So they can look good announcing the opening dates for Disneyland Tiana or Country Bears refresh and act like it was this huge announcement.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that last year was not an Expo. D23 does many events, and the Destination event every other year has not traditionally been a place where they announce anything major. I understand being disappointed in announcements at Expos to a greater degree than at Destination D23 events, because at least the former had set such expectations in previous years.
I think this will be a better D23 than last year but expect it to still be quite muted compared to expectations. .

Keep in mind that last year was not an Expo. D23 does many events, and the Destination event every other year has not traditionally been a place where they announce anything major. I understand being disappointed in announcements at Expos to a greater degree than at Destination D23 events, because at least the former had set such expectations in previous years.
Sorry meant to just say the last D23 for 2022 and not the destination one as nothing ever gets announced at those.

What ever happened to the Pirates of the Caribbean themed tavern announced at Destination 2023? Since it was announced I've not heard of any work being done. It seems to have disappeared off the radar. I, for one, am quite looking forward to this.

Last edited:
If we go off Iger's timeline of something new every year starting in 2025, I could see the following for the next 5 years:

Bugs Life retheme to Zootopia in AK
Test Track Refurb
Poly Tower Hotel opens

Dinosaur retheme to Indiana Jones
Star Wars hotel rethemed to interactive dinner theatre experience

Figment Refurb
Encanto House AK opens

Beyond Big Thunder opens
Hotel / DVC opens on Reflections land

Avatar Way of Water Attraction in AK
This is probably the most likely.

I think this will be a better D23 than the last one in 2022 but expect it to still be quite muted compared to expectations. I am expecting the following things to happen either at D23 or prior.

Disney Cruise Line
Update on the Disney Global ship
More looks at the Disney Treasure

Animal Kingdom
Concrete Dinoland land designs with dates when it will begin construction. Not expecting a land opening date
More information about A bugs life closing and Zootopia refresh starting

Magic Kingdom
Country Bear Opening Date
Tianas Opening date
Pirates Themed tavern
New Orleans Square
New Blue Sky Concept for behind Big Thunder

Rest of WDW
I expect nothing for DHS or Epcot
Update on Poly Tower

Disneyland
Tianas Bayou update
Blue Sky Concepts about Disneyland forward

International Disney Parks
Updates on all foreign park construction
Announcement of a new land at one of the foreign parks

The only big thing I am expecting is for them to announce approved plans for the land replacement at Dinoland. I don't expect much out of a D23 besides being disappointed but this feels like something the last few years have led and will be their splash, so to speak, of the event. Besides that announcement, I only expect more blue sky concepts and updates on things either already in construction or finishing construction. So they can look good announcing the opening dates for Disneyland Tiana or Country Bears refresh and act like it was this huge announcement.
If we go off Iger's timeline of something new every year starting in 2025, I could see the following for the next 5 years:

Bugs Life retheme to Zootopia in AK
Test Track Refurb
Poly Tower Hotel opens

Dinosaur retheme to Indiana Jones
Star Wars hotel rethemed to interactive dinner theatre experience

Figment Refurb
Encanto House AK opens

Beyond Big Thunder opens
Hotel / DVC opens on Reflections land

Avatar Way of Water Attraction in AK
This is probably the most likely.
Just to be clear, we are making guesses and opinions on this thread, right? Remember that plans are subject to change in reality.

And don't forget, we'll probably hear once again about the Avengers E-Ticket coming to DCA that they've been teasing for 5 years now.

A big thing that still makes a difference with WDW versus Epic Universe -- and I am very excited to go to EU -- is the transportation options, and while losing Magical Express was a bad move, if they can get a Skyliner expansion ramped up, that keeps WDW folks on property and they don't have to rent a car.

Epic Universe looks amazing, but unless you're staying at Helios for $900 a night (guessing,) you're off site and being bused in down the highway. It's not as immersive as the Disney bubble. If they expand the Skyliner to the neglected/overrun areas, they can build more DVC/hotels, ensure fuller occupancy, and hopefully divert more traffic via hopping to all four parks, instead of MK being overrun. I also can see them extending to MK as a stopgap for the monorail since the infrastructure for it is really showing its age and it needs capacity help -- unless they make monorail usage tied to Magic Bands/guests staying on site versus commuters or something. The new buses they introduced seem to limit ECV numbers, and it really bogs the loading/unloading process down a lot. The Skyliner is much more efficient pulling those dedicated cars offline to load/unload. With an aging population base, they need MORE ECV access and transportation options, not less.

UO/IOA, granted, we only have gone twice, but I honestly don't remember anyone with strollers, let alone ECVs and wheelchairs. I did have someone with a service dog for Kong (which blew my mind that the dog was so calm in that noise and chaos!) but WDW is the default park for folks who need some help and the stroller set.

I absolutely could be wrong, but this is honestly my biggest hoped-for announcement -- that actually becomes a reality! So much time is wasted on transportation, and I think a lot of folks tire and bail rather than park hop, so it just becomes MK as the default all the time.
LOTS of WDW guests use bus transportation to the parks. And it normally isn’t a quick option either, ugh.
I think Universal will do just fine with bussing from their many affordable hotels.

LOTS of WDW guests use bus transportation to the parks.
They’re probably guests staying at Disney World hotels that have neither a Skyliner, monorail, nor a water taxi station/dock (example: Animal Kingdom Lodge).
They better not announce more re-theming, more timeshares, or new cupcakes. With EPIC coming, I feel that WDW is in trouble.
It’s time for them to announce expansions expansions EXPANSIONS for their parks, especially Disneyland California, Disneyland Paris, Walt Disney Studios Park, Hong Kong Disneyland, Shanghai Disneyland, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and Disney’s Animal Kingdom! I know you guys wouldn’t like this, but in order to make these expansions happen (especially in great quality), I think Disney needs to sell off 20th Century Studios, one of the assets they obtained in their Fox purchase, and that unit’s library. Also throw Searchlight Pictures in said sale idea as well.

I know you guys wouldn’t like this, but in order to make these expansions happen (especially in great quality), I think Disney needs to sell off 20th Century Studios, one of the assets they obtained in their Fox purchase, and that unit’s library. Also throw Searchlight Pictures in said sale idea as well.
Okay, but keep the X-Men, Fantastic 4, and whatever other Marvel IP was there. I'm looking forward to Deadpool + Wolverine that was teased during the Superbowl. Also, Avatar since those movies print money. 😉

I think Disney needs to sell off 20th Century Studios, one of the assets they obtained in their Fox purchase, and that unit’s library. Also throw Searchlight Pictures in said sale idea as well.
I guess the questions that come to mind are; How much would they get for these assets? What parts of these studios and backlog would actually be up for sale?

As the previous comment stated, there is no way they give up the Marvel characters they just acquired nor Avatar. So what exactly is left over that would be worth it to sell from Disney's perspective, as well as what would a prospective buyer actually be purchasing? They have a Planet of the Apes movies coming as well as a new Aliens, so those franchises seem like they remain in house for now. The one thing that they could look to move would be the Blue Sky animation content like Ice Age or Rio but I would think it would be more pertinent to just license those offerings to another service unless they are happy with the engagement those titles are having on Disney Plus.

In a world right now where content is king, I don't think Disney should look to sell of content. If they are unhappy with certain contents performance on streaming, I would rather they license to Netflix or others over selling outright. Plus, with streaming looking to start making profits, and free cash flow returning to elevated levels, there is not really a pressing need to infuse cash into the business in the short term.

I guess the questions that come to mind are; How much would they get for these assets? What parts of these studios and backlog would actually be up for sale?

As the previous comment stated, there is no way they give up the Marvel characters they just acquired nor Avatar. So what exactly is left over that would be worth it to sell from Disney's perspective, as well as what would a prospective buyer actually be purchasing? They have a Planet of the Apes movies coming as well as a new Aliens, so those franchises seem like they remain in house for now. The one thing that they could look to move would be the Blue Sky animation content like Ice Age or Rio but I would think it would be more pertinent to just license those offerings to another service unless they are happy with the engagement those titles are having on Disney Plus.

In a world right now where content is king, I don't think Disney should look to sell of content. If they are unhappy with certain contents performance on streaming, I would rather they license to Netflix or others over selling outright. Plus, with streaming looking to start making profits, and free cash flow returning to elevated levels, there is not really a pressing need to infuse cash into the business in the short term.
Every TCF/TCS IP, except for the Marvel stuff, Star Wars stuff, and Avatar, would be sold off. Basically anything that is not in the Disney parks, which has Avatar. (I know Alien was featured in The Great Movie Ride at DHS, until it got replaced with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.)

EDIT: I forgot to say this: With Warner Bros. Discovery licensing their stuff instead of putting them on Max, it looks like content ain’t gonna be king for much longer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter