DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I would think that rider swap would have to be available for guests with disabilities … since it is available for non disabled guests
Well if Rider Swap is available for those with disabilities then it seems like, at least in a disjointed way, it would solve the issue for those with parties larger than 4. I think that would at least effectively bump you up to essentially a party of 5 (plus someone out of the original 4 getting to ride twice).

Rider Swap in its current form at WDW does work along with DAS. The DAS-holder must be riding in group 1. 2 others may wait with the too-short child and then ride after group 1. It is only available like that with a too-short child.

How any new version of Rider Swap may work has yet to be communicated.
Yeah, the question I was posing was as to whether it would be available “without a too-short child.” Right now you don’t actually need a child who is too short to get rider swap, although I think you do need someone in your party who is not riding.

Yeah, the question I was posing was as to whether it would be available “without a too-short child.” Right now you don’t actually need a child who is too short to get rider swap, although I think you do need someone in your party who is not riding.
At WDW — at least to this point — yes, a non-rider and if that non-rider is tall enough to enter the the swap is done at boarding. The digital swap requires someone too short (or a service dog). Up to now … whether that changes remains to be seen. The way it has been handled so far I’m not sure how it gets an extra person in.

At WDW — at least to this point — yes, a non-rider and if that non-rider is tall enough to enter the the swap is done at boarding.
Are you sure this is still the case? I swear I’ve seen swaps done at the ride entrance for rides without a height requirement (like HM where a child may be too scared to ride).

Are you sure this is still the case? I swear I’ve seen swaps done at the ride entrance for rides without a height requirement (like HM where a child may be too scared to ride).
That has not been the standard at WDW, even if the non-rider has a disability and cannot do the queue. But as I said…it may change but I haven’t seen any reports of any form of rider swap as an accommodation yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're posing a scenario where everyone wants to and is able to ride but there are more than 4 people so not all can be listed on the DAS. So for instance, a party of 5 with 1 DAS user with 3 others linked and 1 person not. The 4 people on the DAS could enter the LL when their return time allows, the 5th person could not. Are you asking if they could use Rider Swap so that 5th person could enter the LL after the rest of the group is back?

While we don't know how Disney will do things, that scenario doesn't seem likely to me. There would be zero reason for that person to be granted a rider swap as there's no reason they can't be waiting in the line. I don't see why Disney would go through the effort of reducing the number of people on a DAS to 4 if they were going to allow that number to be bypassed by offering RS to the rest of the party to also enter the LL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're posing a scenario where everyone wants to and is able to ride but there are more than 4 people so not all can be listed on the DAS. So for instance, a party of 5 with 1 DAS user with 3 others linked and 1 person not. The 4 people on the DAS could enter the LL when their return time allows, the 5th person could not. Are you asking if they could use Rider Swap so that 5th person could enter the LL after the rest of the group is back?

While we don't know how Disney will do things, that scenario doesn't seem likely to me. There would be zero reason for that person to be granted a rider swap as there's no reason they can't be waiting in the line. I don't see why Disney would go through the effort of reducing the number of people on a DAS to 4 if they were going to allow that number to be bypassed by offering RS to the rest of the party to also enter the LL.
Yeah, that’s what I’m posing. I agree that it doesnt’ help Disney on net, however I swear I read some verbiage somewhere, maybe it was WDW Magic Forums, where Disney seemed to be suggesting rider swap as an alternative to DAS and/or as a solution for larger parties than 4. I can’t wrap my head around why they would do that though.

I just think they should've given more notice. I don't buy the "plenty of notice" line. Disney World and Disneyland trips are sometimes planned a year in advance. Thousands of dollars were spent and were non-refundable before this change existed.
One of my children struggles with PTSD (as strange as it sounds, it has to do with access to bathrooms...long story), IBS, panic attack disorder, anxiety, and scoliosis. All these things combined make it very difficult to actively wait in line and be trapped in enclosed spaces for a long period of time.
I'm still hoping some flexibility is given outside of "developmental disorders." Our trip is scheduled for two days after the changes go into effect for Disneyland. We have been to Disney World countless times, but this will be our first trip to Disneyland. I'm hoping to find out more information with the change happening at Disney World first.

I just think they should've given more notice. I don't buy the "plenty of notice" line. Disney World and Disneyland trips are sometimes planned a year in advance. Thousands of dollars were spent and were non-refundable before this change existed.
One of my children struggles with PTSD (as strange as it sounds, it has to do with access to bathrooms...long story), IBS, panic attack disorder, anxiety, and scoliosis. All these things combined make it very difficult to actively wait in line and be trapped in enclosed spaces for a long period of time.
I'm still hoping some flexibility is given outside of "developmental disorders." Our trip is scheduled for two days after the changes go into effect for Disneyland. We have been to Disney World countless times, but this will be our first trip to Disneyland. I'm hoping to find out more information with the change happening at Disney World first.
My family went to Disneyland last summer for the first time after going to WDW 15 times. If it makes you feel any better, if you can’t get DAS for Disneyland Genie+ works much better over there than it does at WDW (at least in our experience). Return times just didn’t fill up as fast nor did they sell out as quickly as they do at WDW. You could probably get by with genie+ if you had to. The only downside is there are more rides over there that don’t have LL’s at all versus WDW.

Yeah, that’s what I’m posing. I agree that it doesnt’ help Disney on net, however I swear I read some verbiage somewhere, maybe it was WDW Magic Forums, where Disney seemed to be suggesting rider swap as an alternative to DAS and/or as a solution for larger parties than 4. I can’t wrap my head around why they would do that though.
For when parties use standby, not LL via DAS. Most of the party goes thru the normal standby line, then the guest that needs the RS (plus 1 only other guest probably) goes thru LL.

That is, if they indeed use the LL for returning guests, we don't know if they will.

DL's website does suggest RS as an accommodation if someone cannot wait in the queue and it has been rumored that that will be an accommodation offered at WDW for those who no longer qualify for DAS and cannot wait in the queue itself. Someone in the party would still be waiting in the standby line though in order for someone in the party to wait outside the line and qualify for RS. For an individual with a DAS, they are already being accommodated by the DAS. There would be no need for a RS to be issued.

The suggestion of RS as an option for larger parties I don't think is meant to be construed as a suggested or even possible way to bypass the 4 person limit on DAS. I think that's just referring to people who no longer qualify for DAS. If you have enough people in your party, then the individual who is unable to wait in the line could potentially wait outside it while everyone else waits in standby, then the individual waiting outside the line could ride through LL. The "larger party" aspect refers to the idea that RS wouldn't work for many smaller parties if there's not an extra adult in the group able to wait in standby (like single riders, an adult with a couple of kids, a party of 2 adults and the person needing to wait outside the line needs the assistance of the other person so they can't be separated, etc).

Im super concerned about the family limit for us. We are a family five. Me, my husband, my son Das holder. And my parents. My son would have to have his grandparents. They live with us because he cant be separated. I could always leave my self off and just not ride anything. Or possibly by genie+ and try to use it on some of the rides? Honestly i have no clue how that works or even if you gould get a return time the same time as the das. Anyone with any experience on using genie to ride with party.
DAS can be used any time after the waiting period. Genie+ is a set hour window. So if you save your DAS selections to match the Genie+ window you could ride together.

You may have seen the Disneyland disability guide quote.

Attachments

• IMG_9072.png
    IMG_9072.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 21
There were some attractions where my group did rider swap… my nephew was tall enough to ride, but he is severely autistic and there were some things that we knew he would not do well riding, and the CMs were really kind about allowing us to do rider swap. That said, it might be that they made an exception because of his very obvious challenges.

Hi, I thought I would share my concerns. I am from the Uk. Last year I travelled to WDW I was a little worried purely because I have a disability that massively impacts every single day. I suffer fro many different symptoms one being that I have very limited energy. I knew I wasn't going to be able to do full on park days. I qualified and used DAS and for the short time I was in the park I could only manage a couple of hours at a time DAS worked so well as it let me go and rest while waiting for the ride time. I actually used the phrase Disney made the impossible possible. I had such a great trip and mostly managed to get the balance of activity and rest about right. (we even booked Caribbean Beach so it was easy to get from 2 of the parks back to the resort for me to rest) When I got home last May there was an offer on for Uk guests and if we booked last summer it made the holiday very attractive(I got dining credits and merch credits). I decided to book a solo trip for September this year (I had travelled with my mum last year who is in her 70s) I am meeting up with friends but will be solo for most of the trip. I booked the trip with the assumption that since I qualified for DAS last year I would qualify again this year. I have paid for most of the holiday as I booked the flights from Scotland to Orlando in November. Had I known there was a good chance I wouldn't get DAS on this years trip I would never have booked. I can't get a refund for the money I have spent so for which is well over $1000 dollars. I am so worried that I will have wasted my money. My life is very limited in terms of what I am able to physically do but nothing makes me more excited and happy than a trip to Orlando. I know nobody really knows what sort of assistance will be available but a wheel chair wouldn't help me if I am on my own and I suffer from concentration issues as well so I don't think it would be safe for me to hire and drive an ECV around the parks. I emailed Disney and explained all of the above and basically got the standard reply. I wish they would just accept documentation that confirms a disability. I understand why they can't. I just think Disney could have handled this so much better. I suspect this will be my last trip to Disney World on a very long time. Other Disney parks around the world ask for evidence and grant me the help for the very same disability so it's very disappointing.

Hi, I thought I would share my concerns. I am from the Uk. Last year I travelled to WDW I was a little worried purely because I have a disability that massively impacts every single day. I suffer fro many different symptoms one being that I have very limited energy. I knew I wasn't going to be able to do full on park days. I qualified and used DAS and for the short time I was in the park I could only manage a couple of hours at a time DAS worked so well as it let me go and rest while waiting for the ride time. I actually used the phrase Disney made the impossible possible. I had such a great trip and mostly managed to get the balance of activity and rest about right. (we even booked Caribbean Beach so it was easy to get from 2 of the parks back to the resort for me to rest) When I got home last May there was an offer on for Uk guests and if we booked last summer it made the holiday very attractive(I got dining credits and merch credits). I decided to book a solo trip for September this year (I had travelled with my mum last year who is in her 70s) I am meeting up with friends but will be solo for most of the trip. I booked the trip with the assumption that since I qualified for DAS last year I would qualify again this year. I have paid for most of the holiday as I booked the flights from Scotland to Orlando in November. Had I known there was a good chance I wouldn't get DAS on this years trip I would never have booked. I can't get a refund for the money I have spent so for which is well over $1000 dollars. I am so worried that I will have wasted my money. My life is very limited in terms of what I am able to physically do but nothing makes me more excited and happy than a trip to Orlando. I know nobody really knows what sort of assistance will be available but a wheel chair wouldn't help me if I am on my own and I suffer from concentration issues as well so I don't think it would be safe for me to hire and drive an ECV around the parks. I emailed Disney and explained all of the above and basically got the standard reply. I wish they would just accept documentation that confirms a disability. I understand why they can't. I just think Disney could have handled this so much better. I suspect this will be my last trip to Disney World on a very long time. Other Disney parks around the world ask for evidence and grant me the help for the very same disability so it's very disappointing.
I can’t even imagine how frustrating the unknown is for you right now… but before you let yourself feel a lot anxiety about it, I would maybe just wait and see what kind of accommodations Disney will be offering those who no longer qualify for the DAS.

As I wrote in an earlier post…

I have a Disney employee in my family and he and i were really surprised Disney just didn’t get rid of the DAS all together and then work with everyone on specific accommodations on a case by case basis .

I think by keeping the DAS in place but only applying it to a very small group they have caused a lot of anxiety and frustration for those guests who foresee themselves not getting it under the new guidelines.

People know that the DAS works for them and so they are attached to that “label”( for lack of a better word) even though the new accommodations might not be called “DAS”..they very well might still be exactly what people need to make the parks work for them.

But because the “DAS” is still in place, and many of those that used to qualify might not anymore… they have left a lot of folks feeling as though they are being “downgraded “ in accommodations.

If they had started from scratch with a brand new program of accommodations I don’t think the anxiety level would be as high as it is now…

I can only speculate (like everyone else) as to what the new accommodations will be, but I can assure you that Disney wants happy guests and they won’t people unhappy in their parks.

So if you are already committed to the trip … I would encourage you to consider waiting and doing the interview and seeing what specific accommodations they can offer to help you with your challenges .

If you have the need for accommodations, then I really think Disney will try to offer suitable solutions for you to still be able to enjoy the parks.

Last edited:
I can’t even imagine how frustrating the unknown is for you right now… but before you let yourself feel a lot anxiety about it, I would maybe just wait and see what kind of accommodations Disney will be offering those who no longer qualify for the DAS.

As I wrote in an earlier post…

I have a Disney employee in my family and he and i were really surprised Disney just didn’t get rid of the DAS all together and then work with everyone on specific accommodations on a case by case basis .

I think by keeping the DAS in place but only applying it to a very small group they have caused a lot of anxiety and frustration for those guests who foresee themselves not getting it under the new guidelines.

People know that the DAS works for them and so they are attached to that “label”( for lack of a better word) even though the new accommodations might not be called “DAS”..they very well might still be exactly what people need to make the parks work for them.

But because the “DAS” is still in place, and many of those that used to qualify might not anymore… they have left a lot of folks feeling as though they are being “downgraded “ in accommodations.

If they had started from scratch with a brand new program of accommodations I don’t think the anxiety level would be as high as it is now…

I can only speculate (like everyone else) as to what the new accommodations will be, but I can assure you that Disney wants happy guests and they won’t people unhappy in their parks.

So if you are already committed to the trip … I would encourage you to consider waiting and doing the interview and seeing what specific accommodations they can offer to help you with your challenges .

If you have the need for accommodations, then I really think Disney will try to offer suitable solutions for you to still be able to enjoy the parks.
Thank you so much. You have actually made me feel so much better. I definitely going to do the interview. I do trust Disney. They have always been amazing in relation to customer service. They were absolutely outstanding last year and thats what encouraged me to book this trip. I absolutely loved it when they said hi Claire as I entered an attraction. Such a small gesture but tis these types of wee things that make the experience that little bit more special.

There are so many negative stories at the moment and I guess I shouldn't read and believe all that I read online. I have been looking forward and getting so excited for this trip but naturally because of my condition this news has been a worry. I am just waiting on a doctor's letter coming through from my specialist so I can upload and get the Universal Disability thing in place! I am spending time at Universal as well!

I am glad my trip is not till September so it gives Disney time to get the new system if you like up and running and iron out issues which they are bound to have.

Thank you again. Claire 🤩

That has not been the standard at WDW, even if the non-rider has a disability and cannot do the queue. But as I said…it may change but I haven’t seen any reports of any form of rider swap as an accommodation yet.
We have done rider swap on both RoR and FoP when we were a travel party of 4+. My son is unable to ride those rides. He is an adult and tall enough. When it’s just the 3 of us at Disney, we only ride what he is able. I only stated my son was unable to ride & unable to be by himself.
Edited to add: we bought LL to go thru the shorter line so he wasn’t waiting hours for us to ride.

Last edited:
For when parties use standby, not LL via DAS. Most of the party goes thru the normal standby line, then the guest that needs the RS (plus 1 only other guest probably) goes thru LL.

That is, if they indeed use the LL for returning guests, we don't know if they will.
Right now you can definitely use Rider Switch if you are using the LL via Genie+, I’ve done that many times, so it’s not limited to those who are using standby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter