DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

??? Maybe I misunderstood your post.
The new rules won't go into effect in the parks until June 19th or 20th so people can register for DAS until May 19th and still get grandfathered in under the current rules. On May 20th the new DAS video chat rules go into effect for trips starting June 19th or 20th - don't know which date Disney will choose.
Actually, the new rules go into effect for anyone registering on 5/20 or after. Not everyone does pre-registration at exactly 30 days prior. It's possibly some folks will register on site on the 20th, or online for a trip in the latter part of May or early June.

Some rules, such as the 10-minute delay, will effect all DAS users as of 5/20 regardless of when they registered.

I know not to believe everything that’s floating around out there. #2 is concerning and not what we’re have seen before.

Unfortunately, yep it's going to be an adjustment period for both CMs and guests. Everything I have seen indicates that #2 is completely incorrect, and #3 should not indicate "by phone" as it will all be done by video chat. A well-intentioned but still mis-informed CM.

# 2 (that all DAS will expire on 5/20) has been going around on Facebook since April 9 when the first announcement came out. I THINK it was just made up by someone based on Disney's starting date.
This actually sounds more like what the plaids are saying at DLR regarding DAS attached to MKs. Two different plaids on two separate visits have told me that my DAS is now only good for 30 days (not 60 days like before) and that all MK DAS renewals will expire on 6/17 (the day before the new program rolls out). Starting 6/18, all renewals will have to be made either online or at the esplanade location (assumed to be one of the Harbor side ticket booths, but not yet officially confirmed) and will be made under the new rules.

This actually sounds more like what the plaids are saying at DLR regarding DAS attached to MKs. Two different plaids on two separate visits have told me that my DAS is now only good for 30 days (not 60 days like before) and that all MK DAS renewals will expire on 6/17 (the day before the new program rolls out). Starting 6/18, all renewals will have to be made either online or at the esplanade location (assumed to be one of the Harbor side ticket booths, but not yet officially confirmed) and will be made under the new rules.
Huh. Guess we’ll stay tuned for a report from a WDW AP applying for DAS soon. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if they’re handled differently in the transition (more lenient than DLR) but in case they aren’t this is a good heads up.

Renewed DAS today. Informed it would be good for… 30 days I think the CM said. Was asked 0 questions. CM also informed me that in the future it will be done via app only, or if I did visit Guest services, they would hand a device to me connected to the virtual team who handles das.

Fwiw, I’m visually impaired. I wear a badge or button, very dark glasses, sometimes use a cane, and usually have a guide with me. I can see outside at long distance only during the daylight, but it’s quite terrible inside. I usually just go on the rides for my guide, lol. I’m not expecting DAS will change for me, but the wording emphasis on developmental disabilities has me concerned.

I am slightly confused but the gist of what I am understanding is for me a hearing impaired individual there is no great impact as Disney has left it for me to navigate on my own. It’s fine but I just don’t understand the need to make it more difficult in general.

That was me that was given the above information. Our trip is scheduled for May 11th through May 16th with the 12th,13th, and 14th being park days if all goes well. I called on April 14th and was told the DAS would end on May 14th or I would have to call back. Since we are not planning a park day on the 15th I let it go, although we do have the 4 day 4 park tickets so we could change our minds.

I will update after the trip if the DAS was still active on the 16th if I can tell. BTW, DS28 is nonverbal autistic. Didn’t have any problems getting approved for the DAS but they did ask more questions than on previous trips. We only go every year or two for 2 park days. We have eliminated quite a bit to still make it work. This is the first time in many years that we are going to try 3 parks again. Usually we skip AK and DHS. Tomorrowland didn’t make the cut either. With the larger crowds and changes in disability passes, we just keep cutting down what we do to make it manageable.
Great info!

Based on what’s been posted here, it seems to me the most likely distinction is whether or not your trip occurs before May 20.

Trips prior to May 20 are subject to all the current rules you see posted on the site. That includes the DAS being good for only 30 days from your registration day.

For trips after May 20, it seems to be a hybrid of the new and old rules. Length of your ticket for standard tickets, 30 days from your first park day for AP’s.

Has anyone seen a post that would contradict that assessment?

Huh. Guess we’ll stay tuned for a report from a WDW AP applying for DAS soon. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if they’re handled differently in the transition (more lenient than DLR) but in case they aren’t this is a good heads up.
WDW Passholder and just applied last Thursday for a May 27/28 trip. Nothing different from past calls, booked advance selections, and they said the pass was good though June 25th.

For trips after May 20, it seems to be a hybrid of the new and old rules. Length of your ticket for standard tickets, 30 days from your first park day for AP’s.
While true that folks visiting WDW May 20th or later may have qualified for DAS under a combination of old and new rules, the determining factor there is WHEN the individual does pre-registration. Pre-registration before May 20th is under the old rules, plus a 30-day expiration of the DAS. Those registering for DAS on or after May 20th will need to qualify under the new rules and may be offered alternative accommodations.

Length of DAS will also change for those who register on or after May 20th. It will be valid for the length of the ticket for most folks, or 120 days for APs who register for DAS on or after May 20th. The 30 days was an interim thing. Those who pre-register for late May or June trips prior to May 20th will have DAS valid for 30 days (I believe the website indicates "up to" 30).

HOW the DAS functions within the parks will be the same regardless of when one did registration. 10-minute delay, etc.

I would not be surprised if Disney handles the roll-out a little differently at the west coast parks. That roll-out is expected June 18th. Until then, all DAS issued for DLR/DCA is valid for up to 30 days.

While true that folks visiting WDW May 20th or later may have qualified for DAS under a combination of old and new rules, the determining factor there is WHEN the individual does pre-registration. Pre-registration before May 20th is under the old rules, plus a 30-day expiration of the DAS. Those registering for DAS on or after May 20th will need to qualify under the new rules and may be offered alternative accommodations.

Length of DAS will also change for those who register on or after May 20th. It will be valid for the length of the ticket for most folks, or 120 days for APs who register for DAS on or after May 20th. The 30 days was an interim thing. Those who pre-register for late May or June trips prior to May 20th will have DAS valid for 30 days (I believe the website indicates "up to" 30).

HOW the DAS functions within the parks will be the same regardless of when one did registration. 10-minute delay, etc.

I would not be surprised if Disney handles the roll-out a little differently at the west coast parks. That roll-out is expected June 18th. Until then, all DAS issued for DLR/DCA is valid for up to 30 days.
Re: the bolded passage - I arrive June 16 for 1 week and plan to register before May 20. Do you think the DAS will be good for the length of my ticket? I'm confused by the "up to 30 days" language. Is that 30 days from registration or first park day?

Re: the bolded passage - I arrive June 16 for 1 week and plan to register before May 20. Do you think the DAS will be good for the length of my ticket? I'm confused by the "up to 30 days" language. Is that 30 days from registration or first park day?
Many people have posted that they are approved for trips after May 20 and have been given length of ticket pass, even if the last day of their ticket is more than 30 days away from their registration date. I registered my daughter on 4/29 for our trip beginning 5/29. We have 8 day tickets and her pass was approved through 6/5 (last day of our trip). It's not *valid* until we enter the parks, so the "30 days" - to me - indicates that it would be good 5/29-6/28 *or* length of ticket, whichever is shorter - in our case, the length of our ticket is shorter so that is how long hers is valid. I was explicitly told I do not need to re-register after 5/20 and that her pass is valid through 6/5 - which is 37 days from the day I registered.

Since you plan to pre-register prior to May 20th, your DAS will be valid for "up to 30 days" which is counted from registration. In the past, the 60-day clock didn't start until your 1st park day, so it's definitely a change to tighten up how many "old" DAS are being used into the summer.

That said, pretty much every report I've read folks have been told 30 days. Some who pre-register 30 days from the 1st park day have been told it's valid through their visit (with the end being more than 30 days from registration). It definitely seems to be a gray area.

If your concern is whether you may need to re-register mid-visit, I honestly think WDW does not want that to happen and, regardless of their phrasing, the DAS is valid through the length of your ticket if it's beyond 30 days.

There is a poster above who was told their DAS would expire with 1 day left on the ticket... they are going to see what happens. I'm not sure anyone else has been told that.

The poster who was told their pass would expire before the last day of their trip only has 4 day tickets, though, and the expiration date they were given was 4 days from the start of their trip. So, length of ticket (which is shorter than 30 days). Their trip is 5/11-5/16, so it seems like they were given DAS for 5/11, 5/12, 5/13, 5/14?

do they do das registrations on Sundays? I think it’s 7 days a week but I’m can’t find the hours online to confirm.

But can’t a 7 day ticket be used any 7 days over a 10 day period? So it looks like they are limiting that usability? 🤷‍♀️

But can’t a 7 day ticket be used any 7 days over a 10 day period? So it looks like they are limiting that usability? 🤷‍♀️
I guess that poster's trip is also before 5/20, and the verbiage on the website says "For Guests visiting from April 9 through May 19, 2024:
  • DAS is valid for up to 30 days from the start of the registration. Once the service has elapsed, Guests will need to re-register."
Visiting, not registering. Further down in the FAQ it says:

"How long is DAS valid?

Answer​

DAS is valid for the length of the ticket or up to 120 days, whichever is shorter. Once the service has elapsed, Guests need to re-register for the program.
Please note: for Guests visit from April 9 through May 19, 2024, DAS is valid for up to 30 days, or when a new ticket is required."

I am slightly confused but the gist of what I am understanding is for me a hearing impaired individual there is no great impact as Disney has left it for me to navigate on my own. It’s fine but I just don’t understand the need to make it more difficult in general.
My daughter is deaf and we didn't qualify for DAS even under the old system, that's why my sister always told me to say ADHD (which I refused to do).

If you have other difficulties that mean you need DAS I suppose they must have a signer on the video call? Hope so anyway.

The poster who was told their pass would expire before the last day of their trip only has 4 day tickets, though, and the expiration date they were given was 4 days from the start of their trip. So, length of ticket (which is shorter than 30 days). Their trip is 5/11-5/16, so it seems like they were given DAS for 5/11, 5/12, 5/13, 5/14?
That poster has 4-day tickets and plans to enter the parks on the 12th, 13th and 14th, potentially also the 15th. The expiration they were told is based on 30 days from pre-registration last month (I think on 4/14), NOT based on the ticket (which is good for 7 days so technically through the 18th).

If you have needs that impact your ability to be in a standard queue environment, the hearing impairment won’t preclude you from qualifying for DAS. If the hearing is your only need, I’m not sure why you couldn’t be in the standard queue. I don’t say that to be rude, and maybe there is an implication I didn’t realize. Which is why diagnosis isn’t the determining factor but rather explaining the individual’s needs.

Sorry, I may not have been clear.

I was referring specifically to people who register prior to May 20th.

It seems based on the experiences people have posted here:

It appears that if you register prior to May 20th, but for a trip that occurs before May 20th, your DAS registration is good for 30 days from the date you registered.

It appears that if you register prior to May 20th, for a trip that occurs after May 20th, your DAS registration is good for the length of your ticket, or if you are a passholder it is good for 30 days from the day of your first park day. Both of these registrations can be done 30 days before the first day of your arrival at the park.

I can't say this with 100% certainty, but that seems to be consistent with what everyone who has reported on receiving a DAS in this thread has experienced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter