DAS fair or not fair

I hope I am just misinterpreting your post, but if not.. the point of DAS is not for people "might not want to deal with a long line at the entrance" rather it is intended for people who literally can't get through a long line due to a medical issue.

What I'm saying is that sometimes it's best for some with certain difficulties to avoid interminable lines and perhaps come at a later time when the entrance lines are shorter. As far as I know there's no way to bypass the entrance with a "return time".

What I'm saying is that sometimes it's best for some with certain difficulties to avoid interminable lines and perhaps come at a later time when the entrance lines are shorter. As far as I know there's no way to bypass the entrance with a "return time".

I am confused.. a 'return time' for a short line is exactly what DAS is. For those who are unable to be in a long line due to a medical issue (I am using that term somewhat loosely here), you are given a return time, at which point you go through a much shorter (Fastpass+) line in order to ride. I am guessing I am not totally understanding what you're trying to say. I was simply pointing out that said program is not for people who 'might not want to deal with' waiting in a long line.. I don't think anyone wants to wait in a long line. It is intended for people who physically can't (e.g.- things like Crohn's disease) or would have direct mental and physical issues if they do (e.g.- some kids with Autism).

I am confused.. a 'return time' for a short line is exactly what DAS is. For those who are unable to be in a long line due to a medical issue (I am using that term somewhat loosely here), you are given a return time, at which point you go through a much shorter (Fastpass+) line in order to ride. I am guessing I am not totally understanding what you're trying to say. I was simply pointing out that said program is not for people who 'might not want to deal with' waiting in a long line.. I don't think anyone wants to wait in a long line. It is intended for people who physically can't (e.g.- things like Crohn's disease) or would have direct mental and physical issues if they do (e.g.- some kids with Autism).

What I'm reading of bcla's post is that they are saying there's no way to dodge the lines at the entrance to the park, not the entrance to the attractions within the park.

What I'm reading of bcla's post is that they are saying there's no way to dodge the lines at the entrance to the park, not the entrance to the attractions within the park.

Doh!! That makes much more sense!! I knew I must have been missing something. My bad! :)

Yep. Certainly there have been recent issues at Disneyland due to RotR where the lines have been ridiculously long in the morning. And maybe still into the early morning. It might work better to come back at a time when it might take 5 minutes even though FP for the most popular rides might not be available or possibly in late evening.

My DW used DAS after a long-term medical event in 2015. Were cleared to go to WDW in 2016, and had no problems getting or using the DAS in 2016. In 2017, we had a poor experience with the CM issuing the DAS: the tone seemed to disbelieve our claims and experiences, I think in part because the specific accommodation was unusual (post-medical event, she has trouble waiting in dark spaces for long periods of time because her eyes adjust substantially slower than most) and in part because she presents as fully functioning. I know I was taken aback by the substantial skepticism in CM's tone.

As a result, we stopped using DAS after our 2017 visit (while she has recovered some, there is still substantial difficulty, but I can't talk her into it)...
The DAS system is imperfect, but pretty reasonable, and at least as far as our experience goes, the only thing that was really needed was better CM training.
I am sorry to hear about your 2017 experience. And I think you are correct in assuming that the problem could be addressed by CM retraining. I have encountered similar situations at DLR and spoken with several CMs about what can be done to improve/prevent these kinds of unfortunate situations. Most CMs don't have any medical experience or training, and if they don't have any first hand experience with disability, they really don't understand how insensitive they can appear to be. The CMs who were discussing this with me were very concerned and had no real idea of how difficult it could be for guests to ask for a DAS and how humiliating it could be. Just hearing about how an invisible disability could be harshly judged was really eye opening for them. If it helps you and your wife at all, please know that most CMs really are concerned and don't want to be judgmental or harsh. But if you do encounter that attitude, don't hesitate to put in a CM comment describing the situation and how it affected your experience and what could have made things better. The few times I've had to put in a comment about specific CMs who made judgements (or even comments) about my DAS requests, I've received very helpful responses from Guest Experience CMs who wanted to help. Disney does want to do better in this area, so don't hesitate to help them do so!

Most CMs don't have any medical experience or training, and if they don't have any first hand experience with disability, they really don't understand how insensitive they can appear to be. The CMs who were discussing this with me were very concerned and had no real idea of how difficult it could be for guests to ask for a DAS and how humiliating it could be. Just hearing about how an invisible disability could be harshly judged was really eye opening for them.

Thanks for the whole message, but the quoted part in particular.

FWIW, there's a reason we keep coming back to Disney year in and year out, and it's because for the most part, the cast members are wonderful. The worst of them are, in our experience, generally still better than the average employee at comparable places back home. I think the smoothness of our 2016 DAS experience (the CM who connected us was delightful!) combined with how our Disney experiences were just generally speaking was what surprised us so much by 2017.

You pegged our personal reaction to going in to get the DAS. DW is very much a fighter and has had trouble coming to terms with some of the parts of her disability (only one of which is something DAS can really work with and that we mentioned) post-event. And yet she definitely feels like there are people who "need it more." (This was very much a recurring theme with the members of her support group that she was with, too.) We used it a total of three times in the two years we had it, and two of those, I had to talk her into it.

I also don't envy the CM's task in this: in as short a time as possible, set up whatever elements of the DAS they can to make the guest experience work as smoothly as possible? Yikes. You couldn't pay me to do that job. I'd rather do just about anything else.

In any case, I don't want to derail the thread too far, but thanks again.

As having a son with disability, i think its very fair. My wait for a ride has not changed.. just where i wait. My son looks normal , acts normal .. but the truth is he had brain tumor that thankfull is gone now but left a lot of damage in its wake. He has to constantly monitor his body temp can not over heat or be too cold. .. so in places like Florida it can be really tricky with the added humidity. Plus other things
I do not want to explain ourselves im glad hippa exist.
Im guessing they dont have any laws like hippa in the UK.
I really want to be normal family i would give all the DAS , wish trips etc to have a normal son..
Whats not fair is having a disability that stops you from being a normal kid , teen or adult.

My DW used DAS after a long-term medical event in 2015. Were cleared to go to WDW in 2016, and had no problems getting or using the DAS in 2016. In 2017, we had a poor experience with the CM issuing the DAS: the tone seemed to disbelieve our claims and experiences, I think in part because the specific accommodation was unusual (post-medical event, she has trouble waiting in dark spaces for long periods of time because her eyes adjust substantially slower than most) and in part because she presents as fully functioning. I know I was taken aback by the substantial skepticism in CM's tone.

As a result, we stopped using DAS after our 2017 visit (while she has recovered some, there is still substantial difficulty, but I can't talk her into it), and we now just book our FASTPASS+ rides differently (we are probably among the few people who use a FASTPASS+ on the Epcot Nemo ride, and while often the lines are short enough where it would be unnecessary, it's a must-ride for her and we'd rather not chance it).

There was definitely an advantage piece (how much is debatable) to the DAS: we were able to use it for Frozen (which is about the boundary of uncomfortable for her these days) about a week after it came out and ate dinner during the queue of about 150 minutes. For any new ride like that, I can't see how they could make DAS a completely equal experience, and it's probably the most reasonable compromise they could come up with.

As far as the case goes, I've been following the case on the multiple threads here about it, and I think the plaintiffs are unreasonable. The DAS system is imperfect, but pretty reasonable, and at least as far as our experience goes, the only thing that was really needed was better CM training.
I’m sorry you had this experience but the problem is the Cast Member is expected to make a decision if a DAS is needed.
You decide:
A kid with diabetes?
Someone with airborne Allergies? Someone claustrophobic?
Everyone that ask?
If everyone that ask gets one the same problem will happen and the DAS program will get overwhelmed and not be able to accommodate those who really need it. But how should they decide who really needs it?

Last edited:
I’m sorry you had this experience but the problem is the Cast Member is expected to make a decision if a DAS is needed.
You decide:
A kid with diabetes?
Someone with airborne Allergies? Someone claustrophobic?
Everyone that ask?
If everyone that ask gets one the same problem will happen and the DAS program will get overwhelmed and not be able to accommodate those who really need it. But how should they decide who really needs it?

I hear that, I truly do.

At the same time, a CM isn't qualified to determine whether a DAS is needed. A CM is qualified to listen to a guest's stated needs and to determine what accommodations that the DAS provides are available and appropriate to meet those specific needs.

It's not as if the DAS is screening people out ("You don't qualify." "You do.") any more or less than the GAC did, at least as I understand it.

So -- and this is just my opinion on the issue -- in response to "DW has difficulty waiting for long periods of time in dark spaces," a compassionate response indicating that the following questions are to determine how best to meet those needs is fine. Questions clarifying how dark, how long, and what not are perfectly appropriate. Questions that clarify whether that issue is standing, sitting, or in other relevant positions is perfectly appropriate. If no accommodation that fits that particular issue is available, stating such would be perfectly appropriate. (The 2016 CM, for instance, said that some lines load in darker spaces, and entering the FASTPASS queue still might not be sufficient for her needs, as those lines are sometimes at 15 minutes or more, but that was the best they had available. Loved the care and compassion in this response.)

On the other hand, a response that implies, "Are you sure that's an issue for DW?" or "Is it really that bad?" demeans the person claiming the challenge, and is never appropriate.

Plus, if the purpose of determine "who really needs it" is to weed out those who would abuse the system, I would dare to say that it would not succeed in weeding out all but the most shallow of abusers, but would discourage those who derive needed benefit from accessing the park. Many would simply choose not to. Is that the decision you really want in the hands of a single CM?

Plus, if the purpose of determine "who really needs it" is to weed out those who would abuse the system, I would dare to say that it would not succeed in weeding out all but the most shallow of abusers, but would discourage those who derive needed benefit from accessing the park. Many would simply choose not to. Is that the decision you really want in the hands of a single CM?

Given the rampant abuse that would otherwise ensue, yes. Sadly a system of control would definitely need to be in place.

... It's not as if the DAS is screening people out ("You don't qualify." "You do.") any more or less than the GAC did, at least as I understand it...
This is where some CMs get into trouble -- they misunderstand the purpose of DAS and their role in the process, believing that they are the ones who decide who is and who isn't "disabled enough" to "deserve" a DAS. Um... no. That is not their job nor is it their job to assign or require a medical diagnosis to give a DAS. I've encountered CMs who really did believe that this was part of their job and I've met many CMs who understood well that it was absolutely not part of their job. The DAS system isn't perfect, but is does work very well when CMs and guests understand the purpose, the scope, and what it does and does not do.

I’m all for the DAS but if it’s not the Cast Member’s job to decide does everyone who ask get one?

I’m all for the DAS but if it’s not the Cast Member’s job to decide does everyone who ask get one?

The cast members listen to the need of the guest and what makes waiting in line difficult. From there, they offer an appropriate accommodation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter