Day 4 – DD Sweet Sixteen's Birthday at MK – Best Birthday Wishes ever

gtrist4life

Choose wisely
THE CAST

Our Group - Disney nuts and recently new DVC members
Me (The planner of all this, Age 39)
DW (Co-planner and voice of reason Age 39)
DD (Age 15 at start of trip, Age 16 at end of trip)
DS (Age 8 and overall good sport)

The Outlaws - Last time at WDW in 1996 with Our Group
MIL (Mother in Law Age 65)
FIL (Father in Law Age 74)

The Sisters Group - (Mom and Aunt M went with us last year, Aunt D and Rhon haven’t been since early 70s)
Mom (My mom Age 65)
Aunt M (My mom’s sister Age 69)
Aunt D (My mom’s sister Age 62)
Rhon (Aunt D’s daughter Age 42, has MS, but you wouldn’t know it from seeing her)

SIL’s group (Never been)
SIL (DW’s sister age 40 – Did visit MK once in the early 70s)
BIL (age 38, self proclaimed “Not a Park-er”)
Niece (age 18 months)
Nephew (age 3)

M&J – Brother and Sister in law from NYC (Have been a couple times over the last 10 years)
M – (DW’s brother age 36)
J - (M’s wife age 41)

Day 4 – DD Sweet Sixteen's Birthday at MK – Best Birthday Wishes ever

Not a great start to this day as about 3:00 am the alarm clock goes off in the unoccupied room next door. Not music, but the steady beep beep beep. Just loud enough to seep through the walls and wake us up after about 5 minutes of this nonsense, I call front desk and in less than 10 minutes someone goes in and turns it off.
When I actually wake up at around my usual 6:30 am I slowly get up and dressed and make my way down to the front desk. Have to check out/back in (using DVC points for last two nights of the trip) and also get 4 1 day 1 park tickets for one of our last two park days. In doing all this at the front desk, I remind them to please check our neighboring room to see that the alarm clock is turned off. I notice that there is a manager type CM around and he asks what special plans we have for today. I say we’re going to MK to celebrate my DD’s 16th birthday! He says don’t miss Mickey’s Philharmagic and to wish DD a very happy birthday.
Quick stop at Pepper Market for hot tea and lemonade and back to the room.
DD, DS, and DW are all getting up and ready and we hang a birthday sign in the room for DD with balloons. She opens her present from us, a Minnie Mouse Tennis T-Shirt (she plays on the High School team and this one took some time to find) and ten more Disney Dollars. I make calls to the other rooms for updates and reminders that we’ve got a PS at Cinderella’s Royal Table and to meet there at 1:15.

Off to the bus stop!
As we’re getting ready to leave I leave a tip and note for Mousekeeping asking for extra towels more later, then the Outlaws and M&J show up so we all head over to MK together. Quick stops at Guest services for DD’s birthday pin, then for a new pair of sunglasses for DW (Hers broke on the bus ride), then off to MP ( I think that’s the abbreviation??) What a great show! Loved the expanding screen and the effects in this are just enough to surprise without scaring little ones. After MP, we get FP for Peter Pan, then ride IASW and HM, before the FP time. After PP, we hit the tea cups, get a fast pass for Buzz, then have just enough time to see COP before heading to the castle. It’s just about 1:25 and the rest of our crew is waiting for us. I tell the CM that all 16 are here and she says “Wow you’re actually early” Seems she was impressed that all 16 of us can tell time. LOL Our actual PS time was 1:30 and we did not get seated until right about 1:55 A little disappointed, but knew that with a large group like ours it would take a bit of time. Anyway, Cinderella paid us a visit! Nephew fell in love, and DS got a kiss on his forehead ( which he immediately tried to rub off LOL ) DD was wished a very royal birthday and after many pics were taken she was wisked away by her assistant.

Seating was 6,6,4 at tables next to each other. Most of the food was tremendous and definitely less expensive at lunchtime. I had Bruno’s BBQ, DW had Chicken Ceasar salad, DS had his required hot dog, and DD had a seafood, chicken pasta. The seafood and chicken were good, but the pasta tasted a bit too different for our liking. A small, but very tasty, birthday cake was served with singing birthday wishes to DD. With the Mickey confetti around and gifts from her relatives and the royal atmosphere, it’s shaping up as a pretty good 16th birthday for a great daughter. One side note, BIL had stated at the start of the trip that he would not be coming back. Waiting for lunch this has changed to “We’ll bring the kids back when they’re 15”, by the end of the trip it’s “we’ll bring them back when they’re 8 or 9, out of strollers.” I’m betting they’ll be back before then. LOL

After lunch we all split up and our 4 go with M&J back towards Buzz. Our FP expired, but we walked on and only had to wait maybe ten minutes in the regular line. M came out on top with the high score, but all had a great time and enjoyed looking at the pics taken of us on the ride. None that we had to have though, so off towards the Timekeeper! I had thought that we had not seen this ride, but afterwards, I think we may have back in 96. It really is a very good attraction that I’m glad to see open regularly. The Outlaws met up with us as we went in and afterwards we all rode TTA. After TTA we decided to go towards Space Mountain, which was not in the Outlaws plans, so they went their own way.

We decided the line for SM was too long so we rode the Indy Speedway ride. M&J decided to wait for us. I’d never ridden this and I rode with DS and let him drive. It’s very much like similar rides at Kings Island, but seemed a bit harder to steer properly. I’d put it in the glad I rode it, don’t need to do it again category. We tried to get DD to direct us where she wanted to go, but she was in a flexible mood, so we started towards Toontown, but took a left towards Fantasyland again as M wanted to go to Frontierland-Adventureland. Rode Snow White’s Scary ride before arriving in Liberty Square. At this point, we’re getting close to where we need to think about where we want to see Spectro. So as we stop at the candy store by Country Bears, M&J decide they want to ride BTMRR, our 4 decide to park on the bench. It’s still a bit early but they are roping for the parade. DD and DW go up to Liberty Square as DD always has wanted a personalized parasol. DD comes back and says it’s going to take about 15 minutes and that DW has a parade spot saved for us. We get there and squat for our spots!
While waiting, I spot the Outlaws passing through. I chase them down and they watch the parade with us. Great spot for viewing the parade. Seemed like there were fewer/different floats than when we saw this two years ago, maybe not??

After the parade we cell phoned some of the others to see where they were. The Sisters were by the Christmas tree and after watching the parade decided it was too cold to stay for the fireworks. It was chilly but we all had sweatshirts/longpants on so we were hanging okay.
SIL was by the statue of Mickey and Walt and the Outlaws headed that way. Our 4 kind of hung out by the parasol station then I determined maybe this wasn’t the best spot for Wishes. I asked a CM where a good spot is and he recommended the bridge in Frontierland as one of his favorites. So we hoof it towards that spot and wait for the magic! This was a very good spot to view the show, not many people around and a clear view of the castle and sky. What a show!
DW said “The fireworks just kept getting better and better” It was a bit hard to hear the narration at times, but loved the music, songs, and timing! How do they do that? A perfect way to wind down a very happy 16th birthday at MK.

After the show, we leisurely walked to the hub and sat on the bench there to let the Main St. gridlock pass. Though we missed a lot of it, it was crowded at the MK today! Thought about staying a bit longer to see the mysterious “Kiss Goodnight”, but we were getting a bit hungry and tired and decided to head out. Loved seeing Main St. decorated at night. Very pretty. On our way out to the buses, Mickey was atop the train station thanking us all for visiting him and to see us next time.
Get back to CSR and stop at Pepper Mkt. I order the catch of the day at the Mexican grill and it’s salmon.
I ask how fresh and the cook says it’s cut every day. At 12.95, this good size piece of fish with salsa topping, served with rice and black mashed beans is probably the best value the whole trip. Very very good. DW and I shared this, she and DD got a couple of pieces of cake and DS got…….chicken nuggets. Surprise!

After dinner, slowly make our way back to our rooms and find that Minnie Mouse stopped by! She left balloons with Mickey weights and an autographed picture of her wishing DD a very Happy 16th birthday. Plus lots of extra towels!

Before we hit the hay, SIL and nephew stop by to see DD. Had a lot of fun with nephew just by blowing up a balloon and asking him to hold it….without tying it of course LOL. His reaction as the balloon bounced around him deflating was priceless. Easy entertainment for about 20 minutes.

Before bedtime I also made a stop to the Siste's room. I felt a little bad that they were on their own for most of the day and did not get much accomplished without guidance or directions. So I made them a written plan (with options ) on what to do at Epcot. I knew that we were going to start off in different directions and wanted to be sure that they at least had some steps to take to get them going. It did work out fine for them.

Okay, finally make it into bed with dreams of Epcot for tomorrow!!

Peace
G4L

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter