DCL Onboard Restricted Items Policy Updates: Decorations, Ducks and Ashes and More

CMontheseas

Oceaneer forever
This was recently updated onboard but not on the website yet, following shoreside visits to various ships so your mileage may vary depending on the crew members and their managers if they’ve been trained on the updates:

• Popcorn buckets and Beer Mugs purchased on previous cruises may be brought onboard. However, they may not be refilled.

• Guests are welcome to place magnetic signs on their stateroom doors with the exception of Concierge Guests on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.
    • Guests are prohibited from affixing any magnetic signs that carry any other company name than Disney

• A Guest may bring rubber ducks onboard. However, pool toys (e.g., rubber ducks) cannot be used in the pools.

Note: Guests cannot hide things, such as rubber ducks, in staterooms or public areas.

• A Piggyback Rider or similar child carrier may be brought onboard the ship; however, it cannot be used onboard.

In ports of call, it would be the Guests' discretion to use it.

• Gaming units such as Playstation®, Xbox and Nintendo that require TV connection cannot be brought onboard the ships. Virtual Reality (VR) headsets or similar video game consoles are also prohibited.

These devices are not compatible with, and cannot be connected to, stateroom televisions.
  • Guests may bring store bought collapsible lightsabers onboard.

Guests should refrain from bringing homemade lightsabers onboard, as they may experience disappointment and delay in boarding.

Any items allowed onboard are up to the discretion of the security team.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Lightsabers:
    • Lightsabers built at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge are not collapsible and, therefore, may not be brought onboard.
    • Guests should be encouraged to inquire about shipping services through Walt Disney World when purchasing the lightsaber, or make other arrangements.

• Disney Cruise Line regrets that the Crew Members onboard are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items. As Disney Cruise Line cannot verify the cleanliness of the environment in which pre-cooked or homemade food items were prepared, for the safety of all Guests and crew, these items are not permitted aboard the ship.

• Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices may not brought onboard.

• Hair-dryers, curling irons and flat irons may be brought onboard as long as they support the ship's electrical system.

*The ship's electrical systems are not able to support Dyson or Shark products, therefore, Dyson and Shark products may not be brought onboard.

• Guests who request to bring an urn of their loved ones ashes on the ship may do so. Make sure the Guest is aware there are no provisions to accommodate burial or ash disposition at sea onboard the Disney Cruise Line vessels or at Disney Castaway Cay. Please advise the Guest that the ashes cannot be released at sea or at Disney Castaway Cay.

Last edited:
This was recently updated onboard but not on the website yet, following shoreside visits to various ships so your mileage may vary depending on the crew members and their managers if they’ve been trained on the updates:

• Popcorn buckets and Beer Mugs purchased on previous cruises may be brought onboard. However, they may not be refilled.

• Guests are welcome to place magnetic signs on their stateroom doors with the exception of Concierge Guests on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.
    • Guests are prohibited from affixing any magnetic signs that carry any other company name than Disney

• A Guest may bring rubber ducks onboard. However, pool toys (e.g., rubber ducks) cannot be used in the pools.

Note: Guests cannot hide things, such as rubber ducks, in staterooms or public areas.

• A Piggyback Rider or similar child carrier may be brought onboard the ship; however, it cannot be used onboard.

• Gaming units such as Playstation®, Xbox and Nintendo that require TV connection cannot be brought onboard the ships. Virtual Reality (VR) headsets or similar video game consoles are also prohibited.

These devices are not compatible with, and cannot be connected to, stateroom televisions.

Guests should refrain from bringing homemade lightsabers onboard, as they may experience disappointment and delay in boarding.

• Lightsabers built at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge are not collapsible and, therefore, may not be brought onboard.
    • Guests should be encouraged to inquire about shipping services through Walt Disney World when purchasing the lightsaber, or make other arrangements.

• Disney Cruise Line regrets that the Crew Members onboard are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items. As Disney Cruise Line cannot verify the cleanliness of the environment in which pre-cooked or homemade food items were prepared, for the safety of all Guests and crew, these items are not permitted aboard the ship.

• Hair-dryers, curling irons and flat irons may be brought onboard as long as they support the ship's electrical system.

*The ship's electrical systems are not able to support Dyson or Shark products, therefore, Dyson and Shark products may not be brought onboard.

• Guests who request to bring an urn of their loved ones ashes on the ship may do so. Make sure the Guest is aware there are no provisions to accommodate burial or ash disposition at sea onboard the Disney Cruise Line vessels or at Disney Castaway Cay. Please advise the Guest that the ashes cannot be released at sea or at Disney Castaway Cay.
I like it. It's much clearer on restrictions than in the past.

Source on these? I know you said they weren't on the website yet, but where are these written out? Some of these are pretty big changes, so I'm curious to know where DCL has posted these (if not on their website).

Can anyone check to see if the guest services people on land are saying the same thing? (It isn’t fair if they’re telling guests Yes and then for Crew on board to have to let them down in person.)

Source on these? I know you said they weren't on the website yet, but where are these written out? Some of these are pretty big changes, so I'm curious to know where DCL has posted these (if not on their website).

This is information that is posted to be directly shared with guests but like the new Oceaneer age policies things don’t seem to be updated on the website right away 😕
(If I could screenshot or take a picture I would!)

So I wonder how they are going to interpret the no other company name for door decorations. Technically, sports teams are other companies. Movies that aren't Disney are part of other companies. Harry Potter is another company.

So I wonder how they are going to interpret the no other company name for door decorations. Technically, sports teams are other companies. Movies that aren't Disney are part of other companies. Harry Potter is another company.
There was also someone on my cruise in November that had a really cool door hanger that listed all of the cruises they'd been on (DCL and otherwise). Now technically it wasn't a magnetic sign, it was a door hanger. But I wonder how DCL would handle that . . .

Biggest standout for me is the popcorn bucket. I don’t want to buy a new bucket every trip. But I guess they can’t make money if I reuse the previous one.
They might be willing to refill it if you "buy" a new bucket the first time or something.

Can anyone check to see if the guest services people on land are saying the same thing? (It isn’t fair if they’re telling guests Yes and then for Crew on board to have to let them down in person.)
They just say anything they want. Some are apparently still telling Guests to ask YA directly if an exception can be made for their 11/12 year old 😢

We’re a month from embarkation, and I just received an email from DCL with links to the packing list as well as the prohibited items list. As expected, the prohibited items list is no where near as detailed or specific as in post #1. I’m glad I follow this DISboards forum!

I'm surprised there's no uproar over the ducks yet. Has this always been a policy that's been ignored (like the popcorn bucket refills) or is it new?

This is information that is posted to be directly shared with guests but like the new Oceaneer age policies things don’t seem to be updated on the website right away 😕
(If I could screenshot or take a picture I would!)
...and on this one, DCL has not sent an e-mail to guests either, which they (now) did about a week ago on the Oceaneer changes. I appreciate you posting the guidance that has been shared with crew on accepted items/practices... in the short term, yes, this could lead to interesting conversations between CMs and guests as the guidance to CMs does not perfectly match the guidance to guests...

Whats with they Samsung 7 note prohibited? Im not familiar with it isnt it just a phone?
Have they been known to blow up/melt down?

Re: Popcorn buckets we always say we'll pack it to save costs but never have room. Still that
is the point of buying a refillable one. What happens if you bring back one that is identical to
the one being sold on current cruise?

Interesting changes.

Whats with they Samsung 7 note prohibited? Im not familiar with it isnt it just a phone?
Have they been known to blow up/melt down?
Yes, it's a phone, but one with known issues where it would overheat and catch on fire. It's actually been recalled (according to a quick Google search). Many airlines have similarly banned it for the same reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter