DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

That some of us really like the acts and grew up with this music. Plus the fact that the genre is getting representation on one of the most watched events on the decade.
And Rap is music. Just not your music. I don't care for country, deep rock, prog rock, most pop tunes, but it doesn't deny them their place in the musical wheel, IMHO.
We can agree to disagree. Rap is just someone talking fast and many (not all) about doing things that are illegal/immoral/etc. And almost no instruments or music involved.

I strongly disagree with you @londontime, but I still like you anyway mate.

Prince was awesome, so was Springsteen...

I don't really remember either. But then again, I freely admit that I don't pay much attention. I enjoy music but don't really follow any artists religiously. And I'm not much of a concertgoer. I've already reached Grumpy Old Man stage where I can't really identify any songs on the radio.

I do remember the U2 halftime show on the first Super Bowl after 9/11. That one was moving.

We can agree to disagree. Rap is just someone talking fast and many (not all) about doing things that are illegal/immoral/etc. And almost no instruments or music involved.

I think it does a disservice to any form of art to over-simplify it. You can find terrible examples of rock and country music, too--so many that make your ears bleed. But no one would want to take those examples and hold them up as representative of all rock music.

Rap and hip-hop is not my favorite genre, but I've learned to appreciate that there is a great deal of artistry in it as well. The musical Hamilton blew me away--it took incredible talent to put that together. If you'd told me several years ago I would have been watching a hip-hop musical about Alexander Hamilton I would have said you were nuts, but I loved it.

I don't really remember either. But then again, I freely admit that I don't pay much attention. I enjoy music but don't really follow any artists religiously. And I'm not much of a concertgoer. I've already reached Grumpy Old Man stage where I can't really identify any songs on the radio.

I do remember the U2 halftime show on the first Super Bowl after 9/11. That one was moving.

I think it does a disservice to any form of art to over-simplify it. You can find terrible examples of rock and country music, too--so many that make your ears bleed. But no one would want to take those examples and hold them up as representative of all rock music.

Rap and hip-hop is not my favorite genre, but I've learned to appreciate that there is a great deal of artistry in it as well. The musical Hamilton blew me away--it took incredible talent to put that together. If you'd told me several years ago I would have been watching a hip-hop musical about Alexander Hamilton I would have said you were nuts, but I loved it.
Well said Mark and while I normally wouldn't make generalizations...I have yet to hear any rap I liked. My son even got into several Christian rappers and while the lyrics were at least good, still not something *I* enjoyed.

Guess I'm getting old[er].
Get off my lawn.

Last edited:
Morning, Fellas! Just a quick drive by today. Had yesterday off for a dental appointment, kind of nice having a day off in the middle of the week. I'm am pleased to announce that my teeth are where they're supposed to be. Got some more cleaning and organizing done yesterday, but then an unscheduled inspection of the inside of my eyelids happened right after lunch halting progress for a couple of hours. Well, leaving early this morning, so cutting this short. Have a good day, guys, and we'll chat later.

TTFN

I'm starting to more and more often have keep working hours that are in line with the what Pkondz generally deals with.
Except, I don't get any added compensation for that added work.

I think I'm doing this wrong.

You'd make a fine diplomat...
Sir.

I think you may be working for the wrong government agency...
Sir.

Oh, and very nicely said...
Sir.

Good morning. I had an email this morning about the upcoming Disney Company annual meeting. I went ahead and filled out my proxy vote online. It felt great to click the "against" option next to Chapek's name. Just wish I had enough shares to make a difference. :rotfl2:

I'm starting to more and more often have keep working hours that are in line with the what Pkondz generally deals with.
Ah... the downside of being a salaried employee.

Guess I'm getting old[er].
Get off my lawn.

Hey, nobody says you have to enjoy anything. It's completely subjective. But it's always good to allow the possibility that something will surprise you.

I think I'm doing this wrong.

Sounds like you should get @pkondz to start paying you.

You'd make a fine diplomat...
Sir.

I think you may be working for the wrong government agency...
Sir.

Oh, and very nicely said...
Sir.

Thanks! I had a shot to make a point there. Didn't want to throw it away.

Good morning. I had an email this morning about the upcoming Disney Company annual meeting. I went ahead and filled out my proxy vote online. It felt great to click the "against" option next to Chapek's name. Just wish I had enough shares to make a difference. :rotfl2:

Yeah, I often do the same thing. Usually I vote against the board's compensation packages. It doesn't accomplish anything, but it makes me feel better.

Update on DS basketball team. We finally hit the wall last night. We've been hearing about the coach yelling at practice. We'd heard certain inappropriate words had been used. Apparently it got back to the school administration and he had to apologize to the team. After that though, things started getting better. More kids were playing. We weren't hearing anything negative about practices. And they actually played very competitively last week, particularly Thursday. I guess because they did so well on Thursday the coach cancelled practice on Friday. But that meant no practice before their next game on Monday. Which turned out to be... ugly.

Yesterday was DS birthday... we heard him crying in his room after he went to bed last night. We checked on him and he was upset and said that it was the worst birthday ever. Finally got it out of him that the coach was yelling at them in practice and basketball isn't fun anymore. He said he doesn't want to play anymore.

Hey Hey Hey
🐪 35 Funniest Hump Day Meme - Meme Central

Update on DS basketball team. We finally hit the wall last night. We've been hearing about the coach yelling at practice. We'd heard certain inappropriate words had been used. Apparently it got back to the school administration and he had to apologize to the team. After that though, things started getting better. More kids were playing. We weren't hearing anything negative about practices. And they actually played very competitively last week, particularly Thursday. I guess because they did so well on Thursday the coach cancelled practice on Friday. But that meant no practice before their next game on Monday. Which turned out to be... ugly.

Yesterday was DS birthday... we heard him crying in his room after he went to bed last night. We checked on him and he was upset and said that it was the worst birthday ever. Finally got it out of him that the coach was yelling at them in practice and basketball isn't fun anymore. He said he doesn't want to play anymore.

That bites Andy. Always hate to hear a kid say that but it's worse when it's your own kid. People like that coach have no business coaching.

:(
That's awful. No kid should be made to feel like a sport they love isn't fun anymore. For the love of Pete, these are kids, not pro athletes playing in the NBA.

That bites Andy. Always hate to hear a kid say that but it's worse when it's your own kid. People like that coach have no business coaching.
It's a tough one. He even said he still likes basketball and wants to be able to play, but he doesn't have fun and doesn't want to play.

There's a girl who graduated from our HS a few years ago who set like every school record as a point guard and went on to play D2 where she also had a ton of success. She has come back to the area and is starting to offer lessons on ball handling fundamentals (which is one thing this coach doesn't spend much time on) so we're going to have her start working with him and DD. Hopefully some time with her will help him improve his skills and change his attitude. I try working with him, but he never wants to listen to me. You know how it is, parents don't know what they're talking about.

That sucks Andy. Sorry to hear that. I think a chat with the administrator is in order or maybe try to find out from DS if any of the other kids feel that way. Similar to a discussion on groupme about teachers, they can have an extremely positive influence or a negative one. Unfortunately, the good don't get recognized often enough, but the bad shouldn't be allowed to continue being bad either.

If there are others and enough parents contact the administrator, maybe something will be done. Obviously, since the issue of swearing has recently been addressed, maybe he/she will be more likely to listen about other issues as well.

Man, that's awful. Is there another team/league where he could go? Or, as Doc said, there is strength in numbers if many of the parents are as upset as you are.

Man, that's awful. Is there another team/league where he could go? Or, as Doc said, there is strength in numbers if many of the parents are as upset as you are.
It's a tough situation... it is a school team so this is the team. There are other parents who are very upset and literally waiting for him to slip with profanities again or cross some line again and go straight to the school board. However, while he's ticked a lot of people off and yelled at and talked down to kids, he has been very good about walking that fine line to where probably nothing that will happen to him. And the fact that he does play favorites with his kid and a couple of others who are close friends... well let's just say there are about 4 - 5 families out of the 13 boys on the team that sit right behind the bench with smiles on their faces and would fully support him. One of which has close ties to the principal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter