DDP Causing Some Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEVERENOUGHWDW

<font color=blue>Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Unde
I (almost) believe that we are the only ones that do not participate in the DDP. The issue we are having (along with others that pay cash) is that people that would not normally dine at high end TS are booking like crazy and ressies for a last minute trips are almost impossible.

Has anyone else experienced this? When does this dining plan option come to an end? Why was this ever a good idea?

Hold back the flames it is an observation & a follow up to a conversation we had with cast members at CG as well as CG regulars.......The only place we didn't have a ressie issue was V&A's is that not part of DDP?

In Dec I wanted to eat at Cape May clam bake staying at the BWV called Disney dinning the night before nothing under 8.30, to late for me. In the morning before going to a park I stopped at the desk and asked if they could get us Cape May for dinner that night, he got us in at 5:40.

This is my first trip to WDW and I love the fact that the dining plan allows us to eat at these high end TS that we would normally not be able to afford. Not everyone is blessed with the money to eat at these places and it just enforces that Disney is a place where magic happens. I'm sorry that you can't get a last minute ADR because of my dining plan.....just plan it 180 out like we had to.

We dont do the dining plan and I have never had any trouble stopping by guest services to get a TS for the same day. We go to disney during the most crowded times, maybe we arent requesting the most popular restaurants but they are the ones we always enjoy. The only reason we dont get the dining plan is that we only put together a tenative schedule and really dont know where we will be on any given day.

I made reservations less than 40 days before our trip. I ahd not one problem getting in. This is the first time with DDp for us. I think it depends on what time of year too. But Disney is now keeping their resturants more full, and I'm sure that is what they most care about. Maybe they will make new ones or add new ones to the plan to accomadate more people as well.

I (almost) believe that we are the only ones that do not participate in the DDP. The issue we are having (along with others that pay cash) is that people that would not normally dine at high end TS are booking like crazy and ressies for a last minute trips are almost impossible.

Has anyone else experienced this? When does this dining plan option come to an end? Why was this ever a good idea?

Hold back the flames it is an observation & a follow up to a conversation we had with cast members at CG as well as CG regulars.......The only place we didn't have a ressie issue was V&A's is that not part of DDP?

I am so sorry that people like me who would "not normally dine at high end TS" are putting a cramp in your touring style. God forbid that Disney try to make experiences like this affordable and available to the average visitor!

Sorry to sound snippy but your post really irked me. It seemed that you were implying that those of us who would choose to use the DDP and enjoy the value it gives us are a "lower class" of citizens than those who have no problem paying OOP for expensive meals. With the amount of money that is spent on a Disney vacation I, for one, was thrilled to learn that the DDP would offer me a money saving option and think it was a great idea on Disney's part.

I know you said "no flames" but your comment does not just make the observation that the DDP has made it harder to walk up to TS restaurants, it implies that those of us without the funds to do it otherwise are the cause. I am sure there are plenty of people who can afford to eat at high end TS who utilize the DDP for the money it saves them as well. I am not disagreeing with your observation, just taking issue with the way it was stated.

My family used the DDP from jan 17th to jan27th and the only restraunt we booked for was the 'Hoop De Do Musical'. Every other restraunt we just walked into.... it was the quitest time of the year I know......

Sorry us 'poorer' people are talking up all your 'richer' peoples restraunts!

Thanks to all the savings I reaped from using the DDP, I was able to afford table etiquette lessons so I could dine in "all them fancy-schmancy restie-rants with all them uppity people." Now I know which fork to use and how to be all dainty and prim and proper. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Color me a bit irked, as well. There was definitely an elitist air to that observation that, apparently, a few of us do not appreciate. :furious:

DDP makes dining at Disney (which can be an integral part of the trip) affordable for everyone. And believe it or not...there are some people (me) who COULD afford to pay OOP for the same meals, but why on earth would I? Why wouldn't I want to save money?!? :confused3

We have used the dining plan twice now and loved it. I won't apologize for my use of the plan cutting into your last minute planning.

Disney is offering a package option advertised as having a cost savings, and I don't know many people who don't like saving money. It also offers the convenience of paying for most of our meals in advance - it's nice knowing most of our vacation costs are prebudgeted. Disney and the DDP guests are in a win-win situation, since Disney is filling their restaurants with some people who would normally eat counter service exclusively or offsite. It probably helps them with staffing as well since they know how full the restaurants will be. Why would they put an end to that?

I also enjoy planning our ADRs in advance, and when Disney started allowing the 180+10 bookings for resort guests, I was thrilled - regardless of the DDP. By the way - you're probably also competing with non-DDP people who are booking in advance to make sure they have ADRs. Not to mention guests on the premium and platinum plans. And let us not forget others like yourself who want to wing it. Nothing wrong with that, but it could affect your choices for dining.

While you might not get your first choice restaurant when making a last minute ADR, there might be other restaurants available. I know that I made changes to our ADRs up to 2 days prior to leaving for WDW and didn't have a problem. Flexibility is key - you either adapt or you might get turned away as others are enjoying their meals & vacations.

I know you said "no flames" but your comment does not just make the observation that the DDP has made it harder to walk up to TS restaurants, it implies that those of us without the funds to do it otherwise are the cause. I am sure there are plenty of people who can afford to eat at high end TS who utilize the DDP for the money it saves them as well. I am not disagreeing with your observation, just taking issue with the way it was stated.

I didn't think OP was trying to imply that everyone who is on the DDP would not be able to afford to eat at the higher end TS locations. If I wasn't using the DDP, I probably wouldn't sit down for a TS meal every night even though I could afford to. So I guess OP's observation is correct in my case. I wouldn't normally dine at the higher end TS restaurants.

I don't wanna put words in the OP's mouth, but it sure sounded like she or he resented the TS restaurants becoming more crowded due to the DDP.

S/he seemed to suggest that ending the DP would be desirable. Maybe the post wasn;t meant to sound elitist, but it sure came off that way....

We LOVE the DDP!!!!! We always add it to our package, in fact it makes it easier for us, we carry less cash for food, and we get to eat like celebrities at restraunts like Coral Reef, Alfredo's, I could go on and on. We refuse to eat all junk food when on Vacation and we always want at least 1 TS meal every day. We were just in WDW in June 06 for 14 days, and we had the DDP, and believe me it saved us a TON of money. And as for ressies...... everyone knows you should book those early, but even the normal person who books last minute trips should be aware that there are people like me who are on the phone 180 days before I go booking ressies for almost 2 meals every day. I LOVE DDP!!!!!!! Just for the record we ate at California Grill, Crystal Palace, Cinderella's Castle for the royal dinner, Alfredo's in Italy, Coral Reef, Garden Grill, Chef Mickeys, Le Cellier Steakhouse, Sci-Fi DIne in, Donalds Breakfast in AK, Tony's, San Angel Inn, I'm sure I left some out. And when I say eat like celebrities I mean the entire appetizer, meal, dessert, and they treated us like royalty, and they met every request we had from where we wanted to sit, to my special dietary needs. I met the chef at many restraunts! And I want to give a big recognition to Grand Floridian's Special Occation DIning who delivered Wonderful New York Steaks, Baked Potatoes, Beer, and Chocolate covered strawberries to our private Magic Kingdom fireworks Cruise!!!!! Did I mention I love DDP?

I am so sorry that people like me who would "not normally dine at high end TS" are putting a cramp in your touring style. God forbid that Disney try to make experiences like this affordable and available to the average visitor!

Sorry to sound snippy but your post really irked me. It seemed that you were implying that those of us who would choose to use the DDP and enjoy the value it gives us are a "lower class" of citizens than those who have no problem paying OOP for expensive meals. With the amount of money that is spent on a Disney vacation I, for one, was thrilled to learn that the DDP would offer me a money saving option and think it was a great idea on Disney's part.

To clarify we DO NOT walk up to TS restaurants expecting to be seated but for those of us who throw together a last minute get aways to Disney 4-6 times a year it is quit annoying. Plus they are going to start loosing people who actually pay for their meals....some flames back at you!

I don't wanna put words in the OP's mouth, but it sure sounded like she or he resented the TS restaurants becoming more crowded due to the DDP.

S/he seemed to suggest that ending the DP would be desirable. Maybe the post wasn;t meant to sound elitist, but it sure came off that way....

Sorry it sounded that way but some of us will be CHEERING when the DDP ends!:cool1: :banana:

We have used the dining plan twice now and loved it. I won't apologize for my use of the plan cutting into your last minute planning.

Disney is offering a package option advertised as having a cost savings, and I don't know many people who don't like saving money. It also offers the convenience of paying for most of our meals in advance - it's nice knowing most of our vacation costs are prebudgeted. Disney and the DDP guests are in a win-win situation, since Disney is filling their restaurants with some people who would normally eat counter service exclusively or offsite. It probably helps them with staffing as well since they know how full the restaurants will be. Why would they put an end to that?

I also enjoy planning our ADRs in advance, and when Disney started allowing the 180+10 bookings for resort guests, I was thrilled - regardless of the DDP. By the way - you're probably also competing with non-DDP people who are booking in advance to make sure they have ADRs. Not to mention guests on the premium and platinum plans. And let us not forget others like yourself who want to wing it. Nothing wrong with that, but it could affect your choices for dining.

While you might not get your first choice restaurant when making a last minute ADR, there might be other restaurants available. I know that I made changes to our ADRs up to 2 days prior to leaving for WDW and didn't have a problem. Flexibility is key - you either adapt or you might get turned away as others are enjoying their meals & vacations.
We don't "wing it"......it is nice to just say let's fly down this weekend. Our 10 days every year are reserved far in advance. Luckily we have now found a concierge that will accomadate us!!!!!

Well as someone who has never dined at any of Disney's high end TS I'm very excited to do so with the new DDP, so to me and I'm sure many others like myself it is a great idea. I probably would've booked maybe one or two ressies and paid out of pocket, but not eat every night at a TS which the DDP allows some people to do.

Also from what I've been reading in my endless planning for my most recent Disney Trip a lot of people have started making ADRs while they are trip planning too. Some because they want a great Disney experience and from their research are told to make ADRs 180+10 days in advance and do so regardless of cost. Also from all their research and others talking about certain restaurants it may compell them to make ressies to ensure themselves to have a table. So regardless of the DDP as more and more people go to Disney and discover or hear about certain restaurants then it'll be harder to get into them without a ressie.

As for when the DDP will end, the only way Disney will stop it is if they see that they are losing money. I'm sure Disney believes in the "If you build it they will come" mentality; therefore they snag people into coming to eat at their restaurants with the possibility of adults buying drinks that aren't included in the DDP or kids wanting even more snacks than are allowed on the DDP, etc. Plus from my understanding of the DDP is the only way you can get it is if you stay onsite or are a DVC member. So people who may have usually stayed offsite might be persauded to stay onsite now just to get the DDP to experience even more Disney which means Disney is benefitting more with that too.

So I guess a solution to your problem/disappointment is to plan last minute visits as much as you can and if you want TS then try to make ADRs.

Well as someone who has never dined at any of Disney's high end TS I'm very excited to do so with the new DDP, so to me and I'm sure many others like myself it is a great idea. I probably would've booked maybe one or two ressies and paid out of pocket, but not eat every night at a TS which the DDP allows some people to do.

Also from what I've been reading in my endless planning for my most recent Disney Trip a lot of people have started making ADRs while they are trip planning too. Some because they want a great Disney experience and from their research are told to make ADRs 180+10 days in advance and do so regardless of cost. Also from all their research and others talking about certain restaurants it may compell them to make ressies to ensure themselves to have a table. So regardless of the DDP as more and more people go to Disney and discover or hear about certain restaurants then it'll be harder to get into them without a ressie.

As for when the DDP will end, the only way Disney will stop it is if they see that they are losing money. I'm sure Disney believes in the "If you build it they will come" mentality; therefore they snag people into coming to eat at their restaurants with the possibility of adults buying drinks that aren't included in the DDP or kids wanting even more snacks than are allowed on the DDP, etc. Plus from my understanding of the DDP is the only way you can get it is if you stay onsite or are a DVC member. So people who may have usually stayed offsite might be persauded to stay onsite now just to get the DDP to experience even more Disney which means Disney is benefitting more with that too.

So I guess a solution to your problem/disappointment is to plan last minute visits as much as you can and if you want TS then try to make ADRs.

When we went to Disney in 97 they had a version of DDP (gosh we ate good that trip) -- Honestly I don't think DDP will ever end. There will always be a version of it being offered to Disney Resort Guest. It's a win win situation for everyone involved.

Sorry it's so annoying to you, we could afford to go without DDP and eat one TS meal a day, but why should we have to. It saves us a bit of money that we can spend else where in the park on other things, like suvonieers and a longer stay.

Oh and BTW our trip was last minute, I booked and paid a week ago and we leave in 6 days. We are going during a busy week and I got all the ADR's I wanted at all the resturants we wanted to eat. Yes had to play with times but I got them.

Sorry you couldn't get your ADR's , maybe next time try DDP or book earlier

Like I stated earlier we book all ressies in advance for the 10 day trip. Also our conceirge now handles last minute dining for us.....This entire DDP in my opinion is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter