• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDP is soo much worse!

I can understand the sentiments about it being 'limiting' in some ways. But it can also be freeing in others. Prepay and take the kids to every and any character meal they want without guilt or sticker shock.
The difference comes down to past versions having many more paths to success. Now it’s mostly just buffets, drinks and free dining. There have been serious changes over the years. Today doesn’t come close to how well you could work it previously in a variety of ways.

I used to be the one popping into DDP conversations to defend it. I’d share meal itineraries of ours that were fantastic values - very exciting popular picks with a large mix of experiences and food choices.

I’ll come back with specifics when I have time. There’s alot under the surface here.

I think free dining is the only way DDP can make sense.
I have to disagree with this. As a DVC owner I will book my first night using a different contract and then add dining for that one day. I get a cup every visit, so it makes sense for me. I arrive the 15th and will be there until the 21st. QS plan for the one night was $57. The cup is about $23, so $34 between 2 QS meals and a snack is a no brainer. A burger and Coke in the parks is at least $18.

I booked the regular DDP for my first night in May for $94 - $23 for mug, $57 for Hollywood and Vine dinner (because I would have AP discount if paying cash) and $14 left to cover QS meal and snack. And that is not including a possible cocktail with any of the meals.

I realize I am lucky I can do this because the average person can't.

I used to get the deluxe plan for years,
I always made out well.
With many places going prix fixe is almost easier now to just use my favorite rewards card… and the Ap / DVC discount…

but we all have to do our part to pay for Disney +, and the movie losses

I have to disagree with this. As a DVC owner I will book my first night using a different contract and then add dining for that one day. I get a cup every visit, so it makes sense for me. I arrive the 15th and will be there until the 21st. QS plan for the one night was $57. The cup is about $23, so $34 between 2 QS meals and a snack is a no brainer. A burger and Coke in the parks is at least $18.

I booked the regular DDP for my first night in May for $94 - $23 for mug, $57 for Hollywood and Vine dinner (because I would have AP discount if paying cash) and $14 left to cover QS meal and snack. And that is not including a possible cocktail with any of the meals.

Haha I was planning on doing that too (just worked out that way)! QS DDP for one night (split stay) and my family can use the cups for the remaining 9 days. 😉

The difference comes down to past versions having many more paths to success. Now it’s mostly just buffets, drinks and free dining. There have been serious changes over the years. Today doesn’t come close to how well you could work it previously in a variety of ways.

I used to be the one popping into DDP conversations to defend it. I’d share meal itineraries of ours that were fantastic values - very exciting popular picks with a large mix of experiences and food choices.

I’ll come back with specifics when I have time. There’s alot under the surface here.

Past versions (as in when I did it in 2017) didn't include the choice of an alcoholic drink. And it has gone from one snack to two snacks back down to one.

I am a pretty big fence sitter on the DP. It will make sense for me when I am there in 2 weeks. But when I come for a Tiana trip in the fall/winter it will likely not.

Day 1
Ohana $66.81
Casey's Corner $17.29
Starbucks roughly $6.00 (don't know the exact price but I find Disney Starbucks prices are the same as home prices just in American dollars)

Day 2
Hollywood and Vine $67.88
(don't judge it is the last character meal and restaurant I haven't done in DHS)
Ronto Roasters either $18.79
Starbucks $6.00

Day 3
Garden Grill $66.81
Connections Eatery $17.54
Starbucks $6.00

So without pricing in one alcoholic beverage I am minus about 11.90 to cost of the full DDP. And that is not maximizing QS or snacks. Just going to the QS I like and getting my venti cold brews. If I manage to find an agreeable alcoholic beverage for every meal, that will put me into 50 or so dollars to the good.

Past versions (as in when I did it in 2017) didn't include the choice of an alcoholic drink. And it has gone from one snack to two snacks back down to one.

I am a pretty big fence sitter on the DP. It will make sense for me when I am there in 2 weeks. But when I come for a Tiana trip in the fall/winter it will likely not.

Day 1
Ohana $66.81
Casey's Corner $17.29
Starbucks roughly $6.00 (don't know the exact price but I find Disney Starbucks prices are the same as home prices just in American dollars)

Day 2
(don't judge it is the last character meal and restaurant I haven't done in DHS)
Starbucks $6.00

Day 3
Garden Grill $66.81
Starbucks $6.00

So without pricing in one alcoholic beverage I am minus about 11.90 to cost of the full DDP. And that is not maximizing QS or snacks. Just going to the QS I like and getting my venti cold brews. If I manage to find an agreeable alcoholic beverage for every meal, that will put me into 50 or so dollars to the good.

You'd be surprised what a 4 or 5 shot iced venti caramel macchiato costs these days. Probably near $10 at Disney and should still be a snack credit.

You'd be surprised what a 4 or 5 shot iced venti caramel macchiato costs these days. Probably near $10 at Disney and should still be a snack credit.

I just get the basic vanilla or seasonal cold brew. Usually around 6 dollars. I spend way too much at the 'bucks. And on coffee in general.

I don’t understand this mentality. “I’ll pay way more for food because I get to pay for it ahead of time!” If you really want to prepay then put what the ddp is costing you on a gift card. You’ll have more than enough money to cover your food and most likely quite a bit left over for souvenirs. And you can avoid all the DDP restrictions. Eat where and when you want, order what you want, not be wasting 2 credits on restaurants like the Boathouse that aren’t that expensive.
I was thinking the same thing.

Ahh I like it!

We had a 2020 split stay with the first 2 days Deluxe DDP. Was going to be our first time - but that didn’t work out. Spreading the 6 double credits over 3 days would’ve been cool!

There used to be so many ways to use the plan that got good value. Very little left of that with this form of DDP.

Day 1
Ohana $66.81
Casey's Corner $17.29

Day 2
Starbucks $6.00

Day 3
Garden Grill $66.81
Starbucks $6.00

I won’t judge H&V! We like that place for the food and the terrific characters.

It’s just that today's DDP gets little mileage without the buffets and AYCTE. Regular table service in the parks and your resort is a challenge to come out close or ahead. Slim pickings now, very repetitive menus, lost a bunch of good 1 credit places that’ve turned to 2 credits, and boy the loss of appetizer with the onset of repetitive menus made a big impact. NY steak, short rib, pork dish, chicken dish, and string beans almost every time. DDP lost its shine over time.

I'm not clear what you mean about it being offered to the 'general public'. I might be missing something. You can get free dining now with a package. Sorry, just curious.
I believe it is just for Disney+ subscribers at the moment.

Food and wine with with 25 or 30 snack entitlements was awesome….
Yes it was. Esp when used on $7+ F&W offerings. The 2 snack credits per day included the extra snack credit that was given for the quick service dessert removed from the plan a few years ago. So removing that extra snack credit now is a definite loss and downgrade. Not being able to break a quick service meal into 3 snack credits is another big loss for those who love the festivals.

I stay at a value and won't pay the per diem upgrade now for the table service plan. It's not reasonable. I'm on the fence whether I'll keep my bounceback room offer or take the quick service free dining.

I've crunched the numbers and pay a bit more for the free dining with mandatory hopper.

For me, it will come down to how and where I want to eat on my vacation. I've done oop on the cheap with a few signature restaurants, one specialty alcohol drink every 2 or 3 days, some kids' quick service meals, no starbucks and skipped a few lunches. It was still a very good experience.

Ahh I like it!

We had a 2020 split stay with the first 2 days Deluxe DDP. Was going to be our first time - but that didn’t work out. Spreading the 6 double credits over 3 days would’ve been cool!

There used to be so many ways to use the plan that got good value. Very little left of that with this form of DDP.
Yes! I would do that, too! Loved the DlxDDP, and I hope it returns next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter