Debt Dumpers 2022

You're right. I hadn’t thought of that.
We stopped drinking, not strictly, when we quit smoking 26 yrs ago. We were afraid if we had a few, we’d get weak and then have a cigarette. After a couple years, we gradually a had a few drinks but realized we’ve kind of lost the taste for alcohol.
We’ll have maybe 2 each on a cruise but I’d never have to budget for it. Now my brother and SIL, whew! they could book another cruise with what they spend on drinking. To each his own.

We barely drink too, but I do enjoy trying some of the unique drinks when I'm at a place I don't need to drive anywhere. Lol.

anyone else running the numbers on their 2023 budget?

I've started considering sinking funds for next year, but I'm still trying to survive this year first.

I've started considering sinking funds for next year, but I'm still trying to survive this year first.
Sinking funds are the best! You can start off small with two or three and then see how that works for you.
When I was early into budgeting I found the The Budget Mom on YT and has some free digital worksheets to set up your sinking funds. My first one was for Christmas but now I have about 4-5.

i'm working on trying to figure out how much to adjust our sinking fund that we call 'reserve'. it covers all the odds and ends that happen only occasionally during the year-property taxes, all non life/health insurance, pest and lawn stuff, car registrations, propane tank fill :crazy2: ...it's just hard with the way things keep going up in price to get an idea of how much i should 'plump' it. i think i'll see if there's anything left at the end of this year to roll over and then decide if i need to up it or not.

Sinking funds are the best! You can start off small with two or three and then see how that works for you.
When I was early into budgeting I found the The Budget Mom on YT and has some free digital worksheets to set up your sinking funds. My first one was for Christmas but now I have about 4-5.

We've been doing them for a few years now and it's really helped with birthdays/vacations/holidays! I LOVE Kamiko! She's probably my favorite budget influencer.

We've been doing them for a few years now and it's really helped with birthdays/vacations/holidays! I LOVE Kamiko! She's probably my favorite budget influencer.
I love watching her real life budget videos - Trying to decide if I want my vacation/travel SF to be huge next year.

I love watching her real life budget videos - Trying to decide if I want my vacation/travel SF to be huge next year.

That's one category I'm beefing up for next year.
The other one is going to be medical. We've blown waaaaaaay over on medical stuff this year between my daughter breaking her arm and hubby having all his teeth pulled in a couple days. Definitely going to max our HSA out in 2023.

That's one category I'm beefing up for next year.
The other one is going to be medical. We've blown waaaaaaay over on medical stuff this year between my daughter breaking her arm and hubby having all his teeth pulled in a couple days. Definitely going to max our HSA out in 2023.
We had open enrollment the last couple weeks and I maxed out our FSA for next year too. It's just DH and I, but I wear contacts and he wears glasses and we've had a ton of dental work. We ran out of $$ this year in September.

DH's dental procedure is in the morning. I'm super nervous (as is he), but trying hard to not show it too much.

I'm going to end up being half a check short this pay period. Our LOA only covers past 7 days and we're both taking 7 days off, so pay is up to us. I figure us not having to drive up to work for a week and not buying his cigarettes anymore (has can't smoke so he's using that as his quitting point) will probably even it all out money wise.

Fingers crossed for a smoothe procedure!

DH's dental procedure is in the morning. I'm super nervous (as is he), but trying hard to not show it too much.

I'm going to end up being half a check short this pay period. Our LOA only covers past 7 days and we're both taking 7 days off, so pay is up to us. I figure us not having to drive up to work for a week and not buying his cigarettes anymore (has can't smoke so he's using that as his quitting point) will probably even it all out money wise.

best wishes to him. my dh had big periodontal surgery earlier this year too. if your dh's is anything like his i imagine there will be limitations for a good few weeks on what can be consumed and (at least initially) at what temperature. one of the things we didn't take into consideration was that most of the room temp and coolish soft foods tend to be pretty high in sugar content. as a result dh ended up overly dizzy and lightheaded (and craving something non sweet) so after the fact i had to run to the store and get him some smoothies that were more veggie based. once he got to graduated from liquid to at least soft food those envelopes of different flavored instant mashed potatoes were a godsend (and he went through a few jars of beef and turkey gravy as well :teeth: ).

take care and keep us posted.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dh.

Also, I really hope he is able to quit smoking. If he could see my dad with COPD dealing with so many inhalers and nebulizer twice per day and still short of breath, he would never touch them again. What motivated dh to quit was not health benefits but the financial aspect. In our local mall was a kiosk selling vitamins/supplements to cleanse the body of toxins and they had a sign saying that if you smoke a pack per day and instead saved that amount, over a lifetime it would be over $100,000. That was all he needed to see, and this was back in '96 when a carton was approaching $19. We both thought at the time that was ridiculously expensive. I don't even know how people afford them nowadays. Sorry to preach on; reformed smokers are the WORST! :lmao: Good luck with everything. :hug::shamrock:

I hope everything goes smooth this morning,

I understand the medical aspect of cost. We hit our out of pocket max (just between DD and myself) by July. DD's was by like March. It has been a rough year. Thankfully once we hit our out of pocket max we pay nothing. So the second half of the year we have haven't had to pay anything but the beginning half was brutal and our savings took a big hit.

Everything went well yesterday, except I didn't anticipate insurance using so much towards the dentures so when we went to the surgeon, our oop cost went up dang near $2k. Thankfully they allowed us to pay what we were expecting to pay, then will resubmit to insurance again, and then bill for the rest.

Now I'm on to trying to figure out our December vacation budget.

Everything went well yesterday, except I didn't anticipate insurance using so much towards the dentures so when we went to the surgeon, our oop cost went up dang near $2k. Thankfully they allowed us to pay what we were expecting to pay, then will resubmit to insurance again, and then bill for the rest.

Now I'm on to trying to figure out our December vacation budget.
Glad everything went well with the procedure! Sorry to hear about the out of pocket costs. :(

Was this your dental insurance? When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, they submitted it to my dental insurance and my health insurance. They both paid and I ended up getting a check from the surgeon several months later for about $300 for the amount that he was overpaid.

Was this your dental insurance? When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, they submitted it to my dental insurance and my health insurance. They both paid and I ended up getting a check from the surgeon several months later for about $300 for the amount that he was overpaid.

It was dental. Maybe I'll have them submit to medical as well and see what they say.

anyone else running the numbers on their 2023 budget?
Hi. Looking at coming back for 2023. 2023 Budget is ready. I am hoping it will be much better in terms of paying off all credit card debt (Most of it is interest free but I still want it gone). I did not do well with my 2022 goals but life happens. Onward and upward.

Debt Goal- Half of all credit card debt (even interest free paid before the end of 2022)

Current life goal- See a dentist. I have a fear and a tooth that is bothering me.

I recently learned that the federal government has required all health insurance companies to cover at-home covid tests that were purchased after Jan 15. So I submitted my receipts to Aetna a week or 2 ago and just received a check for $77. I always buy on Amazon so receipts are easy to provide.
It would have been around $60 more but I bought some on Jan 11. Darn.

The $77 is going into our Christmas fund which is my current goal. ($3k)

Hopefully this info is helpful for someone here.

Just keep swimming!
:fish::fish::fish:

Now that the King Kong on my back of student loans has been slayed, my new goal is to save for taxes, and retirement while cutting way back on spending. I’ve been buying DS7 all the things as if I’m apologizing for two years of pandemic, because I am. Growing up in this mess is ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter