• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

December Aulani with a Toddler-Trip report

LCC

Earning My Ears
Hi friends.

I learned so much from this board, the DVC Aulani board, and the bargain one that I just wanted to do a trip report to share. I'll share planning details (I LOVE TO PLAN!) and a review of our stay over the next few days.

We went to Aulani Dec 18-23. The weather was mild and I only used a light cardigan sweater once in the evening. I'm a Southern California gal who gets chilly once its under 70, so there's your reference. The only time I was cold was getting out of the hot tub in the evening or in the room!

The travelers: DH, DS age 3, and me.

Booking
I rented points from David's in mid March for Aulani in December. It took a day to hear back. I hear about 7 or 11 month booking windows, but I have no idea how that works or if it is hard to snag rooms this way. Either way, I was happy to get exactly what I wanted so quickly. Rack rate for Aulani was $3271 for 5 days. I paid less than half that using points. David's was prompt and answered all my questions and put in my room request with the owner.
Now that I've been to Aulani. 5 days is waaaay to short of you have preschool age children. There was so much to do for this age range. We are already thinking of going next year for a few more days.

Flights
Husband and I signed up for Hawaiian airlines credit cards. With the bonus points and the 50% off companion flight offers we were able to cobble together discount and points to buy flights for the three of us (me, DH, and DS 3). We just spent $1000 on each card within the first 3 months of opening the card and immediately paid it off once the points were credited. We paid the upgrade fee to sit in comfort class. Soooo much leg room! It was nice to have plenty of space with a toddler who needs to get up often to use the restroom. Note: We didn't buy all these seats in one transaction. Husband had 2 one way tickets and the kid and I flew as a round trip. We booked early enough to still get seats together, no problem. Note: I am a big time 0% APR credit card hopper due to some unexpected family law costs a few years ago that needed to be paid with a credit card, so I am used to playing the credit card point game. I can see this being a little bit of a nuisance to track...but it was well worth it for me to get discounted or free flights.
We debated on the bringing a car seat but ours are really wide and bulky. So we opted to buy a CARES harness. I got one off eBay for half off and it was awesome. It's a little seat belt attachment that converts the airplane seat lap belt into a harness. Very easy to install and gave me piece of mind in regards to safety on the plane without a car seat.

Rental Car
I made a reservation through Costco months before the trip for about $500 for the 5.5 days. I checked back often to watch for price drops and ultimately got a medium size car from Enterprise for $200 a month before the trip. My final price was a little higher because I had to rent a car seat.

Budgeting
I am a big Target shopper and a coupon clipper. I used my free Target gift cards (from buying my weekly groceries) and Redcard (5% off) to slowly, over the course of many months, buy Disney gift cards. Target also has a December 20% off Target gift card sale so I bought the max amount of those and then turned around and bought Disney gift cards with the Target cards. YMMV, Target recently changed their policies. There's a disboard forum that talks about the discounts you can do to buy gift cards. I found it helpful. Saving a bit over time was really good for me. It was nice to have over $600 in gift cards to use at Aulani without having that hit my bank account all at once. Note: Again, we also have Disneyland passes. So I knew I could spend it there if I didn't use all the cards at Aulani. Second note: I say "cards," but ultimately I consolidated them onto one card. Very easy to do online.

Last edited:
Arrival day

Hawaiian airlines was nice. The meal was ok but the free drink prior to landing put me in a vacation mood. Which is a good thing because no matter what the airport website says, Enterprise is technically offsite. Learned this the hard way. Lol

If you are taking Hawaiian airlines you likely will be on the far end of the airport to pick up your luggage on the other side from the main rental car terminal. It look about 5-10 minutes to walk to the baggage claim, but almost an hour to actually get luggage. If you're on this side and want to go to main car rental area- it's not a terribly far walk, but the shuttle would be a better idea if you have a lot of luggage. Or a cart.

After getting set up with the rental car, it was an easy drive to Aulani. I originally had all these grands plans of things to visit before going to Aulani since we landed around 11am. But luggage took almost and hour to collect and rental car took another hour (factoring in that I thought it was onsite). We arrived at Aulani at 1:30 and our room was ready. After leis and necklaces, we headed up to room to wait for porter to bring up our bags. That went fairly quick and we had 2:00 reservations at AMA AMA. DH went to park the car that we left in valet and off to lunch we went!! Our room was exactly what I wanted. We had island view and after researching on the DVC Aulani page, I had requested a high floor ending in 73 or 79. These rooms have a view of the lawn where the shows are and a little bit of an ocean view too. I was super excited. AMA AMA was good. I had let them know ahead of time my seafood and shellfish allergy and they gave me a menu with all those items removed. Very convenient. After that DH went back to the room to rest (he was recovering from a cold) and DS and I headed out to play at the Menehune water bridge. Later we grabbed a pizza at Ulu Cafe and bought a refillable mug.

I'll add more to this review over the next few days WITH PICS! :)

Second note: I say "cards," but ultimately I consolidated them onto one card. Very easy to do online.

This is awesome info, didnt know this could be done-thank you! Looking forward to more of your report

Great tips about the cards. We are going next summer and need to budget as well. How much are the refillable mugs?

How much are the refillable mugs?
I believe the mugs were $18.99. We thought about getting 2 mugs, but started with one and it ended up being fine. Husband drinks some soda (he has chronic migraines and the caffeine helps) and I stick to iced tea. He likes iced tea too, so usually we just shared.

Last edited:

About the room.

We stayed in a studio.
Some random thoughts about the room:
  • There are no blankets. The bed is "triple sheeted" and the pull out couch only had one sheet. I found the room to be cold, but husband and kid run hot, so the AC was set at about 74 at night. I wore a sweater tho bed, but the other two seemed fine in pjs with the sheet. I could have requested blankets, but we travelled with a blanket for the kid on the plane, so I just snagged that sometimes.
  • The pull out couch was fine. Kid and I slept on it because I didnt trust my 3 year old not to fall out of the high bed. One night he did end up out of bed while I slept and had trouble figuring out where he was. While the pull out was "fine" I dont think anyone over 200 pounds would enjoy it. I couldn't feel the bars/springs when sleeping, but I could definitely tell they were there when I flopped onto it.
  • In the studio, in order to get to the bathroom, you need to walk through the sink and shower area. This didn't bother me, but it something to keep in mind if you have tweens and older ones who may not like you to walk in while they shower.
  • No make up mirror. Just mentioning this. This isn't really a want for me, and I hardly wore any make up because we were in the pool so much.
  • Studio fridge is spacious. I had Costco size salad, chicken salad, and pasta in there along with a pineapple, champagne, half gallon of milk and soy milk, and some leftovers. The fridge wasn't too cold at first so I had to crank down the temperature.
  • The theming is very subtle.
IMG_2733.JPG.jpeg
  • My room overlooked the lawn. With the door closed you could barely hear the movie and the luau. Unless you need complete silence at 8pm, it shouldn't bother you if you're on this side of the resort
IMG_2520.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for your review. That's a great island view room! What hotel are you looking at? I am so looking forward to my 1st Aulani stay this July.
I took advantage of that target card thing. I bought a bunch on raise.com I think and then bought Disney cards with the additional 5 percent target card. I then used that money to pay for DCL.
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter