deciding between the VWL or BLT for 3 nights

disgirl

DIS Veteran
Hi. We usually do DVC once a year in the summer. We usually stay at the BCV, which is a favorite of ours because of the location and SAB. However, last year, we could not get BCV for our whole stay so we tried BLT for 2 nights at the end of our BCV visit and liked it. I love the BLT 1 bedroom villa with 2 bathrooms and enjoyed the lake view we had. This year, however, I am thinking about experiencing another resort along with the BCV again, but am contemplating trying the VWL instead of BLT. DH and DS want BCV, of course, but did enjoy BLT last year and would be willing to do a split stay with the BCV and BLT again.

I am just curious if any of you have opinions on the VWL compared to BLT and if you have stayed at both, which you prefer and why. Also, can anyone comment on the VWL pool? We are all adults (our son is 20.) We found the BLT main pool to be a bit crowded. I know each hotel has its positive points and I realize each guest/family looks for different things in their resort stay. However, I would love to hear from others. Thanks so much for your input. We will need to make reservations in a couple of weeks for August. :)

I have stayed at both and much prefer VWL. I love the atmosphere at WL its probably my favorite vacation club but we usually stay at the BWV for the proximity to HS and Epcot. The pool is adequate doesn't compare to SAB but that isn't very important to my family. I recommend trying VWL at least once.

Although my DW and I thoroughly enjoyed BLT, I would still recommend giving VWL a try if you've never stayed there. I doubt that you'd be disappointed.

Thanks so much for the replies. Anyone else? Love to hear your responses, thanks.

First off, we LOVE VWL, so I am a bit biased as you can see from my signature. :)

However, I'd recommend that you go back to BLT for a couple of reasons you mentioned...

Hi. I love the BLT 1 bedroom villa with 2 bathrooms and enjoyed the lake view we had.

Two of the "shortcomings" of VWL are right in that sentence. While VWL has nice views of trees, it is mostly just that...trees! We have stayed at BLT and the Lake View rooms have a majestic view of Bay Lake, the boats and parasailers, etc. Hands down, the views at BLT are better than VWL, even if you get a room at VWL with a glimpse of Bay Lake.

Another aspect is that VWL does not have the extra bathroom in the 1BR and 2BR like some other resorts (nor does it have the sleeping chair).

Lastly, the pool at WL is probably the weakest resort main pool on property. The slide is fine for kids up to about 5 years old, but nothing like the slides at other properties.

I only recommend BLT because the things you liked about it are not WL/VWL's strong points. If you like serenity, wonderful theming and a resort that can transport you to another place and time then VWL might be a great choice. Good luck! :)

Also, can anyone comment on the VWL pool? We are all adults (our son is 20.) We found the BLT main pool to be a bit crowded.

The main pool at WL can be crowded also but the quiet pool at the Villas is one of our favorites on property. We haven't visited in August but it's never been busy when we've stayed there. Of course there are no slides at that pool since it is the quiet pool but if that isn't important and crowding is the concern then you probably would enjoy it. It's not SAB though - just a nice pool and hot tub in the woods right out the doors of the villas.

For comparison - I consider BCV and VWL to be two of the most similar DVC resorts (except for the SAB factor). Rooms are the same layout, both have similar QS options (although I give an edge to VWL), quiet pools are similar, views are similar. BLT and VWL are fairly different from each other except for proximity to MK but we enjoy both and the different pluses of each.

We have stayed at both and I prefer BLT but that's because I loved the CR area before buying DVC. VWL is beautiful and it's my DD16's favorite. She really like the pool. It is not quite as convenient to MK as BLT but the boat ride is not bad. I like the quick service food at the CR better than at WL but if you enjoy the peaceful feel of the woods, then you will enjoy VWL.

Good luck!!

We love to check out new resorts and have stayed at both BLT and VWL. They both have their uniqueness that is quite special. I just love the themeing at VWL and walking through WL is just gorgeous. Now BLT I also really like the two bathrooms in a one bedroom and enjoy their views - both lake and theme park. We also really like BLT as when leaving MK with huge crowds such at Christmas time we can just walk on home! And now that my kids are older tweens they prefer the BLT's pool and slide - VWL slide just too small for them now. Plus they love the CR and would walk across to the skybridge to refill drinks, eat, watch monorails etc...

Ok so not much help - both are great and you can't go wrong. I think it depends on if you want to check a new resort out.

Thanks for all the replies. Honestly, I think the VWL lobby and resort does look beautiful. It reminds me of the GC, which we stayed at once, before it went DVC, and I LOVED that resort. Also, as many of you said, if you like trees and a more quiet feel, this resort would be great. Yes, I certainly would like that, but on looking at more pictures and reading your posts, not sure if I do like the darker decor of the rooms and the size of the pool, although an attractive shape and surroundings. It does look small and may be just as crowded as BLT in August.

My ds and dh now say they would like to go back to BLT cause they too liked the lake view and the 1 bedroom size with a second bath. I am a little disappointed, as I would have liked to try a new resort and probably should this once, but I guess we will go with what we know we enjoy. I was so thrilled I got to try a new DVC resort last year. Now, I just have to hope I can get both resorts for August. Thanks again for all your thoughts and reviews. :)

Besides all the comments already written, one thing we liked about VWL's quiet pool is that it was cooler than BW's, where we were staying at the time. The extra shade was really appreciated in July too.

Since you'll be so close, you can take a boat over the VWL and check it out, swim in the pool too.

We are also trying to choose between BLT and VWL. We have stayed at BLT before and loved the convenience since we have small kids. We have also stayed at the main lodge pre-kids and loved the atmosphere. I am leaning towards VWL but have two questions. I remember taking a boat to the MK but I remember them being fairly small. Our stroller is fairly bulky even folded. Will it be a problem on the boats? Also does the lodge have a spray area for kids like BLT does?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter