"Delaying tactics" at character meals?

holcomb-mania

DIS Veteran
I know character meals, especially at certain restaurants, can be hectic, with abbreviated character time. I understand why they must do this, but.....can we do anything about it? Within reason, of course.

- Not having the camcorder quite "ready" when the characters arrive, allowing a little more interaction between the kids and the characters.

- Camera problems...Oh wait! I can fix it! Just one second!

Any other ideas? Or would taking up another 60 seconds of the characters' time be considered rude by others?

Is there anyway that you can make your PS for the first seating time available instead? We always visit during the slower times of the year and schedule our character meals for the first available seating. It has been more common for us to have the opposite problem. The characters are all ready to go but the restaurant isn't full yet . . . so they KEEP coming by. Last time we were at the Garden Grill we were tempted to tell them they didn't have to come by anymore because my DH and I were getting tired of them!!!

Beat it, Cindy! We're trying to eat! That would be hilarious.

The off-peak times would work for some, but I was thinking of things EVERYONE could use. There are only so many off-peak PS times available.

I'm thinking not of situations where you would monopolize the characters, just stealing 30 or 60 seconds. For the children. ;)

What you are suggesting may or may not work. I've had some characters be more than nice when I've had a real problem with my camera. But some will just wave, and then walk away. So, unless you get an entire group of VERY nice CM's you'll probably get more than one who won't hang around and move to the next table.

Im not sure where most of you Character meals are but early is better, The best were 1900 Park Fare at the GF and Cape MAy Cafe at the Beach club for brkfst. At both places Characters stayed extremely long and at Cape MAy we were the 1st seating and the characters were just hanging around with us. My kids are 9 and 14, so it wasn't like we had tiny kids. The characters were just very friendly this past July

Hope you try these places
you won't be disappointed!!

Jack

I'm laughing because this is my DH pet peeve. He hates it when we get behind the people who first do the video camera, then the regular camera, then the autograph book. We just snap one picture, but I have warned him to be ready for the autograph book when our kids are a little older.

We found the characters at Crystal Palace to give plenty of time with our kids. (Our PS was 8:15) Tigger even jumped around with them and Eeyore acted shy with our kids. This is just a thought, but maybe when you don't do the autograph book and video camera, your kids get more personalized attention.

You do realize that EVERYONE wants as much "character time" as possible?? And it's always for our Children. My Son would like to spend as much time with Mickey as possible too- SO please DON'T HOG the characters.:(

This is my kids' second trip. Another is not planned for years. After looking at the number of trips you've taken, and will take, you have the nerve to accuse me of hogging characters?

For us this is a huge expenditure, and getting another 60 seconds with a character is not much to ask. Don't expect an apology.

The characters do their best a quite often come back for a second visit... they are on a schedule and they will pat your kid on the head and move on if they have to.

My pet peeve is when the character is at your table visiting and a kid from somewhere else comes over and tries to hug him or get an autograph... I don't blame the kid, they are just excited but I blame the parents for letting them run around and not wait their turn.

holcomb, I would not worry too much about what might happen at a character meal, but if you feel your child didn't have a fair chance to meet the character - say something to your waiter or hostess and they will try to bring them back around to see you.

>>^..^<<

characters are EVERYWHERE it seems, on our last trip my 2 year old has more pictures with characters then anything else, and most of them were NOT at character meals but in the parks. We did do 4 character meals.

MGM back on one of the streets behind Muppet Vision 3-D, we ran into a whole slue of them... Queen of Hearts, Rafiki, Timon, Pinochio, Beast, Chip and Dale and a few others and there was hardly anyone else around. My son go to spend time with each one of the characters and get his picture taken.

I believe you will find that your children will have plenty of time to see the characters and the extra 60 seconds of trying to remember to say your camera is broke will not be necessary.

Just enjoy the time they are there and enjoy watching your children. I find taking a picture, video taping and getting autographs takes away from the experience.

Wait till your kids are smiling and take that precious shot then enjoy the rest of the time watching the kids.

Look at it this way too... if everyone took a picture, got an autograph, and spent time with their video camera then it would take hours for each character to get around the room.

I would much rather spend my hours in the parks enjoying the rides then waiting for a character to come to my table.
Just an observation...:wave:

The best character experience we had was at Goofy's Kitchen at DL. My DD - then 5 had a Rafiki stuffed animal, with baby Rafiki attatched, she had purchased in Adventureland. Well Rafiki was there and he held it up like it was Simba, and all the other characters made a fuss over it, Goofy kept twirling it around and hitting his nose, my kids were cracking up the whole time. So I would suggest a prop that deals with a character at the meal. I think it just gives the character more ideas on what to do at the table. I would also schedule as many of the meals as late or early as possible to. It also seems like you get more time at the hotel meals then the park meals. Just something to consider.

Wow!!! I was just asking you to consider all of the other Children who are at the same Character Meal - If everyone is considerate of the fact that every child (and alot of adults ;) ) want to spend as much time with the Characters as possible - then it's fair for everyone - right? Disney does a superb job of making sure each and every guest gets treated equitably - it's one of the reasons we like Disney so much.

In my new work location, I deal with many people who are 'pretending' to get leverage. CMs catch on, and I think you'll find that you will get better results by being genuine. Especially if it happens more than once in a single meal, this type of behavior will probably irk the other guests (who are paying just as much and love their children as well) enough to make it not worth the trouble.
If you are at the Crystal Palace and feel that you have not gotten enough time with the characters (which I have never seen happen there), remember that after the meal, Pooh and his friends will be in the Toontown Hall of Fame for the rest of the day.

Originally posted by holcomb-mania
For us this is a huge expenditure, and getting another 60 seconds with a character is not much to ask. Don't expect an apology.

Do you really think that you are paying more than anyone else for your breakfast? Everyone is paying the same amount, and should have the same access to the characters. Sixty seconds IS a lot time as far as character interaction goes.

Regardless of how many trips a person takes it has no bearing on this thread.

I just took my neice and nephew on their FIRST WDW trip, and they probably won't get back there for a very long time. Just because I have been there many times, doesn't mean that those traveling with me have. Keep that in mind.

I'm sure this is an expensive trip for you. But it is for EVERYONE ELSE as well.

If you want more character time, as others have pointed out, there are plenty of opportunities to spend time with them in the parks. You will have to decide which is a priority for your family, waiting in line to see characters, or visiting attractions.

In my experience the characters won't wait for you to "fix" your camera, they'll sign and move on with a wave. There are just too many other children who also want to see them, and they try to be as fair as possible.

Make a Wish and Give Kids the World children are the exception, the characters do spend extra time with them. But they probably will NEVER be back. Think about that for a minute before you post a reply.

Anne

This is my kids' second trip. Another is not planned for years. After looking at the number of trips you've taken, and will take, you have the nerve to accuse me of hogging characters?

Why are you so defensive? It didn't seem to me that Nasmith "attacked" you personally. S/he (sorry!) is right. The characters know how to make everyone feel special in the time allotted. My child likes to spend time with the characters as much as any other child.

We spend ALOT of money also, does that mean we "deserve" extra time with them? Does that mean Disney should have a list of who is staying at the All Stars and who is staying at the Grand Floridian and that determines how much time you get with Mickey?

Many thanks to those who actually contributed something to the thread. The initial post was intended to be partly tongue-in-cheek, as some seemed to pick up on. Maybe I'll refrain from starting any more threads here.

nasmith-sorry to jump on you. Your post caught me at a particularly bad time last night. I shouldn't have done it, and regretted it afterwards. Sincerest apologies to you.

Many thanks to those who actually contributed something to the thread. The initial post was intended to be partly tongue-in-cheek, as some seemed to pick up on. Maybe I'll refrain from starting any more threads here...

I think EVERYONE who posted "actually contributed something to the thread."

I'm sorry but I also have trouble buying that "the initial post was intended to be partly tongue-in-cheek."

Your OP stated:

"Delaying tactics" at character meals?
I know character meals, especially at certain restaurants, can be hectic, with abbreviated character time. I understand why they must do this, but.....can we do anything about it? Within reason, of course.

- Not having the camcorder quite "ready" when the characters arrive, allowing a little more interaction between the kids and the characters.

- Camera problems...Oh wait! I can fix it! Just one second!

Any other ideas? Or would taking up another 60 seconds of the characters' time be considered rude by others?

You asked if it would "be considered rude by others" & I think posters answered your question, that yes, they would consider it rude, although you may not have been happy with their answer.

I honestly think that most folks are tired of dealing with some people's rude behavior & tired of those who always seem to be trying to *get over* on Disney & others. This kind of behavior always seems to backfire & ruins EVERYONE'S good time. I think the posters tried to answer your question politely and honestly.

I'm sorry if this may seem like a *flaming* because no one likes to be *flamed.* I think sometimes we all need to take a step back & not get so caught up in the frenzy of Disney that we do things that may infringe upon others.

Originally posted by Nuts4Disney
I'm sorry but I also have trouble buying that "the initial post was intended to be partly tongue-in-cheek."

Fine. Now I'm a liar AND a jerk. Believe what you wish, but my intentions were not "How do I screw over others at Disney?" I will agree I worded it poorly.

I have read for months of trip reports where others complain of rushed character meals. I had the idea (stupid in hindsight and poorly executed) of asking how to make the meals more enjoyable, or stories of past experiences of others (funny anecdotes, etc). In retrospect, I should've asked for such stories in the OP explicitly. FTR, our lone character meal last year went fine. And I didn't take individual pics of the kids with each character (as I witnessed), so no delays could be blamed on us.

I apologize to all those offended. I intended no harm.

<i>Ding - ding - ding!</i> Time out people.

Character interaction is important to a lot of folk, especially at the meals where that's often a specific reason for being there in the first place, but please remember - ultimately you are upsetting yourselves here over people (in the main) dressed in big furry suits ;)

Life is too short :)

Holcomb-Mania-- Apology not necessary- Everyone has bad days. I think it might be a great idea to drop this thread though. Like the Mod says- they really are just adults in hot, furry suits - But Never, ever tell our children that! Jill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter