delivery Fee Question

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
So I see all over the FB Disney pages that people are upset about a fee. Some say it is new and others say it has been around for a while but increased in cost.

Does this apply to DVC? Reason I ask is because they will never allow me to get my groceries and carry them back to the room. They also will not let me use a cart. They tell me that Bell services HAS to bring them to me. So is this just a way for them to make money since they wont let me do it myself? I have always tipped, so I dont think that is what this is. It sounds like a forced charge for bringing your groceries.

Having said that - been twice in less than a year and I was not charged this. So that is why it is confusing to me.

My understanding is that effective 4/1/19 a Delivery fee of $6 per order was implemented to deliver groceries by Bell Services to your Villa. Yes I understand it applies to DVC. You can always pick them up yourself, but no you can not use their carts.
Personally I think it is appropriate. The volume of deliveries to the resort has skyrocketed. Disney needs space and staff to handle it. They have refrigerators and freezers as well which obviously they don’t need for luggage storage.
And Bell Services staff should still be tipped IMHO. They are not getting the fee.

So if I place an order with AmazonPrimeNow, which allows me to track my order in real time, and I wait in the lobby for the driver and take the groceries myself, the resort will still try and charge me a fee for receiving them? Even if they never intercept them at all? Or is this only if they have to take delivery of a grocery order on behalf of a guest who is not present at the time of delivery and they have to store the order for them?

So if I place an order with AmazonPrimeNow, which allows me to track my order in real time, and I wait in the lobby for the driver and take the groceries myself, the resort will still try and charge me a fee for receiving them? Even if they never intercept them at all? Or is this only if they have to take delivery of a grocery order on behalf of a guest who is not present at the time of delivery and they have to store the order for them?
As I stated, the fee is for delivery of your order, not receiving your order

As I stated, the fee is for delivery of your order, not receiving your order
This is pretty crappy on Disney's part. IF they have NO interaction with the delivery at any point, then they should have NO reason to charge a fee for the delivery. What happens if I have a family member run to the store and grab a few groceries for me? Is Disney going to charge me $6 for me to meet them in the parking lot to pick them up?

I completely agree with imposing a fee IF the resort staff has to handle the groceries or store them for the guest. In that case, charging a fee is appropriate. But if I am coming down from my room, meeting the delivery driver in the parking lot and bringing in my groceries myself, then Disney has no business charging me for it. Are they going to start charging a fee for people to get picked up and/or dropped off by Uber/Lyft too?

This is pretty crappy on Disney's part. IF they have NO interaction with the delivery at any point, then they should have NO reason to charge a fee for the delivery. What happens if I have a family member run to the store and grab a few groceries for me? Is Disney going to charge me $6 for me to meet them in the parking lot to pick them up?

I completely agree with imposing a fee IF the resort staff has to handle the groceries or store them for the guest. In that case, charging a fee is appropriate. But if I am coming down from my room, meeting the delivery driver in the parking lot and bringing in my groceries myself, then Disney has no business charging me for it. Are they going to start charging a fee for people to get picked up and/or dropped off by Uber/Lyft too?

You may be misunderstanding what was said.

The fee is for having groceries delivered to your room. If you pick something up in the lobby and the front desk isn't involved, they aren't delivering anything to your room.

You may be misunderstanding what was said.

The fee is for having groceries delivered to your room. If you pick something up in the lobby and the front desk isn't involved, they aren't delivering anything to your room.
Yup, I misunderstood it...

I just got through reading the thread about this topic over on the Resorts board and I think I understand it a little better now:teeth:.

I was very interested in it because we have a split-stay coming up and my parents are starting over at Port Orleans for 2 nights, then moving to join us at AKV for 5 and then we all move to BWV for 3 more. My dad plans to just have Disney move his luggage from Port Orleans over to AKV, but I had told him that it would be easier for him just to take an Uber over and bring their luggage with them. I know that we will need assistance with a grocery order for 8 people that will cover 8 nights so I will happily pay the fee for assistance. I just want to make sure that there will not be a fee for the luggage transfer service, and on the Resorts board, a CM confirmed that luggage delivery is exempt from the fee.

I meant I wonder if bell services will accept beer or wine deliveries from delivery services now, I didn’t think that they currently did.

I meant I wonder if bell services will accept beer or wine deliveries from delivery services now, I didn’t think that they currently did.
They do, Its the individual delivery companies that have there own policies. I am having alcohol delivered in May for our stay and they are leaving it will Bell services as we wont be in till midnight. I will gladly pay the 6-10 bucks for them to deliver to our room for cold beer after a long flight.

If the fee is only $6 and they're doing me the favor of storing my groceries such that the perishables aren't going bad while I'm still flying in or am off doing something else, it's well worth it. I'll still be eating healthier and saving money over eating Disney food. I really wish we could borrow those luggage trollies though.

I don't think this is aimed at DVC owners.

The addition of refrigerators to resort rooms is the culprit IMO. Along with ease of ordering items from instacart/Prime, of course.

How does this interact with MF? We pay Bell Services with our dues already, will they discount the amount collected with this fee from the overall cost of the people working in Bell Services?
Otherwise why bill for this and not the parking fee?

How does this interact with MF? We pay Bell Services with our dues already, will they discount the amount collected with this fee from the overall cost of the people working in Bell Services?
Otherwise why bill for this and not the parking fee?
There are some legalities that prevent Disney from charging us to park when using our points. Otherwise, I'm sure they would zap owners along with hotel guests. Parking fees are 100% profit back to Disney.

Delivery of groceries etc to our rooms are outside of a bellhop's normal services rendered which is to move luggage about. Seems to me that Disney may be considering, or has hired an additional person to take care of these deliveries and hence the charge. It would make sense if this position was to be given a unique title to differentiate it from bell services and any confusion caused by what you mentioned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter